Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

Be interesting to see a high def FRWL with it's original theatrical color timing.
    I've seen 35mm prints screened in the cinema a few times over the decades. Some prints better than others, and as beautiful as the Blu-ray looks, the old laser disc versions looked closer to the film prints as far as color timing.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 684
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree @Strog. For me it peaks on the Orient Express. Having said that I still prefer the two last action sequences in FRWL to the whole post-ball beater section of CR, where the romance is established and where Vesper is killed. I find the FRWL section moves much quicker, which is to its benefit.
    I'll go along with that. Definitely take the post-Orient Express section of FRWL over the final act of CR.
    I noticed upon this viewing that the film makers smartly put Connery in some thick and visible (at least in high def) makeup for the PTS, which made the 'mask' more credible. Nice touch.
    Excellent spot. I will look out for that next watch.
    Just to be clear, I viewed a standard blu ray upscaled via my 4K tv, and not a pure 4K stream, which I'm sure would be even better.
    Ah, yes I thought maybe you had streamed them. I think it was Hulu that had made the 4K versions available.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I've seen 35mm prints screened in the cinema a few times over the decades. Some prints better than others, and as beautiful as the Blu-ray looks, the old laser disc versions looked closer to the film prints as far as color timing.
    I'd love to see a 35mm print of an older Bond, as well. That's a big thing to check off the list. Although apparently the 4K DCPs that are screening here and there look very good. I have yet to own a laser disc version of any of the films, but I had found out somewhere that the same scans were used on the SE DVDs, which I do own and love for their colors.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,034
    Sorry, I'm just jumping in to this thread on the spur of the moment so forgive me if this has been covered already. Currently watching AVTAK and I don't know how Bond wasn't killed in the first 25 minutes. Between himself and Tibbett, the spy-work is inept.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Sorry, I'm just jumping in to this thread on the spur of the moment. Currently watching AVTAK and I don't know how Bond wasn't killed in the first 25 minutes. Between himself and Tibbett, the spy-work is inept.

Yeah they forgot to take their meds and escaped shady acres.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,034
    Least watched Bond film for a good reason. Poor Chris Walken.
    AVTAK used to be my least favorite Bond film. I like it a lot now and it’s safely far away from the bottom.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It's not my favorite either but it's not last. I enjoy it immensely until Bond reaches Staceys house, then I usually forward to the mine
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    But the quiche scene is quality.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    LALD

I had a blast as usual. Roger Moore's approach is very different to early Connery, who I watched the night before, and it's quite apparent when seeing the earlier films of both actors in quick succession. He doesn't have that raw machismo of the first Bond, nor the physicality or physique. In compensation, he brings oodles of charm and sophistication, combined with a certain cruelty in instances here which is believable. I find him credible as Her Majesty's finest, but he is not quite the same agent as Connery's. He's a different take on it.

Yesterday I gave thought to how that may not have gone down well in 1973 with some who were used to Connery's (and Lazenby's) approach. It's understandable. Perhaps the same will occur when Bond #007 takes over from Craig. Given EON's modus operandi to date, the chances are they may go for someone who brings a lighter and more sophisticated touch, which in my view has been seriously missing during the Craig era. The Babs regime is its own entity so who knows, but if they want to shake it up for the next decade, I wouldn't be surprised if they go in this direction once more to avoid negative comparisons with Craig. I would personally welcome it.

Anyway, great film, with probably the most memorable villain roster, a beautiful Bond girl, and a wonderful score. I like how they use New York too. Most of the shots are 'on the ground' (as opposed to skyline) and give a natural vibe to the city circa 1970s, particularly Harlem. In a way, it set the tone for Roger's tenure beautifully, as there are many elements here which would find their way into nearly all of his films. It's quite unique as a Bond entry, and highly memorable. I'll be moving it up my ranking when I next do one.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    LALD

I had a blast as usual. Roger Moore's approach is very different to early Connery, who I watched the night before, and it's quite apparent when seeing the earlier films of both actors in quick succession. He doesn't have that raw machismo of the first Bond, nor the physicality or physique. In compensation, he brings oodles of charm and sophistication, combined with a certain cruelty in instances here which is believable. I find him credible as Her Majesty's finest, but he is not quite the same agent as Connery's. He's a different take on it.

Yesterday I gave thought to how that may not have gone down well in 1973 with some who were used to Connery's (and Lazenby's) approach. It's understandable. Perhaps the same will occur when Bond #007 takes over from Craig. Given EON's modus operandi to date, the chances are they may go for someone who brings a lighter and more sophisticated touch, which in my view has been seriously missing during the Craig era. The Babs regime is its own entity so who knows, but if they want to shake it up for the next decade, I wouldn't be surprised if they go in this direction once more to avoid negative comparisons with Craig. I would personally welcome it.

