No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Nolan could do Bond in his sleep imho. He is an incredibly creative film maker. Sure Inception and particularly Interstellar may have been indulgent, and the latter overwrought. However, if one considers the ambition in both narratives and the skill it must have taken to conceptualize, pull it together and put it on film, it's truly awe inspiring, at least to me.

Especially when his films resonate at the box office as well. There aren't too many who can do that. Certainly not Villeneuve, who is praised here but doesn't have that sort of track record.

He has his flaws, as do others, but he has proven with Dunkirk most recently that he is not a one trick pony. He has range.

As I've said previously, I think he has enough respect for Bond that if given the opportunity, would make a film for the ages - one that positively surprises his fans as well as his detractors. He's just one of those film makers that comes along once in a while. Like Spielberg, I doubt he will get the chance though. I can't see EON giving it to someone as big as he is. If they move on from the franchise, then perhaps.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    If @PanchitoPistoles is making numerous members uncomfortable to the point where they don’t want to post anymore, shouldn’t the moderators @MI6 look into this?

In a thread devoted to Bond 25 news, this guy Panchito seems to be making himself the headline more often than the actual news.

I fully respect @ColonelSun and feel that numerous people feel victimised by certain others.

Oh please. I don't care who ColonelSun is, even if he was Cubby from the grave. His opinions are not worth more than any other member here. I'd like to read everyone's opinion, even if I don't agree with them. And if you can't stand the heat (without abusing or namecalling etc.), one shouldn't post here.

No one is saying his opinions are more valuable. No one said that, least of all the Colonel.

People on this site like hearing his opinions because he gets to report back from an insiders perspective (he's in the film industry, worked with EoN and has many friends who've been on these Bond films for literally decades).

So he gives a slightly more clear perspective than those jumping on tabloid reports of temper tantrums; for those who have no understanding of the film industry (DC has too much power! Babs doesn't know what she's doing!), or for those who have some strange agenda, as @RC7 has rightly called it... The Colonel brings, as others have noted, levity-- and sanity.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I don't know how much longer this situation with Colonel Sun needs to go on. Either join the discussion (we are happy to have you), or leave if desired. The choice is his. I don't see the point in continually derailing this thread to mention how something someone said has offended him, or how he doesn't feel respected. I would have the patience to hear what he has to say, on a separate thread like the free chat thread, but this heated row seems to have gone on for days back and forth, and frankly I'd prefer if we could leave that behind and focus on Bond.
    If @PanchitoPistoles is making numerous members uncomfortable to the point where they don’t want to post anymore, shouldn’t the moderators @MI6 look into this?

In a thread devoted to Bond 25 news, this guy Panchito seems to be making himself the headline more often than the actual news.

I fully respect @ColonelSun and feel that numerous people feel victimised by certain others.

Oh please. I don't care who ColonelSun is, even if he was Cubby from the grave. His opinions are not worth more than any other member here. I'd like to read everyone's opinion, even if I don't agree with them. And if you can't stand the heat (without abusing or namecalling etc.), one shouldn't post here.
    Agreed.

I enjoy all opinions. This is a fan forum and not an industry forum. People are entitled to express themselves and everyone gets equal billing from me. Everyone, no matter how controversial their views may be.

If people want to discuss media reports, let them. If others want to contradict that, do so. Just back up your opinions. Justify your position. I learn a little bit every day from everyone here.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,756
    Yann Demange's White Boy Rick was shown at Telluride Film Festival last night.

Variety said it felt like a 'glorified TV movie with a better cast'.

Ouch.

Yes, but did you see that one film he directed? Based on the one film he created, he is now capable of directing James Bond. Reliable track records are silly.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    then it's just unsubstantiated paranoid speculation.
    This should be the thread title.

Yes, absolutely ;) And the title of the book/play Mi6 could publish in a few years :)

I too value @ColonelSul. And all the members that have come and gone over the years. I've left and come back some times myself. @NicNac knows it and he knows why. And Mi6 do their best to keep these pages going. We must respect them and try to be civil to each other. So, if one could stop making others see red, others would stop seeing red and things would not escalate.

I hope real news arrive, so we can all resume our natural discussions and stop speculating and getting paranoid. This is not good for the fan base. Wish they'd feed us something to ease the waiting. Anything at all. Even Daniel could very well post a pic of him training for the film and we'd know its on track.

