Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I get where you're coming from @Ludovico, I just don't think it's a big issue anymore. I haven't particularly followed Mark Hamill's career but I do recall that the critics (if anybody really took much notice of them) all felt the big standout star of Star Wars was Harrison Ford. Even though the movie was principally about Luke Skywalker, most felt it was Ford that rose head and shoulders above everybody else in the cast. Of course, the audience felt the same way which was why he went on to become a very big star.

You mention that Holmes is "THE most played character in cinema and television" as if audiences that went along to see Robert Downey Jr gave that a second thought when queuing up to see his movie. I'm sure if you'd have stood inline alongside them and put this question to each and everyone of them, the vast majority would've given you blank stare. Bottom line, the average modern moviegoer doesn't really care that much about the history and filmography of these characters and would be hard-pressed to give you the names of any two actors that have played him before. Off the top of my head I can only think of Basil Rathbone (who, by all accounts, shouldn't really have played him as he'd already played such iconic roles as Sir Guy of Gisbourne and Baron Wolf von Frankenstein directly before that) and of course Christopher Lee. Though, I'm aware of there being many other actors, both TV and cinema, who have also played him over the years, it's these 2 that standout to me.

But it seems that we're just making a case for any actor being able to play Holmes but not Bond, when that's not entirely true. Some have been terribly miscast as Holmes. As for Holmes there's a certain mould that they must adhere to. Of course, there's no way that so many actors will be able to match the numbers that have played Holmes, notably because he's in the public domain and producers are free to make as many different versions of him without paying a fee. This cannot be said of Bond. Still, six different actors have played 007, so the audience understands that it's not going to be Connery anymore when they buy their ticket for B26 or B27. Whether they can suspend their disbelief that Clark Kent can now be 007, I don't think that it'll be too much of a problem, maybe only to a small minority?
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 12,837
    bondsum wrote: »
    Yeah, that's because you've probably watched it over a 1000 times @BAIN123. When is anything exciting when you know what's coming next? The real excitement is seeing it on the big screen on Day 1 and not knowing anything about it. I can't agree, the low and tight angles made this look quite unique and exciting back in 71. Compared to any of the fight scenes in TLD and LTK—which look insipid, uninspiring and lacking in energy—the DAF elevator fight looks like a high-water mark in the series.

Probably the best thing in the whole movie!
    Which is then ruined by the 'you've just killed James Bond!'

To be fair, Fleming paved the way for that in the books. There are a couple of times where he makes out his stories are based on a real life Bond, and in M actually mentions the books in Bond's obituary. So they could exist in the film world too. Tiffany probably knew about him because of them.
    I'm not saying every actor could play Holmes. In fact I don't think Jr did all that well playing him to be honest but here's an iconic character that has been played by many, many, many actors with a handful of more memorable ones: Basil Rathbone (and Guy of Guisburn is a classic character but peripheral to Robin Hood, he's not in itself iconic neither he's he much defined outside being Robin's nemesis), Jeremy Brett (IMO THE ultimate Holmes, a role that completely obscured the rest of his career), Benedict Cumberbatch.

I think in general actors associated with one iconic role tend to be stuck with this association. They can of course do other things but in genre movies it stick to them. Mark Hamill had to become a voice actor (and a great one at that) to get off the shadow of Star Wars. To be fair to Henry Cavill, I understand his Superman was not exactly memorable.
    I don't really know why Mark Hamill didn't have bigger success beyond Star Wars? He had many TV acting roles under his belt by the time of Luke Skywalker so was a fairly accomplished TV actor. The only other movie I remember him in of any note was The Big Red One. Maybe his youthful looks were working against him? Had he been around in today's youth-conscious market, I believe he would have benefited more. The same could be said of Carrie Fisher. Again, I don't believe the problem was with audiences, I believe it was with the producers and studios, and perhaps the casting directors. Harrison Ford was perhaps the first true trailblazer in the modern age that changed this antiquated mindset.

