CLOSED

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well guys, they signed a paper! It says NK will denucliarize completely. Kim jung Un is a 'worthy negotiator', according to Trump.

So it'll be a similar deal that Kim Jong-ll did in the Clinton era? (And then backed out of in the Bush era?)

Something like that. Trump has given Kim Jung Un most he wanted: international recognition, beeing seen as a full partner. Kim hasn't given anything in return other then the same old promise. Even better, he's been even invited to the white house. Not that I think it's a bat thing. When it comes to dictators with nuclear power, they're better off beeing happy than desperate. And Kim needs to move probably, the DPRK is in a desperate state and about to collapse. Trump is handing Un a lifeline.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Is Trump giving Kim the same safety guarantee that the U.S. gave Gaddhafi? Not that I'm feeling particularly sorry for either.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited June 2018 Posts: 2,721
    Just in time for the summit...

[url="
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 7,500
    https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/12/donald-trump-now-2-1-win-nobel-peace-prize-historic-summit-kim-jong-un-7623593/
    Priceless.

Imagine if you got in when he was threatening ‘fire & fury’? The odds would’ve been about 1000/1!

"Bookies Ladbrokes"?? Really?

Seems like they haven't taken into consideration who the members in the Peace Prize Comitee are... By my knowledge of these former politicians, it is incredibly unlikely they will vote for him. And disregarding how much credit you give him for striking this deal (to know how the mind of a brash narcissist with an inferiority complex works, I guess it makes sense you would need another brash narcissist with an inferiority complex... And btw, doesn't this make Kim just as worth a candidate?) he basically cancelled it out with how he delt with the Iran deal. Considering that he also abolished the climate agreement (another important subject for the Peace Prize comitee), the Jerusalem Embassy shambles, as well as the fact that he seems to ignite drama and conflict with pretty much everyone that is not a shady dictator, it all adds up to make his case for an NPP incredibly weak...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    jobo wrote: »
    https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/12/donald-trump-now-2-1-win-nobel-peace-prize-historic-summit-kim-jong-un-7623593/
    Priceless.

Imagine if you got in when he was threatening ‘fire & fury’? The odds would’ve been about 1000/1!

Seems like they haven't taken into consideration who the members in the Peace Prize Comitee are... By my knowledge of these former politicians, it is incredibly unlikely they will vote for him. And disregarding how much credit you give him for striking this deal (to know how the mind of a brash narcissist with an inferiority complex works, I guess it makes sense you would need another brash narcissist with an inferiority complex... And btw, doesn't this make Kim just as worth a candidate?) he basically cancelled it out with how he delt with the Iran deal. Considering that he also abolished the climate agreement (another important subject for the Peace Prize comitee), the Jerusalem Embassy shambles, as well as the fact that he seems to ignite drama and conflict with pretty much everyone that is not a shady dictator, it all adds up to make his case for an NPP incredibly weak...

You're forgetting the trade wars he's now started with China, Europe and Canada....
    Priceless.

You're forgetting the trade wars he's now started with China, Europe and Canada....

That was included in my thoughts when I wrote "he seems to ignite conflict with pretty much everyone that is not a shady dictator".
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 40,474
    So as expected, Trump said he'd accept nothing other than complete denuclearization of the peninsula, and from what I'm understanding, no official agreement was reached on that.

It actually sounds like we gave up more than we got: no official agreement to denuclearization, but Trump agrees to stop military exercises in Asia.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Trump must be a North Korean agent.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Well, that actually went better than I expected. For whatever it will ultimately be worth. No sanctions for Russia or N. Korea, yea! The U.S.: friend to all but allies and poor or dark-skinned folk. Make America Gentrified Already.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    So as expected, Trump said he'd accept nothing other than complete denuclearization of the peninsula, and from what I'm understanding, no official agreement was reached on that.

It actually sounds like we gave up more than we got: no official agreement to denuclearization, but Trump agrees to stop military exercises in Asia.

That's what you get when you're negotiating on the President's ego, not on actual political gains.