• Mark_HazzardMark_Hazzard Classified
    It’s been a while since I’ve been on the forum. This week I was keen to learn more about the recent B25 developments so I came to have a look what’s the latest intel was in the Community.

I must say I’m quite disappointed with how violent and nasty the discussions have gotten on this thread. Perhaps we have some trolls or Russian agents among us? I’ve always thought that this forum had a decent level, worthy of Bond and the legacy.

The whole situation surrounding B25 is just depressing for all the stakeholders:
    - DC tries to make a decent finale to end his tenure
    - EON really feels they want to up their game since SP
    - Boyle and Hodge can’t work out their original idea
    - Us fans are left waiting in uncertainty

I’ve also been fan of DC as an actor, not as a producer. Nonetheless given the length of his involvement with the franchise, I can imagine him having a say on a couple of things.

Killing off Bond would be a very drastic move in my humble opinion, not the least because this would give support to this atrocity of a “code-name” theory.

So far there is a lot of speculation in the press and on this thread. Perhaps it’s better for everyone to keep calm and carry on with their lives until there is actual news.

Here is a suggestion to kill some time: start penning your own script for a Bond movie, rather than writing down rubbish here about everyone.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Nolan could do Bond in his sleep imho. He is an incredibly creative film maker. Sure Inception and particularly Interstellar may have been indulgent, and the latter overwrought. However, if one considers the ambition in both narratives and the skill it must have taken to conceptualize, pull it together and put it on film, it's truly awe inspiring, at least to me.

Especially when his films resonate at the box office as well. There aren't too many who can do that. Certainly not Villeneuve, who is praised here but doesn't have that sort of track record.

He has his flaws, as do others, but he has proven with Dunkirk most recently that he is not a one trick pony. He has range.

As I've said previously, I think he has enough respect for Bond that if given the opportunity, would make a film for the ages - one that positively surprises his fans as well as his detractors. He's just one of those film makers that comes along once in a while. Like Spielberg, I doubt he will get the chance though. I can't see EON giving it to someone as big as he is. If they move on from the franchise, then perhaps.

Yes, this is my opinion as well. One day, perhaps. Perhaps even Bond 26. But probably not this one, whenever it comes. But yes, Nolan would love doing it. And that would show.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,007

For me it was the opposite. DUNKIRK proved to me was that Nolan wasn't able to put his own indulgences aside to tell a good story and reaffirmed the one-trick pony comment. Yes, there was technical mastery on display for sure - that is one of his many positives - but even still it's held back by his recent inability to just tell a simple story well. It's why I haven't had an urge to revisit the film since it came out.

Since Inception he has told two complicated stories badly and one simple story badly. There is a lot of imagination in his work, and the concepts are all pretty strong. That certainly is to be admired, but it's all for moot if the execution isn't able to match that imagination.

I really don't want that sort of thing for Bond - at least not for a while yet. I want simple stories well told and executed with a bit of flair and style.

I'd find it hard to believe that Eon would have the gall to tell him to reign it in should he opt for something less conventional.

Of course, it could go the other way too. Based on that respect for Bond as a character, he could just make a straightforward Bond; strip away those signature traits that flow through his other films - but then what would be the point? Nolan would be making a diet version of himself.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Hasn't gone on for days, @Mendes4Lyfe -- Colonel came on yesterday, about 24 hours ago.

Anyways, I'd like to follow this Yann Demange criticism for his film, WBR-- form Variety:

"Although Demange directs the heck out of it, “White Boy Rick” ultimately feels like a glorified TV movie, albeit with a better cast and a much hipper score." This sounds like not so much a problem with the director, as with the story. Plus the kid playing Rick was someone they picked off the street (he is not a professional actor). This says a lot, to take an unknown and non-professional, and make him believable in his scenes and the over all film, is a talent of the director.

"Scuzzy. That’s the word to describe the tetanus-infected look and feel Demange brings to 1984 Detroit." -- texture is what I'm looking for in a director. Seems he delivered.

"playing secret agent must have been exciting — so why doesn’t the film set out to capture the cocky, chosen-one status Rick must have felt working for the authorities?"-- once again, this sounds like a story issue, and not the director's vision.

"Screenwriter Andy Weiss and brothers Logan and Noah Miller... leave out huge chunks of Wershe’s story..."

Disappointing review, but it sounds like Demange (who was hired on, this wasn't a project he built), did a fine job as director, but according to the reviewer, the script and its story-telling perspectives ultimately wasn't up to snuff.

