Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The winking fish is stupid idea and moment in the film. Yes, maybe there is a timer, but it's still a silly way to end one of the darkest Bonds in the catelogue. Probably it would fit a Roger Moore movie better.

It's just another jarring moment in a tonally uneven film. Leiter's jovial comment about going fishing after all the bloodshed and his new wife's murder is so out of place it's hilarious.

It's the only Bond film I find unintentionally funny.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The winking fish is stupid idea and moment in the film. Yes, maybe there is a timer, but it's still a silly way to end one of the darkest Bonds in the catelogue. Probably it would fit a Roger Moore movie better.

It's just another jarring moment in a tonally uneven film. Leiter's jovial comment about going fishing after all the bloodshed and his new wife's murder is so out of place it's hilarious.

@LeopardPine so much strangeness. Remember the random slow motion moment during the PTS? That took any genuine urgency out of the situation.

Probably the most tonally frustrated film in the franchise, as well as DAD.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

@LeopardPine so much strangeness. Remember the random slow motion moment during the PTS? That took any genuine urgency out of the situation.

That slow motion shot is so weird. Also how about that worst actor in history, the black FBI agent telling bond not to go for revenge or some nonsense
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

That slow motion shot is so weird. Also how about that worst actor in history, the black FBI agent telling bond not to go for revenge or some nonsense
    You mean Grand L. Bush? Little Johnson from Die Hard? Yes, he was pretty horrid. A lot of the acting in Florida was amateur hour imho. Embarrassing.
    bondjames wrote: »

You mean Grand L. Bush? Little Johnson from Die Hard? Yes, he was pretty horrid. A lot of the acting in Florida was amateur hour imho. Embarrassing.

This is where it ends, Commander!
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Awful stuff!

I think with LTK the makers weren't altogether sure what sort of Bond film they were making and as a result it falls between two stools.

I know it has it's odd admirer's on here but the film is a complete dog.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Awful stuff!

I always felt there were several instances in LTK where perhaps there might have been a better take used.
    A lot of the Miami stuff in LTK during the early part of the film has dated very badly. The best parts happen once Bond is taken in by Sanchez after the raid.
    When I last watched it those scenes all felt like they were from a fairly poor US tv show. The way it was filmed just made it look very uncinematic.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    When I last watched it those scenes all felt like they were from a fairly poor US tv show. The way it was filmed just made it look very uncinematic.
    I certainly agree that it has a cheesy dated tv quality, and the actors selected are very much a reason for that imho. Having said that, I don't mind it at all because it's a pretty unique film in the canon. Similarly, I don't mind that GE seems dated in places either, for similar reasons. I can be more forgiving due to the fact that they are 'one-offs' in a way.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,595
    I have soured a bit on LTK as time has passed, chiefly because it looks like shit, but it is head and shoulders above the large handful of films I'd rank in the bottom tier.

It isn't a bad Bond film, but it is odd that I rank one of Dalton's films in the upper echelon of the franchise, and the other near the bottom. Would be more understandable if they'd been helmed by different directors, but Glen made both. Not saying my word is the final one, but I think TLD is the stronger film in nearly every way. I wonder if Glen just ran out of steam, after having directed so many.
    It isn't a bad Bond film, but it is odd that I rank one of Dalton's films in the upper echelon of the franchise, and the other near the bottom. Would be more understandable if they'd been helmed by different directors, but Glen made both.
    I similarly feel the same about Mendes's two outings.
    Not saying my word is the final one, but I think TLD is the stronger film in nearly every way.
    I'm the opposite on this (and this is an area where I differ with the majority of the forum). I far prefer LTK (top 10 for me) to TLD (I have it lower middle of the pack).
    I have soured a bit on LTK as time has passed, chiefly because it looks like shit, but it is head and shoulders above the large handful of films I'd rank in the bottom tier.

That's another of its problems. Television looking. The sets of the Bar fight, and Ninja fight look shoddy, especially in the cannon of Bond.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 684

That's another of its problems. Television looking. The sets of the Bar fight, and Ninja fight look shoddy, especially in the cannon of Bond.
    Yes, and it's not even just the photography or the lighting. There's hardly a shot that looks planned or thought out. That's what makes it feel especially cheap/rushed.

It isn't a bad Bond film, but it is odd that I rank one of Dalton's films in the upper echelon of the franchise, and the other near the bottom. Would be more understandable if they'd been helmed by different directors, but Glen made both. Not saying my word is the final one, but I think TLD is the stronger film in nearly every way. I wonder if Glen just ran out of steam, after having directed so many.

Same with me. TLD is one of my favourite Bond films.

Yet LTK sits way down my list.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    See I really like LTK, it’s in my top ten but there are some serious issues in that film. They also shouldn’t have left Felix alive at the end, it undermines the stakes of the film
    OP is flawed (which Bond film isn't) but it's also reasonably well paced and a lot of fun from start to finish.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Come to think of it, had they cast someone for Major Dexter Smythe, I would have had Ian Hendry enlisted in the role.
    I enjoy all of those scenes too (including the train top fight and preceding Mercedes on rails chase), but in addition also really like:

1. the PTS (I know you're not a fan),
    2. the Alfa chase and
    3. the bomb diffusal.

Yes, the OP story is almost incidental in the film. Flashback would have been a nice touch.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    For me, it really comes down to a handful of key scenes that I absolutely love, some of my favorite from the entire series; and I just zone out through most of the rest.

