Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    TSWLM is one of a few that it is hard for me to see anyone disliking (I'd probably add the first three and CR).

I have it that way with FYEO.
    Variety in opinion is the spice of the site.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Going to echo the crowd here...

GE over FYEO - Both are fun to watch. GE is just on another level. Wish Rog had made a couple more like FYEO though.

TSWLM over TWINE - Mismatch.
    TSWLM is one of a few that it is hard for me to see anyone disliking (I'd probably add the first three and CR).

Thats perfectly understandable! TSWLM is revered among fans and is Rogers own favourite and is considered a step up after the 'disappointing' TMWTGG. But I just don't go along with the crowd on this one! I would sooner watch any of Moore's other Bonds (and yes, that includes AVTAK!). Spy just bores me..boring villain, wooden leading lady, I hate the Jaws character, the action is rather bland and the finale is very draggy. The jokey score doesn't help and the humour is nearly as bad as MR which I think is more daft..but more enjoyable! Moore is great and looks sharp..especially in his naval uniform and he obviously was enjoying himself..but it just doesn't do much for me. As a footnote it has one of the best stunt sequences ever in a movie..but the rest of the pts is as dull as the rest!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Thats perfectly understandable! TSWLM is revered among fans and is Rogers own favourite and is considered a step up after the 'disappointing' TMWTGG. But I just don't go along with the crowd on this one! I would sooner watch any of Moore's other Bonds (and yes, that includes AVTAK!). Spy just bores me..boring villain, wooden leading lady, I hate the Jaws character, the action is rather bland and the finale is very draggy. The jokey score doesn't help and the humour is nearly as bad as MR which I think is more daft..but more enjoyable! Moore is great and looks sharp..especially in his naval uniform and he obviously was enjoying himself..but it just doesn't do much for me. As a footnote it has one of the best stunt sequences ever in a movie..but the rest of the pts is as dull as the rest!

I don't disagree with any of this, @Mathis1 ...

I do see why many do like it. It's a simple and to the point Bond film. It's one of the earliest I introduced my kids to as well (after GE, which similarly could be said is simple and straight to the point-- which, by the way, is not a criticism).

I just like more meat to my Bond.
    When my son had a friend from class over (they were 10/11), they wanted to watch a Bond film. I picked TSWLM.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    GoldenEye and The Spy Who Loved Me. No contest on either. The other 2 are bottom barrel
    GE easily.

Now the other match is a tough one,as I have TSWLM at #10 and TWINE at #11,so I will vote for the film I would prefer to watch lately :

TWINE (Only by the thinnest of margins,as mentioned above.)
    GE beats FYEO 18-6 (what a scandal!)

TSWLM beats TWINE 23-1

Round 36:

YOLT vs LALD

and

DN vs SP
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    LALD and SP
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    LALD & DN
    Didn't have to think about this one even for a second.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    YOLT and DN
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    YOLT and DN

Agree-although close.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    YOLT and DN for me too.
    Blimey this is an easy round for me :

LALD

&

DN
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    YOLT vs. LALD - LALD with ease. I like YOLT very much and it's a film with fantastic set pieces, a glamorous location backdrop and perhaps the defining Spectre confrontation. However, LALD is just too good for me. Roger firing on all cylinders, a superior villain roster (perhaps one of the best, along with FRWL, OP, TB & GE) and a great score. Most importantly, it's consistently paced throughout and never lags or bores.

SP VS DN - I don't think I need to explain this one. Didn't have to think about it.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    LALD
    DN
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    YOLT and DN for me.
    LALD over YOLT - not a blowout, but still a sure thing.

DN OBLITERATES SP.
    LALD
    DN
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    YOLT and DN.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    YOLT
    DN
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    YOLT and DN
    LALD for sure
    DN but less sure
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    edited May 2018 Posts: 538
    YOLT over LALD (tallest midget) - Not a YOLT fan at all. 2nd least favorite Connery film (in front of the disaster that followed 4 years later). Just like LALD even less. Never got behind the voodoo and the drug dealers. Jane Seymour is a smokeshow though.

DN over SP (not close) - I don't dislike SP the way the board seems. But then again, I'm having a hard time watching it again, so maybe I don't like it that much. DN is much better and that's that.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The first two are a lot tougher than usual. Both YOLT and LALD rank around the same area for me. Just outside the ten. But as much as my appreciation for LALD continues to grow, I'm going to have to give this one to YOLT.
    YOLT over LALD
    The second match up is much easier. I genuinely do enjoy SP, it's a film that has many problems, but like all Bond films, I can find something to enjoy.
    However I rank DN as one of the best in the series. Despite it being the first, it's got so much in it that I love.
    DN over SP.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    LALD
    DN
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    LALD & DN
    YOLT & DN
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    LALD and DN (except for the latter, this is pretty much an exercise in mediocrity).