Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Ludovico wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Still don’t see Turner as Bond, myself. He’s very Milk Tray boy. I could be convinced, as I could with a lot of potentials, but I’ve yet to see anything in which he sells it to me. There’s a lot of talk about And Then There Were None, but for me it was largely visual. In terms of presence and charisma, Bond alum, Toby Stephens, made him look average Imo.

Toby Stephens as he looks now (or looked in ATTWN) would have made a perfect Hugo Drax, with minimal make up. He looked far more like a proper Bond villain than in DAD.
    Only seen Turner in And Then There Were None, which was a decent performance. Then again, Agatha Christie adaptations are always rather stagy, so it doesn't really tell much of his acting abilities.

He was adequate but only played an English stereotype.

Good shout, I can absolutely see him as Drax.

I can't believe I wrote this as I hate Stephens in DAD. Too youthful, too petulant, he came off as cringeworthy and unthreatening.

I agree he wasn't very threatening bad guy but I think it was the character that was the problem rather than him. Moon was a petulant kid wasn't he, lashing out at his dad, and wrapped up in a smug Bond impression as Graves. I'm not a massive fan of the character but I think Stephens actually played it very well, and he does have a few entertaining pantomime villain moments ("oh look, parachutes for both of us, whoops!").

I always thought after seeing him as Graves that he would have been too posh and poncey to play Bond. But then I saw more of him as an actor and realised that's just how the character was. After seeing him as a tough pirate captain in Black Sails and listening to him as Bond in the audio plays I think Stephens could have actually been a great choice a few years ago.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Benny wrote: »
    [img][/img]
    bondsum wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree with you guys. Out of the lesser known actors, Aidan Turner is still the best one I've seen so far. At least he's 6 feet tall.

According to IMDB he's only an inch taller than Craig at 5'11"

I'd prefer Henry Cavill over Turner. I would bet EON will want an actor with international appeal.
    Turner simply doesn't have that.
    Yes, IMDb has him at 5' 11" (1.8 m) and Google has him as 1.83 m, which is of course 6 foot. Not sure which one is right? Either way, he's taller than Craig which is a step up. This might rile a few Craig fans but what international appeal did Craig have before Bond? If we were to go off his one major lead role in Layer Cake (2004) it wasn't what one would call a huge international hit, especially with only a limited US release. His other movies of note: Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Road to Perdition and Munich he wasn't the lead actor nor the main draw for those movies. To all intents and purposes, Bond made Craig an international name. However, I do agree that Cavill is the safer bet going forward.
    peter wrote: »
    But, their assessment of the bloke is this: an amazing guy, very genuine, but; dumb as a block and poor actor.
    Sounds like Cavill needs to be more choosy about whom he associates with if this is an example of the backbite and workplace gossip he receives from those that know him. I'm not sure I'd agree that Cavill is a poor actor. Daisy Ridley, now that's a poor actor (or actress if you prefer). Her delivery is so stiff and unconvincing it's as if she were reading it from an autocue. Cavill certainly isn't that bad. Not once have I thought: That was a poor delivery. Bring on Daniel Day-Lewis to show him how it should be done.

Also, I'm not sure that one needs to be a "great actor" to be Bond. An accomplished actor is enough. Dalton was said to be a very good actor but there's a lot of Bond fans (and critics alike) that think he was guilty of too much scenery-chewing. Of course, I expect a certain crowd to declare that Craig has now changed all of that and that the bar has now been raised. Yes, perhaps, but only if the producers want to continue down the "emo route" with deep sensitivity playing a key role in Bond's personal make-up. Connery, too, set the bar incredibly high but that didn't stop the producers altering course and going with un-Connery type actors to play 007 afterwards. The same will no doubt happen after Craig has gone. To have a Craig-clone could prove a terrible mistake as audiences might be wanting something different by then.
    I know it was mainly due to the character being very poorly written. But I also think he lacked maturity for a Bond villain. If tomorrow morning they want to make an adaptation of MR he'd make a perfect Hugo Drax.
    Also, I'm not sure that one needs to be a "great actor" to be Bond.
    Yes, it's not necessary.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Also, I'm not sure that one needs to be a "great actor" to be Bond.
    Yes, it's not necessary.
    Agreed.

I've mentioned this before, but in my opinion 'screen Bond' is about presence, self confidence, swagger, voice projection, authority and authenticity. In other words, comfort in one's own skin.

