CLOSED

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jobo wrote: »
    No need for that.

Good. I can't help it though... We might talk again when you decide to make a serious contribution to the discussion.

And what is that? Endless fawning over Obama, the biggest war president in US history? The US was at war every single day during his eight years, hard to beat that. An average of 72 bombs were dropped daily, in addition to all the illegal drone warfare, and his very own new presidential executive order which made it ok to murder both American and foreign citizens, domestic and abroad, extrajudicially and based on suspicion.

But I guess he has a winning smile, and better hair than Trump.
    No need for that.

Good. I can't help it though... We might talk again when you decide to make a serious contribution to the discussion.

And what is that? Endless fawning over Obama, the biggest war president in US history? The US was at war every single day during his eight years, hard to beat that. An average of 72 bombs were dropped daily, in addition to all the illegal drone warfare, and his very own new presidential executive order which made it ok to murder both American and foreign citizens, domestic and abroad, extrajudicially and based on suspicion.

But I guess he has a winning smile, and better hair than Trump.

To claim that to criticise Trump you have to be "endlessly fawning for Obama" is incredibly Fox News like. I salute you! Obama´s name very seldom pops up in these discussions, so I don´t know where you are coming from.

To be taken serious in a discussion, it requires that you make proper comments with purpose and explenation, not one sentence jabs designed to confuse or provoke. And you should be able to represent another persons viewpoint fairly.

Now, to the matter you adress: There are certainly a lot in Obama´s presidency I do not support or approve of. However, two of the most long lasting wars Obama had during his presidency, where wars he didn´t start himself. You can disagree with how he handled them, but to claim it was his fault that they occured is just as ridiculous as claiming the financial crisis of 2008 was down to him. Again I salute you! I don´t necesarrily approve of his military intervention in Libya and Syria, but they don´t stand out compared to a lot of the wars previous American presidents have instigated. And by a contrast to a lot of those, he had the support of several other nations in the EU and NATO. Obama was far from perfect, but to call him the "biggest war president in US history", is quite unfair!
    I am glad to hear you have a somewhat balanced view on him.
    I am glad to hear you have a somewhat balanced view on him.

I am sorry to see you don't.
    Are you trolling now?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Here are my thoughts and prayers...WAIT! I forgot. I don't believe in a god, so I can't offer prayers. Oh well, thoughts will have to do since we can't take away the guns from those good citizens, can we?
    the US seems dangerously polarised. looking in from outside it looks and feels like a country ripe for totalitarian take over. the house voting boundaries have been so gerrymandered that there are fewer and fewer marginal seats. that means there is no incentive for candidates to reach across party lines to moderates in other parties during elections. the end result is more and more extreme or entrenched views on both sides.

I see Trump as a much bigger risk to the US and the world than Hilary, but I can also see why many are sick of lazy liberal assumptions in the US and elsewhere.

I've never understood how the Dems allowed themselves to become so extreme on abortion - almost without nuance. there used to be plenty of anti abortion Dems but these days you're basically not tolerated on the liberal left if you voice doubts or concerns about it.

I'm pro choice myself but respect non extremist pro life views and recognise there is perhaps also a legitimate debate to be had about whether 'choice' has gone too far.

any way I'm rambling. but it's all quite concerning really. unless the gerrymandering in the US is challenged politics will just become more and more polarised.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2018 Posts: 17,691
    No need for that.

mzTQLTy.jpg?2
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Kudos to her.
    I think this only deserves more yawning frankly.

I mean the US locking up kids in cages... boring!

move on. nothing to see here.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Chrisisall tbh I don't know any Trump supporters, not even on the right/ conservative side, as at least in this country he is unanimously seen as a tyrant. The thing is, though, that without discussion and engagement the polarisation keeps on getting stronger, with, usually, deadly results.
    btw as I understand it the NRA has often used Switserland as an example of 'a good gun country', proving that it's not the guns that kill. If I were a pro-gun legislation person in the US I'd then propose to implement the exact same laws as those in Switserland. It'd make everybody happy it seems.
    Are you trolling now?

probably not, as you haven't in the slightest nuanced your position on Obama. Then again, you're the one putting Obama in a Trump conversation, which is indeed very FoxNews like. You are aware that saying someone else is also no saint does not redeem the first person?

