The MI6 Community Religion and Faith Discussion Space (for members of all faiths - and none!)

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ludovico wrote: »

And you can always put the blame on her... Like the shameless harlot she is. That's the Christian way: 1)be lead into temptation, 2)ask God forgiveness (why be good when you can be forgiven?) and 3)blame the temptress.
    The whores. Tempting good men from the straight and narrow. I hear a voice in my head which I think is God telling me to go out and slaughter them. As it's God telling me I'm not mental so think I should go and do it. Now where's my claw hammer?
    Now for the record, I kill, rape and commit adultery as much as I want. And this amount is zero.
    Hang on I thought you were an atheist mate? How can you restrain yourself without God to stop you? Is this you coming out as a believer?
    Wiz kid I was clearly referring to what you said a few pages ago how you would murder your loved ones rapist and killer to which pat would say he would kill two murders thus a serial killer is born jeez maybe that is why your an atheist you can’t remember what you yourself said a few pages earlier
    http://www.tektonics.org/af/batbird.php

Also Lud here is your answer on bats

But you won’t read it so let’s just assume you will bring this up in 6 pages again
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2018 Posts: 17,854

And you can always put the blame on her... Like the shameless harlot she is. That's the Christian way: 1)be lead into temptation, 2)ask God forgiveness (why be good when you can be forgiven?) and 3)blame the temptress.
    The whores. Tempting good men from the straight and narrow. I hear a voice in my head which I think is God telling me to go out and slaughter them. As it's God telling me I'm not mental so think I should go and do it. Now where's my claw hammer?
    Now for the record, I kill, rape and commit adultery as much as I want. And this amount is zero.
    Hang on I thought you were an atheist mate? How can you restrain yourself without God to stop you? Is this you coming out as a believer?

You're finally showing your true nature, Wiz.
    And it suits you, sir.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Risico007 wrote: »

But you won’t read it so let’s just assume you will bring this up in 6 pages again

"I love... bats..." - Vicky Vale
    Even Alan Partridge knew that bats were birds.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 14,858

I actually will when I have time. I skipped through it quickly. A book inspired by God should not wait for scientists to classify an animal correctly. Birds is not merely a label which can be put arbitrarily on things as this article suggests. It has specific characteristics. And no matter how you cut it bats are not birds. I understand someone from the Bronze Age to get it wrong. But the creator of the universe and what's in it should have its facts straight.

@Dragonpol How about that definition of the Supreme Being/God so we can discuss it? And what you meant by creating something at God's image.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,602
    Re the seven days thing, its the perfect example of moving the goal posts. Before the tricky scientific evidence came up, believers were very happy to take the seven days at face value. It was never questioned. It's God after all. Why shouldn't he create everything in seven days?

So what do you do? The evidence is so overwhelming. Well, you could realise that it's clearly untrue. That possibly, it's all garbage. That would be a reasonable option. But what if you were so deluded that you can't handle it being untrue? It must be true. It's in the Bible, it's the word of God.

Quick, think, what can we do.

Ah! Yes, God's days are not our day's. When he said seven day's , he was referring to God days (and, even knowing the book was being read by humans, forget to explain this). God can define a day as any length he likes. He's God, he can do that. So everything's all right.

And also, God's seven is not our seven. His seven is actually billions. He has his own numbering system. Did you not know that? C'mon, keep up.

Apart from the fact that, by doing so, you undermine the whole "word of God" because, if God's set of defintions is different from ours, then the whole book has no meaning to us. Black can be God's white. Good can be God's bad etc etc One of our minutes can be God's million years. Sounds stupid because it is. Sound's childish because it is.

(remember how some kids convince themselves the Father Xmas can slow down time in order to vist all of the houses? how else do you fit a fairy tale into the rigid framework of reality?)

But you either move the goal posts or concede defeat. And you can't concede defeat because the whole World comes crashing down and you relasie that we are actually on our own, a tiny, tiny spec in the vastness of space with nobody else apart from ourselves who cares and death means death.

It's speaks volumes regarding how terrifying reality is for so many that they have to go to such remarkable lengths to avoid it.
    What's also odd is that an omnipotent God needs to rest one day (never might the length). And he can physically walk in the Garden of Eden, have his footsteps be heard AND Adam and Eve can actually hide from God... Some godly power and omnipotence!
    No, God's defintion of rest is actually working twice as hard. He was behind schedule.

