No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2018 Posts: 12,459
    So many times another writer (or two or three) add "polish" or have input into a Bond film script. I don't know where the truth lies here. Hodge and Boyle sold their idea - which must have been good in EON's opinion as they went for it completely. But Hodge had not written a complete script yet? I am unclear on that. Had he done a synopsis? Interesting.

If Boyle quit because they wanted Hodge replaced completely, then I understand him quitting. But it is too bad this could not have been worked out. More than one writer on a script, okay.

I don't mind Craig having a say in the script.

I definitely do not want Forster back. I feel that EON will give us the new director in September.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I’m so confused. I thought everyone, including Craig was on board with the script/screenplay months ago. Why all of the sudden did they want Hodge out this late in the game? Does this mean they’re completely scrapping Hodge’s script? If so, there’s no way in hell this movie is coming out in 2019.

Simple, man, it’s coz Craig sucks and he’s a right royal git

• peterpeter Toronto
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,528
    They were on board with the idea. There was no script.

Wait- don’t make sense bruv— Deleted by mod for content
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    peter wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I’m so confused. I thought everyone, including Craig was on board with the script/screenplay months ago. Why all of the sudden did they want Hodge out this late in the game? Does this mean they’re completely scrapping Hodge’s script? If so, there’s no way in hell this movie is coming out in 2019.

Simple, man, it’s coz Craig sucks and he’s a right royal git

Nooooooooo, Peter. Not you too!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yah. Screw it @DonnyDB5 — done. Obvious DC’s a real nasty piece of you-know-what!

(Bit like invasion of the body snatchers, isn’t it!)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Come here for the Bond. Stay for the Raiders vs. FYEO competition, the musings about Baz (He's on holiday? How is that allowed?!!), and fans deciding how to best kill Bond off. At least this makes for good breakfast reading. ;)

Don't forget: Al Pacino!
    If I believed everything said about Craig in the last few months - heck, the last couple of weeks - my head would explode. (flashback to LALD - arghhh!)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,554
    bondjames wrote: »
    Danny Boyle, who quit when Daniel Craig and fellow producers insisted on replacing screenwriter John Hodge.

Who the hell does Daniel Craig think he is, telling Danny Boyle that his writer has to go? I've really had it with Craig's petulance and arrogance. He has to go. I now fully support @Mendes4Lyfe .
    If Bamigboye is correct, it suggests Boyle and Hodge should have done more due diligence about how Bond films work.

If Bamigboye is correct, it suggests EON should have done more due diligence about how Danny Boyle operates.

Baz writes a tabloid-esque line about Craig, meant to stir things up, and it works. Bond fans are on a fansite, getting all stirred up.

I guess it doesn't occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, what Boyle and Hodge ultimately wanted to do was beyond the pale.

Sorry. I am a Bond fan. I am siding with Craig and his four Bond films, all of which easily outgrossed Boyle's greatest success.
    If I believed everything said about Craig in the last few months - heck, the last couple of weeks - my head would explode. (flashback to LALD - arghhh!)

Indeed. It is out of control.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    You are wrong there, Peter. Not Craig, but Barbara Broccoli is the author of all our pain. Christopher Nolan will be the painkiller.

As for Craig, he is an excellent actor, but he is really full of himself nowadays. He seemed much more humble about a decade ago.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Peter cannot be serious in that sentence.

Truly let's stop the hating on Barbara, too. Geez.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Very interesting. From the above link.

---
    "There’s a lot of pressure on the producers of James Bond 25 to find a filmmaker to take over from Danny Boyle, who quit when Daniel Craig and fellow producers insisted on replacing screenwriter John Hodge.

Several studio sound-stages were booked for the picture. Problem is: do they hang on to them, or give them up?

Tense situation behind the scenes, finding a director prepared to be ruled over by Mr Craig
    ."
    ---

Two things from the above, if taken literally. First, they apparently wanted to replace Hodge. Furthermore Baz makes a point about Craig's control.

If I remember correctly, Boyle's involvement was always conditional on Hodge. That was noted when the story originally broke. So it's perhaps unsurprising that he left, if the above is true.
    It could of course be the rather common situation of the producers having a second writer go over the script, which would of course be ideal stuff for the media to twist into "replacing Hodge".

This thread is a prime example of the recent trend of fans letting themselves be misused for viral marketing purposes. A lot of the recent posts make the worst tabloids appear like innocent children.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    DC ‘s a wanking ponce and the author of all our pain!
    You are wrong there, Peter. Not Craig, but Barbara Broccoli is the author of all our pain. Christopher Nolan will be the painkiller.