Most of the time the actor is in the scene, and so he must command it. Dominate it. That, to a large degree, cannot be acted. One either has it, or one doesn't.

Now, it's possible to create scripts that accommodate 'actors' and give them something to delve into. In this instance, they rise to the occasion and become interesting and fascinating to watch as they practice their craft. Such was the case with Craig in CR. The script was excellent and there were plenty of moments for him to do his thing. Since then the opportunities have been more limited.

None of this is required however. It's a matter of what direction they want to take going forward. That will determine who they cast. If history is any indication, they will go for an entirely different sort post-Craig. Particularly given his run has been so long and of a certain flavour.
    Yes, I was surprised at just how truly awful Toby Stephens was in DAD: Sneering, petulant, and hammy. Anybody associated with that movie by default should never have been allowed to work on a Bond picture ever again IMO.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've mentioned this before, but in my opinion 'screen Bond' is about presence, self confidence, swagger, voice projection, authority and authenticity. In other words, comfort in one's own skin.
    I agree with your opinion. I also agree with everything else you wrote, too. The next Bond doesn't need to be an "act-hor" in the luvie sense of the word. He needs to be able to exude enough rugged, masculine vigour to look and sound convincing. It's a combination thing. Put it this way, I don't want the next Bond to be cast simply because he's considered a "good actor" but lacks the right look, height and is about as masculine as Jude Law on a good day.
    I agree with your opinion. I also agree with everything else you wrote, too. The next Bond doesn't need to be an "act-hor" in the luvie sense of the word. He needs to be able to exude enough rugged, masculine vigour to look and sound convincing. It's a combination thing. Put it this way, I don't want the next Bond to be cast simply because he's considered a "good actor" but lacks the right look, height and is about as masculine as Jude Law on a good day.
    I agree. Further variations from the physical template would be ill advised imho. I can hear the calls for it already, but it won't be for me.
    I agree. Further variations from the physical template would be ill advised imho. I can hear the calls for it already, but it won't be for me.
    Yes, worse rumour I've heard so far was Jamie Bell as the next 007. Seriously, this man-boy is even worse than that other man-boy James Norton.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond needs to be an alpha male. How many of these suggestions fit that description?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

+1 I always said that casting Bond is only partly about acting ability. It is much more important to find someone with a natural coolness. Someone that has a certain style and confidence about him, that makes you immediately look up to him.
    You cannot 'act' that if you don't have it. No matter how hard you try. And then it will only looked forced. I think Lazenby taught us that lesson decades ago. Dude was selected out of hundreds of 'actors' for a reason with not one day of acting experience himself.
    I agree @00Agent, including your assessment of Lazenby.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well I think the type of person Lazenby was is very, very hard to come by these days. Those people just don't end up in film business anymore.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Well I think the type of person Lazenby was is very, very hard to come by these days. Those people just don't end up in film business anymore.

Yes that is a big Problem.
    The film industry has completely changed. Back in the golden age they were looking for characters, good looking guys with the it-factor.
    The concept of 'acting' was fairly new anyway. Now you have hundreds of Drama schools all over the world where anybody can get a degree in acting. Which is all that matters nowadays.

That is one of the reasons why I was very positively suprised when I learned that Aidan Turner started acting very late. He never cared for that career in the begining, only gave it a shot more or less by accident. And he has reached a certain Level of success which shows that he is a natural.
    I know some of you guys are so/so on him, but i did some Research on him and so far he is my favorite choice.

I think he has the right attitude for the job.
    It's debatable whether or not Lazenby had the it-factor. And what matters to get a role is audition more than the diploma one had.
    It's debatable whether or not Lazenby had the it-factor. And what matters to get a role is audition more than the diploma one had.

Yes, i guess in the end the audition will matter the most. All we can do is try to predict who would do good in it or who would even be considered for it at all.

But on the topic of audition, keep in mind that they are still doing basically the same couple scenes that they always did, the one from FRWL and some action stuff. Its a fairly simple process. Again i think they are just looking for the right attitude, presence.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,295
    00Agent wrote: »

Yes, i guess in the end the audition will matter the most. All we can do is try to predict who would do good in it or who would even be considered for it at all.

