Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Nick Hendrix, but he looks decent enough, although lacking in the cruelty angle. If he can raise an eyebrow, I may be open to him.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/17/midsomer-murders-nick-hendrix-throws-name-ring-replace-daniel-craig-james-bond-7554683/

Right age, unknown enough. Not sure at all about his face on the pics.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,308
    00Agent wrote: »
    Here is a scene from his leaked audition tape :))

"Oh Moneypenny, you look lovely today"
    2822014.main_image.jpg?strip=all
    Isn t that Spirou/Sprint?

You're right! Looks just like him!

3_ooiQN.jpg
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think he's got a too friendly face for Bond.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,661
    bondsum wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    Based on the MI Fallout trailer, I'm wondering if MI is Henry Cavill's Bond audition so to speak.
    Let's not forget he almost landed the role for CR, but was deemed too young. Having got a list of well known films behind him, and looking bulked up and potentially Bondian, I wouldn't think its too far to imagine that he's on EON's radar.
    In the past actors that have missed the role have reappeared to win it later down the track. Pierce Brosnan and Dalton for example.
    He's also still young enough to credibly take on the role, and is a name that people know with a track record in popular movies. (And not just a TV star)
    I'd put money on him being on a shortlist. ;)

Hope not, he's a plank. No charisma, just look at TMFU, deadpan or just dead?
    I'm not sure how much of Cavill playing it deadpan and very unlike Bond was down to Guy Richie. After all, he didn't want UNCLE to look or sound anything like a Bond movie, which he stated in various interviews at the time. He was going for something different. The main problem I found with Cavill's Solo was his faux-American accent—initially because I knew he was British and was putting it on. For the record, I don't blame any of the actors for TMFU, I blame the script and the lousy direction.

No it shouldn't have been like a Bond movie. It should have been like a Man From Uncle movie, but wasn't! Wasted, wasted opportunity.
    I agree, I didn't like the movie at all, but I blame Guy Richie for changing too much of what made the TV show work. There's some here that really liked the movie, so it does have its fans.
    I don't know anything about Nick Hendrix, but he looks decent enough, although lacking in the cruelty angle. If he can raise an eyebrow, I may be open to him.
    Nah. He looks like a younger version of Tom Hanks viewed through a prism... and his voice is too light.

After all this Cavill bashing and me playing devil's advocate, I've actually come around to being in Cavill's corner now. At least Cavill does his own stunts. Apparently it even surprised Tom Cruise that he was willing to do so many of them in MI: Fallout. I think Cavill's the real deal.

Timothy Dalton's first week as Bond had him clinging to the side of a jeep, racing down Gibraltar! And Daniel Craig's first week as Bond had him doing the shooting things up stuff from the opening CR chase sequence! Doing some of the stunts is part of the Bond role.

As for Henry Cavill - hmm... imho the jury is out on his acting ability. It's hard to imagine Cavill playing two secret agents - UNCLE and Mission Impossible and getting a THIRD spy role - but you never know. Seems doubtful. I reckon EON will look elsewhere. Cavill is this decade's Clive Owen - close but no Bond cigar? Probably.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Based on the MI Fallout trailer, I'm wondering if MI is Henry Cavill's Bond audition so to speak.
    Let's not forget he almost landed the role for CR, but was deemed too young. Having got a list of well known films behind him, and looking bulked up and potentially Bondian, I wouldn't think its too far to imagine that he's on EON's radar.
    In the past actors that have missed the role have reappeared to win it later down the track. Pierce Brosnan and Dalton for example.
    He's also still young enough to credibly take on the role, and is a name that people know with a track record in popular movies. (And not just a TV star)

I'm not sure how much of Cavill playing it deadpan and very unlike Bond was down to Guy Richie. After all, he didn't want UNCLE to look or sound anything like a Bond movie, which he stated in various interviews at the time. He was going for something different. The main problem I found with Cavill's Solo was his faux-American accent—initially because I knew he was British and was putting it on. For the record, I don't blame any of the actors for TMFU, I blame the script and the lousy direction.

No it shouldn't have been like a Bond movie. It should have been like a Man From Uncle movie, but wasn't! Wasted, wasted opportunity.
    I agree, I didn't like the movie at all, but I blame Guy Richie for changing too much of what made the TV show work. There's some here that really liked the movie, so it does have its fans.
    Nah. He looks like a younger version of Tom Hanks viewed through a prism... and his voice is too light.

After all this Cavill bashing and me playing devil's advocate, I've actually come around to being in Cavill's corner now. At least Cavill does his own stunts. Apparently it even surprised Tom Cruise that he was willing to do so many of them in MI: Fallout. I think Cavill's the real deal.

