No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

vzok wrote: »
    Weren't EON happy to let Sam Mendes have a lot of free reign in decision making in order to make his own film?

They must have known when choosing Danny Boyle that he would want the same freedom.

Maybe since Mendes they are weary of this. I wouldn't blame them.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I've gone from very excited to very concerned.

Creative differences could mean anything and not necessarily the script, possibly casting or something, I'm not going to take it for granted that Hodge's script has been jettisoned.

The problem if it has is that P&W script was possibly needing work now unless they have their script developed and ready to go if Hodge's out, we are either going to get a rushed job or a delay.

That's just my take but we don't know the whole story.

I'd be keen to hear @peter & @RC7 take on this and not jump to conclusions like us non industry types are likely to.

@Shardlake, I was walking along the street when I read the headline. I suppose my exclamation was quite vocal since I got several stares.

I can only guess as to what happened, like anyone else. But EoN owns Hodge’s script, so if they liked it they can still use it with a new director.

And, at least right now the announcement made no mention of Hodge.

This all sounds director-related at the moment. And directors walking because of “creative differences “ does happen quite often.

My gut also tells me MGM needs Bond 25 in 2019, and Universal didn’t make this splash to have this caught up in delays.

They will hire someone else to polish Hodge’s script or they will use the P&W script (which I believe was pretty much locked). But I find it highly unlikely that they start from scratch and delay everything.

However tell-tale signs will be in how quickly they get a director, and who that director is (an edgy hip director and I would think Hodge’s script (with polishes), stays; a safe pick and it’ll be P&Ws script.

However, if it takes a while to find a director, then we could be looking at legitimate delays.

Also remember, Babs and Co could not just fire Boyle without consultation. Everyone knew and agreed with this dismissal. This is no surprise to MGM , Universal orAnna...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    A delay at this point wouldn't really be the end of the world. A part of me always felt that it was going to be the case anyway, with the release schedule as it is next November.

As long as it's not a whole year, I can live with a delay. Six months for example.
    I agree, though I gather most on here won't.

This might be a dense question, but are EON allowed to use either of the P&W or Hodge drafts if the writers themselves are no longer attached to the project?

Sets are presumably being built at Pinewood as we speak, so a delay longer than 6 months max is highly unlikely.
    giphy.gif
    What the hell?! Really don't know what to reply to this. What sort of mess is this film turning into?

Couple of questions. First relating to the statement:
    "Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25."
    Does Craig have a role in addition to playing the main character that automatically places his name on announcements like this? Or is he in any way connected to the "creative differences" mentioned? This was the first thing that came to mind when reading this.
    I'm not surprised his name is listed frankly. He has co-producer credit and from what I recall reading, he's the one who took Boyle's idea to Broccoli/Wilson. So I wouldn't be surprised if the 'creative differences' pertain to him and Boyle either, because if not, he could have used his leverage with EON to make it work. Eventually, we'll learn more.

I've said this before, but they appear highly reliant on him. I'm not happy about that, but it is what it is, for now.
    giphy.gif
    What the hell?! Really don't know what to reply to this. What sort of mess is this film turning into?

"Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25."
    Does Craig have a role in addition to playing the main character that automatically places his name on announcements like this? Or is he in any way connected to the "creative differences" mentioned? This was the first thing that came to mind when reading this.

Isn't DC being given a producers credit on this one? That would include him in the statement. Though I really think the person playing Bond should just play Bond, no need to have that much input into the whole thing.

I've always been under the impression that these producer/co-producer credits is only something they put on the credits "to keep the actor/actress happy", or similar. If Craig does indeed have so much power on the production, it's a bit worrying, IMO. Why should he have that much to say, at all?
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Honestly, losing Boyle isn’t that big of deal to me. He is a solid director and all but I was unsure if his style was a fit for Bond.

What does concern me is losing a director (and possibly script/writer?) this far into preproduction. It’s possible that we could be looking at some serious delays. This franchise doesn’t need that, and certainly not the bad publicity that comes with it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    jake24 wrote: »
    This might be a dense question, but are EON allowed to use either of the P&W or Hodge drafts if the writers themselves are no longer attached to the project?