But on the topic of audition, keep in mind that they are still doing basically the same couple scenes that they always did, the one from FRWL and some action stuff. Its a fairly simple process. Again i think they are just looking for the right attitude, presence.

It's really a good scene to base an audition around. It's a scene that showed the charisma of Connery very well, and one that probably reveals the "Bond charisma" an actor is capable of bringing to the role - or not.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    It's refreshing to read your posts @00Agent. I share your enthusiasm for Turner as well. He has an air of Dalton about him, but without the urge to chew the scenery. I think he also gives a very commanding performance as Poldark. There's a natural masculine authority that he possesses which is evident in his voice and mannerisms, which as you quite rightly point out: shows that he is a natural. We saw a different side of his natural machismo in And Then There Were None.

I know The Hobbit keeps on being brought up by some here as some sort of minus but let's not forget that Sean Connery also appeared in Darby O'Gill and the Little People before becoming James Bond. A film that was released as a double feature with a Donald Duck cartoon called Donald in Mathmagic Land, but no one held that against him. I'm sure had people wanted to make disparaging remarks about the suitability of Connery for the role then there was plenty of lousy movies he'd appeared in before Bond that could've been used as a minus as well, including On the Fiddle.

I'll bet that the seduction scene is the one that is most difficult to nail.
    It's refreshing to read your posts @00Agent. I share your enthusiasm for Turner as well. He has an air of Dalton about him, but without the urge to chew the scenery. I think he also gives a very commanding performance as Poldark. There's a natural masculine authority that he possesses which is evident in his voice and mannerisms, which as you quite rightly point out: shows that he is a natural. We saw a different side of his natural machismo in And Then There Were None.

I know The Hobbit keeps on being brought up by some here as some sort of minus but let's not forget that Sean Connery also appeared in Darby O'Gill and the Little People before becoming James Bond. A film that was released as a double feature with a Donald Duck cartoon called Donald in Mathmagic Land, but no one held that against him. I'm sure had people wanted to make disparaging remarks about the suitability of Connery for the role then there was plenty of lousy movies he'd appeared in before Bond that could've been used as a minus as well, including On the Fiddle.

Thats exactly where i was hooked on him as well. I have only Seen a couple episodes though. Haven't gotten the whole season yet. Maybe i should.

Also i loved his extremely calm and cool demeanor in Then there were none. I love the whole series but for me he steals the show.

I think he has what it takes for the job.
    And he seems the least needy for the role atm, which is a smart move. Thats the last thing you should come across as.
    Look at poor Craig, they had to convince him a full year lol

Exactly, and I think that, again, either you have it or you don't. No amount of acting technique will save your ass in that scene. You have to be a natural. It's what matters most.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I recall a scene in And Then There Were None on a train with Turner. I think it may have been his intro scene. Where he's checking out the girl. He was very good in that. Gives off a natural smoothness with an edge. A bit of a rascal. My only concern with him is whether he can appear likeable enough. There was a hint of nastiness in him and one must always root for Bond. I admit I've only got that series to go on, which is not much.

Regarding the famous FRWL scene: it never ceases to impress me. Both Connery and Bianchi are absolutely superb in it. One of the best.

Thats exactly where i was hooked on him as well. I have only Seen a couple episodes though. Haven't gotten the whole season yet. Maybe i should.

Also i loved his extremely calm and cool demeanor in Then there were none. I love the whole series but for me he steals the show.

And he seems the least needy for the role atm, which is a smart move. Thats the last thing you should come across as.

Exactly, and I think that, again, either you have it or you don't. No amount of acting technique will save your ass in that scene. You have to be a natural. It's what matters most.

Maybe even a Turner would be unwilling after a gruelling, pain intensive production. You forget, if you glamour up your favourites, what they would be after 10 year plus. Of course now, they are after the fame, the money (which DC was not from the beginning) but let them have four of those monsters behind them and ask again. Just saying.
    I recall a scene in And Then There Were None on a train with Turner. I think it may have been his intro scene. Where he's checking out the girl. He was very good in that. Gives off a natural smoothness with an edge. A bit of a rascal. My only concern with him is whether he can appear likeable enough. There was a hint of nastiness in him and one must always root for Bond. I admit I've only got that series to go on, which is not much.

Regarding the famous FRWL scene: it never ceases to impress me. Both Connery and Bianchi are absolutely superb in it. One of the best.

