No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

LeChiffre wrote: »
    Chris Nolan please.

I'd rather have Denis Villeneuve, although I think neither are probable.
    Is there enough time to get that Purvis and Wade treatment ready, re-scout locations, and re-design the sets, and scratch that casting call from a few weeks ago before December?
    Did Eon have a back up plan in case Boyle were to crap out at the last minute? Surely they wouldn't still be going with the Hodge script and Boyle's 'great idea"?
  • Terrible, disappointing news. However, I am optimistic the film will release on time. We've got Daniel, distributors, a script to fall back on and polish up in time for camera rolling? Let's hope everyone's heart is still in it after losing Boyle. We've see miracles happen with Star Wars, and they refilmed half a film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Martin Campbell can save this.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'd like to know what those creative differences were. Hopefully one day we find out, although I doubt anyone will be talking anytime soon. EON tends to give a wide berth, so I'm really curious what it was.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I am also expecting Craig to walk out now. He might not like a 5 year gap, which will also stop him, from doing other movies due to his Bond commitment. And screenpla-wise, well, maybe BB & MGW really go back to the P&W script and hire some journeyman to rewrite it. More worrying is the search for a director. The whole trouble does not make it attractive for a director. Maybe Martin Campbell for a third and final time? At least we would know, what we can expect from him, and he could deliver a decent Bond movie.
    Lol Ron Howard saved solo why not save Bond 25
    jake24 wrote: »
    I didn't think it was relevant (perhaps until now), but as of a week ago MGM was still planning to release B25 at the end of 2019 if their 2nd quarter stockholder call is anything to go by.

At the 11 minute mark:

https://www.mgm.com/#/about/investor-relations
    jake24 wrote: »
    I didn't think it was relevant (perhaps until now), but as of a week ago MGM was still planning to release B25 at the end of 2019 if their 2nd quarter stockholder call is anything to go by.

At the 11 minute mark:

https://www.mgm.com/#/about/investor-relations

Are there any non-Bond related highlights about the studio? What else do they plan on releasing?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'd like to know what those creative differences were. Hopefully one day we find out, although I doubt anyone will be talking anytime soon. EON tends to give a wide berth, so I'm really curious what it was.
    Me too. You would think that would've discussed everything by this point?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    My first reactions:

1. I am now OFFICIALLY done with Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson. They should have given Boyle everything. And I do mean everything.
    2. The only way to save Bond 25 without a delay is to stick with the Hodge script and hire Martin Campbell ASAP.

I feel sick. This is probably the darkest day in James Bond history.
    Stop assuming they do not have the script treatment Boyle was working with. If they didn't announce a delay with the news of Boyle's departure, and the investor call suggests they may still be going for a 2019 release, then it's reasonable to think they could have kept Boyle's treatment and will bring in someone else to patch it up the way they want. Especially if they've already started casting other roles.
    The massive numbers on the bezels. The protruding 3D wave designs on the dial. The glass back. Pretty tacky, imo.

Have to agree with this. I prefer more minimalistic watches; less is more, as they say.
    Satorious wrote: »
    Re: Pemberton, you need to check out the score to The Game. Very cold war/Ipcress/Barryesque. I'm sure he would rise to the occasion, plus he's already worked with Boyle.

The Game score is terrific – as is the series itself too. If you're a le Carré fan, this is the series for you. Need to rewatch it again soon.
    Satorious wrote: »
    Re: Pemberton, you need to check out the score to The Game. Very cold war/Ipcress/Barryesque. I'm sure he would rise to the occasion, plus he's already worked with Boyle.

Great recommendation. Pemberton can do classy stuff, but The Game was the first instance where I felt he could be a good Bond composer.

A lot of people cite The Man From U.N.C.L.E. as an example of why he would do a good job and I'm not sure why. It's a good score and I listen to it often but it was a bit too far into the parody realm for my liking to be an example of Bondian music. The Game was straight up classy.

The UNCLE score isn't really that Bondian, IMO - more a homage to the continental Eurospy films, Morricone – with a hint of The Ipcress File(?).

If you have Spotify, you can check out his UNCLE: Mood Board playlist. I think that gives an insight to what inspirations he had making the score.

Guy Ritchie specifically didn't want Pemberton to do a Bond sound. Interview from 2015:

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/daniel-pemberton-u-n-c-l-e-score-avoids-007-sound/

Interesting read; thanks for sharing! The track Ritchie specifically mentioned - ‘Into The Lair’ - is one of my favourites from the score, actually. Not the most memorable perhaps, but still very good.
    I think Broccoli and Wilson should have walked instead. Maybe Boyle walked because his "idea" was just too creative and inspired for the bean counters at the studio. I'm going to watch Trainspotting tonight to cheer myself up.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    pachazo wrote: »
    Me too.

