The MI6 Community Religion and Faith Discussion Space (for members of all faiths - and none!)

Comments

Risico007 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Careful Wiz he might be a Trump supporter... and think indeed Trump was sent by God.

Regarding Paul, we don't even know how much if any of his story pre conversion is true and even if he truly killed Christians... so what? He was a religious fanatics that switched brand of fanaticism, that's all.

Ah that’s right we know nothing we don’t know what happened in the first century nor do we know what happened in 1812 was there a war who knows

False equivalence. Both events are not even comparable. The 1812 war is actually a historical event supported by evidence.

Where is this evidence

I won't dignify that with an answer.
    Jeez wiz kid I really touched a nerv there I see fine I apologize the joke of calling you a serial killer was clearly in poor taste and I apologize.. I would wait for an apology from the other side for the monsterous things said about me but I feel Christ will return long before that happens

What did we say that was monstrous? You're the one who brought up the adultery argument and the rather creepy comment about the dirty blonde at your workplace. (This is all assuming she exists and is not a Rollo Tomassi).
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Jeez wiz kid I really touched a nerv there I see fine I apologize the joke of calling you a serial killer was clearly in poor taste and I apologize.. I would wait for an apology from the other side for the monsterous things said about me but I feel Christ will return long before that happens
    Too late for that mate.

I felt so offended by you making such remarks about my faith that I felt compelled to do my citizen's duty and report you to the police for religious hatred. So expect a knock on the door.

Or rather don't as the police only investigate when it's the religious who take offence about something.

I can’t believe it the proof for god is right there all along watch this video and this takes the flame out of Wiz’s arguments at least.

For there to be Evil there must be good
    For there to be good there must be an objective moral law
    For there to be an objective moral law here must be a law giver

So in Wiz’s own questions he is assuming God exists otherwise who is to say any action is good or evil?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Too late for that mate.

I felt so offended by you making such remarks about my faith that I felt compelled to do my citizen's duty and report you to the police for religious hatred. So expect a knock on the door.

Or rather don't as the police only investigate when it's the religious who take offence about something.

You've not heard of the torts of libel and slander, then? There are plenty of other avenues available for the defamed in this country. It isn't just the reserve of the religious.
    Yeah now your really going to go after me I’m accusing of being a believer in God
  • RC7RC7
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    So the most fantastical, extraordinary and supernatural explanation is the most plausible for you?

Whatever your college drug dealer is selling you, that's heavy stuff.

I see that (while commenting on the morality of others) you're not above the plain of issuing uncalled for personal insults to those of faith. For that reason, and for the similar comments by the Wiz on the mental health of believers, I am refraining from participating in this thread any further.

I made it crystal clear in the OP that I would not tolerate this sort of thing in this thread and so I'm sticking by my word and leaving the thread immediately. @DarthDimi also warned about how these types threads eventually descend into personal insults. It's sad that your lot had to lower the tone here, but not altogether surprising given the types of personalities involved.
    That is a very laudable moral stance you are making Draggers. Although one notes you weren't so vociferous in castigating your chum @Risico007 when he wrote this yesterday:
    maybe I should just wait till you or Patb kill me when you are on you atheists serial killer attacks

Calling atheists serial killers fine in your book but woe betide anyone who might say the religious are mental and you throw your toys out of the pram and leave the thread?

Except of course you won't because you issued such threats to leave (conservatively) about 20 times already. Even the boy who cried wolf is shaking his head in disbelief at your lack of credibility I'm afraid.

To the impartial observer it does you no favours and, as @RC7 states above, just smacks of someone who has nothing to bring to the argument.
    Perhaps it's time I started asking some questions of the athiests here instead for a change.
    Now that you're leaving (yet again), does this mean we're not going to get skewered with your Paxman-esque questions (that have so far singularly failed to materialise)?

No, as a Christian, I would say that's wrong to say that too of course.
    Back already? That's a record even for you.

Only to reply to your point, to correct a false impression. Two wrongs don't make a right. I'm as critical of Christians as anyone else, if it's called for. That's it for now.

