Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• I watched The Living Daylights the other day.

It's a solid Bond adventure, though I remain unsure what so many of you see in it that makes it a top-flight Bond. The plot is overly complicated, the villains are weak, and Dalton is still working out his take on Bond. It has its strong points, including the more realistic feel that Dalton brings (in spite of a couple of scenes that were clearly written with Moore in mind) and the relationship between Bond and Kara, but it doesn't break out of the middle of the pack for me and is the lesser of Dalton's two Bonds. I am glad it exists, though, and it was certainly necessary after some of Moore's misadventures.
    I watched The Living Daylights the other day.

It's a solid Bond adventure, though I remain unsure what so many of you see in it that makes it a top-flight Bond. The plot is overly complicated, the villains are weak, and Dalton is still working out his take on Bond. It has its strong points, including the more realistic feel that Dalton brings (in spite of a couple of scenes that were clearly written with Moore in mind) and the relationship between Bond and Kara, but it doesn't break out of the middle of the pack for me and is the lesser of Dalton's two Bonds. I am glad it exists, though, and it was certainly necessary after some of Moore's misadventures.

Have you read Fleming's short story?
    I just love the way they took that as a springboard and developed the storyline.
    And I disagree of course 're Dalton. He nailed Bonds character from the get go imho.
    And it has the best pts of the series!
    I watched The Living Daylights the other day.

This sums up my thoughts pretty well. I think TLD is a good but not great Bond outing. The villains are too weak, and the third act falls a bit flat. It’s a fun ride overall, but definitely I think a bit over-praised sometimes around here (for my own tastes of course). I like it, but it simply isn’t top-tier Bond IMO. And I prefer LTK, which I feel like Dalton did better in.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It's lower-mid pack to me. I love most of the first two thirds (lose the snow chase and the rooftop chase), and I even enjoy the villains, but the last act is so dull and uninspired and out of place that it sabotages my enjoyment of the film as a whole.

That's my main issue with the film, as well. It's a film I'm curious as to where I'll rank the next time around; I can see myself ranking it even lower.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    TLD is actually in my Top 10 (sixth, to be exact), but I really could do without the Afghanistan bit. It's dull and uninspired.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I get why people don't like Koskov (though I don't agree), but I have never understood the 3rd act criticisms. Everytime I watch TLD, i'm always surprised at how fast the film flies by. Before I know it, the Afghan Aribase fight is underway, and by that point, the film more or less enters the home straight.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,894
    20 minutes? Good grief, I wouldn't want to lose a second of it.

As for AVTAK, it's a Glen film, so the action is top notch, and Zorin is one of my favourite Villains. Editing won't fix my biggest problem with AVTAK, that being the tired feeling the film has. Fresh blood was sorely needed in the lead, and i'm not saying it had to be Dalton, but the role needed recasting. Moore got away with being Bond up to, and including OP, but AVTAK was one too many.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Like I say with all of the first four Glen films; You let me edit out 20 minutes and it's a Top Ten. AVTAK, on the other hand, can never be more or less than what it is. Love it or hate it, it does what it's makers set out to do. I enjoy it quite a bit, but it will never number lower below the high teens.

That's a good point. Even though FYO and OP are top ten for me, some editing could have made both even better (that hockey scene in FYO being the first thing that comes to mind).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Like I say with four of the Glen films; You let me edit out 20 minutes and it's a Top Ten.

That's true of almost any Bond film besides the early Connery's.
    Overall I still love the Glen era. I think FYEO is Moore’s best Bond performance and his second or third best film, OP and AVTAK are both a little too silly but tons of fun, TLD is an overall good entry with one of the series’ best PTSs and soundtracks, and LTK is a terrific, unique series entry with lots of rewatch value and one of the best villains.
    Like I say with four of the Glen films; You let me edit out 20 minutes and it's a Top Ten.

That's true of almost any Bond film besides the early Connery's.

Don't mind the length of OHMSS, DAF and the early Moore films, really.
    DAF has a very weak third act and makes it feel quite slow. Sadly it’s one of those Bond films that seems to just get weaker with every watch for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    DAF has a very weak third act and makes it feel quite slow. Sadly it’s one of those Bond films that seems to just get weaker with every watch for me.

