No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Hopefully they accept it's his last installment sooner rather than later so they can begin the process of finding the next Bond as soon as possible. No sense in waiting a year or more after B25 to begin the process, as it'll just take that much longer to get production going. It'd be nice if B25 is a massive success at the box office and that helps get the search kickstarted.

Indeed. I hope B25 rejuvenates EON, and that Universal is up for getting a release date for B26 established so the hunt can begin sooner than later.

I figure they won't want to go through the distribution headache all over again so I too could see them tackling more installments in the future. Definitely going to be weird seeing that Universal logo kick things off!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Here's a plan. Rather than trying to predict whether it's his last, fifth, mid-installment whatever, just anticipate the film, enjoy it when it comes out, and leave the rest for fate and let time do the telling whether it's Craig or not. You'll only work yourself up if you try to think further what you'll never know till they tell you.
    Again: what harm is there in discussing what the future may hold? There's not one person getting worked up over it. Expressing our hopes for what it (and B25) may hold, that's it. It's just odd to me seeing comments like this when we're 1,551 pages into discussing a film that we just got our second big confirmation on.
    Initially, no harm. Subsequently, arguments will spark, condescending comments from some members will come in the midst, and the thread will be derailed into a melodrama.
    Well I'm seeing no condescension or derailment over wondering whether or not he does a sixth. Time will tell. Though I think this thread has been derailed or turned into an argument to some degree once a page/every other page so it'd be par for the course!
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,964
    IMO with the 60th anniversary just 3 years away from Bond 25 in 2019 I don’t rule out Craig doing a 6th film.

Celebrate the 60th anniversary with a new actor starting or celebrate it with Daniel Craig ending his run as Bond.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    IMO with the 60th anniversary just 3 years away from Bond 25 in 2019 I don’t rule out Craig doing a 6th film.

Where is the connection? Why not leave the anniversary for the 7th actor in the role.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Hopefully they accept it's his last installment sooner rather than later so they can begin the process of finding the next Bond as soon as possible. No sense in waiting a year or more after B25 to begin the process, as it'll just take that much longer to get production going. It'd be nice if B25 is a massive success at the box office and that helps get the search kickstarted.

Indeed. I hope B25 rejuvenates EON, and that Universal is up for getting a release date for B26 established so the hunt can begin sooner than later.

I figure they won't want to go through the distribution headache all over again so I too could see them tackling more installments in the future. Definitely going to be weird seeing that Universal logo kick things off!

I definitely hope so.

I'm a little confused, though. Is the Universal logo appearing only outside the U.S.? I imagine we here in the States will just be getting the MGM logo.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    For those clamoring for short turnarounds on Bond films, there is this cautionary note:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/25/media/solo-star-wars-movie-analysis/index.html

Now, I would agree that four years is too long. Two years apart may be too short.
    I love Craig as Bond, but I also think it’s time for the sun to set on his era. I could see EON trying to get him to do a 60th anniversary entry if they want to play it safe, but at the same time we already had him for the 50th, and with these longer gaps it may not even be likely it comes out on time. A lot is still up in the air for the long-term future. It would be better for us if Universal has more than 1 Bond lined up, so at least distributor would be knocked off the long to-do list.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 40,371
    TripAces wrote: »
    For those clamoring for short turnarounds on Bond films, there is this cautionary note:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/25/media/solo-star-wars-movie-analysis/index.html

Now, I would agree that four years is too long. Two years apart may be too short.

The fundamental difference though is we're discussing a two year turnaround versus three or more with one single Bond film, versus several (or at least one, plus a bunch of confirmations of upcoming other titles) spin-offs, sequels and prequels a year from the Star Wars franchise. The latter already has me so burnt out that I doubt I check out just about any of those movies for the foreseeable future, which is a shame. I hope Bond never falls victim to the same distribution model. 2-3 years max per installment for Bond is absolutely viable.
    I think that's a entirely separate issue @TripAces. The article is referring to Star Wars fatigue with "four movies in two and a half years" and not one movie every two years. There's nothing wrong with releasing a Bond movie every 2 years. Notice the article isn't discussing Mission: Impossible fatigue.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    EON didn't missed the 40th anniversary in 2002 with DAD, and in 2012 with SF. I'm pretty sure they'll do Bond 26 in 2022.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 15,785
    I haven't seen any of the newer Star Wars movies and already I'm burnt out on them.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Now that universal is distributing maybe we can expect a bond attraction at universal theme park
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    EON didn't missed the 40th anniversary in 2002 with DAD, and in 2012 with SF. I'm pretty sure they'll do Bond 26 in 2022.

They only missed the 30th because it fell in that deadzone between 89 and 95. They hit the 25th with TLD.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil

They only missed the 30th because it fell in that deadzone between 89 and 95. They hit the 25th with TLD.

Exactly.

I don't think there would have been a 30th anniversary film regardless. They were aiming for a 1991 release date until it got pushed back. Tim's 4th outing would have been aimed for 1993.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Looks like I'm late to the party. Very happy about this press release, and I'm espacially pleased that it seems the Purvis & Wade era is finally OVER. Also, now even @Mendes4Lyfe has to admit Craig is officially on board. :)) (Or was it someone else who claimed Craig announcing his return on Colbert did not count as an official announcement?)

It's interesting that they already announced on which day exactly filming will begin. I don't think they have ever done that this far in advance before.
    They knew we were hungry for knowledge haha.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    bondsum wrote: »
    I think that's a entirely separate issue @TripAces. The article is referring to Star Wars fatigue with "four movies in two and a half years" and not one movie every two years. There's nothing wrong with releasing a Bond movie every 2 years. Notice the article isn't discussing Mission: Impossible fatigue.