What, that thing again?
    Very surprising news about Boyle leaving. The dreaded 'creative differences' strikes the Bond franchise! Da da daaaaaaa!

I wouldn't mind a more conventional action director taking over. I don't think Sam Mendes is the guy for Craig's last film.

If Hodges' screenplay is ditched that could be a bit worrying given the time span. Not that long until December. Hopefully it will all be sorted out. :)

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Murdock wrote: »
    Martin Campbell can save this.

Yes! Craig+Campbell+Arnold. Go out like you came in .
    Well....why not try to get Guy Ritchie now?
    I mean... if you replace Boyle..replace him with a well known name...Ritchie would fit the mold..

It's only a guess, but I'd say Boyle might have had ideas that were too out there for the franchise. Wasn't there something about Bond mentoring a pupil Bond girl? That could have been Jinx all over again. He might have made a Tamahori of himself for all we know.

I was thinking he'd be a more careful Mendes, now I suspect he might have been a more reckless one.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The massive numbers on the bezels. The protruding 3D wave designs on the dial. The glass back. Pretty tacky, imo.

Have to agree with this. I prefer more minimalistic watches; less is more, as they say.
    I preferred the older Seamasters too. They were lighter, thinner and more restrained in their styling.
    --
    pachazo wrote: »
    Me too. You would think that would've discussed everything by this point?

Didn't they drop P&W for Hodge in order for Boyle to direct? I thought that was the impetus to go with Hodge in the first place - i.e. to get Boyle. Seems like a total cluster you know what.
    Ludovico wrote: »

It's only a guess, but I'd say Boyle might have had ideas that were too out there for the franchise. Wasn't there something about Bond mentoring a pupil Bond girl? That could have been Jinx all over again. He might have made a Tamahori of himself for all we know.

I was thinking he'd be a more careful Mendes, now I suspect he might have been a more reckless one.
    It's possible, but one would think the key elements of the script would have been locked down by now, especially since they were apparently casting.

Something doesn't make sense here, really.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I expect EON to be on the phones right now with directors as we speak. They won't let time get away.

Craig isn't leaving either. Otherwise they would not have put him on the list with Michael and Barbara
    With this news BB and MGW are sending a very strong signal to A-list directors: "We like cookie-cutter Bond movies, we frown on creativity and we DEFINITELY won't let you run the show. Stay away from Bond"!
    Again it could be budgetary Boyle is known for wanting smaller more intimate films and that might not work for 007 especially post mi:Fallout
    They might have dodged the bullet. Maybe Boyle was planning on a 4 hour epic Bond film where the intermission is the gunbarrel on loop?

Gentlemen, we have forgotten one possible saviour.

Samuel Mendes.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited August 2018 Posts: 2,496
    Was Omega image posted today, or did we only just notice it today?

Either DC is just fulfilling his contract, or it is a sign that he, for now, is still 007.

At the TCA's this month, the CEO of Showtime said both they and DC are still interested in getting 'Purity' made.

There's no way BB and MGW don't know about this. Surely, they have a plan going forward, so they don't lose DC.

This is probably reading too much into, but this might explain B25's absence from IMAX's 2019 schedule.

Wow. This is just a horrible day to be a Bond fan. Horrible. There can literally be no guarantees until the movie is finished and playing in theaters I guess, whatever year that is. This sucks.
    Don't jump to conclussions people, for all we know, Boyle wanted to make something non-Bondian....in fact I think that's probably the case..
    Boyle comes over as a nice guy. I guess you have to have a ruthless streak to take the slings and arrows of the film business but he doesn't come across as someone that's so entrenched in his views that he can't compromise. Perhaps he got a few nerves about the scale of the film and didn't think he could deliver? He did give an interview where he suggested he had trepidation about directing a Bond film.

Perhaps the screenplay had some major element - the so-called "great idea" - which Boyle thought was integral to the story?
    “We’re working on a script at the moment, and we’ll see what happens,” Boyle told Metro US at last night’s screening. “But it’s a great idea so hopefully it will work — would love to be able to tell you more, but I’m not going to.”

Eon might have said "no, your idea hasn't worked, we don't like it, remove it" and Boyle said "if you take it out I'm walking."
    If Boyle was overwhelmed better to leave now than in the middle of filming.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Don't jump to conclussions people, for all we know, Boyle wanted to make something non-Bondian....in fact I think that's probably the case..

If that is the case, then why on earth did they realise only 3 months before filming was supposed to begin that they have creative differences?