Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I get the feeling that Campbell would fully support Aidan Turner for Bond 26. Cavill would have worked better in 2006, but since then he's grown out of the 007 look IMO. He's not too old, but just looks different, not suited for Bond anymore.
    When Aiden Turner realises he has lost the Bond gig :

aidan-turner.jpg?w=736&e=b44c2c9fe00ea29a8e861160df1e1c7c
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Of all the actors reportedly in the frame he has the most traditional Bondian look. Honestly a large part of me wishes Campbell and Wilson had their way and he was cast in 2005 as Brozza's replacement. We could have gotten a lot of mileage out of him and he'd still have a few more left in him, unlike the current actor who was too old to be cast as a rookie in 2006.

I haven't seen him in many things but isn't he a bit wooden
    Definitely, but he is improving. He was pretty decent in the last Justice League film and at least from what I can tell, he is going to be impressive in the next MI. I didn't appreciate his attempts in Man From Uncle so much, but he was far better for me than Hammer who I think mucked up the whole effort.

I'm quite certain that Campbell could have gotten the best out of him as he did from Brosnan and Craig. Pity we never had a chance to find out.

That's partially why I say he was a more interesting candidate then than now.

Now he's been too associated with too many iconic roles. I doubt they'll take him.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    barryt007 wrote: »

He’s got a pain-face too!

• edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Of all the actors reportedly in the frame he has the most traditional Bondian look. Honestly a large part of me wishes Campbell and Wilson had their way and he was cast in 2005 as Brozza's replacement. We could have gotten a lot of mileage out of him and he'd still have a few more left in him, unlike the current actor who was too old to be cast as a rookie in 2006.

I haven't seen him in many things but isn't he a bit wooden
    Definitely, but he is improving. He was pretty decent in the last Justice League film and at least from what I can tell, he is going to be impressive in the next MI. I didn't appreciate his attempts in Man From Uncle so much, but he was far better for me than Hammer who I think mucked up the whole effort.

I'm quite certain that Campbell could have gotten the best out of him as he did from Brosnan and Craig. Pity we never had a chance to find out.

That's partially why I say he was a more interesting candidate then than now.

Now he's been too associated with too many iconic roles. I doubt they'll take him.
    One could argue the same of Harrison Ford after playing the iconic Han Solo—and it certainly didn't come much bigger than Star Wars at the time. Of course, it didn't stop Harrison from taking on Indiana Jones (simultaneously while playing Han Solo, I might add), nor Jack Ryan or Dr. Richard Kimble. There's plenty of other examples of other actors switching roles. Robert Downey Jr. going from Iron Man to Sherlock Holmes is another. I could list plenty more but I'm sure you get my drift. I don't think current audiences are so steadfast in an actor not being able to play another role, whether it be iconic or not. After all, it's only make-believe and everyone knows it's only a movie. There might be some cherished belief that if an actor has already played one "iconic role" therefore it rules him out from playing another—but I honestly don't think it's an issue with modern sophisticated audiences anymore. It certainly didn't stop Roger Moore, who was known worldwide and throughout the galaxy as Simon Templar before he played Bond. I'm not saying that Harrison Ford or Robert Downey Jr. didn't have their detractors, but these people were only a small and insignificant minority when it came to BO takings. Truth be told, Cavill has only played Americans so far. Even in the latest MI: Fallout he has an American accent and is playing a CIA agent. It would be quite a different thing entirely to see and hear him with his English accent and not dressed in spandex.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    peter wrote: »
    That doesn't look like pain. Xenia might like him though. =))

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    peter wrote: »

Must have caught his mirror reflection after being to the hairdresser.
    @bondsum Harrison Ford is an exception, not a rule. And he got lucky as George Lucas did not want him for Indiana Jones initially. Robert Downey Jr. had become a star by the time he became Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes, the latter being the most played character in history... Which he didn't play that well to begin with. As for Moore he became Bond in very specific circumstances when a better known actor was necessary. Again he was an exception not the rule.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @bondsum Harrison Ford is an exception, not a rule. And he got lucky as George Lucas did not want him for Indiana Jones initially. Robert Downey Jr. had become a star by the time he became Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes, the latter being the most played character in history... Which he didn't play that well to begin with. As for Moore he became Bond in very specific circumstances when a better known actor was necessary. Again he was an exception not the rule.
    Perhaps it's time for an exception of that sort again. After all, Ford, Downey Jr, and Moore are all class acts and have made their mark on the respective series they took on.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