As for Craig, he is an excellent actor, but he is really full of himself nowadays. He seemed much more humble about a decade ago.

I think he's a decent character actor - not a great actor. He hasn't had any success in films outside of Bond for over a decade. His theatre productions have been hits mainly because he's the incumbent Bond actor.

Personally, I'd much rather watch Brosnan in a non Bond film than Craig, who almost saps the life out of a movie.

And I agree things seem to have gone to his head a bit. He obviously lives in a slightly weird bubble where he does some work every 4 or 5 years and in between just goes to watch the footy and rugger and hangs out in his beautiful homes with his beautiful wife. All the time getting millions in endorsements and what not.

Like so many before him he's been seduced by the privileged life of the very wealthy and become slightly detached from reality.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,295
    DC ‘s a wanking ponce and the author of all our pain!

Not for all of us, he won't (most likely). That is, if he gets the job.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,343
    It seems the Danny Boyle situation has made other studios re-plot their schedules. The new Terminator movie has moved dates in November 2019 to get a more comfortable window now that Bond 25 has been delayed

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3518668/terminator-time-travels-earlier-date/

Bond and Terminator both appeal to a very similar demographic, so there is a chance that this is Paramount's attempt to capitalise on Universal's loss.

I have the terrible feeling that at Paramount someone knows something we don't know yet...
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Let’s just get this over with already. The suspense is not helping anyone. EON needs to release a statement that the movie will be delayed so the fans (like us) aren’t holding out hope for a 2019 release date. Every production process it seems gets more and more painful. It’s an absolute disaster.
    It's not much fun being a Bond fan these days.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    @Shardlake as for consistent performances in FYEO I’ll repeat again that Roger Moore runs circles around Harrison Ford (and I like Ford). But Ford lacks the charisma. Come on, it’s Sir Rog. He shines whether he plays it light or dark in FYEO. Even when his age is starting to show Rog’s charisma never wanes. Also big fan of Topol as Columbo and Carole Bouquet as Melina (love her long dark hair and those EYES - have mercy!). And yes I thought Maggie Thatcher was funny in the film but then I love Bond humor so I welcome things like this.

Paul Freeman is an okay villain in RAIDERS but hardly something special. About on par with Julian Glover in FYEO. Ronald Lacey is more creepy and effective! John-Rhys Davies is probably my favorite supporting actor in RAIDERS. Karen Allen is just... well... Karen Allen.

I'm going to agree to disagree on this one because we both have our opinions on this and I'll respect your opinion if you respect mine, I apologise if I have been a bit forceful with my opinion.

I'm not going to change your opinion on this as you aren't going to shift mine on it. Raiders is one of my favourite films but I don't want to indulge in this discussion because these things can descend into other things and I don't want to fall out. So lets do what we come here to do and celebrate James Bond 007 my friend.

All the best

Shardlake.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getafix wrote: »
    It's not much fun being a Bond fan these days.

And it's not going to be much fun for EoN if audiences start to no longer really care about James Bond. EoN's PR with the IP is so lazily handled.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Peter cannot be serious in that sentence.

Truly let's stop the hating on Barbara, too. Geez.

You are correct. This is quite fun to see the spin. That’s all.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Wait, so people are surprised Craig is acting like a diva? Ha, ha.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Very interesting. From the above link.

---
    "There’s a lot of pressure on the producers of James Bond 25 to find a filmmaker to take over from Danny Boyle, who quit when Daniel Craig and fellow producers insisted on replacing screenwriter John Hodge.

Several studio sound-stages were booked for the picture. Problem is: do they hang on to them, or give them up?

Tense situation behind the scenes, finding a director prepared to be ruled over by Mr Craig
    ."
    ---

Two things from the above, if taken literally. First, they apparently wanted to replace Hodge. Furthermore Baz makes a point about Craig's control.

If I remember correctly, Boyle's involvement was always conditional on Hodge. That was noted when the story originally broke. So it's perhaps unsurprising that he left, if the above is true.
    It could of course be the rather common situation of the producers having a second writer go over the script, which would of course be ideal stuff for the media to twist into "replacing Hodge".

This thread is a prime example of the recent trend of fans letting themselves be misused for viral marketing purposes. A lot of the recent posts make the worst tabloids appear like innocent children.