• edited June 2018 Posts: 11,425
    chrisisall wrote: »
    No need for that.

mzTQLTy.jpg?2

Sorry Superman. didn't you hear? the people elected Lex Luther as president.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 7,500
    Getafix wrote: »

Haven't you heard? The bible says it is our duty to put children in cages! And the even more sacred constitution says it is our right, no in fact obligation, to wear arms (at least if we interpret it in one certain way... which of course we do!). To have kids seperated from their families and school children shot is the will of the Lord! Isn't that obvious?
    true. doesn't the bible itself say "Let the little children come to me, and let them be caged or preferably gunned down in their classrooms?"

but then that has been translated from the Aramaic into Hebrew into Greek into Latin into English so might have lost something along the way.
    Perhaps the first step in the right direction would be not mentioning the Bible in politics!!!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It’s strange how all the most rabid Trump voters all allegedly run their life by the Bible. Yet I don’t remember Jesus ever doing any of this stuff.

Perhaps they ignore the Jesus bits and follow the old testament God because he was a nasty bastard.
    @Chrisisall tbh I don't know any Trump supporters, not even on the right/ conservative side, as at least in this country he is unanimously seen as a tyrant. The thing is, though, that without discussion and engagement the polarisation keeps on getting stronger, with, usually, deadly results.
    btw as I understand it the NRA has often used Switserland as an example of 'a good gun country', proving that it's not the guns that kill. If I were a pro-gun legislation person in the US I'd then propose to implement the exact same laws as those in Switserland. It'd make everybody happy it seems.
    Are you trolling now?

probably not, as you haven't in the slightest nuanced your position on Obama. Then again, you're the one putting Obama in a Trump conversation, which is indeed very FoxNews like. You are aware that saying someone else is also no saint does not redeem the first person?

Certainly, it s just that judging by everything you read and hear these days, Trump is the worst ever, a freak accident of some sort. A devil, a beast.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 7,500
    It’s strange how all the most rabid Trump voters all allegedly run their life by the Bible. Yet I don’t remember Jesus ever doing any of this stuff.

Perhaps they ignore the Jesus bits and follow the old testament God because he was a nasty bastard.

I remember during the elections when the biblical nuts raged on about how Hillary could never be forgiven for "letting her husband cheat on her"(???!). Yet there was no limit to how much they could accept when confronted with the fact that Trump has had three wives and been cheating on all of them repeatedly. "No one is faultless." "It's human to make mistakes". "Who are we to judge anyone for their sins?", etc...

There is no logic left. The evangelical Christians would support any republican to death even if there was video evidence of them sleeping with the devil himself...

• edited June 2018 Posts: 616

Since I'm sensing this comment was directed at me, allow for an explanation.

My post in response to jobo ("I've already yawned and moved on") was in reference to his repeated arguments about the 2016 election and the influence of Russian propaganda, which I found unconvincing. Although I believe that there were attempts to sway the election in favor of the Republican candidate with propaganda and DNC hacking, I'm skeptical as to how much of an influence it had on the overall results considering that Clinton still won the popular vote. Of course I find it unacceptable (and criminal) that the Russians could be that intrusive. Of course I don't want to see it happen again.

My anger and frustration mostly stems from the Democrats' hypocrisy (DNC rigging, which I already mentioned) and, most importantly, their inability to move beyond a political defeat to give us a viable candidate for 2020. I'm an independent, but on social issues I actually lean left. If the Dems can put aside their constant whining about the election and get behind a strong candidate -- even if it's Biden, who I think is kind of a moron but who at least demonstrates competence, unlike our POTUS -- I'll be more optimistic about where the Democrats are headed. Right now I think both parties are in shambles.

