CLOSED

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    I’ll be surprised to see this summit happening... its all theatre...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This 17 year old used a gun registered on his father. He didn t just have communist and nazi insignia on him, but also satanist symbols.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 616
    hahahahahahaha.... oh, wait, this wasn't a joke? Like how Obama tried to put in gun control but was blocked by the Republican majority in congress? Like, that Obama?

Yep, the same Obama who signed two laws allowing people to bring guns into national parks and on Amtrak trains.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    hahahahahahaha.... oh, wait, this wasn't a joke? Like how Obama tried to put in gun control but was blocked by the Republican majority in congress? Like, that Obama?

Yep, the same Obama who signed two laws allowing people to bring guns into national parks and on Amtrak trains.

Of course, he had to try and get something through congress.........
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just saw that there were two armed personnel at Santa Fe High, specifically trained in active shooter situations. Nice to see that didn't help whatsoever.
    This 17 year old used a gun registered on his father. He didn t just have communist and nazi insignia on him, but also satanist symbols.

He went for broke, something has got to be blamed. What a moron.
    peter wrote: »
    good Dog... and there were ppl on this site that wanted us to collectively "give Trump a chance"...

Please wipe my stained bottom with thoughts and prayers-- thoughts and prayers (code-word: inaction/afraid of confronting the NRA) are getting kids killed.

I gotta believe that those that wanted Trump to "have a chance" don't have a wife or kids. They sit in front of their big TVs, watch movies and clap their hands together when they see something they never saw before, and play video games-- and wax poetic about it...

Gimme a f***ing break.

Give me more Childish Gambino since he makes more sense than the 45th and those that asked to give the Orange Idiot a chance...
    Not sure how it’s all Trump’s fault? Did Americans have no access to guns before he took office? Did he psss some new law giving out free guns outside school gates?

These shootings are happening with just the same regularity as under Obama who was just as supine at sorting it out.

The bottom line is Americans put gun ownership over their kids safety. That’s not any particular president’s fault but the society he is elected to serve.

The only difference between them is one president has brought North Korea to the negotiating table and is heading for a Nobel peace prize and one hasn’t.

Just saying.

Hun?? Obama in fact has a Nobel Peace Prize. Trump will never get one. Especially after accelerating us towards a likely war between Israel and Iran.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Just saw that there were two armed personnel at Santa Fe High, specifically trained in active shooter situations. Nice to see that didn't help whatsoever.

It helped at Illinois High School last Wednesday, but of course the media has since buried that story:

http://time.com/5280242/illinois-armed-student-high-school-police-officer/

It helped at Illinois High School last Wednesday, but of course the media has since buried that story:

That's great, but wildly inconsistent. I feel like I read more stories about the armed guards/police officers failing to stop a shooting than ones that succeed in stopping one. Either way it's obvious that much, much more needs to be done, particularly when you're having, almost on average, numerous school shootings a week.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Same story on CNN:
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/16/us/illinois-dixon-high-school-shooting/index.html

What do you mean 'has buried the story'? It's in all the 'Mainstream Media'. Oh wait, it's getting less attention because in Texas they didn't have a hero at hand to help stop the shooting, and 10 are dead. How thoughtless of them to die whilst others were saved!

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

That's great, but wildly inconsistent. I feel like I read more stories about the armed guards/police officers failing to stop a shooting than ones that succeed in stopping one. Either way it's obvious that much, much more needs to be done, particularly when you're having, almost on average, numerous school shootings a week.

Rarely will anyone who is armed stop a shooting. In most cases, they would/could stop it from escalating. But the perpetrator has the jump; and if the perp also knows where the guards tend to be, and knows where/how to best enter the school to take them out, we're back to square one.

Only in rare situations will guns keep you safe. If someone wants to shoot you, they'll do it. You won't have time to reach for your gun. And if you're the armed security, they'll know to take you out first. This is why arming teachers is a stupid and useless idea.
  • Escalus5 wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Progressives are so good at using facts to manipulate opinion.

It's just unfortunate that they're so aggressive and obnoxious, they'll inadvertently hand Trump a second term.

Because of course, Trump and his supporters are never aggressive or obnoxious. Or is it just that the Trumpistas have a pass on that sort of behavior, while Progressives have to be saintly at all times in order to have their voices be heard?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

That means it CAN work... and history shows that it almost never does. So pointing this isolated case out is what for you? Wish fulfillment? ;)
    Armed security always works...

Texas Governor adamant that they need to do anything, really anything but to stop disgruntled teenagers from getting weapons, because all in all, weapons don't kill, doors do!
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/19/us/texas-school-shooting-exits-trnd/index.html

@Escalus5 as far as I understand, one of the armed guards in this school was one of the victims. he survived but is seriously wounded.

I'm so Lucky not to live in the USA, to have been able to go to school without armed guards, without fear of schoolmates who were bullied to show up like rambo. It's amazing what gun control can do against paranoia, fear, etc.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 12,837
    I'm so Lucky not to live in the USA, to have been able to go to school without armed guards, without fear of schoolmates who were bullied to show up like rambo. It's amazing what gun control can do against paranoia, fear, etc.

I wouldn't bother mate. I bought this up before and was told I didn't understand and couldn't comment because I'm not an American. Maybe that's true, but every time something like this happens and the same conversations stop and start in the same way after, all I can think is I'm pretty glad I'm not.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited May 2018 Posts: 2,721
    It's a relatively simple formula.

You have mentally unstable people who feel alienated and angry. They manufacture a cause or belief - be it religion, political persuasion, catcher in the rye - and they have access to tools of destruction. Some will choose a truck, some explosives and many will choose assault rifles. The easier the access to these weapons in particular - the more people will be killed. Therefore if you have gun laws like the U.S do - then it is a calculated risk.