That could also be Turner thinking about being Bond.

mrbean-if-you-know-what-i-mean.jpg

Holmes has been played by most actors, but Dracula has been in most films.
    Turner and Brosnan are not the only ones versed in the art of a well delivered pain face:
    CHlk0hp.jpg
    If Cavill becomes Bond it would be kind of fitting as Lazenby played Jor_El.
  • peterpeter Toronto

That could also be Turner thinking about being Bond.

mrbean-if-you-know-what-i-mean.jpg

@MajorDSmythe, I take my hat off to you, good sir.

Perhaps it's time for an exception of that sort again. After all, Ford, Downey Jr, and Moore are all class acts and have made their mark on the respective series they took on.

His Sherlock Holmes was sloppy. At best.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883

I can't say I'm the biggest fan, and quite frankly I think they should have cast an Englishman. Still, they are apparently making another one, so there are obviously people who like it. All three have been fan hits in their respective roles.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I like the RDJ/Ritchie Holmes movies just fine.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 15,881

As much as I like RDJ, I felt him being cast as Holmes was kind of like, if say, Clint Eastwood were ever to be cast as Count Dracula. There was nothing about Downey Jr that remotely screamed Sherlock Holmes to me. That said I don't think he did a bad job at all.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    bondsum wrote: »
    Anyway back on topic: apart from internet rumours, anything to back up Turner as Bond? Any sign any decision maker is actually even remotely interested about him?
    No more and no less interest or decisions on Turner than on any of the other candidates mentioned here, I should imagine.

Sometimes I wonder if taking Craig back for one more is partially due to a lack of convincing candidates at the moment. Or at least Barb is not convinced by any of them.

I disagree. Babs is very fond of Craig. She picked him and I think she likes him personally and admires him professionally. He's been a massive success as Bond having just been in 2 of the most successful Bond films ever.

Traditionally EON has been loyal to their actors. They invest a lot in them and getting rid means starting again from scratch. The recent exception was Brozza who I don't think Babs ever really rated.

Recasting is always a gamble.

So why would she recast?
    Getafix wrote: »
    Anyway back on topic: apart from internet rumours, anything to back up Turner as Bond? Any sign any decision maker is actually even remotely interested about him?
    No more and no less interest or decisions on Turner than on any of the other candidates mentioned here, I should imagine.

Sometimes I wonder if taking Craig back for one more is partially due to a lack of convincing candidates at the moment. Or at least Barb is not convinced by any of them.

I disagree. Babs is very fond of Craig. She picked him and I think she likes him personally and admires him professionally. He's been a massive success as Bond having just been in 2 of the most successful Bond films ever.

Traditionally EON has been loyal to their actors. They invest a lot in them and getting rid means starting again from scratch. The recent exception was Brozza who I don't think Babs ever really rated.

Recasting is always a gamble.

So why would she recast?

I know Barb is very fond of Craig and it certainly played a part in the decision to have him for one more. What I said was merely an hypothesis. And I agree with the rest of what you said.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Yeah, that's because you've probably watched it over a 1000 times @BAIN123. When is anything exciting when you know what's coming next? The real excitement is seeing it on the big screen on Day 1 and not knowing anything about it. I can't agree, the low and tight angles made this look quite unique and exciting back in 71. Compared to any of the fight scenes in TLD and LTK—which look insipid, uninspiring and lacking in energy—the DAF elevator fight looks like a high-water mark in the series.