I would assume so. They used some of Peter Morgan's material for Skyfall after he long left the project.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Don't jump to conclussions people, for all we know, Boyle wanted to make something non-Bondian....in fact I think that's probably the case..

Like Vincnet Ward handing in his screenplayx draft for ALIEN 3, the prodcers told him "Nioce script, but where is the Alien", and apparently Ward replied "Oh, is it really necessary for the movie?", then he got the boot. Or Darren Aronofksky's script for the BATMAN movie whcih later became BATMAN BEGINS. In his script, there was no Butler Alfred, but a black car mechanic called Al. Then Chris Nolan got the job.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    A delay at this point wouldn't really be the end of the world. A part of me always felt that it was going to be the case anyway, with the release schedule as it is next November.

As long as it's not a whole year, I can live with a delay. Six months for example.

Sets are presumably being built at Pinewood as we speak, so a delay longer than 6 months max is highly unlikely.

They own the scripts and can do anything with them
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I think they are, because they would probably own the IP. In such case, I think the writer would get credit. Could be wrong though.
    giphy.gif

I'm not surprised his name is listed frankly. He has co-producer credit and from what I recall reading, he's the one who took Boyle's idea to Broccoli/Wilson. So I wouldn't be surprised if the 'creative differences' pertain to him and Boyle either, because if not, he could have used his leverage with EON to make it work. Eventually, we'll learn more.

I've said this before, but they appear highly reliant on him. I'm not happy about that, but it is what it is, for now.
    giphy.gif

Isn't DC being given a producers credit on this one? That would include him in the statement. Though I really think the person playing Bond should just play Bond, no need to have that much input into the whole thing.

I've always been under the impression that these producer/co-producer credits is only something they put on the credits "to keep the actor/actress happy", or similar. If Craig does indeed have so much power on the production, it's a bit worrying, IMO. Why should he have that much to say, at all?
    He's had a lot of say in direction etc. since he came on board. I think that was part of the arrangement he had for signing on. Ironically, the film where he probably had the least input is also the one which many see as his most critically successful, namely CR.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    His "great idea" might have escalated into one crummy idea after another until Barbara and Michael realized it was becoming very non-Bondian.

Perhaps they can get back to Cubby's style of a Terence Young or Peter Hunt style director?

They let Tamahori have his way. But, wait, maybe with the Tamahori expereinece, they were drawing a red line not to cross.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I was always more sold on the "concept" Boyle and Hodge were peddling rather than the idea of Boyle directing (never convinced he was a good fit for Bond, but was willing to be proven wrong). I hope they are still planning to work with Hodges' screenplay, will be interesting to see what the fallout behind the scenes now, but it might not be as drastic as it sounds. Time will tell...
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    ... but I was unsure if his style was a fit for Bond.
    Bond should be seen through different lenses in my opinion. As long as the platform isn't being used to push a social or political cause (thereby making Bond a sideshow), it has to take on different looks in order to continue with the times.
    To be frank, and in retrospect, I never could see how a Boyle Bond film could work. It all seemed highly risky and unusual to me. That was part of the attraction initially after the many years of quiet and rumours, but perhaps this will end up for the best.
    Who knows; maybe they still like Hodge's script/story, and Boyle left for reasons unrelated to the story. This would probably be the best-case scenario, and may avoid a delay. If it's related to the script though, we are in bigger trouble. Time indeed will tell.
    It's a hard one, mainly as Danny Boyle was only ever bought in to placate Daniel Craig. Eon wanted to go for a younger and edgier director, but Craig wanted an auteur.

I guess Eon may go back to their original plan and get Daniel to see that they have to go back to a journeyman helmer. Alternatively, Daniel Craig could flick through his rolodex and find an A-list director he works well with.

Possible suggestions include:

Roger Michell
    Sam Mendes
    Martin McDonaugh (he has been pictured with Craig at premieres)
    and my personal favourite David Fincher.