I still enjoy myself when I watch it, but the finale is the weakest aspect for me. Connery gets some good lines and I appreciate another aerial assault on a villain's base, but that's about it.
    I love the Afghanistan section of TLD. So far the last time the series has had a big action battle finale involving two armies. Although I prefer those types of scenes on a Ken Adam set. The Barry score is superb throughout that section, and the Hercules fight with Necros is easily one of my favorite stunts in the series.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I love the Afghanistan section of TLD. So far the last time the series has had a big action battle finale involving two armies. Although I prefer those types of scenes on a Ken Adam set. The Barry score is superb throughout that section, and the Hercules fight with Necros is easily one of my favorite stunts in the series.

Seconded. I also enjoy the contrast between the Cold War thriller vibe of the first part of the film, and the epic, adventuresque style of the final part.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Infinity War first watch since the cinema, this is epic love this film.

One Bond installment I've somehow never seen!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Ha ha ill get my coat, it's been a long week
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Ha ha ill get my coat, it's been a long week

I figured you'd catch the error but I couldn't help myself.
    Had family round so a few beers happened lol
    FoxRox wrote: »

I know the oil rig action is a bit sedate, uninspired even, but I love the setting and how Bond messes up Blofeld's plans. Oh, and the Bathosub mayhem!

I overall enjoy those scenes more than, say, Bond's infiltration into (and escape from) Whyte Techtronics.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 12,265
    I find after the first third, which is fairly fun, the film just starts to drag and become duller with each scene. As I go along in it I just miss the other 5 Connery films a lot. The sillier tone didn’t fit so well for Connery. YOLT was the silliest I would have liked for his films to get.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I find DAF more watchable than YOLT, to be honest. The latter just feels dull, forced and not as glamorous as it aspires to be. The storyline also didn’t quite help and neither did Bored Connery. I find that he was having more fun in DAF and is a bit more lively than he was in his previous effort.
    You could make a good argument Connery’s performance in DAF was superior - I’d probably agree. Still, YOLT to me is a far better Bond film and is superior in most other ways. Of course at that point it’s all subjective really. To me, your feelings about YOLT are mine about DAF - it feels dull despite all its glamor/flashiness.

EDIT: I should mention also I think both YOLT and DAF are Connery’s clear weakest films. DN, FRWL, GF, and TB are all in my Top 10, while YOLT is currently 14 and DAF is way down at 23.
    DAF is my go to Connery movie. I can throw it on anytime and have a lot of fun with it. I tend to rank both YOLT and DAF close together often flipping them around. Fun to watch back to back as well.
    I find DAF more watchable than YOLT, to be honest. The latter just feels dull, forced and not as glamorous as it aspires to be. The storyline also didn’t quite help and neither did Bored Connery. I find that he was having more fun in DAF and is a bit more lively than he was in his previous effort.
    I really like both YOLT and DAF, but I agree with you that Connery was superior in DAF. Much superior, in fact. It is often said that Connery is bored in that film, but I find he gives a lively performance --one of his best-- and instead it is the character of Bond who is bored. He has encountered Blofeld on several occasions and by now both of them have grown accustomed to each other's presence. Charles Gray also plays Blofeld in the same way. It's an amusing touch of... postmodernism, perhaps? Not only we as viewers know the drill by now --Blofeld has evil plan, Bond tries to stop him, mayhem ensues--, the characters do too.
    DAF is my go to Connery movie. I can throw it on anytime and have a lot of fun with it. I tend to rank both YOLT and DAF close together often flipping them around. Fun to watch back to back as well.
    Mine too!

Same here! That's why I had it on the list of films I don't feel have a weak/slow third act. It's just to fun for me to notice anything like that, IMO.

I have a soft spot for that film, to be honest. Can't remember how i ranked it the last time, but I have a feeling it might come close to - if not inside the top ten (!) the next time around.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,894
    DAF is just... odd. Moments of camp, followed by moments of violence, and vice-versa. An out of shape Connery, who couldn't look less interested, wearing a hairpiece that appears to change colour throughout the film. Are we really supposed to accept that this is the same character from DN/FRWL? I used to like DAF in my early years as a fan, but over time I have grown to dislike it. It currently resides down in my bottom 5 (or so) films.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

Mine as well. I find myself watching DAF more than any other Connery film.
    Wish I could enjoy DAF more, but it’s just not my cup of tea as a Bond movie. My favorite part of the film is Wint and Kidd - their scenes are all the best ones.