No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Even the announcement is sort of strange. Normally these things leak out. Here it's just announced. Bang.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    bondjames wrote: »
    DCisared wrote: »
    Wonder what made Boyle not want to go ahead.
    Could it be that new gig he got for the Armistice I wonder?

'Creative differences' though? Suggests everyone wasn't on the same page as far as story and tone go. Such a shame, i was really looking forward to seeing Boyle's Bond.
    Well...I was really looking forward to Boyle.....
    Does this mean the release date will be different?

I wonder if we'll ever hear what the differences were. Maybe it's for the better.....maybe it's for the worst.....who knows...

Now....who will be the new director? Any front runners? A big name or someone smaller just to come in and finish the movie just like the Ant-Man director did for Edgar Wright?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Well maybe Boyle realized after all that he doesn't have it in him to direct a big action movie like Bond.
    I am very disappointed about this but the more importsnt question right now is if they keep the Hodge Script.

'Creative differences' though? Suggests everyone wasn't on the same page as far as story and tone go. Such a shame, i was really looking forward to seeing Boyle's Bond.
    Ah yes, true.

I hope they go back to the drawing board and reimagine it. Not use P&W's script, that is. The release schedule didn't favour them anyway.

It's all a bit of a shock. Perhaps Boyle was in over his head?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    This changes everything. This news comes far too close to production. Next we’ll hear the release date has changed, or Daniel Craig has officially backed out. Not good at all.
    Well roger Mitchell was I believe announced to direct Quantum of Solace but left
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I was also excited at the prospect of a Boyle Bond, but his exit is probably for the best. My main concern is that this turns into a Dalton Bond 17 situation.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    jake24 wrote: »
    Talk about development hell.

So let's review the possible outcomes:

Outcome #1: EON resorts to the Purvis & Wade draft and scrambles to hire a new director (possibly Yann Demange?) to meet 2019 release date

Outcome #2: Bond 25 is delayed until 2020 while EON/Craig sort out the script and director

Outcome #3: Daniel Craig backs out of the project, the series is put on hiatus until the next actor is cast.

I'm thinking outcome #2. EON are still working on The Rhythm Section after all.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Uau. Just uau.
    I hope the already have the replacement ready
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Has this happened before? That a director has been confirmed and then dropped out?

Hamilton was originally meant to do Spy, but the long wait, the exhaustion and Superman came calling.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I was also excited at the prospect of a Boyle Bond, but his exit is probably for the best. My main concern is that this turns into a Dalton Bond 17 situation.
    The good news here is they have a distributor and MGM need B25 to make their numbers. That should be impetus enough to pull something together.

So this is quite different from the Dalton scenario. There are no immediate organizational issues to deal with.
    If the guy says he doesn't think he has a Bond movie in him, maybe listen!

I think if they're already casting they would try to take whatever script they have from Hodge and bring in someone to workshop it to the end. All depends on how much is locked down.

The fact that they didn't go ahead and announce a delay is very promising, I would say.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Please Yann Demange, not you. :P
    Please Yann Demange, not you. :P
    I liked '71. It was a bit "Boyleish" in my opinion, at least in terms of its in flow kinetic approach.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    three mos before film goes in the camera, and now....no director. Has DC ever directed?
    Were there any leaks about what the P&W script was about?
    Has this happened before? That a director has been confirmed and then dropped out?
    I too like to know this
    Getafix wrote: »
    007.com/bond-25-announcement-3/

sad news

I doubt it. it would be very unprofessional.

Interesting how it's worded. It doesn't say by mutual consent, it says Boyle decided to leave. That does suggest the perceived issue was on the directors side and not theirs

It was probably like this

Boyle: I want _____

Studio: No.

Boyle: Either this or I'm out

Studio: Eh.

Boyle leaves.

:D
    Well, from a marketing standpoint, how do you top Britain's Oscar winning darling?

Mr. Nolan, make the call.
    Oh well. I suppose a four year gap was too much to ask for. I'd say we're looking at the very least a 6 year gap a'la GE this time round.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    My worry is Boyle came on board and realised that either, everyone ( babs and mike and DC) want different things or that the producers and DC don't know what they want.

Nothing other than gut feeling makes me think this but I've a feeling that DC might be next to walk. Admittedly he is very close to Babs and Michael but theres only so long they can keep trying to work out a way to continue Craigs story as bond.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 14,842
    Just read the announcement. Flabbergasted and worried now. Even though I was skeptical about Boyle to begin with.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    royale65 wrote: »

Hamilton was originally meant to do Spy, but the long wait, the exhaustion and Superman came calling.

That turned out pretty good.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    It’s maddening. We get a great ad with Craig looking like Bond for Omega. Everyone gets a little excited, then they come and punch us in the gut.
    What a fiasco.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Well roger Mitchell was I believe announced to direct Quantum of Solace but left

Yes, but then he quit, because he felt too much time pressure, as of then, EON planned to open in May 2008, not October/November 2008. And Michell probably felt, that he could not handle it. And that was BEFORE the WGA strike meant, that Haggis only managed a treatment, and Craig and Forster had to work on the screenplay during shooting.
    I think Daniel Craig might walk now.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I didn't think it was relevant (perhaps until now), but as of a week ago MGM was still planning to release B25 at the end of 2019 if their 2nd quarter stockholder call is anything to go by.

At the 11 minute mark:

https://www.mgm.com/#/about/investor-relations
    They need B25. So I think they'll all get a move on.

They just can't be too picky any more.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I think Daniel Craig might walk now.

My fear. But they were already looking for cast, they must have had a pretty clear idea of what they wanted.

Could Danny Boyle have suffered from hubris and seen Bond as a big toy to play with?
    Chris Nolan please.