Anyway, great film, with probably the most memorable villain roster, a beautiful Bond girl, and a wonderful score. I like how they use New York too. Most of the shots are 'on the ground' (as opposed to skyline) and give a natural vibe to the city circa 1970s, particularly Harlem. In a way, it set the tone for Roger's tenure beautifully, as there are many elements here which would find their way into nearly all of his films. It's quite unique as a Bond entry, and highly memorable. I'll be moving it up my ranking when I next do one.

Well said.
    Thanks @Remington and @Birdleson.

I forgot to add earlier that for the first time I realized that Rog is wearing a shirt with some sort of pattern on it when he's interrogated at Big's and later when he's in the boat chase. The ecru number. For all these years I thought it was a plain shirt. The benefits of high def upscaling and a larger screen. Highly recommended, although it also shows up wrinkles and other skin discolourations far more noticeably as well.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,087
    SPECTRE

Probably the Bond film with the most ambition, but least invention.

I mean think about it, not even counting the direct references to previous Bond entries, this film does nothing of its own. It's the story of the franchise, told in one film. The love story is equal parts OHMSS and CR, the Brothergate is basically GE. The score is mostly reused from SF, and to top it off, to add insult to injury not only do they use the same 007 theme they've been using since CR, but as their flourish to cap of the adventure they give Bond his DB5 back. That's right, the same car that appeared in 4 out of the past 7 Bond films? Yeah, that's back. Like that's supposed to really impress you at this point.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    In light of the nuptials today, I may just watch SF... as part of the Commonwealth union...-- I should apply some patriotism considering my parents lived through WW2 in bombed out England....; one grandfather fought, was shot and survived, the other was an ambulance driver and saved lives.

I'm first generation Canadian and am proud of my heritage.

SF it is then... (perhaps with Boyle's Bond and Queen meeting for the Olympics as an intro....)

• peterpeter Toronto
    I actually think @barryt007 is immortal... perhaps the father of us all...?

In all seriousness, to a great member here, love to you and your bride @barryt007
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I'm in the mood for some Dalton tonight but I don't think I'll be able to. Sad times. Congrats to @barryt007 again.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 512
    In honour of Sir Rog. The Spy who Loved Me yesterday. It was the first time for my girlfriend. She loved it, especially Moore's quirky quips and dialogue.
    It's still Moore's best and it's a prototype Bondfilm.
    JWPepper wrote: »
    In honour of Sir Rig. The Spy who Loved Me yesterday. It was the first time for my girlfriend. She loved it, especially Moore's quirky quips and dialogue.

Is Sir Rig the husband of Diana Rigg ?

In honour of Sir Rig. The Spy who Loved Me yesterday. It was the first time for my girlfriend. She loved it, especially Moore's quirky quips and dialogue.
    Agreed completely. A truly iconic and epic entry which still holds up very well today, 40+ years later.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    barryt007 wrote: »

Is Sir Rig the husband of Diana Rigg ?

It is German for Roger.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,595
    @bondjames Nicely put regarding LALD. I could be wrong here, but judging from the consensus on this forum, and a couple other Bond related boards I’ve lurked now and then, it’s nice to see a general reconsidering of Moore’s Bond films as a whole. When I was a kid/teenager I remember it being very in-vogue to dumpster most, if not all, of Moore’s outings.

Perhaps not inconsequentially, the older I’ve gotten, the better I respond to his films as well. This may be due to the fact that we’ve all seen these movies a million times, we know (although of course we disagree from time to time) that they’re all flawed in some regard, some entries more than others, and it always comes down to whether the Bond actor — the person with the most screen time — is a compelling on-screen presence. The films around Moore were formulaic and comfortable in their camp, but he’s just charismatic as hell in all 7, and unlike Brozzer (or perhaps Craig in Spectre) he wasn’t trying to ape or “play” James Bond. He simply was, in his own way.

Edit: For the record, I may be wrong about all of this. And take what I say with a grain of salt, I rank some of Moore’s most infamous outings very, very high.
    I like LALD but I can’t help think of it as basically a larger scale tv special Bond adventure padded out by comic set pieces.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @ThighsOfXenia . I'm inclined to agree with you on a general reassessment of Moore's films. I'm not sure why that is. It could just be due to the passage of time and a nostalgic element - what's old is new again. It could be due to his passing. It could of course also be due to SP itself, which more than anything made me at least realize how brilliant Moore was at being that kind of insouciant, super suave, nonchalant Bond. As you said, he simply was. There was no obvious acting and no fakery there. He had tremendous screen presence as that type of Bond as well.

If I remember correctly, there was a backlash against the lighter Bond films around the time Craig was cast, given the darker direction post-911, and of course due to Nolan and Bourne having provided a new way forward. I'm assuming that was also the case when Dalton took over, but for other reasons. Perhaps we are at a stage again where a directional change is required, but in the opposite way. That seems to be the opinion of many members on this forum of late, including myself.