You need to lighten up, mate.
    But then this is what happens when you bring something very personal into a public forum. It’s like me or Wiz starting a thread about marital issues. The devout don’t seem to understand their faith is ultimately very personal and others don’t want to be badgered, lectured or patronised. The dwindling numbers of those with faith in this country should tell you all you need to know. As science evolves, faith regresses.

Perhaps I do, but I've never sought to preach or convert anyone here. Nor have I ever "badgered, lectured or patronised", to the best of my knowledge. That's not what I created the thread for in the first place. It was for largely respectful discourse on religion and faith. It has lasted, against the odds, and I can take some comfort from the fact it is still rolling on over 100 pages later. I don't think anyone could have predicted it would have lasted for that long. Therefore, we must be doing something right at least. That said, it is time I stood back from it again and let it all flow on without me. I doubt my input will be missed very much anyhow.

D.

To be fair to you, you’re certainly not as fanatical as Tweedle-Dee.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So the most fantastical, extraordinary and supernatural explanation is the most plausible for you?

I see that (while commenting on the morality of others) you're not above the plain of issuing uncalled for personal insults to those of faith. For that reason, and for the similar comments by the Wiz on the mental health of believers, I am refraining from participating in this thread any further.

I made it crystal clear in the OP that I would not tolerate this sort of thing in this thread and so I'm sticking by my word and leaving the thread immediately. @DarthDimi also warned about how these types threads eventually descend into personal insults. It's sad that your lot had to lower the tone here, but not altogether surprising given the types of personalities involved.
    That is a very laudable moral stance you are making Draggers. Although one notes you weren't so vociferous in castigating your chum @Risico007 when he wrote this yesterday:
    maybe I should just wait till you or Patb kill me when you are on you atheists serial killer attacks

Calling atheists serial killers fine in your book but woe betide anyone who might say the religious are mental and you throw your toys out of the pram and leave the thread?

Except of course you won't because you issued such threats to leave (conservatively) about 20 times already. Even the boy who cried wolf is shaking his head in disbelief at your lack of credibility I'm afraid.

To the impartial observer it does you no favours and, as @RC7 states above, just smacks of someone who has nothing to bring to the argument.
    Perhaps it's time I started asking some questions of the athiests here instead for a change.
    Now that you're leaving (yet again), does this mean we're not going to get skewered with your Paxman-esque questions (that have so far singularly failed to materialise)?

Only to reply to your point, to correct a false impression. Two wrongs don't make a right. I'm as critical of Christians as anyone else, if it's called for. That's it for now.

But then this is what happens when you bring something very personal into a public forum. It’s like me or Wiz starting a thread about marital issues. The devout don’t seem to understand their faith is ultimately very personal and others don’t want to be badgered, lectured or patronised. The dwindling numbers of those with faith in this country should tell you all you need to know. As science evolves, faith regresses.

Perhaps I do, but I've never sought to preach or convert anyone here. Nor have I ever "badgered, lectured or patronised", to the best of my knowledge. That's not what I created the thread for in the first place. It was for largely respectful discourse on religion and faith. It has lasted, against the odds, and I can take some comfort from the fact it is still rolling on over 100 pages later. I don't think anyone could have predicted it would have lasted for that long. Therefore, we must be doing something right at least. That said, it is time I stood back from it again and let it all flow on without me. I doubt my input will be missed very much anyhow.

D.

2f511e0afb946f43148f26816859ccd4.jpg

ALLAH IS ONE! DEATH TO JUICE!

D.

Which is hilarious as most of my atheist friends in real life don’t mind that I am a Christian and I don’t mind that they are atheists live and let live is my motto but you people seem to have taken Fleming a bit to literally

I can’t believe it the proof for god is right there all along watch this video and this takes the flame out of Wiz’s arguments at least.

For there to be Evil there must be good
    For there to be good there must be an objective moral law
    For there to be an objective moral law here must be a law giver

So in Wiz’s own questions he is assuming God exists otherwise who is to say any action is good or evil?

The guy tries to justify that pain and suffering is good because of one girl with a weird disease where she can feel no pain and without pain she doesn't know when something is wrong?