Back to Basil Rathbone. Of course, The Adventures of Robin Hood was very much the Star Wars of its day. There probably wasn't anyone on earth, at the time, that didn't recognise Basil Rathbone from that movie. It would have been seen as "iconic" and as "role defining" back in 1938 as it was for any lead actor that appeared in Star Wars in 1977 and after. I think there's always a counterargument for casting an established name into an "iconic" role. If I recall correctly, they almost went with Robert Redford for the 70s Superman. I think one of the deciding factors was that the producers wanted an actor that would make more than one movie with them, and the salary would've been an important factor too. This is all a long-winded way of saying I don't think it's too important that Cavill has played the man in spandex before Bond anymore, or vice versa. If the modern audience is as well-versed and knowledgeable as we suspect that they are, then they'll already know that Cavill was Campbell's original first choice for Bond over Craig and, like Brosnan, will see him as the heir apparent. Does that mean that I think Eon would prefer an unknown over an established name... yes, I still think that would still be their preference. So Turner it is, then :)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Mark Hamill did have success outside Star Wars. A big one.

Batman: The Animated Series gave him a whole new profile under The Joker. A role he reprises to this day and is most associated with.

Batman: The Animated Series gave him a whole new profile under The Joker. A role he reprises to this day and is most associated with.

And I did say he had to become a voice actor. Where he excels by the way.

I think big is a strong word there though, compare his career to Harrison Ford's. I've played some of the Arkham games and I think he's brilliant in them, almost on par with Heath Ledger, but without wanting to be disrespectful, it isn't really what you'd expect the lead from Star Wars to have ended up doing. Good for him basically finding a whole new career and he's obviously very talented but it is a bit weird that he didn't get more film roles.

I think big is a strong word there though, compare his career to Harrison Ford's. I've played some of the Arkham games and I think he's brilliant in them, almost on par with Heath Ledger, but without wanting to be disrespectful, it isn't really what you'd expect the lead from Star Wars to have ended up doing. Good for him basically finding a whole new career and he's obviously very talented but it is a bit weird that he didn't get more film roles.
    Entirely agree @thelivingroyale. I didn't want to say it but as you already have, I'll add my name to your own observation.
    I don't think EON wants to share an actor with another franchise, and I don't blame them. Roger was done with the Saint when he became Bond, but Cavill isn't done with Superman. And though Downey plays both Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes, it's obviously Holmes who's been on the backburner. Furthermore, it's better to cast an actor who hasn't been publicly defined as another character. The Saint was close enough in character to Bond (debonair but tough international adventurer) to make an exception to this, as Remington Steele.

Scheduling is also an issue. I know that we've been subjected to four year periods between Bonds, but I'm guessing EON would ultimately prefer--after locking in a new actor and securing distribution--to regularly release films on a two-to-three year interval. A new Bond actor will likely be expected to be up for at least four films, and if he's already part of another franchise with similar expectations, scheduling will become difficult.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I agree that there is no way EON will share concurrently with another major franchise. However, I don't believe they will exclude an actor, particularly the one who follows Craig, on account of him being in a big franchise previously. In fact, I think there is a reasonable chance it will be an actor we all know for the next one.
    Yes, I should have perhaps made myself clearer. I don't think it'll be a problem with cinema audiences once Cavill has hung up his cape and is free of Superman. As @Revelator points out, Eon would most likely not want to share their lead man with another franchise, though just how any future Bond actor is going to want to tie himself to a character that only sees the light every four years and not appear in any other big franchise movies might be another huge stumbling block in contract talks.

