Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

I love and embrace DAF's little imperfections. I love that Connery appears a bit weathered compared to when we saw him last. Bushy eyebrows, large sideburns, a hairpiece with a higher widow's peak hairline, (not to mention he seriously needs his neck taper cleaned up), and his clothes throughout. I love that he's not as lean as before or after, and that he's having a blast. It's almost like this Bond film was a vacation for him. To think his entire fee went to the Scottish Educational Trust fund.

The plot is as convoluted as ever, and plays homage to Howard Hughes. I wonder how many newer Bond fans watching DAF today get that reference?

I'm fascinated by DAF's period in history. Really a transitional film. There are characters that look right out of 1971: Mr Kidd, several of Felix's CIA agents, yet the balloon barker looks like he belongs in the 1940's as does Marc Lawrence. Cool stuff, IMO.

The oil rig climax gets some flack, but I always liked it. Maybe it's not as big as the volcano set piece, or the supertanker battle, but I'll take it over the last several Bond endings any day. Overall a fun film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    After seeing OHMSS I saw several other Bond films before DAF. That way I could enjoy it for what it is, and not as a sequel to that masterpiece.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Anyone else view DAF as a follow-up to YOLT, with OHMSS taking place afterwards. The reason that Bond is pissed during the DAF PTS is because of Aki's death. I just like to assume that Lazenby's Bond had plastic surgery to hide his identity and that's why Blofeld doesn't recognize him. Wasn't that in one of the scripts?
    Watched QOS again tonight. God I love more every time I watch it.
    Remington wrote: »

It’s been trending up for me the last 3 or 4 watches. It has a lot of good energy and excitement to it. It’s definitely a good one I think.
    You know, LALD is so cool that it has at least five memorable bad guys: Kananga, Baron Samedi, Tee Hee, Whisper and that sneaky cab driver.

The film has grown on me big time in recent times.

Great photo:
    RM002.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    You know, LALD is so cool that it has at least five memorable bad guys: Kananga, Baron Samedi, Tee Hee, Whisper and that sneaky cab driver.

The film has grown on me big time in recent times.

Great photo:
    RM002.jpg
    Agreed, love that photo too. So much charisma there. LALD, OP, FRWL and GE probably have the most colourful & charismatic set of villains for me.
    mattjoes wrote: »

I will be difficult for a future Bond film to top that – and not only be the number of villains! LALD is one of the films that I usually rank higher and higher for each viewing. Roger introduced himself as Bond in a so effortlessly cool way only he could do.
    I’ve always been a fan of LALD. It’s just a lot of fun and has a terrific cast/characters. It’s one of the series’ most unique, and certainly the absolute funniest one for my money.
    Top three funniest Bond films for me are DAF, TMWTGG and FYEO. AVTAK has its moments as well.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

;)
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 12,276
    DAF and TMWTGG can be quite unfunny for me much of the time. They have their moments though, particularly Wint and Kidd’s screentime.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It never leaves my Top 7.

Me neither.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    DAF and TMWTGG can be quite unfunny for me much of the time. They have their moments though, particularly Wint and Kidd’s screentime.

They were criminally under-used .
    Wint and Kidd needed a lot more scenes in the film.

barryt007 wrote: »

They need their own film.

Alas,as you know ,Bruce is the only one left .

They could recast.

Brokewint Mountain

They could recast.

Nope .
    IMO they couldn’t be replaced .
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    TSWLM This film is perfection.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,417
    'Observe Mister Bund, the introments of Armageddon'
    Watched YOLT tonight. He gave it a 9 which surprised me. Unless you count SP, it's still probably my least favorite of the series, although I love the film up to and including the Little Nellie sequence. I give it a 7.

Anyway, since DAF is more of a follow-up to YOLT instead of OHMSS, should we watch DAF next or OHMSS? It just seems DAF would seem less jarring if watched next.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 684
    Anyway, since DAF is more of a follow-up to YOLT instead of OHMSS, should we watch DAF next or OHMSS? It just seems DAF would seem less jarring if watched next.
    You're right. Eon basically pretended OHMSS didn't exist between, so I say do the same and go DAF. The opening shot has Bond hunting down Blofeld in Japan. Seamless.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,062
    That's a good match. Still recognizing Charles Gray in both, of course.

It reminds me of the revenge theme suggestion to watch From Russia With Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, then For Your Eyes Only for their connections.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    @Birdleson for some reason either Dr. No or Thunderball would be an interesting pair. Not quite why though.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I want to put in QOS tonight, but would like to pair it with another entry. Not another Craig, and I’m not in the mood for a Dalton or OHMSS (probably not a Brosnan either, but who knows?). Any suggestions, and why it would be a good pairing?

Dr. No, definitely.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I want to put in QOS tonight, but would like to pair it with another entry. Not another Craig, and I’m not in the mood for a Dalton or OHMSS (probably not a Brosnan either, but who knows?). Any suggestions, and why it would be a good pairing?

Goldfinger.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    @Birdleson for some reason either Dr. No or Thunderball would be an interesting pair. Not quite why though.
    One reason: Peter Hunt's groundbreaking editing style at the time. To compare with Quantum's.

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,318
    Last one for me is TLD, which is also my favorite. It always manages to fill me with bliss and 'outside of my brain', if only for two hours. Love the film to bits. Best OST for me, too.

tfuTiRB.jpg
    hUvQbZk.jpg
    Original Soundtrack.