As for Henry Cavill - hmm... imho the jury is out on his acting ability. It's hard to imagine Cavill playing two secret agents - UNCLE and Mission Impossible and getting a THIRD spy role - but you never know. Seems doubtful. I reckon EON will look elsewhere. Cavill is this decade's Clive Owen - close but no Bond cigar.

I agree, i can't see it happening at this point, but the movie industry is constantly changing so who knows. And don't forget, Napoleon Solo was co created by Ian Fleming, so he is already playing a Fleming creation. If you get 2, you must be the luckiest actor in History.

Timothy Dalton's first week as Bond had him clinging to the side of a jeep, racing down Gibraltar! And Daniel Craig's first week as Bond had him doing the shooting things up stuff from the opening CR chase sequence! Doing some of the stunts is part of the Bond role.

As for Henry Cavill - hmm... imho the jury is out on his acting ability. It's hard to imagine Cavill playing two secret agents - UNCLE and Mission Impossible and getting a THIRD spy role - but you never know. Seems doubtful. I reckon EON will look elsewhere. Cavill is this decade's Clive Owen - close but no Bond cigar? Probably.

I never saw Clive Owen as that close to begin with.
    Ludovico wrote: »

He was very heavily linked several times,but mainly by the tabloids.

• edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333

Well, fanboy, you ain't telling this old fanboy anything he doesn't know already. But to compare the clinging to the side of a jeep to a halo jump and the helicopter scenes in Fallout is perhaps overreaching it a bit. As Gary Powell once said of the Connery Bonds, "Unless you see his face, it's a stunt double." He should know: it was usually his father or his uncle doubling for Connery, just as his elder brother doubled for Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton, and Powell himself did for Pierce Brosnan. Daniel Craig is a very different proposition because he's been allowed to do them and because he's capable of doing them, but he didn't do the really dangerous stuff in CR. Of course, I'd say that Craig's been the exception. You make it sound like it's a prerequisite that every actor that plays Bond has to do his own stunts, which is of course daft and totally untrue. One thing we do know is that Tom Cruise does do "all his own stunts" and that's a huge. huge selling point of these movies and why people queue up to see them as apposed to someone who only does "some of the stunts".

Anyway, I was merely pointing out that Cavill also does his own breathtaking stunts in Fallout and it would indeed be a very good selling point if a future Bond movie had someone like Cavill on-board, especially if they want to compete with the likes of Cruise's superior MI movies. That's all. And until they cast the next 007, you can't say that "Cavill is this decade's Clive Owen - close but no Bond cigar" and expect to have credibility. We don't know who is going to be the next Bond yet.
    barryt007 wrote: »

I never understood the appeal of Owen.

I think Owen is a decent actor if given the right roles. He was perfect in The International, for example. One of my favourite films of the past decade.

But that's a very different role compared to Bond.

I think Owen is a decent actor if given the right roles. He was perfect in The International, for example. One of my favourite films of the past decade.

He can be very good but he never struck me as Bond material.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,308

If Bond was like SF Bond in every film, then I think Owen would fit like a glove:
    Snapz-Pro-XScreenSnapz0013.jpg
    009ITL_Clive_Owen_018.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

If Bond was like SF Bond in every film, then I think Owen would fit like a glove:
    Snapz-Pro-XScreenSnapz0013.jpg
    009ITL_Clive_Owen_018.jpg
    I've always liked Owen, since I first saw him in Croupier. I then sought out an early 90s UK series which he did (Chancer) and quite enjoyed that too. He can be impressive in the right roles, like Inside Man for instance.

I agree on The International as well. That's really a brilliant and atmospheric Euro thriller & he gives an intense performance.

I think he could have made a decent James Bond, but believe he was best suited to the 1990s. I think by 2005 he may have already been well past his peak.
    I always thought he looked like a boxer who had too many fights.
    To a degree I think that's true. Hence my remark that he could have been a good choice for the 90's when he still had a youthful freshness to him.

I am not too keen on aging looking Bond actors in general.

Like Bond in SF? :D
    Completely get your point though. And as @bondjames writes above; he'd probably been a better fit in the late 90's, for example.
  • Clive Owen is such a bad actor.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Clive Owen is such a bad actor.

I agree... The guy, at the best of times, is a bore.... It's like he shoots scenes after taking a buncha contraband quaaludes from the 70s.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I hate to say it, I don’t personally hate him but his face kinda pisses me off.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm not an Owen fan either. I couldn't understand anything he said in Sin City.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Owen lacks charisma and conveys no real depth, layers or any sort of commendable range. That being saud he's not a horrible actor, he's just offensively boring.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Owen lacks charisma and conveys no real depth, layers or any sort of commendable range. That being saud he's not a horrible actor, he's just offensively boring.