Yeah well done God - top design there. Why not, when I get kicked in the bollocks, just a little red light flashing in the corner of my vision saying 'Alert - bollocks have been kicked' rather than crippling agony that leaves me bent double and easy prey for any attacker?

Imagine a fire alarm that gave you a 50000 volt shock to wake you up rather than a loud noise? People would say that was mental but when God does something it's sheer genius.

As for the whole 'God must exist as otherwise how would you know what is good and what is evil?' 'argument' - I'm perfectly capable of knowing myself that killing someone, or shagging a dirty blonde behind my wifes back is wrong without the need for God. It's called a conscience.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am stunned by the discussion at hand.

It's certainly true that we cannot conclusively rule out a possible misreading of events taking place 200 or even 20 or even 2 years ago. Historical events are almost always recorded through a filter and details get lost over time. Even today, political leaders can influence what is printed and what isn't. Simply look at Russia, North-Korea, Turkey or China. The only difference is that the Internet has now facilitated leaks of sensitive documents, the publishing of uncomfortable photos (which be manipulated) and the streaming of live recorded audiovisual material. Plus, the Internet is littered with details which are here to stay. Furthermore, as a more sophisticated lot, indulging in certain freedoms and whatnot, we also tend to be more critical, sceptical even, and we demand hard proof rather than hearsay before tolerating a certain version of "the truth". That pleases me, even if "we" don't represent everyone. But going further back in time, the aforementioned sophistication and freedoms were absent. The sceptics came in shorter supplies and they had less access to tools which allow objective verification of "the truth".

It stands to reason, therefore, that events which were recorded in 1812, several centuries after printing had become the normal way of reproducing texts, carry at least some extra weight over events which were recorded nearly two thousand years earlier. Even if we still accept a large percentage of made-up stuff and other forms of manipulation, the closer to the "now", the easier it is for us to rewind time and spot inconsistencies and errors and possibly correct them.

Furthermore, war and other political events operate in a real and tangible framework, completely devoid of the supernatural. The nature of the subject is, therefore, such that it is far better understood than when the supernatural is involved. It is less open to interpretation, less relying on faith and "that feeling that I have". When discussing the details surrounding the subject, one mustn't first waste any time defining the subject, which itself, in case of the supernatural, seems an almost impossible task.

Debating the resurrection of Christ the way one might be debating the American Civil War, for example, would render one in danger of making an equivocation fallacy. In both cases, one would be tempted to fall back on "historical evidence", but while the latter can rely on, indeed, evidence, the former certainly can not. With very few to no independent "journalists" or "historians" writing about Christ's resurrection in his days, and with most texts on the subject written decades after the alleged events, based not on empirical evidence but, at best, on eyewitness testimonies which were, themselves, passed on amongst relatively uneducated people before making the gospels--gospels which also tend to contradict each other in several places and which were copied, manually, by monks, for centuries in fact--every bit of reliability is lost.

Some of you may now try to corner me and assert that if going back further in time renders the validity of our findings less correct, science with all its Big Bang and Evolution nonsense is about as flawed as one can be. Let me stay ahead of you then. First of all, in the former paragraphs, I mentioned war and a belief in dead people walking. These are socio-political and cultural events for which science has little interest, let alone any theoretical model with which to test their factuality. The laws of nature have nothing to do with these things--at best (or at worst if you will) they are being abhorrently defied. These events are neither crucial nor even meaningful to our understanding of how the universe works or where we came from, both in a physical and biological sense. No laboratory experiment, probe or machine can reproduce, test or measure anything of interest in these debates. We can only provide the negative: dead people stay dead. Lastly, these are "historical" events and science doesn't really care about history all that much, except when studying man's impact on nature. What makes science so beautiful is that it studies the universe while factoring out man. Even biologists don't treat man any different than they treat other species. War and worshipped people are topics completely outside the realm of science. Since that is the case, science looks for answers in phenomena which are preferably not open to interpretation nor relying on historical recordings, such as the light from stars, the isotopes remaining in rocks, fossils, soil layers, plate tectonics, nucleic acids and the many conservation laws which apply to elementary particles. In almost all of these cases, we can safely ignore anything man has ever said, thought or done. Data carried by light waves in space or trapped in rocks has a preservation span in the region of millions and even billions of years. An eyewitness may not reliably recount what he saw 15 minutes ago, but the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe showed us the universe 300 000 years after the Big Bang, i.e. some 13.5 billion years ago. Science operates on a whole different level.

