Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    DN and FRWL.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    DN vs LALD - both top ten and both quite similar in many ways, and not just because they are the successful debuts of my two favourite Bond actors. In this case DN wins. It's just too good. LALD receives an honourable mention from me though. Nothing wrong with it, but DN is better.

FRWL vs LALD - FRWL is my #1 Bond film, so the decision is clear.
    LALD

&

FRWL
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    LALD beats DN

FRWL beats LALD
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    LALD twice. Tough loss for FRWL which is my number 5 at the moment. LALD just has everything and checks each box of what I love (except no Q!)
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    LALD
    FRWL
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    The maestros firing on all cylinders, Young; Hunt; Wanstall; Barry; Adam and Connery et al, absolutely destroy all comers.

DN & FRWL
    DN and FRWL
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    DN and FRWL.

LALD is fine, but DN is top 10 and FRWL is top 3 so there you go.
    LALD
    And
    FRWL
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    DN and FRWL.
    DN
    FRWL
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    As much as I love Sir Rog as Bond, and have found a new appreciation for LALD, I cannot give it the vote. The first two movies are just too strong.

DN
    FRWL
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DN and FRWL
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I'm going to buck the trend here and go for LALD over DN. It was a very close call, but I enjoy Sir Rog's debut just a little more than Connery's.

FRWL is my number 1, so nothing beats it. Tough luck for LALD. It's just a case of a very good film up against a masterpiece.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DN beats LALD 17-7

FRWL beats LALD 23-1

Round 34:

YOLT vs TMWTGG

and

GF vs CR
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    TMWTGG (very very close though,that one - tough.They are #19 and #20 in my rankings atm but TMWTGG has more re-watch and fun value for me,even though it's lower by one place.)

&

CR
    (no-brainer for me.)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    TMWTGG - Roger's best performance as 007

GF - An instant choice for me
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    TMWTGG - what @ClarkDevlin said
    CR - CR is in my top five, GF not even in my Top 10.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    YOLT and CR (2006). That wasn't hard at all.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    YOLT vs TMWTGG - Both are reasonably entertaining and exotic, but I much prefer the quirkiness and eccentricity of Roger's second outing as OO7. He's at the top of his game in this one and that makes a lot of the difference - better than the great Sean, who seems to be coasting lazily. YOLT is iconic and I do enjoy it, but give TMWTGG the win.

GF vs CR - I watched both recently (CR just yesterday actually) and for me this is an easy choice. One film is iconic and legendary but has never captured my heart sadly, despite numerous attempts by me to find positives. I find it a boring slog these days, saved by a few classic moments & a decent performance from big Sean. Craig's first on the other hand keeps me engaged for the most part, even if I don't rate it as highly as others and find most of it post-ball beater unecessarily cringey and tedious. CR for the win. A needed redemption for EON.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    YOLT

CR
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    CR
    And
    YOLT
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    TMWTGG - Roger's best performance as 007

GF - An instant choice for me

My choices as well.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I had a really good time with YOLT last Bondathon, whilst TMWTGG is increasingly a slog to get through. YOLT

Perennial Top Tenners but I'm going to have to go with CR.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TMWTGG over YOLT

GF over CR. I’ll have to update my rankings because this is an upset.
    YOLT
    CR
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    TMWTGG over YOLT. Both films have their respective issues, but I was really engrossed with Roger's performance the last time I watched Gun. Having Christopher Lee around didn't hurt either. Conversely, I looked as bored as Sean on my last viewing of YOLT.

CR over GF. I feel bad to pile on GF like this, as both are top ten films for me. But while GF usually resides in the 9th or 10th spot, CR is just too good at #2. Rough day for Sir Sean. Better luck next time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am with @Birdleson. Connery and the 60s for the win in both cases, although both are very close. YOLT and TMWTGG are both somewhere in the middle, while GF and CR are both top three.
    YOLT over TMWTGG with extreme ease.

CR edges out GF, but both are absolutely top tier Bond.