No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    EON has tweeted the teaser poster for Shatterhand!:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeW2CjQRzDoN2cVW2-iPJVKaQ5H5qlUuAIZKrUwdtBJ97nXxSE

:P

Blimey are people on here comparing FYEO to Raiders of the Lost Ark ?!?!?!
    I’m of the controversial opinion that Crusade may be superior to Raiders.

Both great films but Crusade just has the edge for me. Probably because of Sean’s presence.

Never liked Temple and haven’t even watched Skulls.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    I’m of the controversial opinion that Crusade may be superior to Raiders.

Both great films but Crusade just has the edge for me. Probably because of Sean’s presence.

Never liked Temple and haven’t even watched Skulls.
    You're not alone. I prefer Crusade to Raiders, and not just because of Big Sean. There's also Doody. It also feels much more Bondian to me and has a certain flair. I didn't like Temple either, except for the opening Bond riff. I came late to the Raiders party and frankly could never see what the big deal was (can't stand Karen Allen either). I like nearly every Bond film (except for a few of Brozza's, Craig's and AVTAK) more than I do most Raiders films.

Die Hard is a different question entirely. I'd put the first three ahead of many Bond films.

Love Harrison and Bruce though. Like the great Tom, these guys elevated any franchise offering they were in. Megastars in their prime.
    It seems the Danny Boyle situation has made other studios re-plot their schedules. The new Terminator movie has moved dates in November 2019 to get a more comfortable window now that Bond 25 has been delayed

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3518668/terminator-time-travels-earlier-date/

Bond and Terminator both appeal to a very similar demographic, so there is a chance that this is Paramount's attempt to capitalise on Universal's loss.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It seems the Danny Boyle situation has made other studios re-plot their schedules. The new Terminator movie has moved dates in November 2019 to get a more comfortable window now that Bond 25 has been delayed
    Bond has been delayed? First I've heard of it. When did this get announced?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3518668/terminator-time-travels-earlier-date/

Bond and Terminator both appeal to a very similar demographic, so there is a chance that this is Paramount's attempt to capitalise on Universal's loss.

But has B25 been delayed?
    No...B25 is still on schedule,no change.
  • fanbond123 wrote: »
    EON has tweeted the teaser poster for Shatterhand!:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeW2CjQRzDoN2cVW2-iPJVKaQ5H5qlUuAIZKrUwdtBJ97nXxSE

:P

Theme song lyrics:

He has a hand that SHATTERS!
    He's got a SHATTERHAND!
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    edited August 2018 Posts: 805
    All this hysteria over Bond dying in 25 is a bit OTT me thinks. Obviously EON wouldn't sanction seeing their golden goose being well and truly cooked in this way.

No doubt this would've have been an ambiguous interpretation, making it easier to transition to the new actor in 26. I've thought for a while that the change to a new actor from Craig will be one of the more difficult ones to pull off due to the way his interpretation has been self-contained with a clear passage of time from fresh faced new boy to grizzled veteran.

As the YOLT novel has been rumoured to be the main inspiration for the new film, I would imagine it would be an ending very similar to that, so something like:

- Bond defeats baddie in cliff top castle
    - Castle explodes
    - Bond presumed dead
    - Solemn ceremony aboard Royal Navy vessel, Union Jack draped empty coffin dropped overboard
    - End titles
    - Post credit scene - shot of empty beach, waves lapping at sand, union jack washed ashore. Pan to still white hand, twitches. Cuts to black.

Bond 26
    - opens with - aboard Royal navy ship. Officer looking through binoculars to small island. Sees well-built man exit treetop den with pacific island lovely. "I think we've found him Sir". Cue Tom Hardy...
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    All this hysteria over Bond dying in 25 is a bit OTT me thinks. Obviously EON wouldn't sanction seeing their golden goose being well and truly cooked in this way.

No doubt this would've have been an ambiguous interpretation, making it easier to transition to the new actor in 26. I've thought for a while that the change to a new actor from Craig will be one of the more difficult ones to pull off due to the way his interpretation has been self-contained with a clear passage of time from fresh faced new boy to grizzled veteran.

As the YOLT novel has been rumoured to be the main inspiration for the new film, I would imagine it would be an ending very similar to that, so something like:

- Castle explodes
    - Bond presumed dead
    - Solemn ceremony aboard Royal Navy vessel, Union Jack draped empty coffin dropped overboard
    - End titles
    - Post credit scene - shot of empty beach, waves lapping at sand, union jack washed ashore. Pan to still white hand, twitches. Cuts to black.

