Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That's a more flattering photo of him than the ones I've seen elsewhere recently. There is potential, but the curls will have to go imho, lest he receive accusations of looking too foreign.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    That's a more flattering photo of him than the ones I've seen elsewhere recently. There is potential, but the curls will have to go imho, lest he receive accusations of looking too foreign.

I agree, and that's not a problem. They can style it however.

I think being a bit more exotic looking might actually help his chances, given the heated discussions about minorities in leading roles lately.
    Yeah, I agree with you guys. Out of the lesser known actors, Aidan Turner is still the best one I've seen so far. At least he's 6 feet tall.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well Fleming himself described Bond as a bit 'foreign' looking, but Aidan to me just looks too friendly.
    Well Fleming himself described Bond as a bit 'foreign' looking, but Aidan to me just looks too friendly.

bea721_4b5c7fa705df494f936778e71eaef0af.webp
    Whats wrong with the looks? There is not much I like about him, the locks seem the best asset.
    They need to be straightened to look like Bond. How his hair looked in the "And Then There Were None" adaptation shows that this can be overcome.
    With his best asset gone, what will be left? Not much in my book. He was the nicest dwarf though. But then, in that film, not many manly assets were on display. Just Orlando meh Bloom. Did he have any offers aside from Pollack in the intern. film biz? And I really don't know.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    bondsum wrote: »

That doesn't look mean, I'm afraid. More petulant.
    peter wrote: »

Or constipated!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

Or constipated!

Yes. Much more accurate!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 13,090
    From Moonraker.
    Bond knew that there was something alien and un-English about himself. He knew that he was a difficult man to cover up. Particularly in England. He shrugged his shoulders. Abroad was what mattered. He would never have a job to do in England. Outside the jurisdiction of the Service. Anyway, he didn't need a cover this evening. This was recreation.
    And there's something to be said about casting against type, "nice guy" plays tough guy.
    In a way it's the perfect fit.
  • RC7RC7
    Still don’t see Turner as Bond, myself. He’s very Milk Tray boy. I could be convinced, as I could with a lot of potentials, but I’ve yet to see anything in which he sells it to me. There’s a lot of talk about And Then There Were None, but for me it was largely visual. In terms of presence and charisma, Bond alum, Toby Stephens, made him look average Imo.
    Only seen Turner in And Then There Were None, which was a decent performance. Then again, Agatha Christie adaptations are always rather stagy, so it doesn't really tell much of his acting abilities.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Still don’t see Turner as Bond, myself. He’s very Milk Tray boy. I could be convinced, as I could with a lot of potentials, but I’ve yet to see anything in which he sells it to me. There’s a lot of talk about And Then There Were None, but for me it was largely visual. In terms of presence and charisma, Bond alum, Toby Stephens, made him look average Imo.

Toby Stephens as he looks now (or looked in ATTWN) would have made a perfect Hugo Drax, with minimal make up. He looked far more like a proper Bond villain than in DAD.
    Only seen Turner in And Then There Were None, which was a decent performance. Then again, Agatha Christie adaptations are always rather stagy, so it doesn't really tell much of his acting abilities.

He was adequate but only played an English stereotype.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,316
    Ludovico wrote: »

I found most of the characters a bit stereotype-like, actually.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,127

That's standard for Christie. Plot was more her forte.

That's standard for Christie.

Indeed. Not the worst adaptation I've seen, though. Enjoyed it.
  • RC7RC7

Toby Stephens as he looks now (or looked in ATTWN) would have made a perfect Hugo Drax, with minimal make up. He looked far more like a proper Bond villain than in DAD.

Good shout, I can absolutely see him as Drax.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Stephens is very Drax-like in that adaptation, yes. Over the years, he proved to be an outstanding actor. Although, Gustav Graves was heavily influenced by Drax as well. From his background to anger issues and beyond...

Good shout, I can absolutely see him as Drax.

I can't believe I wrote this as I hate Stephens in DAD. Too youthful, too petulant, he came off as cringeworthy and unthreatening.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Aidan Turner is brilliant as Ross Poldark but I highly doubt he will bring that type of performance if casted as bond
    Aidan Turner is brilliant as Ross Poldark but I highly doubt he will bring that type of performance if casted as bond

I agree, he would be much lighter as Bond, and cheekier.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I agree, he would be much lighter as Bond, and cheekier.
    Long overdue in my opinion, so if that's what he has, then bring it and quickly.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    [img][/img]
    Yeah, I agree with you guys. Out of the lesser known actors, Aidan Turner is still the best one I've seen so far. At least he's 6 feet tall.

According to IMDB he's only an inch taller than Craig at 5'11"

I'd prefer Henry Cavill over Turner. I would bet EON will want an actor with international appeal.
    Turner simply doesn't have that.
    I still need to catch AND THEN THERE WERE NONE. Based on the photos, though Aidan looks great, IMO.
    Cavill, however, I'm still not sold on as Superman, so it may take some persuading for me to accept him as a Bond. Then again I'm holding him to the standards of Christopher Reeve and George Reeves.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Re: Turner: I think he may've had his chance, but I could be wrong. Personally I find him likeable enough when I see him chat in interviews (but still, perhaps trying too hard to be the "nice guy"); as an actor i find him diminutive. Looks-wise: sometimes his forehead to upper lip seems long; his upper lip to chin too small--

--- which, to me, signifies a weak chin...-- not Bond material.

I know ppl who have worked with Cavill and, to this day, call him a friend (and he does keep them updated).

But, their assessment of the bloke is this: an amazing guy, very genuine, but; dumb as a block and poor actor.

Take that as you will.

My personal opinion is: holy s**t he's got an amazing/freakish body structure-- scary huge. Watching him, I shrug and think he's inoffensive.
    He is just THERE but makes no impact. Even Turner would be better and he is not a good choice in my book.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Germanlady wrote: »
    He is just THERE but makes no impact. Even Turner would be better and he is not a good choice in my book.

Agreed. I really like Cavill ‘s look and athleticism. However, I’d choose him over Turner.

Saying that, this feels like scraping the bottom of the barrel. Surely when the time comes there will (hopefully), be better candidates to be 007, than these two.