Alternatively, Eon could pull rank and get a journeyman helmer.
    Suggested in hindsight, looks like Boyle's appointment was a bit of balls-up and never meant to amount to anything!
    26 March 2013

Having directed Daniel Craig - and HM the Queen - for the opening ceremony's Happy and Glorious segment, is he tempted to throw his hat in the ring? It is a question that prompts a well-practiced response.

"I wouldn't be disinclined, but I'm not really the right guy to make those kind of films," says a director whose sole link to date with so-called 'franchise' cinema was a brief flirtation with the Alien series.

"I like working slightly under the radar, rather than the responsibility of having to deliver to a certain expectation."

But have the Bond team been in touch? With a chuckle, Boyle nimbly deflects the question by repeating that he "wouldn't be the right kind of person to do those kind of films".

Perhaps he realized the project was too demanding and pulled out rather than risk going ahead and not delivering a decent film.
    They are already casting. The script is ready to go and production is in full swing. Daniel Craig is committed to filming too. Boyle may get a writing or executive producer credit, but they'll need a director who can work (not against) what EON & DC want. Mendes anyone?
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Baz confirmed that there will be no scoop tonight

Now I totally understand Baz's tweet to you.
    Definitely don't want Mendes back; I loved SF, but SP was disappointing and they need to stay fairly far away from that kind of film I think. At this point, in the case of Hodge's script/story still being used, a journeyman director would probably be the most likely.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    This is great news, perhaps now we can push back Bond 25 until Nov 2020, and start fresh with a new Bond and Campbell can complete his trilogy before he gets too old. That would also be the 25th anniversary of Goldeneye where he first joined the Bond train.
    If they can't secure a director by December or a bit earlier - Bond 25 will be delayed? I guess so. However, there's enough time to get a new guy and prep him. There was talk of the woman director of The Night Manager interested in Bond 25:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/night-manager-director-susanne-bier-wants-james-bond-director-job-2016-9

Would be an interesting choice.
  • Well this thread blew up today!

Martin. Campbell.

No one alive can match his 007 track record, in my opinion.
    I hope no American director. They already get many chances. Give it to British or European directors who need the exposure.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    If Ralph Fiennes wasn't booked solid, maybe he could have stepped in.
    Apparently Campbell and Craig didn't get on well during the CR shoot. If there is any truth to that then I can't see Campbell returning.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Apparently Campbell and Craig didn't get on well during the CR shoot. If there is any truth to that then I can't see Campbell returning.
    I read that somewhere too. Then there's the apparent differences with Mendes on SP as well.

They seemed to have had some trouble securing a director this time around prior to Boyle agreeing to do it, Demange excepted. Not entirely sure why.
    This is great news, perhaps now we can push back Bond 25 until Nov 2020, and start fresh with a new Bond and Campbell can complete his trilogy before he gets too old. That would also be the 25th anniversary of Goldeneye where he first joined the Bond train.
    There is no fresh start if BB and MGW are still producing. The fresh start will come only after they have sold the franchise (preferably to Chris Nolan).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Yes, Campbell will only come back if it's a new Bond, which is why I say it's best to cut our losses. Push back Bond 25 until late 2020 and start looking for the next 007 immediately, and secure Campbell. This is very doable in the timeframe of the next couple years.
    I read that somewhere too. Then there's the apparent differences with Mendes on SP as well.

They seemed to have had some trouble securing a director this time around prior to Boyle agreeing to do it, Demange excepted. Not entirely sure why.

Probably because the original P&W script they were using is not very good.

If they're going to use the P&W or Hodge script, I suppose it is possible the film can still make its release date if they secure the other positions in time. If they need a whole new script though, definitely a delay. Craig might back out if things don't get sorted out, but he seems pretty committed.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I kind of wish Marc Forster would step in again.

Me not. Or only, if he does not want an even shorter Bond movie than QOS? 90 minutes or so? Shaky handcam, high pace-editing?