I want to end my post with one final note. If we are going to approach Jesus' life with the scrutiny of a historian, my religious friends might actually not like the outcome very much. Many scholars now believe that Jesus never called himself the Son of God; that he, in fact, wasn't the most god-loving of men around. He might rather be called a sort of anti-establishment, anti-oppression, anti-exploitation socialist. If he had been around in the 60s, you might have found him in Woodstock rather than in Church. If he had been around today and a member of this forum, he might even make @TheWizardOfIce blush when defecating all over some of the Jesus worshipping posts made in this thread. Then there is the intriguing mystery surrounding the disappeared gospels, the ones that were written much closer to Jesus' life, possibly more reliable, but which the Church made sure to destroy because they showed a much more human and vastly less "divine" Jesus. Then there are these rumours--and yes, I'm going out on a limb here--of Church leaders throughout the ages confessing to having manipulated and "corrected" the Bible in order to build them a stronger case, the equivalent of making cigarettes extra addictive by mixing the tobacco with certain additives. Another interesting thing is that the Church has long forbidden that the Bible be read by, let alone translated in the native language of, the common folk. If the Bible holds the absolute truth, one wonders why that was so. Even my grandmother (1926 - 2015) was, in her younger days, strictly forbidden to read or discuss (!) the Bible. A local priest, many years later, told her the reason for that--and those words, which she would repeat to me often, have stuck:

"If people could read the Bible, the Church could close its doors for good."

- quod erat demonstrandum -
    You know I read the Bible almost daily and ok wise guy let’s compare Alexander the Great to Jesus shale we

The closest biography to Alexander the Great is 400 years after his life
    The closest for Jesus is 3 years

I’m sorry what were you saying about Christianity coming up short?
    @Dragonpol

I'm writing this with the best intentions.

One has to be blind not to see that you and I stand on opposite sides of the many debates in this thread. However, that shouldn't mean we cannot be good pals on the forum or even in this thread. The way I see it, debating is a necessary activity amongst people. We learn about and from each other when doing so. But, it has to be done right.

When saying you'll walk away from it, you're doing it wrong.

When you opened this thread, I warned you that it would get ugly, not as the mod threatening to lock it down but as a good pal making sure that you understood what you had started. People tend to get very upset when the pendulum swings the other way; hell, we have lost several members already who can't take that and in fact get dangerously emotional about it. Debating an issue can play out like a personal mission, plagued with feelings of being insulted, hated even, but above all of discovering a side of people you hadn't met before. Neither of these things is pleasant. One thing I, however, have learned, is that debates, no matter how heated, are neither fights nor wars, and that they needn't drive a wedge between folks. You and I have agreed on countless things in other threads and will no doubt continue to do so. It's just that in this one, we aren't seeing eye to eye and we most likely never will.

But does that have to be a problem? I like to think of these debates as

1) a good opportunity to improve one's argumentation skills and rhetorical abilities;
    2) a way to expand on our views by learning from those of others.

Even if the tone can get a little caustic from time to time, potentially very personal and dowsed in colourful terms and expressions, every next post is still capable of making the necessary tonal course correction and steer the debate back on track. I'm no expert myself, but I at least try to reason things out rather than duke things out. The way I'm seeing it, we're in one of the most productive threads on the forum right now, over a 100 pages strong in fact. The same people keep coming back too, which is never a bad thing in my opinion. And even if neither of us will ever formally win, the exercise itself is most interesting, educational and, quite frankly, a lot of fun.