In regard to the immigration issue mentioned above ("locking up kids in cages"), I find the practice of separating children from their parents to be abhorrent. That being said, I'm not entirely convinced we're getting the whole story, considering that I keep running into conflicting information. For example, just this morning the Associated Press had a report about a Texas border patrol facility that is keeping parents and children together, albeit in crappy housing conditions:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hundreds-children-wait-border-patrol-facility-texas-193735082.html

That seems to conflict with another part of the article: "Stories have spread of children being torn from their parents' arms, and parents not being able to find where their kids have gone." So exactly how widespread is the practice of separating parents and children?

I have other questions, too (and if you have good sources for any of these, please provide them -- I'm not being snarky, I honestly want to know): How many of the border crossers are being detained, and for how long? How many are unaccompanied minors? Is there a system of record-keeping that would ensure minors are placed in decent foster care after the detention period? Etc.

In regard to immigration policy, I'm in favor of a secure border. I'm also in favor of granting citizenship to certain people who are here illegally, and I'm definitely in favor of treating people humanely. And yet, whenever I try to have a conversation about immigration with passionate Dem voters (not referring to anyone here), it can be really weird. For one thing, although we both usually agree that an open border is unsustainable for the long-term health of the country, the person with whom I'm speaking never seems to have any kind of clear goals on how to fix the problem other than "Resist!", and they seem to go looking for arguments on comparatively minor issues. Just recently, after finding common ground, when I asked my uncle what he wanted to see re: immigration policy, he deflected the conversation to boast about Obama's scandal-free record in the White House. What the hell does that have to do with immigration policy? Of course this is all anecdotal, but very often I get the impression that people are not thinking deeply about the issues, and it's frustrating.

In any case, I hope that's shed a little light on my take. I admit that I have the tendency to do snarky drive-by posts, but it's very often because I'm pressed for time and don't want to get involved in arguments that go on for several pages. I'll try to be better about that.

... and Getafix, I'm hoping we're still cool. As a fellow anti-Brozzer Dalton fan, I do value your opinion!
    Nope, all it takes to make enemies, is just one different opinion on something or other.
    I wasn't aiming it any one in particular!

I think anyone who wishes the US well and regards it (on balance) as a force for good in the world will be concerned by what is happening to the country at the moment.

Only America's enemies will take comfort from seeing the country's reputation dragged through the dirt by Adolf Trump.

Btw, is it pure coincidence that the American people elect a German as President and he turns out to be a fascist?

Good to know, thanks!
    I don't have a boycott policy. some members are clearly deranged but that's no reason to disengage... not always anyway. May I'd make an exception for Brosnan fans.

I find it tedious (although gratifying) when people agree with me.

Escalus5 wrote: »
    As a fellow anti-Brozzer Dalton fan
    Dalton is my favourite Bond, but I lika de Brozz too! I like 'em ALL!
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    As a fellow anti-Brozzer Dalton fan
    Dalton is my favourite Bond, but I lika de Brozz too! I like 'em ALL!

Heresy! Heresy! Anyone who does not agree that MY favorite Bond is the Absolute Best of all Possible Bonds shall be cast into a boiling lake of piranhas!!!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117

I think anyone who wishes the US well and regards it (on balance) as a force for good in the world will be concerned by what is happening to the country at the moment.

Only America's enemies will take comfort from seeing the country's reputation dragged through the dirt by Adolf Trump.

Btw, is it pure coincidence that the American people elect a German as President and he turns out to be a fascist?
    Not quite sure what you’re getting at there? It almost sounds as if you’re insinuating all Germans are fascists?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Are you trolling now?

Certainly, it s just that judging by everything you read and hear these days, Trump is the worst ever, a freak accident of some sort. A devil, a beast.

That's only because we're obsessed with the here and now. And perhaps the fact that he's been praising dictators for the way they run their countries and clearly expressing his wish to be in the same position. It's odd that the president of the US alienates allied countries who uphold the basics the US has claimed to uphold for so long - democracy, freedom of speech, etc. - and makes friends with leaders who distinctly distance themselves from these values: Kim Jung Un, Xi Jinping, Vladimir Putin.
This discussion has been closed.