-the pursuit and death of 009
    -the introduction of Orlov
    -the auction at Sotheby's
    -Bond and M
    -Bond kills Mischka
    -Bond faces Orlov, and Bond's dispatching of the young soldiers that follows
    -the death of Orlov
    -Bond kills Grischka!
    -Bond defuses the bomb

I also like, but am not bonkers about, the fight on the train top. And I appreciate the inclusion of Fleming's OP, but I really wish they had been more faithful to it; either through Octopussy's recounting, or, better, a flashback scene.

That's still a lot to enjoy! They are great scenes.
    I think Bond meeting Khan for the first time is my favourite scene.
    OP is one of those easy watch Bond films that still has enough “energy” to it to make it fairly thrilling.

By contrast, AVTAK seems downright limp in comparison.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Indeed. Which is somewhat an homage to Bond meeting Drax in MR. Right down to the line "Spend that money quickly, Mr. Bond!".
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Indeed. Which is somewhat an homage to Bond meeting Drax in MR. Right down to the line "Spend that money quickly, Mr. Bond!".

I know that is a popular one, but that scene has always struck me as too artificial, even silly.
    I actually agree. Then again, I'm not too much of a big fan of Louis Jordan's Kamal Khan. He wasn't convincing enough as a villain in my eyes. As for Gobinda's famous crushing the dice in his hand... An obvious homage to Oddjob smashing the golf ball, averagely done.
    Louis Jourdan was great.

“You have...a nasty habit of surviving”
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Louis Jourdan was great.

“You have...a nasty habit of surviving”
    I understand he’s popular among the Bond fans.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    FRWL

Excellent as always. Still my unquestionable #1 Bond film. I love the atmosphere in this one - it's basically dripping with ambiance from start to finish, particularly in Istanbul and then later on the Orient Express. Barry's score is suspenseful and has a tense staccato quality which perfectly fits the film, and it's particularly impressive when Tanya goes to meet Klebb for the first time and then again at Hagia Sofia. There is an aura of exoticism combined with a raw grittiness. It's a wonderful combination.

I personally think this is Connery's best performance as Bond. I know some prefer him in DN, and it's a close call for me, but I feel he's a little more relaxed and nonchalant in this one and that's to my preference. The man is just too cool here. Most importantly, he exudes immeasurable amounts of charisma and is perfectly credible as Her Majesty's best. One believes this man is a killer but also can get any woman he wants, particularly a Russian defector purely on the basis of a file photo. Speaking of women, I've always been a fan of Daniela Bianchi in this film, and my opinion hasn't changed with this viewing. In fact, it's been reinforced. She is quite statuesque and well proportioned (most readily notable during the Hagia Sophia sequence where she's quite stunning), but also exudes a certain demureness which appeals. Finally there is Robert Shaw as the extremely lethal and sinister Red Grant. Probably one of the most convincing adversaries Bond has faced imho, and that's saying something give how many films there have been in the series since. I have to say though that I'm often reminded of Daniel Craig when seeing Shaw in action, particularly in that grey number he wears on the Orient Express. They both have a similar stocky physique, and then there's of course the hair.

This was my first viewing in upscaled 4K glory and the added visible detail enhanced the experience.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 684
    FRWL remains a top ten for me, but oddly I seem to enjoy it least of all the 60s entries. Those last two action sequences are just a bit much for me. I'd much rather the film had stuck closer to the book in that regard. But everything till then is really top notch, including Connery, as you noted @bondjames. I agree that he seems to have relaxed more into the character here. In terms of villains, it doesn't get much better than watching Connery and Shaw play off one another. Connery/Frobe is the only other pairing that comes close, but it's enjoyable because its drawn out the whole film. With Shaw I think it works so well because it's all build up until those few minutes.
    This was my first viewing in upscaled 4K glory and the added visible detail enhanced the experience.
    Haven't had the chance yet to take in a 4K Bond film, but I'm massively looking forward to it. I heard somewhere that there was no color-tinkering as with the UEs, and that the colors should match up well to some of the older home releases, which would be great.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Strog wrote: »
    FRWL remains a top ten for me, but oddly I seem to enjoy it least of all the 60s entries. Those last two action sequences are just a bit much for me. I'd much rather the film had stuck closer to the book in that regard.
    I agree @Strog. For me it peaks on the Orient Express. Having said that I still prefer the two last action sequences in FRWL to the whole post-ball beater section of CR, where the romance is established and where Vesper is killed. I find the FRWL section moves much quicker, which is to its benefit.
    In terms of villains, it doesn't get much better than watching Connery and Shaw play off one another. Connery/Frobe is the only other pairing that comes close, but it's enjoyable because its drawn out the whole film. With Shaw I think it works so well because it's all build up until those few minutes.
    I agree. Moreover, it's established so chillingly in the PTS, when Grant kills a Bond double. I noticed upon this viewing that the film makers smartly put Connery in some thick and visible (at least in high def) makeup for the PTS, which made the 'mask' more credible. Nice touch.
    Haven't had the chance yet to take in a 4K Bond film, but I'm massively looking forward to it. I heard somewhere that there was no color-tinkering as with the UEs, and that the colors should match up well to some of the older home releases, which would be great.
    Just to be clear, I viewed a standard blu ray upscaled via my 4K tv, and not a pure 4K stream, which I'm sure would be even better.