This. Which is a shame, as he has a good face.
    I think mentioning Clive Owen is rather a moot point because he was never screen-tested for the role or part of the selection process. We know the ones who were and who were the final two candidates: Craig and Cavill. So it's not unreasonable to ponder the possibility that Cavill, like Moore, Dalton and Brosnan before him, could be the next 007 after missing out or declining the role earlier. It's by no means guaranteed, but who honestly knows what the current way of thinking is in casting leading actors in a new franchise? We've currently got Chris Hemsworth and Liam Neeson now headlining The Men in Black spin-off with Hemsworth's Thor: Ragnarok co-star Tessa Thompson taking the "woman in black" role to add to the growing list of actors now swapping franchises. A casting decision so close on the heels of Thor: Ragnarok I might add!! It's clearly evident that modern movie producers no longer see that casting an actor from another successful franchise as an obstacle anymore. You might not agree with it, but if the BO takings are good then that's all the matters to them at the end of the day. It all depends on whether Eon want to limit themselves to the slim pickings available to them or go with someone that at least looks and feels like he should be the next Bond. I'm sure there will be plenty of names flying about after B25 that get the casting call. Some will be screen-tested. Some will be hyped by the media as the next Bond. But we won't know their final decision until it's either leaked by the actor himself (unlikely) or announced by Eon. Yeah, I know, I'm stating the bleeding obvious here. I have no idea how many more years Cavill is contracted and wants to be in these Superman movies for? He might be willing to call it a day if he's the next 007. But if he isn't cast, it won't be because he once played Superman is my hypothesis.
    I believe he has only one more film left as Superman @bondsum ,he originally signed up for 4 films.

As for Owen,he was very good in his latest film 'Anon' which I saw last week.

Like Bond in SF? :D
    Completely get your point though. And as @bondjames writes above; he'd probably been a better fit in the late 90's, for example.

I actually think Craig in SF looked better than Owen. I haven't seen him in movies from the 90s but he always looked like a boxer who had too many fights and too many drinks.
    I believe he has only one more film left as Superman @bondsum ,he originally signed up for 4 films.

As for Owen,he was very good in his latest film 'Anon' which I saw last week.
    Interesting. Thanks @barryt007 for that. I think due to his rising popularity outside of Superman (which I think the next MI movie will play a huge part in), he'll be looking to ditch the spandex and get out of these financially successful but poorly received DC capers for which Zack Snyder is most responsible for, not so much the actors that appear in them.

I tried watching Anon but I found it a bit boring to be honest. I get what people say about Clive Owen, he does sound rather too languid in every movie. I loved him in Inside Man though. It's a shame Spike Lee's long-gestating “Inside Man 2″ fell apart. I'd like to have seen that.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I tried watching Anon but I found it a bit boring to be honest. I get what people say about Clive Owen, he does sound rather too languid in every movie. I loved him in Inside Man though. It's a shame Spike Lee's long-gestating “Inside Man 2″ fell apart. I'd like to have seen that.
    Coincidentally, I watched Anon last night. I found it a bit dull as well but Owen was decent enough in it.

I had no idea there were once plans for an Inside Man sequel @bondsum. Pity that never came together. The original is excellent (great cast firing on all cylinders and an interesting premise. The Clive/Denzel exchange is a highlight, as is anything with Jodie Foster or Christopher Plummer).

Owen was in a light romance comedy caper a few years back with Julia Roberts entitled Duplicity. I recall enjoying that too.
    Clive Owen could make a good Bennie Griessel if he can do a convincing South African accent.

Talking of South Africa any actor from there could play Bond? As member of the Commonwealth (if I am not mistaken) they can technically have a shot.
    I had no idea there were once plans for an Inside Man sequel @bondsum. Pity that never came together. The original is excellent (great cast firing on all cylinders and an interesting premise. The Clive/Denzel exchange is a highlight, as is anything with Jodie Foster or Christopher Plummer).

Owen was in a light romance comedy caper a few years back with Julia Roberts entitled Duplicity. I recall enjoying that too.
    Another great role that I thought Owen was excellent in and stole the movie right from under his big A-list co-stars' noses was Closer (2004). The self-assured cockiness that he played the dermatologist character was how I would've liked to have seen Owen approach playing his Bond.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883

Another great role that I thought Owen was excellent in and stole the movie right from under his big A-list co-stars' noses was Closer (2004). The self-assured cockiness that he played the dermatologist character was how I would've liked to have seen Owen approach playing his Bond.
    That's right, I completely forgot about that one. Excellent point. He was very smooth in that one, especially in his scenes with Roberts, who was also good.