Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    FYEO and CR.
    Couldn't have said it any better...:-)
    DAF
    CR
    Two easy ones.

DAF over FYEO - Mankiewicz's dark pastiche. DAF knows exactly what it wants to be and is, while FYEO is unsure of itself from the start. Though Connery's Bond here is different from his dangerous animal of the first four films, it is assuredly different — at no point does he give us the somewhat doleful and uninterested Bond of YOLT — and he nails the tone of the film perfectly. Elsewhere Barry's score (among the best in the series) combine for the penultimate time with Ken Adam's production design to provide the magical, larger-than-life glamour of Bond's world. FYEO might have more Fleming in it, but DAF is a just big, all-around celebration of Bond, and I love it.

YOLT over CR - Uneven script and bored Connery aside, YOLT is firmly a 60s Bond film, and its style and flare comes nearly automatically. However good CR is, it's tough work stacking up against Barry, Adam, Hunt, Gilbert, and Freddie Young. CR is good, but there are more things about it I find harder to like.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    DAF over FYEO
    CR over YOLT
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I'll let the classic era triad of Barry, Connery and Adam influence my votes this round:

DAF and YOLT

Strog wrote: »
    Two easy ones.

DAF over FYEO - Mankiewicz's dark pastiche. DAF knows exactly what it wants to be and is, while FYEO is unsure of itself from the start. Though Connery's Bond here is different from his dangerous animal of the first four films, it is assuredly different — at no point does he give us the somewhat doleful and uninterested Bond of YOLT — and he nails the tone of the film perfectly. Elsewhere Barry's score (among the best in the series) combine for the penultimate time with Ken Adam's production design to provide the magical, larger-than-life glamour of Bond's world. FYEO might have more Fleming in it, but DAF is a just big, all-around celebration of Bond, and I love it.

YOLT over CR - Uneven script and bored Connery aside, YOLT is firmly a 60s Bond film, and its style and flare comes nearly automatically. However good CR is, it's tough work stacking up against Barry, Adam, Hunt, Gilbert, and Freddie Young. CR is good, but there are more things about it I find harder to like.

Good post!

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Easy. FYEO > DAF. CR > YOLT
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DAF (Connery, Barry)...
    CR
    FYEO and CR
    FYEO and CR as well.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    DAF over FYEO

CR over YOLT
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    FYEO comfortably beats DAF for me.
    CR gets a relatively easy win against YOLT.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,883
    FYEO vs DAF - this is a relatively simple choice for me. I'm not a DAF hater and really do enjoy the film immensely these days. I'm perhaps one of the few that likes the last three generally denigrated Hamilton entries but doesn't think too highly of his most lauded first one. Having said that, I must give the win to FYEO here. I agree that it's tonally a bit off and can be a bit boring in parts (while DAF is anything but). However, it's just such a stunning film to view in high-def, and there's something quite unique to me in the manner in which it unfolds, particularly for a Roger Moore entry. It's a genuine thrilling spy entry, with limited frills, and just misses my top 10 normally while DAF objectively always resides in the lower section. So FYEO for the win.

CR vs YOLT - this is a much closer decision for me. There's no doubt that CR is an excellent film, and arguably one of the best of the past 25 years. However, I don't see it as the gem that many do here. In some respects, I think SF and GE are better. The section post-ball breaker is really difficult to get through for me. Moreover, I think it benefits from following the DAD trash. YOLT is one of the most iconic entries in the series. There are so many memorable scenes in the film, the Barry score is sublime and the cinematography and setting are exotic and intoxicating. The film has atmosphere dripping off it, like the other larger than life Gilbert entries. Sadly, like CR, I feel it collapses after the 'wedding' and 'disguise'. So difficult as it may be, I am giving the *slim* win to CR for this encounter mainly because I think Craig gives the performance of his life in the film while Connery coasts in YOLT.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    FYEO and CR

(sent from Dublin :) )

@DarthDimi, what are you doing in Dublin? On sabbatical`?

Drinking, fighting and ...

Nah, having a lot of fun in the country were Brosnan was born.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FYEO
    CR
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    LTK would have beaten CR here, FYEO not but only just.

In this round FYEO and CR are clear winners.
  • GBFGBF
    FYEO > DAF
    YOLT>CR

I would say that CR is objectively the better film but I enjoy YOLT much more.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FYEO beats DAF 20-9

CR beats YOLT 26-3

Round 30:

LALD vs MR

and

NSNA vs CR
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    LALD and MR are my two favorite Moore Bonds and top 10...I'll give the slight edge to MR for nostalgia purposes.

CR over NSNA by a landslide
    LALD vs MR

and

NSNA vs CR (Not even a contest !!! )
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    LALD
    CR
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    LALD and MR are the two fantastical Bonds, dealing with vodou and space travel. LALD has slightly less cringe, so agree it gets the win here. CR over NSNA is also a given.
    LALD destroys MR, and CR destroys NSNA. Possibly the easiest round yet.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    LALD vs MR - LALD is the superior entry to me. I'm not an MR hater though. Far from it.

NSNA vs CR - again, I enjoy them both but CR is better.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    LALD vs MR (I've definitely warmed to MR over the years, and now find it to be wildly entertaining, but LALD is Top 10 for me)

NSNA vs CR (No question; I'm of the minority that actually quite enjoys NSNA, but it has nothing on CR).
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    LALD
    CR
    MR
    CR
    LALD
    CR
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    MR over LALD

CR over NSNA

This was no contest.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    LALD and CR '06.
    LALD (barely) and CR (of course).