I too could of course be entirely incorrect. Time will tell, depending on what they give us with B25 and how well it's received.

--
    @BAIN123, I agree that the film seems a bit cheesy and tv like in places, but I think that's part of its charm. I think it was made for far less than some of the immediately prior entries.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I agree @ThighsOfXenia. As one gets older - read more cynical - Sir Rog's Bond films remind us of a simpler time. Sure, the overt humour does grate a bit, but Sir Rog is such a charismatic actor, I let it go. He's like a favorite uncle, guiding through his oft-bizarre films, with a wink and a nod.
    @bondjames Nicely put regarding LALD. I could be wrong here, but judging from the consensus on this forum, and a couple other Bond related boards I’ve lurked now and then, it’s nice to see a general reconsidering of Moore’s Bond films as a whole. When I was a kid/teenager I remember it being very in-vogue to dumpster most, if not all, of Moore’s outings.

Perhaps not inconsequentially, the older I’ve gotten, the better I respond to his films as well. This may be due to the fact that we’ve all seen these movies a million times, we know (although of course we disagree from time to time) that they’re all flawed in some regard, some entries more than others, and it always comes down to whether the Bond actor — the person with the most screen time — is a compelling on-screen presence. The films around Moore were formulaic and comfortable in their camp, but he’s just charismatic as hell in all 7, and unlike Brozzer (or perhaps Craig in Spectre) he wasn’t trying to ape or “play” James Bond. He simply was, in his own way.

Edit: For the record, I may be wrong about all of this. And take what I say with a grain of salt, I rank some of Moore’s most infamous outings very, very high.

I agree complete with this. You can discuss the negatives of his seven films in length and detail, but you can't find many negatives about his on-screen presence. He brought something different to the role from Connery - and made the role completely his own.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Diamonds Are Forever
    I hadn't watched a Bond this year yet, and for some odd reason, I felt like watching DAF. When I got into Bond, just over 20 yrs ago, DAF was one of my favouries. But over the years, it has slipped down my ranking. Between Connery looking a shadow of his former self (here he looks like a of an out of shape, middle aged, American car dealer), Blofeld in drag, the weird tone, the lift fight, "my god, you just killed James Bond" and Tiffany herself, there is a lot I don't like. I like some pieces of the soundtrack though, 'Gunbarrel & Manhunt' and 'Bond To Holland' are my favourites.
    Diamonds Are Forever
    I hadn't watched a Bond this year yet, and for some odd reason, I felt like watching DAF. When I got into Bond, just over 20 yrs ago, DAF was one of my favouries. But over the years, it has slipped down my ranking. Between Connery looking a shadow of his former self (here he looks like a of an out of shape, middle aged, American car dealer), Blofeld in drag, the weird tone, the lift fight, "my god, you just killed James Bond" and Tiffany herself, there is a lot I don't like. I like some pieces of the soundtrack though, 'Gunbarrel & Manhunt' and 'Bond To Holland' are my favourites.

One of those that never fails to put a smile on my face.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Diamonds Are Forever

One of those that never fails to put a smile on my face.

Same goes for me. I really love DAF ever since I was a child. It's far from perfect, it has many flaws, but it's fun. I love the way it's shot and it's one of Barry's best soundtracks.
    Diamonds Are Forever
    I've gone in the opposite direction. It's now one I look upon quite favourably. I've grown to like its dated chintzy quirkiness.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,595
    One of the sharper screenplays in the entire franchise, and the only one with comedic trappings that fully commits to the genre. Most of the Bond films that skew more toward humor are too hesitant to commit, DAF isn’t. And I respect it for that quite a lot.

edit: Just finished Quantum of Solace. Few more thoughts on it in the Bondathon thread.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Ok, I have been rather down on LTK on some other threads, so tonight armed with a bottle of Whisky I have dived into the LTK bluray.

My feelings on the film haven't really changed although I did enjoy this viewing. Dalton still overacts, but not in every scene. There's some good acting in the Wavecrest scene where Bond threatens Lupe with a knife. And to be fair she ain't bad either in these scenes. What follows is the best sequence in the film. Well filmed by John Glen as Bond destroys the drugs haul and then commandeers the sea plane. Nice action indeed. Also the truck chase apart from that silly wheelie is technically excellent. Love the Kenworth going over on two wheels.

The PTS is also a good one. Get rid of that awful slow motion shot and it's a really good opener for the film.

Enjoyed the deleted scenes. A good one with Bond watching Sanchez on a news report while wearing a white shirt and shoulder holster and a terrible one with Bond wearing a floppy hat. I know he was undercover but that's ridiculous!

Some nice home movies about the film from Peter Lamont, especially the footage of the mansion that doubled as Sanchez's home.

So not a total disaster, but with many flaws, this was one of my better viewings.