So rather than pulling the old "I'm walking away from this thread", why not relax and do as I do? Keep playing the game, maintain your cool and help us to feed good debate. I bet we're all having a good time and we're all fairly passionate about it. But the one who walks away, even if he or she is convinced it is just a matter of "preserving one's dignity" is, by street rules, the one who accepts defeat. You're better than that, @Dragonpol. :)

I wrote all of this with, again, the very best of intentions.
    Which is why Darth no matter what if you are ever and I mean ever in the states you have my number call me and I will buy you a beer no questions asked I owe you that much my friend
    You know I read the Bible almost daily and ok wise guy let’s compare Alexander the Great to Jesus shale we

The closest biography to Alexander the Great is 400 years after his life
    The closest for Jesus is 3 years

I’m sorry what were you saying about Christianity coming up short?

What are you trying to say, @Risico007? I have studied Alexander. Many stories about him are incredibly hard to believe. We may try to backtrack his route into Asia and so forth, but I understand the lack of hard proof for the many details which can usually be found in biographies of him. Historians are also proud to admit that much. Phrases like "it is said" or "rumour has it" or "X or Y claimed" are always meant to indicate that a good pinch of salt is needed.

Please also explain to me how you reading the Bible daily lends it any or your case any additional credence? I read Star Wars comics almost daily but I'm not boasting about it in an attempt to make a case for Jedi-ism.

The closest for Jesus being 3 years? You're clinging on very weak slivers of information, while most elements typically used to build a case of Jesus are taken from gospels written decades after the man's passing.

"Wise guy"? Why? Pray tell. I'm feeding arguments and I'm being honest about going out on a limb when I know I have no proof. A "wise guy" is an arrogant ignoramus who only says what he thinks but doesn't quite know what he's talking about. All I'm trying to do is counter certain arguments with other arguments, logic and a few facts about how science works. Surely my honesty cannot be mistaken for arrogance?
    Which is why Darth no matter what if you are ever and I mean ever in the states you have my number call me and I will buy you a beer no questions asked I owe you that much my friend

@Risico007
    You want to put me on a plane, sir? For we are living half a globe apart, you and I. :D
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2018 Posts: 17,816
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Dragonpol

I'm writing this with the best intentions.

One has to be blind not to see that you and I stand on opposite sides of the many debates in this thread. However, that shouldn't mean we cannot be good pals on the forum or even in this thread. The way I see it, debating is a necessary activity amongst people. We learn about and from each other when doing so. But, it has to be done right.

When saying you'll walk away from it, you're doing it wrong.

When you opened this thread, I warned you that it would get ugly, not as the mod threatening to lock it down but as a good pal making sure that you understood what you had started. People tend to get very upset when the pendulum swings the other way; hell, we have lost several members already who can't take that and in fact get dangerously emotional about it. Debating an issue can play out like a personal mission, plagued with feelings of being insulted, hated even, but above all of discovering a side of people you hadn't met before. Neither of these things is pleasant. One thing I, however, have learned, is that debates, no matter how heated, are neither fights nor wars, and that they needn't drive a wedge between folks. You and I have agreed on countless things in other threads and will no doubt continue to do so. It's just that in this one, we aren't seeing eye to eye and we most likely never will.

But does that have to be a problem? I like to think of these debates as

1) a good opportunity to improve one's argumentation skills and rhetorical abilities;
    2) a way to expand on our views by learning from those of others.

Even if the tone can get a little caustic from time to time, potentially very personal and dowsed in colourful terms and expressions, every next post is still capable of making the necessary tonal course correction and steer the debate back on track. I'm no expert myself, but I at least try to reason things out rather than duke things out. The way I'm seeing it, we're in one of the most productive threads on the forum right now, over a 100 pages strong in fact. The same people keep coming back too, which is never a bad thing in my opinion. And even if neither of us will ever formally win, the exercise itself is most interesting, educational and, quite frankly, a lot of fun.

So rather than pulling the old "I'm walking away from this thread", why not relax and do as I do? Keep playing the game, maintain your cool and help us to feed good debate. I bet we're all having a good time and we're all fairly passionate about it. But the one who walks away, even if he or she is convinced it is just a matter of "preserving one's dignity" is, by street rules, the one who accepts defeat. You're better than that, @Dragonpol. :)

I wrote all of this with, again, the very best of intentions.