I'm going to try and get my hands on some tickets when WBR comes to TIFF in a couple of weeks, but Demange is still my personal front runner for 25.

edited September 2018 Posts: 7,964
    peter wrote: »
    Hasn't gone on for days, @Mendes4Lyfe -- Colonel came on yesterday, about 24 hours ago.

Just feels like days then.
    Univex wrote: »
    Oh, btw, do you advocate for any actor to play JB in a Nolan film? Just curious.
    First of all, I think the next Bond actor should be somewhere between 30 and 35 when filming of his first Bond movie starts. (I would want to next Bond actor to be young and full of vitality.) Since filming of the next Bond's first movie will likely start around 2023, my ideal candidate is somewhere between 25 and 30 now.

I think the next Bond actor should be one of these three people:
    1. Nicholas Hoult
    or two young actors Nolan has worked with before:
    2. Jack Lowden (the younger pilot in Dunkirk)
    3. Harry Styles (I am dead serious)
    Oh, btw, do you advocate for any actor to play JB in a Nolan film? Just curious.
    First of all, I think the next Bond actor should be somewhere between 30 and 35 when filming of his first Bond movie starts. (I would want to next Bond actor to be young and full of vitality.) Since filming of the next Bond's first movie will likely start around 2023, my ideal candidate is somewhere between 25 and 30 now.

1. Nicholas Hoult

If Styles gets anywhere near a Bond film, that's me done with the films, that's for sure.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Guys, this is not the place to discuss a feud between members. I'm not a moderator, but I suggest you continue this through private messages because it's becoming very tiring. It's best to drop it altogether, because this is just an internet forum, not real life.

This is a thread about Bond 25, and I don't wish to read about who contributes more or who is passive aggressive and whatnot. It creates a toxic atmosphere.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,964

1. Nicholas Hoult

NO WAY to Hoult, but the other two are good picks.
    Guys, this is not the place to discuss a feud between members. I'm not a moderator, but I suggest you continue this through private messages because it's becoming very tiring. It's best to drop it altogether, because this is just an internet forum, not real life.

This is a thread about Bond 25, and I don't wish to read about who contributes more or who is passive aggressive and whatnot. It creates a toxic atmosphere.

Thank you.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883

It certainly does.

Yes, this is my opinion as well. One day, perhaps. Perhaps even Bond 26. But probably not this one, whenever it comes. But yes, Nolan would love doing it. And that would show.
    There's something to be said for a director who has genuine passion for the subject matter. I for one truly believe he would give us something special, but honestly doubt he will get the chance. Maybe once Gregg is in charge, as he's said some positive things about Nolan. I somehow can't see it with Babs in the chair though. I just feel she may not want to let someone that big get a hold of the franchise, lest he become the story, rather than Bond.

For me it was the opposite. DUNKIRK proved to me was that Nolan wasn't able to put his own indulgences aside to tell a good story and reaffirmed the one-trick pony comment. Yes, there was technical mastery on display for sure - that is one of his many positives - but even still it's held back by his recent inability to just tell a simple story well. It's why I haven't had an urge to revisit the film since it came out.
    Don't you think it was inventively done though, with the interspersed timeline and so on? Was it difficult to follow on first viewing? Yes, but I really enjoyed it the second time around. It was also very different to his 'talky' exposition driven prior films. Very lean, short and mean. Visceral and yet thought provoking, at least for me.
    Since Inception he has told two complicated stories badly and one simple story badly. There is a lot of imagination in his work, and the concepts are all pretty strong. That certainly is to be admired, but it's all for moot if the execution isn't able to match that imagination.
    I actually enjoyed how he wrapped up the Bat story (TDKR is perhaps my favourite - I alternate between that and BB), and personally love Interstellar if not for the melodrama which is laid on particularly thick. It's unfortunate.
    I really don't want that sort of thing for Bond - at least not for a while yet. I want simple stories well told and executed with a bit of flair and style.

I'd find it hard to believe that Eon would have the gall to tell him to reign it in should he opt for something less conventional.

Of course, it could go the other way too. Based on that respect for Bond as a character, he could just make a straightforward Bond; strip away those signature traits that flow through his other films - but then what would be the point? Nolan would be making a diet version of himself.
    I can understand the concern and it's potentially valid. I'm sure he knows people feel this way about him though. Perhaps he will surprise us all if he is given the keys. What better way to show how good you are than to deliver the unexpected.