For me, the only part of your summary that goes astray is when you mention "it's better to cast an actor who hasn't been publicly defined as another character" then use the term "exception to the rule" and cite two actors where this was apparently forgiven @Revelator. It's either a rule or it isn't, I'm afraid. And I think the examples that you've just offered prove that the rules are there to be broken or at least bent. I think it's easy for younger members here to forget just how popular and well known Roger Moore was as The Saint before he made LALD. Sir Rog even found it difficult stepping out from the shadow of Templar with his The Persuaders! TV show in '71, which failed to capture the US market and for which ABC pulled the series before all 24 episodes were aired. Some might blame the fact that it went head-to-head with Mission: Impossible, if excuses are there to be had, but the combined chemistry of Tony Curtis and Roger Moore should have been enough to overcome a show that had been running since 1966 and that only had 2 more years of life left in it before it was cancelled itself. Either way, Moore was still Simon Templar in most people's eyes. Despite UA and—for a long time Saltzman not wanting to go with Moore (Broccoli was his biggest champion)—Moore got the green-light. Whether I was a big fan of Roger Moore or not as 007 is by the by, it's how others saw him that really counts. Regardless, I still parted with my own money to queue up and see Moore in a Bond movie even when his movies were pretty dire.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 2,896
    For me, the only part of your summary that goes astray is when you mention "it's better to cast an actor who hasn't been publicly defined as another character" then use the term "exception to the rule" and cite two actors where this was apparently forgiven @Revelator. It's either a rule or it isn't, I'm afraid.

It's still a rule, but I'll modify it to read "it's better to cast an actor who hasn't been publicly defined as character dissimilar to Bond." Simon Templar and Bond are cut from a more similar cloth than, say, Batman and Bond, and the Saint was an obvious influence on Fleming's Bond. For an actor to go from one to another feels like a natural progression. Ditto for Remington Steele, who again shared DNA with Templar and Bond, and whose show was often viewed as a Bond try-out for Brosnan.

When you have an actor who has proved himself in the role of a suave but tough British adventurer, the sort of hero looks great in a tux, at the wheel of a swank car, or at the throat of a villain, then the public is already primed to accept him as a potential Bond. His past roles don't have to be put aside in picturing him as Bond, whereas Cavill would need to make us forget Superman even after he stops playing him. And to be honest, I don't find him an interesting or exciting choice for Bond.

There are thousands of young, ambitious, and talented actors in Britain and the Commonwealth who haven't yet hit the big time, and hundreds of them who might have the attributes for Bond. It would be wonderful for EON to work the same magic it did with Connery and put a new face in the spotlight, someone with no past associations. As it is, none of the big names currently proposed for the role are to my liking.
    Was Cavill that memorable as Superman to begin with? Same with Turner in The Hobbit: he makes a penis joke then he dies I think. I'm mean but it's kind of true: they haven't been exactly praised all that much in these roles.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Was Cavill that memorable as Superman to begin with?

He certainly hasn't given the ghost of Christopher Reeve a run for his money.

• edited May 2018 Posts: 684
    bondjames wrote: »
    In fact, I think there is a reasonable chance it will be an actor we all know for the next one.
    I also feel like that's the move that is going to be made going forward, and yet...
    Revelator wrote: »
    It's still a rule, but I'll modify it to read "it's better to cast an actor who hasn't been publicly defined as character dissimilar to Bond."
    I would agree with this. Which is why casting one of the undiscovered talents might be the correct move (at least if recasting needed doing now).

I mean, let's assume that we would all be able to reasonably guess the eventual choice for Bond #7, that the next actor winds up being someone with whom we would all be familiar and not a new discovery. @Revelator makes a good case for what their scouting template should be: a familiar actor, but not a major Hollywood star; someone known chiefly for his television work, familiar through the small screen but whose freshness on the large screen is yet untapped; someone who has extensively played someone in the Bond mold.

Given those guidelines, is there anyone who actually fits? Off the top of my head I'm stuck.
    Strog wrote: »
    In fact, I think there is a reasonable chance it will be an actor we all know for the next one.
    I also feel like that's the move that is going to be made going forward, and yet...
    It's still a rule, but I'll modify it to read "it's better to cast an actor who hasn't been publicly defined as character dissimilar to Bond."
    I would agree with this. Which is why casting one of the undiscovered talents might be the correct move (at least if recasting needed doing now).

I mean, let's assume that we would all be able to reasonably guess the eventual choice for Bond #7, that the next actor winds up being someone with whom we would all be familiar and not a new discovery. @Revelator makes a good case for what their scouting template should be: a familiar actor, but not a major Hollywood star; someone known chiefly for his television work, familiar through the small screen but whose freshness on the large screen is yet untapped; someone who has extensively played someone in the Bond mold.

