Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    LALD and TSWLM.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DAF (Connery bias wins out-- I will always want to watch Connery over Moore-- even with his 70s bushy-brows and pot belly. He still comes off as tougher, and funnier, in a film with great-one liners (I'm afraid you caught me with more than my hands up))
    TSWLM
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    LALD and TSWLM.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DAF vs LALD

TMWTGG vs TSWLM

This should require very little justification or explanation and so I shall be brief. Even though it's an easy victory in both cases imho, I do very much enjoy the losers in this instance. They are extremely charismatic and flavourful Bond films starring my top two Bond actors, having a blast in both cases. The victors however are just too good. Top 10 in fact.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I'll let my pro-John Barry bias influence my decision making this round:

DAF

and

TMWTGG
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    DAF and TSWLM. Easily.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DAF and TSWLM for me as well. The first one is very close, the second isn t.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Used to be I would have choose LALD over DAF. But over time, the weirdness that is DAF and the sparkling dialogue between Connery and Gray, swayed me to say - DAF.

Spy. Easy this one.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger Would it be possible for me to retroactively change my TND v TWINE vote to TWINE? It would not change the outcome, but I'd like the record to correctly reflect my opinion.

Sure, the vote is in and I don t keep track of who voted what anyway.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    LALD
    TSWLM
    LALD and TSWLM
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    LALD and TSWLM
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    LALD by a wide margin
    TSWLM
    @Thunderfinger Would it be possible for me to retroactively change my TND v TWINE vote to TWINE? It would not change the outcome, but I'd like the record to correctly reflect my opinion.

Sure, the vote is in and I don t keep track of who voted what anyway.

I thought that maybe you'd have total vote numbers included in the end. I changed both mine, and your total.

That is fine. I only keep track of wins and losses. And ties. The number of participants varies somewhat from round to round, so the total number of votes isn t really relevant. People come and go here, naturally.
    But just to be clear, once the verdict is in, it s in, and if people want to change their votes later the results of former matches won t be altered.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DAF vs LALD (Yet another easy one, though I will say I also include myself in this minority of those who do love DAF. A bit OTT in places and it's probably the weakest finale for me (if not, then the Top 3), but still, it's good fun).

TMWTGG vs TSWLM (Even easier: one of my lower ranked ones versus one of the installments I praise the most. Having said that, TMWTGG has moved up in my appreciation over the past couple of years. I honestly used to have so very little I found enjoyable in it, but now I've grown to have fun with it, as well).
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    DAF over LALD

TSWLM over TMWTGG by a great deal.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    DAF
    TSWLM
    LALD and TSWLM
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Easy choice
    LALD & TSWLM
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    LALD over DAF, but the gap has narrowed throughout the years.

TSWLM cruises to an easy victory here, although I no longer consider Gun to be Rog's worst outing.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    LALD and TSWLM
    LALD beats DAF 22-8

TSWLM beats TMWTGG 26-4

Round 32:

LALD vs AVTAK

and

DN vs SF
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    LALD - Very Very easily.

DN - Crossing a very thin bridge with a blindfold like a walk in the park.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    LALD vs AVTAK - a no brainer really. I much prefer young Moore in general and LALD is a superior effort in most ways.

DN vs SF - both top 10 for me. Good though SF is (and it's quite good), the film that started it all off 56 years ago is just much better. In fact, it still holds up remarkably well today, as proven on a recent rewatch. Connery carries it and created a legend that endures. I'm eternally grateful.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    LALD
    SF
    peter wrote: »
    LALD
    SF

Same here. Moore s first beats his last easily.

The other match is very, very close, but I give it to SF just the same.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree @Thunderfinger -- the second match up is close... so many good things about both... But the polish of SF pushes it over the line for me.
    They went all in for the 50th anniversary. Wiseman was a better villain, but SF had Deakins and a better score.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    LALD easy
    SF Very close, but SF is my Nr. 2