In terms of him making a straightforward Bond film being pointless - we'd still have his directing skill on display, and that's certainly worth it imho. I'd take something like the TDK bank heist, truck flip, sky hook or TDKR plane sequence over anything in SP or QoS (opening car chase excepted) frankly. He also tends to get decent performances from his actors.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    then it's just unsubstantiated paranoid speculation.
    This should be the thread title.

Yes, absolutely ;) And the title of the book/play Mi6 could publish in a few years :)

I too value @ColonelSul. And all the members that have come and gone over the years. I've left and come back some times myself. @NicNac knows it and he knows why. And Mi6 do their best to keep these pages going. We must respect them and try to be civil to each other. So, if one could stop making others see red, others would stop seeing red and things would not escalate.

I hope real news arrive, so we can all resume our natural discussions and stop speculating and getting paranoid. This is not good for the fan base. Wish they'd feed us something to ease the waiting. Anything at all. Even Daniel could very well post a pic of him training for the film and we'd know its on track.
    we will be sifting through the thread very soon in an effort to bring it back to where it should be. Watch this space
  • For me, the Craig-era can't end soon enough. I've never accepted him as 007, though a very large part of the public has of course. Bond has never been as successful since Craig took over. As long as Craig is part of Bond 25, I can hardly get excited about it. It's just all meh. The fun has gone and all we've got is Bond that is constantly in touch with his emotions. All that angst and anxiety, I couldn't care less. I want escapism, crazy stunts, charm, humour... Hopefully the next one will bring that back.

At the moment it's all a bit of a mess. The producers had three years to come up with something new and instead of being ready to shoot in a couple of months. We have no director, probably not a script and even casting isn't done.

Personally, I think a delay is inevitable. Which saddens me, mostly because Roger Moore's record of longest serving Bond being broken, not because I want to see Craig back on the silver screen as 007.

For me, the Craig-era can't end soon enough. I've never accepted him as 007, though a very large part of the public has of course. Bond has never been as successful since Craig took over. As long as Craig is part of Bond 25, I can hardly get excited about it. It's just all meh. The fun has gone and all we've got is Bond that is constantly in touch with his emotions. All that angst and anxiety, I couldn't care less. I want escapism, crazy stunts, charm, humour... Hopefully the next one will bring that back.

At the moment it's all a bit of a mess. The producers had three years to come up with something new and instead of being ready to shoot in a couple of months. We have no director, probably not a script and even casting isn't done.

Personally, I think a delay is inevitable. Which saddens me, mostly because Roger Moore's record of longest serving Bond being broken, not because I want to see Craig back on the silver screen as 007.

I respect your opinion and 100 percent agree.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'd like to see how all the other Bond would have coped in the Internet age and what Craig has had to put up with.

Guess we'll never know but Connery would have thrown is toys out of the pram much sooner due to his tolerance with the media back then.

What actors have had to deal with has intensified so much more in the advent of the internet, we'll see how the next guy does.

I don't think a delay is inevitable in fact I'm willing to bet everything goes to schedule, fine you don't like Craig then butt out and wait for an actor more to your pleasing.

I had to stomach Brosnan in the role, we can't always have what we like it's just a fact of life.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,888

I know some, if not most see this as insane, but soon after the release of Dunkirk pitched him as a possibility. One has to look past his “boy band” origins . He has an immense amount natural charisma, an intensity that has yet to be fully utilized and, with the right haircut, a great look that will only get better as he ages; he’s also 6’ tall.
    If Nolan does take the reigns, we’re looking at a 2022/23 posssibly 24 release; that puts Styles in the 28 to 30 range.
  • RC7RC7

Funny. That’s how it feels reading your daily updates. You know, the ones that are essentially the same point reworded.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 485
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I'd like to see how all the other Bond would have coped in the Internet age and what Craig has had to put up with.

Guess we'll never know but Connery would have thrown is toys out of the pram much sooner due to his tolerance with the media back then.

What actors have had to deal with has intensified so much more in the advent of the internet, we'll see how the next guy does.

I don't think a delay is inevitable in fact I'm willing to bet everything goes to schedule, fine you don't like Craig then butt out and wait for an actor more to your pleasing.

I had to stomach Brosnan in the role, we can't always have what we like it's just a fact of life.

Echoing my own sentiments really. Was never happy about Brosnan's casting - nor Campbell's mean-spirited trashing of Dalton's portrayal in the Goldeneye publicity - and just had to bide my time during the Brosnan era.