@jobo fair 'n 'uff, just having a brawl with, say, the Mexican president on who's paying for what wall has less impact than a full blown trade war with half the planet.. (China, and some former allies)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2018/jun/12/trump-and-kim-document-analysis-singapore-agreement-denuclearisation

The more I read about this the more I don´t know what to make of it. The concept of the term "denuclearisation" used seems very vague. There seems to be no real guarantee that North Korea will abolish their Nuclear Weapons program.
    Seems like the BBC is not the only one : nothing on the net either

Situation has been resolved without any loss of life. Congrats to the police for their handling of it.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 3,564

What "we" got is right out there for everyone to see if only we're willing to look at the world through Trump-colored glasses. "Look at that view. Wouldn't that make a great condo?" --DJT to Little Kim. Beach-side resorts emblazoned with the Trump logo, all up & down the coast of North Korea. The hand-shake deal has already been made. Book your reservations now, maybe we can get Francisco Scaramanga to oversee the construction...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

What "we" got is right out there for everyone to see if only we're willing to look at the world through Trump-colored glasses. "Look at that view. Wouldn't that make a great condo?" --DJT to Little Kim. Beach-side resorts emblazoned with the Trump logo, all up & down the coast of North Korea. The hand-shake deal has already been made. Book your reservations now, maybe we can get Francisco Scaramanga to oversee the construction...

Yep.
    It's called 'the art of the deal' right? ;-) Kim just tought Trump a lesson in dealmaking....

He's the Manchurian Candidate alright.

The Kremlin must be loving every move he makes. Putin couldn't have created this much chaos, confusion and doubt on his own in his wildest dreams.
    Getafix wrote: »

The Kremlin must be loving every move he makes. Putin couldn't have created this much chaos, confusion and doubt on his own in his wildest dreams.

And now they (even reasonably respectable members on this forum) think he should have a Nobel PP for it...
    I made this just now. I'll see myself out :))

D4qbcxz.jpg
    Getafix wrote: »

And now they (even reasonably respectable members on this forum) think he should have a Nobel PP for it...

Really? I haven't seen anyone propagate anything like that. cynical remarks yes, but I don't think anyone here has as of yet said it was a good idea.
    I am frankly bemused by what's going on. he's definitely blindsided the world.

It will probably be several years before the real Trump legacy is understood. much of what he says is hot air and he knows this. it's all part of his shtick.

it may be that his policies provide a boost to the US economy - at least it's industrial side. the US doesn't export much (who wants to buy an American car?) but imports a whole lot, so a protectionist economic policy could conceivably work in the US's favour.

I'm not sure what the implications are for the UK. we seem increasingly marginalised and powerless. Brexit is likely to leave us outside of EU decision making but desperately holding on to the EU's coat tails as we get knocked around by the global turbulence. the US is not our friend right now, that's for sure.

for the US bizarre and interesting times. for the UK dangerous and destabilising times.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 3,564
    I made this just now. I'll see myself out :))

D4qbcxz.jpg

:)) "Do you expect me to mock?" "No Mr. Bond -- I expect you to BUY!!!"
    Well I think we can safely assume Kim is definately taking the opportunity to show himself to his people as a statesman and undisputed leader, without any price to have to pay for it, even managing to show his 'popularity' in the region and equalling North Korea to Singapore.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/14/asia/north-korea-kim-trip-kcna-intl/index.html

I can only say: well played. All he needs now is sanctions lifted a little for a couple of years and his dinasty is secure for another few decades.

And Trump got.... a promise. I don't see how he's going to get more out of this, except the now official candidacy for the Nobel Peace Prize, which he might actually get in 2019 if Kim is really giving up the nukes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agree with everyone. War would have been so much better. Preferably nuclear.
    Agree with everyone. War would have been so much better. Preferably nuclear.

Don't worry! That is what we might get eventually...
    I'm aware that Thunderfinger was being facetious, so I'm not referring to him in this post, but the people who are hoping for a nuclear war just so they can be proven right about Trump need to piss off.

Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of these nutcases screaming their heads off on Twitter.
  • Can't speak for Twitter...but I'm not impressed by the non-results of the summit, and I think Trump is an ass. Nonetheless, I'm not in favor of nuclear war. Hope that isn't too nuanced for you...
    No, that's fine. You can stay.
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    I'm aware that Thunderfinger was being facetious, so I'm not referring to him in this post, but the people who are hoping for a nuclear war just so they can be proven right about Trump need to piss off.

Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of these nutcases screaming their heads off on Twitter.

There are none of these people! People are just rightly skeptical and disappointed by the so called "results" of the meeting. Kim has broken promises before...
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 616
    There are none of these people!

How many mushroom cloud memes have you seen in your various social media feeds since the election? Too many to count, right?

Moving on...
    People are just rightly skeptical and disappointed by the so called "results" of the meeting.

"Skeptical" and "disappointed" sound like reasonably sane reactions. I've got no problem there. I would even put myself into the skeptical category.
This discussion has been closed.