The school girl who said 'I thought it would happen here and it did' is everything you need to know. It is cultural - a country steeped in a history of violence that has a fetishisation of weapons not just as an interest but as a divine right. As part of the national identity.

I'm not surprised in the least that politicians attempt to side step the issue or run toward 'solutions' like arming high school teachers that cross from farcical into pure lunacy. Meanwhile the Texas governor blamed it on Internet and abortions. This will never change - it appears that the quickest way toward an armed insurrection or civil war would be by attempting to implement serious gun restrictions.
  • Let's see: we can blame the internet. Or violent video games, TV and movies. Or drugs, good ol' drugs, let's not forget about drugs. Or too many doors, yeah, that's the ticket. Got to put a Wall in front of all those doors. Or hey, let's blame every girl that never went out with the the poor shlub who did the shooting. There's some original thinking for you!

Or maybe, just maybe, we can say God doesn't really want every frustrated loser in the USA to kill a dozen or so people just because he can't get a date...and we can elect some politicians who are ready to stand up to felony weapons dealer Oliver North and his compadres in the NRA, and maybe then, at long last, we can actually work on getting some serious gun control done. Better late than never I suppose...
    @thelivingroyale you're absolutely right, but as long as Americans think they have anything to say about our, or other people's cultures, I'll put their nose on the fact that they think it's a better idea to have mass shootings at schools then to prohibit people from obtaining murder weapons because of their 'culture'.

as so often, 'arrogance and self-awareness seldom go hand in hand'.
    I think it's unfair to just say "Americans", there are millions of sensible people in the USA but they are outnumbered by the not so sensible.

This is a horrible spin off from the gun issue: all Americans get branded the same.
    patb wrote: »
    I think it's unfair to just say "Americans", there are millions of sensible people in the USA but they are outnumbered by the not so sensible.

If you're referring to the gun control controversy, that's not accurate. The majority is actually in favor of stricter gun laws:

http://time.com/5167216/americans-gun-control-support-poll-2018/
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339

If you're referring to the gun control controversy, that's not accurate. The majority is actually in favor of stricter gun laws:

http://time.com/5167216/americans-gun-control-support-poll-2018/

I presume its the gun clubs and the majority of the South that makes it difficult for gun laws to be toughened up ?

Plus influential people,IIRC Charlton Heston was a big supporter of guns,and owned a gun club or something similar.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I presume its the gun clubs and the majority of the South that makes it difficult for gun laws to be toughened up ?

It's really the lobbying of the NRA in Congress.

Also, states having different gun laws.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I wonder why the majority of U.S. Americans do not simply feel personally insulted by the gun advocates. The intentional homicide rate in the U.S. was 4.88 (homicides per 100,000 population) in 2015. In the same year, the rates for most of the EU member states was slightly, or even considerably, below 1.00. The same goes for Australia and New Zealand.

So if the NRA etc. play their broken record "Guns don't kill, people do", they are in fact saying that U.S. Americans are inherently five times as murderous as the population of other first-world countries. Must be a genetical thing, I suppose.

Looking at firearm-related homicides, I don't find figures for 2015, but depending on the country in question, from one of the years between 2011 and 2016. For 2016, the U.S. stands at 4.62. Supposing the 2015 total homicide rate is unchanged (which I don't suppose will be exactly the case), it means that almost 95 per cent of all murders in the U.S. are committed with guns. Whereas in places like Germany and the UK, that rate of firearm-related homicides is around 0.06 or 0.07, meaning only about one in 13 or 15 murders is committed using a gun, meaning well over 90 per cent of killers do not use a firearm.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I wonder why the majority of U.S. Americans do not simply feel personally insulted by the gun advocates.

So you're continuing with this narrative? Read my posts.
    @patb, couldn't agree more and I've seen the same statements shared in this thread already.

Trust me: not all of us Americans are in the same boat regarding this gun debate, so we really needn't be grouped together. It's like assuming everybody on the other side of the pond was up for Brexit.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I wonder why the majority of U.S. Americans do not simply feel personally insulted by the gun advocates.

So you're continuing with this narrative? Read my posts.

I read your posts, and I have no doubt that the majority is for gun control. I know too many reasonable Americans to believe otherwise. My point is, that majority should actually feel insulted as well and perhaps be induced to show more righteous indignation at the notion of "people do", than just be what appears to me a "silent" majority.
    The link to the polls is regarding "stricter controls" which is a meaningless concept really. A system of banning guns totally would be a better question to ask the USA public and I think the answer would be different. Also, if the nation cared that much, would they have voted for Trump?

It shows how twisted the agenda is that the polls seem to ask question re tighter controls or banning assault weapons but almost total bans similar to the UK system are not even discussed. (I assume as its too radical a concept?)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    barryt007 wrote: »

It's really the lobbying of the NRA in Congress.
    This is the bottom line. There aren’t actually that many of them just that the NRA put the effort in and relentlessly lobby the gormless politicians.

Maybe the answer is a referendum? Set the threshold at 75% of the population having to vote to make it valid then the NRA’s small membership will not be able to shape the will of the rest of the population even if they get every single one of their voters out?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 4,554

This is a horrible spin off from the gun issue: all Americans get branded the same.

Actually, they aren't. The problem is that the not-so-sensible rural minority have more voting power than the sensible urban majority. California + New York (60 million people total) = 4 votes in the senate; Wyoming + Nebraska + North Dakota + South Dakota + Montana + Idaho (6 million total) = 12 votes. Until that problem is fixed through a Constitutional amendment of some sort, this country will continue to slide into the abyss.
This discussion has been closed.