Bond 26
    - opens with - aboard Royal navy ship. Officer looking through binoculars to small island. Sees well-built man exit treetop den with pacific island lovely. "I think we've found him Sir". Cue Tom Hardy...

This would actually be awesome. Chris Hemsworth though I think would be better suited to this kind of Bond.

It's just occurred to me but is it possible that Hodge's script was actually working within the YOLT parameters as well as Purvis and Wade?
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    peter wrote: »
    Indy vs McClane/ Raiders vs Die Hard...

Indy was fun and flashy and creative and scary-- it was the the 30s serial-type film they were going for... But-

John McClane, a NY city cop who's essentially trying to save his marriage (emotional stakes), as he comes up against a gang of sophisticated killers/thieves (physical stakes).

I love both. I do. I love 'em to bits. Both are iconic and game changers.

But I will, just barely, but always, take Mclane and his emotional and physical stakes over the serial/comic Indy Jones.

Please be gentle as you crucify me.

While Die Hard will always have special place for me, I can remember seeing it for the first time on VHS rental in my childhood home with my brother and a group of friends huddled round a 16" colour TV and although this was a home viewing this was more memorable that any number of cinematic outings of the day.

It's truly a great film and one that has stood the test of time, although I feel some bum notes rob it of being in the same place as Raiders or Jaws.

I've never been comfortable with Mclane practically blubbing to Al about his Wife and that soppy speech, it seems out of character for the JM we see for the rest of the film.

Also Hans Gruber spectacularly descending to his death should have been more than enough of a climax for the film with the nice gentle happy coda with John finally getting to meet Al and know that Holly is safe.

I've always from day one thought that tacked on (and that is what it is) bit with the late Alexander Gudunov rising from his stretcher looking to exact revenge on Mclane and giving Al his moment to redeem his past was a step too far.

Also it might not be but that piece of music they use at that stage sounds not like Kamen's score but music from James Horner's Wrath of Khan score? To me this suggests that was definitely an after thought that possibly the studio insisted on and Kamen had no music left to use so they went to an existing score to accompany it.

It just felt like being greedy and whereas that soppy dialogue moment could have been ignored possibly, the fact they went for this to me sullies this terrific film enough for it to lose points.

Although @peter I will take that over the suggestion that Speed or FYEO is anywhere near Die Hard let alone Raiders, Crusade loses points for making a mockery of Marcus Brody despite the chemistry between Harrison & Sean being utterly delicious. I don't feel one set piece gets close to any of the ones in Raiders.

First of all you get that genius move to use the Paramount mountain logo fade into the landscape of the start of the film and then the reveal of Indiana emerging from the shadows to reveal Ford's furious face,it is approaching Connery introducing himself at the tables back in 1962 with that immortal line.

I think Raiders is pretty much the playbook to create the near perfect action adventure film, not to copy it or rip it off (Octopussy) but to learn from it's structure and pacing. It literally begins and when it pauses for a breath the moments are memorable, intelligent and full of atmosphere before it moves onto the next legendary set piece.

It's one of the reasons I've never been a fan of the Miami truck chase in CR, it feels like a pale immitation and after that inspired utterly thrilling parkour sequence a little flat although it gets the job done.

FYEO is amatuer hour in comparrison, only SWLM would be the only Moore that might get some serious consideration, although the action in OHMSS is the only one that I would say gets anywhere near replicating what Raiders does.

@peter please PM me too I'm most interested to sample some of your work as well.

Once again thanks for offering some sanity amonsgt all this hysteria, although you offer some experience and insight alongside @RC7 and others, certain individuals seem determined to blow this into a tragedy of huge proportions, I remain ever optimistic that we'll get some word soon and Bond 25 is far from in it's coffin yet.

I think DC will bounce back from all of this and SPECTRE and well and truly go out in style, I really don't think he'd be returning to go out with a damp squib.

Shardlake wrote: »
    I think DC will bounce back from all of this and SPECTRE and well and truly go out in style, I really don't think he'd be returning to go out with a damp squib.

Hear, hear!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Good summary @Shardlake , and thanks for the very kind words.

I’ll PM you.