OK, thank you very much for that, @DarthDimi. There's much food for thought there and I will think it over. This is, for better or worse, my most successful thread ever, so that is probably why I find it so hard to stay away forever.
    Exactly, @Dragonpol, it is. I for one enjoy coming here. There's a light side to it all, if you take my word for it. ;) I'm sure @RC7, @patb, @Ludovico, @TheWizardOfIce, ... are all having a good time, much like myself. We're principally just defending a cause, nothing less, but certainly nothing more either. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Suddenly, I'm in the mood to watch
    Exactly, @Dragonpol, it is. I for one enjoy coming here. There's a light side to it all, if you take my word for it. ;) I'm sure @RC7, @patb, @Ludovico, @TheWizardOfIce, ... are all having a good time, much like myself. We're principally just defending a cause, nothing less, but certainly nothing more either. :)
    You're right this thread is a riot!
    edited June 2018 Posts: 45,489
    BV-Acharya-35.jpg
    DO AS WE SAY AND NOT AS WE DO!
    BV-Acharya-35.jpg
    DO AS WE SAY AND NOT AS WE DO!
    The motto of the clergy (and it matters not which religion you subscribe to) worldwide.
    The motto of every authority.
    It's funny we trust scientists to go to the moon, send spacecrafts to Mars, to the stars and beyond, to cure diseases, but to discover the age of the universe or explain how humans came to be... apparently they're completely clueless. But an old book got it right.
    Even better, @Ludovico. Creationists are accessing the Internet via iPhone to tell us that the very science that allows these two things is fundamentally flawed. That's like telling people you don't believe in the wheel while driving your car.
    Even better, @Ludovico. Creationists are accessing the Internet via iPhone to tell us that the very science that allows these two things is fundamentally flawed. That's like telling people you don't believe in the wheel while driving your car.

So my iPhone evolved without anyone interacting with it? Hmm perhaps I should keep my work and personal iPhone separate lest they have children
    Have I ever made the point that our technology came into existence without the interference of man?

My whole point was that if you make use of an iPhone, you are counting on the technological fruits of the very science that is often deliberately ignored when asserting that man walked with dinosaurs and that the Earth isn't much older than 6000 years.
    So my iPhone evolved without anyone interacting with it?

Non-sequitur fallacy.
    Hmm perhaps I should keep my work and personal iPhone separate lest they have children

Appeal to ridicule fallacy.

So my iPhone evolved without anyone interacting with it? Hmm perhaps I should keep my work and personal iPhone separate lest they have children
    Can you show me proof that iPhone works because of science?

I just know I can talk and send pictures to people on the other side of the globe (assuming it is a globe not flat of course) as if by magic. Scientists just tell me the signal bounces off satellites but I’ve never seen these satellites so it’s equally possible that it’s God’s intervention that does it.

If you can’t prove to me that there are actually satellites then I’m going to assume it’s divine intervention.
    The irony just went miles over @Risico007 's head...
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,602
    There is an irony in that so many of faith insist in regarding atheism as a religion when, at the same time, if it did what a religion did, they would be up in arms.

Copy of Dawkins in hotel rooms? Big bell ringing out over villages reminding people that God does not exist? Not paying tax? Specific atheists in the House of Lords, etc etc,

Meanwhile , more bonkers....

https://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2018/04/nss-criticises-surrey-police-for-engaging-in-evangelism

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/07/couple-lose-custody-of-child-after-using-toy-lion-they-thought-was-jesus-as-their-lawyer-7612419/
    patb wrote: »
    There is an irony in that so many of faith insist in regarding atheism as a religion when, at the same time, if it did what a religion did, they would be up in arms.

Copy of Dawkins in hotel rooms? Big bell ringing out over villages reminding people that God does not exist? Not paying tax? Specific atheists in the House of Lords, etc etc,

Meanwhile , more bonkers....

https://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2018/04/nss-criticises-surrey-police-for-engaging-in-evangelism

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/07/couple-lose-custody-of-child-after-using-toy-lion-they-thought-was-jesus-as-their-lawyer-7612419/

Depressing. Embarrassing when it comes to the police.
This discussion has been closed.