Probably the best thing in the whole movie!
    Which is then ruined by the 'you've just killed James Bond!'
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Benny wrote: »
    Based on the MI Fallout trailer, I'm wondering if MI is Henry Cavill's Bond audition so to speak.
    Let's not forget he almost landed the role for CR, but was deemed too young. Having got a list of well known films behind him, and looking bulked up and potentially Bondian, I wouldn't think its too far to imagine that he's on EON's radar.
    In the past actors that have missed the role have reappeared to win it later down the track. Pierce Brosnan and Dalton for example.
    He's also still young enough to credibly take on the role, and is a name that people know with a track record in popular movies. (And not just a TV star)
    I'd put money on him being on a shortlist. ;)

Hope not, he's a plank. No charisma, just look at TMFU, deadpan or just dead?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Based on the MI Fallout trailer, I'm wondering if MI is Henry Cavill's Bond audition so to speak.
    Let's not forget he almost landed the role for CR, but was deemed too young. Having got a list of well known films behind him, and looking bulked up and potentially Bondian, I wouldn't think its too far to imagine that he's on EON's radar.
    In the past actors that have missed the role have reappeared to win it later down the track. Pierce Brosnan and Dalton for example.
    He's also still young enough to credibly take on the role, and is a name that people know with a track record in popular movies. (And not just a TV star)
    They said the same thing about Pierce Brosnan. We know how that turned out.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Low and tight? The DAF lift fight? I couldn't think of a more limp fight in the series. Even if we just look at the Connery era fights, that lift fight lacks the confined, sweaty, bruised knuckle feel of the Train fight from FRWL.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I thought it to be deadpan, as that seemed to be the intention of the whole movie from the start. A stylish, all i can think of is caberet-like, spy story in which form was more important then content. And I loved the execution of it. Most noteably Vikander, of course, but I thought Cavill played it just right.

I thought it to be deadpan, as that seemed to be the intention of the whole movie from the start. A stylish, all i can think of is caberet-like, spy story in which form was more important then content. And I loved the execution of it. Most noteably Vikander, of course, but I thought Cavill played it just right.

Wasn't too bothered about Cavill, either, but that movie is all about Vikander. She steals every scene.
    The behind the scenes shenanigans are irrelevant as audiences weren't privy to Tom Selleck being Lucas's first choice for Indiana Jones @Ludovico. Clearly, the vast majority of audiences didn't have a problem with an actor being in two big franchises at the same time which was my main point—BO results are what counts in the end. As for Moore, well the jury's still out on whether he was a "better actor" than any of the other leading candidates at the time, but he certainly was an established name due to his popularity as Simon Templar before going into LALD, which again was my point. The "specific circumstances" debate can be applied to most casting scenarios and decisions—past, present and future. As for Sherlock Holmes being the "the most played character in history" it's not unreasonable to point out that we've now had six actors play Bond already (discounting David Niven and Barry Nelson) so it's not as if audiences aren't accustomed to a different actor playing the character. What's important here is that Bond represents what audiences expect and want. None of us, me included, truly know how a new Bond actor is going to be received until he's made the movie and it's out there. But with more and more actors currently crossing over into competitive big franchises, I honestly don't see it as a stumbling block it was once feared to be in the 60s.

PS. I included @bondjames in my quote as I think it coincides with my own thinking on Cavill.
    Low and tight? The DAF lift fight? I couldn't think of a more limp fight in the series.
    Anything with Roger Moore doing his obligatory limp-wristed karate chop springs to mind.

I'm not sure how much of Cavill playing it deadpan and very unlike Bond was down to Guy Richie. After all, he didn't want UNCLE to look or sound anything like a Bond movie, which he stated in various interviews at the time. He was going for something different. The main problem I found with Cavill's Solo was his faux-American accent—initially because I knew he was British and was putting it on. For the record, I don't blame any of the actors for TMFU, I blame the script and the lousy direction.
    @bondsum Like I said Ford is an exception. Mark Hamill was actually rebuffed for roles that could have relaunched his career because he had been Luke Skywalker (he did not play in Amadeus for that very reason, even though he had performed the role on Broadway). Bond has been played by many actors but nothing even remotely comparable to Sherlock Holmes, who is THE most played character in cinema and television. If not all mediums put together. Bond has been far more "centralized". Moore came due to circumstances that are not here anymore... partially thanks to Moore: Sean Connery is not casting the same shadow over the role. And Craig, while very much appreciated, has his detractors and is certainly not of the same iconic stature as Connery.