Bingo. Deadline already reported that rival companies have been dropping their “sources” to the media. It’s all an industry game.
  • So we are still no clearer on why Boyle left….
    Boyle left because EON couldn't agree on the casting of the main villain.
    Boyle left because EON wanted to kill off BOND
    Boyle left because EON wanted to replace screenwriter HODGE
    Boyle left because EON didn't have any decent teabags in the staff room cupboard

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    From story sides there already losing 2018 and 2019 will be even more of a thing.

Second why 2019 whas intresting is because it is 56 years a go Fleming died on age of 56, for a whyle i liked idea Bond 25 can be last movie. Bond is deprest and Fleming whas too.

Delay till 3th weak of December 2019 i don't see as problem. Is there not option Bruce Feirstein can take a look Danny/Hodge story.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    They were on board with the idea. There was no script.
    Ah, I see. Thanks.
    //If I remember correctly, Boyle's involvement was always conditional on Hodge.//

Specifically, Boyle and Hodge pitched the idea. Hodge would write it into a script. Boyle was interested in directing only if his and Hodge's idea/script was approved. The May 25 announcement said Boyle was directing from an original screenplay by Boyle.

More detailed chronology here:

https://spycommandfeatures.wordpress.com/bond-25-timeline/
    Great, thanks. They've built sets though, so I presume they went for more than an idea. Particularly after the big splash announcement in, what was it, May?
    TripAces wrote: »
    Baz writes a tabloid-esque line about Craig, meant to stir things up, and it works. Bond fans are on a fansite, getting all stirred up.
    But why would he do that, if as has been reported here, he is one of EON's methods for correcting the record and disseminating information? It doesn't make sense, especially when it is he who reported how Craig wanted Boyle because of the golden idea which was something out of the ordinary? To my knowledge, he's been quite forgiving and complimentary of Craig in the past.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I guess it doesn't occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, what Boyle and Hodge ultimately wanted to do was beyond the pale.
    It's unlikely, because Universal and all were behind the original idea. They signed on to the project with Boyle.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    It of course could be that. However, this is Baz, who as I'm informed is not prone to exaggeration when discussing Bond. He dropped that intentionally. It wasn't a mistake or accident. Furthermore, what you propose is something any director worth his salt should have expected from the start, and particularly someone as experienced as Boyle. I'm sure that possibility would have been discussed up front, because his comments and the media reporting suggested that he would get involved if and only if it was him and his writer. So I can only assume it was something more than basic finessing which led to this debacle.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 2,115
    //It could of course be the rather common situation of the producers having a second writer go over the script, which would of course be ideal stuff for the media to twist into "replacing Hodge".//

How is it "twisting"? John Logan *was replaced* on SPECTRE by Purvis and Wade. P&W *were replaced* by Logan on Skyfall. Heck, going back to the early days, Richard Maibaum *was replaced* by Paul Dehn on Goldfinger. Johanna Harwood and Len Deighton were replaced by Maibaum on From Russia With Love.

In the history of the franchise, Tom Mankiewicz may have been the only writer to see a Bond film all the way through from start to end (Live And Let Die).

That's why I said earlier that maybe Boyle and Hodge should have checked out the Bond working conditions more. I got a response that maybe Eon should have done more due diligence on how Boyle works. That's a valid point, too.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    That's why I said earlier that maybe Boyle and Hodge should have checked out the Bond working conditions more. I got a response that maybe Eon should have done more due diligence on how Boyle works. That's a valid point, too.
    I'm pretty sure they all did though. It would have been beyond idiotic not to have, given the well known history of this franchise which you shared, and given a new distributor was part of the package transaction. Boyle's comments about being wary of directing a picture like Bond also confirms that he knew about such possibilities. So this is likely something far more than that.
    The last time we had a one person writing a bond film it was Moonraker so uhm yeah not saying Hodge was going to hodgepodge it up (see what I did there) and give us Moonraker 2.0 but having another set of eyes is not the worst thing in the world.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Risico007 wrote: »
    The last time we had a one person writing a bond film it was Moonraker so uhm yeah not saying Hodge was going to hodgepodge it up (see what I did there) and give us Moonraker 2.0 but having another set of eyes is not the worst thing in the world.

Not at all, and is how the tent pole films are approached.
    So we are still no clearer on why Boyle left….
    Boyle left because EON couldn't agree on the casting of the main villain.
    Boyle left because EON wanted to kill off BOND
    Boyle left because EON wanted to replace screenwriter HODGE
    Boyle left because EON didn't have any decent teabags in the staff room cupboard

Might be all these. For all we know the teabags were the last straw for him.
    Raiders is all kinds of better than FYEO