This scene wasn't it - on the train?

cd2a09832c128868e15926b7289d5df0.gif

I think he was written that way in None, his character was more of a likeable villain really.

In my opinion, Bond should always have a little bit of an unlikeable or 'edgy' quality about him. You root for him of course, but there is always an Element of questionable morals about him.

Like the exchange in CR,
    "doesn't it bother you killing all those people?"
    "I wouldn't be very good at my job if it did"

There is also a genius conversation that Turner has in ATTWN with a girl that went something like this (from what i remember):
    "did you really kill all those people?"
    "yes"
    "but why?!"
    "I don't know it seemd like a good idea at that time"

Always has me cracking up lol.

For that reason alone i do not want a bland pretty Boy in the role. I want someone who can make me believe that he has seen and done some very questionable things in his life.
    Which is only natural in his profession.
    Germanlady wrote: »

Maybe even a Turner would be unwilling after a gruelling, pain intensive production. You forget, if you glamour up your favourites, what they would be after 10 year plus. Of course now, they are after the fame, the money (which DC was not from the beginning) but let them have four of those monsters behind them and ask again. Just saying.

Wait, you make it Sound like I was trashing Craig. I was not. I have nothing but respect for the guy, and he is close to becoming my favorite Bond actor.
    Whatever the motivations for an actor are, to take on Bond, is purely up to them and none of my Business until they decide to Talk about it openly.
    I just said that Turner plays it very close to the chest, instead of like a dog chasing a frisbee everytime someone mentions the role to him. Others do just that.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883

Yes, that's the one. He was quite good there.

I think he was written that way in None, his character was more of a likeable villain really.
    In that case it's ok then.
    In my opinion, Bond should always have a little bit of an unlikeable or 'edgy' quality about him. You root for him of course, but there is always an Element of questionable morals about him.

Like the exchange in CR,
    "doesn't it bother you killing all those people?"
    "I wouldn't be very good at my job if it did"

There is also a genius conversation that Turner has in ATTWN with a girl that went something like this (from what i remember):
    "did you really kill all those people?"
    "yes"
    "but why?!"
    "I don't know it seemd like a good idea at that time"

Always has me cracking up lol.

For that reason alone i do not want a bland pretty Boy in the role. I want someone who can make me believe that he has seen and done some very questionable things in his life.
    Which is only natural in his profession.
    I agree on your point that Bond must have a slightly unlikeable and edgy quality to him. I think it's essential that he's a bit of a rogue. However it mustn't descend into nastiness, and that's a fine line. As an example, I personally think Craig crossed that line several times in SP. By the end of it I couldn't care less if he lived or died, lost or won. He just came across as a prick, first in M's office, then at the health club where he snarled at Ms. Swann and elsewhere.

At the end of the day, the actor must still appear sympathetic while playing Bond for who he is.
    I was just answering to your remark about chasing him to do it one more time.
    As for Turner - its certainly wise to not appear too desperate.
    I was just answering to your remark about chasing him to do it one more time.
    As for Turner - its certainly wise to not appear too desperate.

Oh ok, you thought I was talking about Spectre. I was talking about Casino Royale.
    It took them one year, if not more, from the first meeting with Craig where he definitly said NO to them, until the Contract was signed.

He didn't wanna do it until he saw the Script, which must have been still in production on their first meeting. After that it Clicked for him.

Yes, that's the one. He was quite good there.
    One of his better scenes in ATTWN I think, as it gave an accurate impression the character without really telling anything about him.

Here is the scene (in very poor quality)
    Yes, true. Thanks for clearifying. Its good to not jump on every bit of fame and money thrown in your direction. Shows character, or not? That's why this "only for the money" is as much a spur of the monent thing as the wrist. He didn't do it back then and certainly not now. He does it, because he wants to - for whatever reason.
  • RC7RC7
    Yes, true. Thanks for clearifying. Its good to not jump on every bit of fame and money thrown in your direction. Shows character, or not? That's why this "only for the money" is as much a spur of the monent thing as the wrist. He didn't do it back then and certainly not now. He does it, because he wants to - for whatever reason.

I agree with you. Some of those who want Craig to move on are like vultures, with their sanctimonious diatribes. If you want him to move on, not a problem, just say it rather than misrepresenting the bloke, or cherry picking out of context morsels, like a hack journalist.