Given those guidelines, is there anyone who actually fits? Off the top of my head I'm stuck.
    GoT comes to an end soon. I'd imagine there's someone on there for any number of roles, including MP, M and even Bond, but nobody screams out at me at present either.
    Strog wrote: »

GoT comes to an end soon. I'd imagine there's someone on there for any number of roles, including MP, M and even Bond, but nobody screams out at me at present either.

They have a lot of former Bond movies actors. And I mean a lot. It would makes sense to have a future Bond in the cast past or present.
    For me, the only part of your summary that goes astray is when you mention "it's better to cast an actor who hasn't been publicly defined as another character" then use the term "exception to the rule" and cite two actors where this was apparently forgiven @Revelator. It's either a rule or it isn't, I'm afraid.

It's still a rule, but I'll modify it to read "it's better to cast an actor who hasn't been publicly defined as character dissimilar to Bond." Simon Templar and Bond are cut from a more similar cloth than, say, Batman and Bond, and the Saint was an obvious influence on Fleming's Bond. For an actor to go from one to another feels like a natural progression. Ditto for Remington Steele, who again shared DNA with Templar and Bond, and whose show was often viewed as a Bond try-out for Brosnan.

When you have an actor who has proved himself in the role of a suave but tough British adventurer, the sort of hero looks great in a tux, at the wheel of a swank car, or at the throat of a villain, then the public is already primed to accept him as a potential Bond. His past roles don't have to be put aside in picturing him as Bond, whereas Cavill would need to make us forget Superman even after he stops playing him. And to be honest, I don't find him an interesting or exciting choice for Bond.

There are thousands of young, ambitious, and talented actors in Britain and the Commonwealth who haven't yet hit the big time, and hundreds of them who might have the attributes for Bond. It would be wonderful for EON to work the same magic it did with Connery and put a new face in the spotlight, someone with no past associations. As it is, none of the big names currently proposed for the role are to my liking.
    I'm just playing devil's advocate as to why I think we shouldn't rule out Cavill entirely from being the next Bond. I've even stated myself that my own preference would be an unknown, or an actor of a lesser profile (preferably tall, dark and handsome), as I think these types have worked out best in the past. I guess the exception was Dalton, who despite some of us here liking immensely (myself included), he didn't quite gel with US audiences.

The problem with some of the logic of not casting Cavill is based solely around "I don't find him an interesting or exciting choice for Bond" or "he's a plank of wood" which is fair enough. It's of course subjective as I never bought into Roger Moore as Bond for the very same reasons, seeing him as Simon Templar first and rather limited as a performer. That doesn't mean to say that I didn't like Roger Moore, I loved him. Maybe just not as Bond, and not for the duration he ended up playing 007 for. I think perhaps 3 or 4 movies max should have been his limit. I also wasn't alone in this way of thinking either, but it seems I was a minority in the overall big scheme of things.

We could debate the pros and cons of Moore and Brosnan having played a prototype Bond before being cast as Bond, but at the end of the day Moore (Brosnan perhaps less so as Remington Steele) was universally known as TV's The Saint in his early years. Never once did I watch The Saint and think: he was like James Bond because he was British and suave. To me, he was always Simon Templar foremost in my mind. Only when Moore became Granddad Bond did I think he's now too old to play Simon Templar and came around to the notion that maybe he was now his very own Bond, although not for the right reasons. Cavill dressed up in spandex with a kiss curl and adopting an American accent is a very different proposition to seeing the same actor dressed in a tux and with his proper English accent. It'll be interesting whether you think of Superman when you watch Cavill in the new MI movie. My guess is that you won't over the duration of the movie. And by the very same token that we're saying Moore and Brosnan played prototype Bonds before being cast, can we not apply the same logic to Cavill as a CIA agent in MI? After seeing that amazing halo jump that Cavill performs in the movie, maybe the producers will think: we want our very own action man who can do his own stunts like Cruise as well? Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Benny wrote: »
    Based on the MI Fallout trailer, I'm wondering if MI is Henry Cavill's Bond audition so to speak.
    Let's not forget he almost landed the role for CR, but was deemed too young. Having got a list of well known films behind him, and looking bulked up and potentially Bondian, I wouldn't think its too far to imagine that he's on EON's radar.
    In the past actors that have missed the role have reappeared to win it later down the track. Pierce Brosnan and Dalton for example.
    He's also still young enough to credibly take on the role, and is a name that people know with a track record in popular movies. (And not just a TV star)
    I'd put money on him being on a shortlist. ;)