True, it isn’t an apples-apples comparison. But EON still has to be mindful of saturation, even with a single character.
  • RC7RC7

He makes a reasonable point, though. I’m not sure M:I is a great barometer - the gaps between those specific films are, 4 yrs, 6yrs, 5yrs, 4yrs, 3yrs. I don’t see them squeezing the schedules down to two years other than potentially capitalising on a debut. Three years seems like a solid and fair turnaround, but of course there are always mitigating factors.

It’s my opinion that the model going forward should be hiring a distinctive director (such as Boyle) and it’s one and gone. The focus is on delivering a one-off. Repeat. That way you keep it fresh and interesting and can go where you like. Two years to turn that around doesn’t seem viable in this oversaturated market.

Bond can act as an antidote to the proliferation of the vast interconnected narratives of Lucasfilm and Marvel.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Under the current situation @TripAces, I highly doubt there will ever come a time of Bond oversaturation, unless Disney totally buy it out and we have The Monneypenny Diaries, Felix Leiter's Lighting the Fuse, or Oddjob: The Early Years in rapid-fire succession. There was a time, and I remember it well, when a Bond movie came out every 2 years. It was bliss!!
    I am so uninterested in Bond spinoffs. The only one I might like is Felix Leiter, but I watch Bond FOR Bond himself most of all.
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2018 Posts: 10,512
    Under the current situation @TripAces, I highly doubt there will ever come a time of Bond oversaturation, unless Disney totally buy it out and we have The Monneypenny Diaries, Felix Leiter's Lighting the Fuse, or Oddjob: The Early Years in rapid-fire succession. There was a time, and I remember it well, when a Bond movie came out every 2 years. It was bliss!!

I don’t think the issue is ‘Bond over saturation’, the issue is, how and where Bond slots into an oversaturated market.

Back in the day Bond was one of the few big brands, today that’s not the case. Finding an audience is much, much tougher.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Surprised mi6 hasn't posted yet the announcement
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I'm just going on the provided CNN article link @RC7 that talks about Star Wars fatigue and Disney's commitment to its expansive universes with Marvel. Bond will never be part of that, certainly currently. I think we're talking at cross purposes. You appear to be referring to the already overcrowded market and timing the release date of a future Bond movie to find its target audience, which I think is a separate issue to Bond oversaturation. I happen to agree with you on this matter as the release of LTK demonstrated this in the past.

Of course, the counter argument is that by delaying your brand or product so that your product is the best it can possibly be doesn't necessarily work either. Ironically, both Hodge and Boyle have been given very little time to both write the story and get it into production, which kind of negates the whole extended gap exercise, especially if it's still going to be a bollock-ball-scramble scenario.
    This is the level I don't want Bond to reach:

http://www.slashfilm.com/solo-prequel-comic-tobias-beckett/

A comic book prequel to Solo, which is already a prequel to the original trilogy. Oof.
    Don’t think we ever have to worry about Bond reaching that level.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,126
    looks like bond 25 to be digital not film unlike spectre according to imdb and in 35mm
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Surprised mi6 hasn't posted yet the announcement

me too
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Its a transition film, and we really should have seen this coming. EON are so goddamned sneaky, they're at it again!

DAF cranks up the camp factor, as preparation for a more comedic take after Connery.

AVTAK notches up the violence and edge in advance of Timmy's gruesome twosome.

DAD plants the seed of a broken Bond before Craig takes the idea and runs with it.

As we know, the pendulum swings from one side to the other. So who does one inject the kinetic, snappy Bond whilst maintaining the "have something to say" ethos of the Craig era. Danny Boyle is the perfect man for the job, on paper at least.

Such an obvious fit we really should have seen it coming.

I'm really looking forward to what comes next after Craig, and the next dawn of Bond when things will be truly fresh, breaking the seal on a new era etc... But they are being very art about how they freshen things up here, to get the best out of what's left of Craig's time in the role.
    Good points and I agree. I think it will be a transition film as well. I too am looking forward to where that leads us. I'm sure there will be clues, but perhaps they will only be apparent with hindsight.
    At the rate these are churned out, there's no way he's sticking around to do a sixth. I doubt the difference between "fifth" and "last" in an article is a hint that he'll do a sixth installment.
    I hope he chooses to spend quality time with his child and leave Bond for someone new, even if Babs begs him to return one more time.
    I'm with you. There is no evidence that the market cannot handle a Bond film every two years. The last time they tried it for QoS the film blasted out of the gates at the box office in most markets. In the end it did almost as well as CR. It just wasn't a product that the market liked as much as what preceded it. There were a number of reasons for that, but the 2 year release schedule wasn't one of them.

James Bond is quite a unique entity and always has been. Most of the other spy entries (save perhaps for MI) don't directly compete with it. This is quite different from the superhero genre, where both DC and Marvel churn out multiple films per year.

If someone went back and checked the overall profitability of these films over a 2 or 3/4 year period, they may find that a more regular release schedule results in better (or at least more consistent) financial results overall. As an example, MGM probably did very well over the 2006-2008 period on account of CR/QoS, even though neither was as big a hit globally as SF.

Apart from the long wait between SF and SP there have been other factors for them taking a while to get these out. Once a new man is installed in the lead chair perhaps they will decide to entertain a more rapid release schedule. It will be dependent on MGM (or whoever owns it by the time B26/B27 is being formulated) too of course.