There's plenty of Bond material to return to if you're unhappy with Craig and the 7th Bond will be with us in the next five years.

It is indeed an ailment of the internet age in that people have an insatiable appetite for news and information that they don't really need as they swipe to refresh Facebook and Twitter constantly.

Naturally as fans we would be interested in the minutiae of production details for each film but how much of the 'dirty laundry' do we really and genuinely need to know? I respect the courtesy of EON saying 'creative differences' and leaving it there. No point looking to fuel an anti-Craig agenda on false assumptions he is a prima-donna. Funny how Colonel Sun's debunking of that hasn't gone well with some.

We'll know from EON of the next developments when they are good and ready. YES of course it is fun to speculate, but I personally find this constant wishful thinking that a Nolan directed Bond film starring Adian Turner is just round the corner because of tabloid click-bait articles has proved far more repetitive and tedious than yesterday's solitary but much welcome reality check from @ColonelSun.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Very well written, @Cowley ... I’m going to have to look up what Campbell said about Dalton!
    Judging by the title of the thread (i don't read entire thread tbh, sorry :( )

I think this rumour may be real. That sounds logical to me.

And....if that's really is the truth....why????

Why would you hire another writer??? What am I missing?

Boyle wanted to work with his writer...he probably wrote a good script....idk..I don't get it...why?

Also...today is 1st day of September....

If we don't get new director by the end of this month...I'll start to get worried :(
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    vzok wrote: »
    Still not sure that Bond should be aiming for more action (or trying to compete with MI). Spying and intrigue maybe.

They found the perfect balance in OHMSS.

When all is said and done, hundreds of years from now, this will be the Bond film that survives. Soderbergh was right.
  • For me, the Craig-era can't end soon enough. I've never accepted him as 007, though a very large part of the public has of course. Bond has never been as successful since Craig took over. As long as Craig is part of Bond 25, I can hardly get excited about it. It's just all meh. The fun has gone and all we've got is Bond that is constantly in touch with his emotions. All that angst and anxiety, I couldn't care less. I want escapism, crazy stunts, charm, humour... Hopefully the next one will bring that back.

A bigger problem in the Craig era is the breakdown of licensing - Bond hasn't had a good video game in over a decade, the toys and merchandise have declined, all while the gaps between films get longer. A significant amount of 20-30 something Bond fans likely got involved in the franchise through ancillary methods, but where's the stuff to build the next generation of fans? Why should a 12 year old care about James Bond today?
  • RC7RC7
    Cowley wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

Echoing my own sentiments really. Was never happy about Brosnan's casting - nor Campbell's mean-spirited trashing of Dalton's portrayal in the Goldeneye publicity - and just had to bide my time during the Brosnan era.

There's plenty of Bond material to return to if you're unhappy with Craig and the 7th Bond will be with us in the next five years.

It is indeed an ailment of the internet age in that people have an insatiable appetite for news and information that they don't really need as they swipe to refresh Facebook and Twitter constantly.

Naturally as fans we would be interested in the minutiae of production details for each film but how much of the 'dirty laundry' do we really and genuinely need to know? I respect the courtesy of EON saying 'creative differences' and leaving it there. No point looking to fuel an anti-Craig agenda on false assumptions he is a prima-donna. Funny how Colonel Sun's debunking of that hasn't gone well with some.

We'll know from EON of the next developments when they are good and ready. YES of course it is fun to speculate, but I personally find this constant wishful thinking that a Nolan directed Bond film starring Adian Turner is just round the corner because of tabloid click-bait articles has proved far more repetitive and tedious than yesterday's solitary but much welcome reality check from @ColonelSun.

An assessment with laser-guided precision.
  • The Mirror purports to have information that Bond 25 will have an open-ended conclusion modeled after From Russia With Love so Daniel Craig can be lured back for Bond 26. Yes, I know, it's the Mirror.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/james-bond-team-find-continuing-13172083?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
    The Mirror purports to have information that Bond 25 will have an open-ended conclusion modeled after From Russia With Love so Daniel Craig can be lured back for Bond 26. Yes, I know, it's the Mirror.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/james-bond-team-find-continuing-13172083?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
    I wouldn't be surprised. They'd be smart to keep it open ended (like they did SP), because history has shown that we (and probably they) have no idea what the future will bring. So even though they're probably shooting from the hip with this deduction, I can see it playing out this way.