Hope not, he's a plank. No charisma, just look at TMFU, deadpan or just dead?
    I'm not sure how much of Cavill playing it deadpan and very unlike Bond was down to Guy Richie. After all, he didn't want UNCLE to look or sound anything like a Bond movie, which he stated in various interviews at the time. He was going for something different. The main problem I found with Cavill's Solo was his faux-American accent—initially because I knew he was British and was putting it on. For the record, I don't blame any of the actors for TMFU, I blame the script and the lousy direction.

No it shouldn't have been like a Bond movie. It should have been like a Man From Uncle movie, but wasn't! Wasted, wasted opportunity.
    I don't know anything about Nick Hendrix, but he looks decent enough, although lacking in the cruelty angle. If he can raise an eyebrow, I may be open to him.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/17/midsomer-murders-nick-hendrix-throws-name-ring-replace-daniel-craig-james-bond-7554683/
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I suppose he's alright. Not too keen on him, but he's better some of the dreadful choices made before.
    I suppose he's alright. Not too keen on him, but he's better some of the dreadful choices made before.
    I'm actually curious to see him in something. He has a fresh youthful look very different to the current fellow. Perhaps a bit 'likeable' visually for the role, but still I'm curious.
    Benny wrote: »
    Based on the MI Fallout trailer, I'm wondering if MI is Henry Cavill's Bond audition so to speak.
    Let's not forget he almost landed the role for CR, but was deemed too young. Having got a list of well known films behind him, and looking bulked up and potentially Bondian, I wouldn't think its too far to imagine that he's on EON's radar.
    In the past actors that have missed the role have reappeared to win it later down the track. Pierce Brosnan and Dalton for example.
    He's also still young enough to credibly take on the role, and is a name that people know with a track record in popular movies. (And not just a TV star)
    I'd put money on him being on a shortlist. ;)

Hope not, he's a plank. No charisma, just look at TMFU, deadpan or just dead?
    I'm not sure how much of Cavill playing it deadpan and very unlike Bond was down to Guy Richie. After all, he didn't want UNCLE to look or sound anything like a Bond movie, which he stated in various interviews at the time. He was going for something different. The main problem I found with Cavill's Solo was his faux-American accent—initially because I knew he was British and was putting it on. For the record, I don't blame any of the actors for TMFU, I blame the script and the lousy direction.

No it shouldn't have been like a Bond movie. It should have been like a Man From Uncle movie, but wasn't! Wasted, wasted opportunity.
    I agree, I didn't like the movie at all, but I blame Guy Richie for changing too much of what made the TV show work. There's some here that really liked the movie, so it does have its fans.
    I don't know anything about Nick Hendrix, but he looks decent enough, although lacking in the cruelty angle. If he can raise an eyebrow, I may be open to him.
    Nah. He looks like a younger version of Tom Hanks viewed through a prism... and his voice is too light.

After all this Cavill bashing and me playing devil's advocate, I've actually come around to being in Cavill's corner now. At least Cavill does his own stunts. Apparently it even surprised Tom Cruise that he was willing to do so many of them in MI: Fallout. I think Cavill's the real deal.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,341

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/17/midsomer-murders-nick-hendrix-throws-name-ring-replace-daniel-craig-james-bond-7554683/

Decent enough actor, but as Bond? No, can't see how that would work.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Me neither. Awful choice.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Here is a scene from his leaked audition tape :))

"Oh Moneypenny, you look lovely today"
    2822014.main_image.jpg?strip=all

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Isn t that Spirou/Sprint?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Maybe a porn-parody version of it lol
    Tom Hanks.... er, I mean Nick Hendrix...

MV5BMjM3ODQ0OTU4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDA2ODc1MDI@._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Right age, unknown enough. Not sure at all about his face on the pics.