P
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Shardlake wrote: »

Also it might not be but that piece of music they use at that stage sounds not like Kamen's score but music from James Horner's Wrath of Khan score? To me this suggests that was definitely an after thought that possibly the studio insisted on and Kamen had no music left to use so they went to an existing score to accompany it.

Yes! I have always thought this ; I also think that bit of music has been lifted for a couple of other films .
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    Alert! We've got the next 007 : James Bun

• SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

has it?

- Castle explodes
    - Bond presumed dead
    - End titles

Bond 26

Ok actually...I am on board with this...

Bond is presumed dead.

We see a teaser of him obviously being shown alive or someone says something like "Yeah... I know he's not dead....trust me" - shot of Bond chilling somewhere. The end.

And then the new Bond is announced and shown chilling and we basically get a new start.

I like it!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

has it?
    It hasn't.
    Also..production titles mean nothing.

Wasn't Avengers called something like "Best friends" for its production title?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    For Your Eyes Only features a stuntman driving a motorbike down a bob sleigh. Not only is that insanely dangerous, if you ride off the side or hit the side you can be killed instantly or suffer horrendous injury, it's comparable to the danger of hanging to the underside of a moving vehicle in Raiders.

Shardlake,

To say
    FYEO is amatuer hour in comparrison,
    seems a bit insulting to everyone involved on that film, but hey, we all have our opinions! And anyway, FYEO had one of the most iconic scenes in the franchise - Bond eliminating Loque. That entire scene is a classic. The gun battle in the warehouse, the explosion, Bond chasing Loque, Bond aiming, firing his gun, the car swerving to the edge of the cliff type edge, Bond kicking the car.

Hardly amateur hour film making.
    It’s really comparing apples and oranges but overall Raiders is a much stronger film and makes one wonder what an 80’s Spielberg Bond could have been.like.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Seriously though, where did all the Craig hate come from all of the sudden?

I’d gladly go back in time to 2006 when Craig was just starting his run, simply to experience his Bond era all over again. He’s the reason for renewing my interest in Bond.

Hence the reason why I’m in full-blown panic mode over these recent developments. I’m CONCERNED we could be losing our leading man if a solution doesn’t arise. I’m not wishing him away like some people on this forum.

I am also stunned on this Craig hatred. If this rumours were true (Craig vetoing Campbell, Mendes and Boyle), that might have an hautgout, but we don't know about it. A lot of people were opposing Crai bei
    I'm betting that purvis and wade will come in and not only polish hodge's script but add elements from their draft shatterhand seems to make sense also with boyle's exit I guess christoph waltz can likely return as blofeld?

I also would like Waltz to come back as Blofeld. He said, he was not really happy with his performance, and that he did not manage to "nail the part" (probably also due to the muddled and huddled screenplay), and he might like the chance to improve. BTW, a German Bond forum posted back earlier this year (before Boyle and Hodge officially came on board), that the title would be SHATTERHAND. As the people there did not mention the source, they got it from, they presumably found that on the internet. At the time I did not give that much on the rumour, but maybe there was some truth in this. Or maybe not. The same forum did mention, that B25 might also see the return of Gregg Beam. Again, they did not mention the source for this, and I also did not believe this rumou. But if they bring back Spectre and Blofeld, it might make sense. Beam was on Quantum's pay-role, and he lost his job because of Bond, so he might now work for Spectre. But this is also just a rumour. Hopfully we might know more, come September or October.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Please cool it with the Raiders vs FYEO debate (not like the latter would win anyway). Totally off-topic.

Thanks.
    It’s what happens with no news...
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Has anyone contacted Baz about a potential update? His stories are usually dropped on Thursday evening.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I call my main man, Michael, "Mickey G."
    That's probably hipster as well.

And Craig then is "Danny Boy"? Or rather "Danny C"? No, that would be too close to "C". ;) :)

- Castle explodes
    - Bond presumed dead
    - End titles

Bond 26

PLEASE. MAKE THIS! Seriously...that is my dream for Bond 25. Well done sir!

SonofSean wrote: »

- Castle explodes
    - Bond presumed dead
    - End titles

Bond 26

Sure, but no Hardy, please.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Univex wrote: »
    SonofSean wrote: »

- Castle explodes
    - Bond presumed dead
    - End titles

Bond 26

Sure, but no Hardy, please.
    I'd be alright with the entire premise, but I'm also against Hardy being Bond.