All these years, the shops have been closing at 4pm for no reason.

And his walking is not our walking, and his heard is not our heard and his hide is not our hide.....you get the picture.
    patb wrote: »
    Re the seven days thing, its the perfect example of moving the goal posts. Before the tricky scientific evidence came up, believers were very happy to take the seven days at face value. It was never questioned. It's God after all. Why shouldn't he create everything in seven days?

So what do you do? The evidence is so overwhelming. Well, you could realise that it's clearly untrue. That possibly, it's all garbage. That would be a reasonable option. But what if you were so deluded that you can't handle it being untrue? It must be true. It's in the Bible, it's the word of God.

Ah! Yes, God's days are not our day's. When he said seven day's , he was referring to God days (and, even knowing the book was being read by humans, forget to explain this). God can define a day as any length he likes. He's God, he can do that. So everything's all right.

And also, God's seven is not our seven. His seven is actually billions. He has his own numbering system. Did you not know that? C'mon, keep up.

Apart from the fact that, by doing so, you undermine the whole "word of God" because, if God's set of defintions is different from ours, then the whole book has no meaning to us. Black can be God's white. Good can be God's bad etc etc One of our minutes can be God's million years. Sounds stupid because it is. Sound's childish because it is.

(remember how some kids convince themselves the Father Xmas can slow down time in order to vist all of the houses? how else do you fit a fairy tale into the rigid framework of reality?)

But you either move the goal posts or concede defeat. And you can't concede defeat because the whole World comes crashing down and you relasie that we are actually on our own, a tiny, tiny spec in the vastness of space with nobody else apart from ourselves who cares and death means death.

It's speaks volumes regarding how terrifying reality is for so many that they have to go to such remarkable lengths to avoid it.
    Cracking post. That did give me a chortle!

But hang on I'm sure I read that a year is actually 1000 years somwhere:
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    A day is like a thousand years to the Lord.
    (no source cited obviously) Does that clear things up? 6000 years from the Big Bang to the emergence of man adds up doesn't it?

(no source cited obviously) Does that clear things up? 6000 years from the Big Bang to the emergence of man adds up doesn't it?

The source is the Bible. Not that that would mean much to you of course.
    "What the Bible says is true"

"Do you have a source for that?"

"Yes, the Bible."

QED
    "What the Bible says is true"

"Do you have a source for that?"

"Yes, the Bible."

QED

He did ask for the source. The Bible is the source.

Not exactly consistent. A day means one thing then something else.

You haven't answered my questions as of yet.
    Can anyone scientifically prove the war if 1812 happened?

Huh?

There's a vast, overwhelming of evidence it happened.

What questions? I doubt any answer would ever satisfy you, mind.

Huh?

There's a vast, overwhelming of evidence it happened.

Like what I mean people claimed it happened sure but give me evidence
    Turning the tables and asking for evidence of another event in no way helps the cause re establising the truth of the Bible.

OK, the whole 1812 thing was a hoax. How does that help prove God? Classic distraction tactics.
    Turning the tables and asking for evidence of another event in no way helps the cause re establising the truth of the Bible.

OK, the whole 1812 thing was a hoax. How does that help prove God? Classic distraction tactics.

Classic distraction methods from atheists they can’t prove anything so they yell it can’t prove god and run away

What's a Supreme Being? You told me it was God... But since you used Supreme Being to define God that's a tautology. I also ask what you mean by God creating man at his image.

@Risico007 You do understand the war was covered by various people as it happened, that it had geopolitical consequences that were documented, etc. But let's say for argument's sake that this war was all made up. That wouldn't prove biblical claims. For which we often have no evidence.

What's a Supreme Being? You told me it was God... But since you used Supreme Being to define God that's a tautology. I also ask what you mean by God creating man at his image.

@Risico007 You do understand the war was covered by various people as it happened, that it had geopolitical consequences that were documented, etc. But let's say for argument's sake that this war was all made up. That wouldn't prove biblical claims. For which we often have no evidence.

I could point out the geopolitical ramifications of Christianity existing and the numerous evidence as well but you would claim it’s not evidence at all so yeah you have no evidence

I could point out the geopolitical ramifications of Christianity existing and the numerous evidence as well but you would claim it’s not evidence at all so yeah you have no evidence

You could and that would not prove any of the supernatural or divine claims, nor does it prove any of the stories told in the Bible. Christianity exists and has existed for about two thousand years. If that's what you want me to agree on then fine. But Christianity does not equal Jesus's resurrection.. For some (and for the record I'm not one of them) it does not even equal Jesus's existence.
    But again I want a plausible explanation for its creation and since none of you have come up with one I guess I am gonna have to stick with the resurrection
    edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117

Oops I didn’t realise you’d got it from such a cast iron and reliable document. I feel rather foolish now.

But I’m any case why not just write it at the start instead of confusing people and then having to issue a retraction later on? Just say it took him 6000 years instead of 6 days? It’s still an impressive feat. I don’t think even I could create the universe in less than about 6729 years so fair play to the bloke, he’s done well. But I don’t get why he felt the need to bullshit people that he nailed it in less than a week?

Also given time now passes according to these new biblical rules does that mean Jesus hasn’t actually risen yet as the three days haven’t passed? I guess we should actually expect to see the empty tomb circa 3032 so Christ, quite literally, alone knows what empty tomb @Risico007 has been banging on about all these months?

And with these revelations about God being a bit lackadaisical with his maths can we trust other things in the bible anymore?

Feeding the 5000 with five loaves and two fish - wahay it’s a miracle! Well actually it was 5000 loaves and 2000 fish so not quite as impressive as if the fish were say tuna then that’s a lot for 2.5 people to get through.

I’m beginning to think you might not be able to trust a word God says!
    But again I want a plausible explanation for its creation and since none of you have come up with one I guess I am gonna have to stick with the resurrection
    That would certainly be one, highly improbable, explanation. Another, more plausible one, might be that they were a bunch of simple minded fishermen swayed by a charismatic leader and genuinely believed he was telling the truth.

I doubt the People’s Temple followers would have drank and fed to their kids what they knew to be cyanide laced Kool Aid if they didn’t genuinely believe Jim Jones was speaking the word of the Lord would they?

Does the fact they all still did it thus mean Jim Jones was telling the truth? Why else would they kill themselves if he wasn’t God? There can be no other rational explanation can there? QED Jim Jones was the messiah.

Oops I didn’t realise you’d got it from such a cast iron and reliable document. I feel rather foolish now.

But I’m any case why not just write it at the start instead of confusing people and then having to issue a retraction later on? Just say it took him 6000 years instead of 6 days? It’s still an impressive feat. I don’t think even I could create the universe in less than about 6729 years so fair play to the bloke, he’s done well. But I don’t get why he felt the need to bullshit people that he nailed it in less than a week?

Also given time now passes according to these new biblical rules does that mean Jesus hasn’t actually risen yet as the three days haven’t passed? I guess we should actually expect to see the empty tomb circa 3032 so Christ, quite literally, alone knows what empty tomb @Risico007 has been banging on about all these months?

And with these revelations about God being a bit lackadaisical with his maths can we trust other things in the bible anymore?

Feeding the 5000 with five loaves and two fish - wahay it’s a miracle! Well actually it was 5000 loaves and 2000 fish so not quite as impressive as if the fish were say tuna then that’s a lot for 2.5 people to get through.

I’m beginning to think you might not be able to trust a word God says!
    That would certainly be one, highly improbable, explanation. Another, more plausible one, might be that they were a bunch of simple minded fishermen swayed by a charismatic leader and genuinely believed he was telling the truth.

I doubt the People’s Temple followers would have drank and fed to their kids what they knew to be cyanide laced Kool Aid if they didn’t genuinely believe Jim Jones was speaking the word of the Lord would they?

Does the fact they all still did it thus mean Jim Jones was telling the truth? Why else would they kill themselves if he wasn’t God? There can be no other rational explanation can there? QED Jim Jones was the messiah.

Again the cult theory only works if fbi working with Jim Jones
    So the most fantastical, extraordinary and supernatural explanation is the most plausible for you?

Whatever your college drug dealer is selling you, that's heavy stuff.
    So the most fantastical, extraordinary and supernatural explanation is the most plausible for you?

Whatever your college drug dealer is selling you, that's heavy stuff.

When you remove the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be right
This discussion has been closed.