Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Going with Sir Rog's and the Daltonator's 002nd turns at bat in both matchups:

TMWTGG

and

LTK
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 5,185
    TMWTGG - easy. Roger at his best.
    QoS - very tough. LTK was one of my favorite Bond films growing up, but nowadays i only see the shortcomings. But if i rank them by Bond performance, it's an easy victory for Daniel.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    AVTAK for me. The only thing that TMWTGG would have going for it is Moore's performance which outshines his final appearance by a considerable amount. But yeah that's it.

QoS. Both entries have terrible action sequences. QoS' issue is the execution (editing), whereas the problem with LTK are the ideas themselves. What were they thinking whilst storyboarding the ninja scene or that bar fight?

Dalton's second performance is far worse than in TLD. More of a drop than Connery's FRWL to DAF imho. What makes QoS a decent (read: sufficient) Bond film is solely down to Craig's physicality and tormented sense of guilt/anger that he brings to the role. I also enjoy the smaller scenes in the film - such as the M/Minister discussion or each time Felix pops up.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    TMWTGG > AVTAK Both are some of the worst Bond movies.

LTK > QOS Very close. Both underrated and unique, yet interesting takes on Bond.
    AVTAK
    LTK
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Both entries have terrible action sequences. QoS' issue is the execution (editing), whereas the problem with LTK are the ideas themselves. What were they thinking whilst storyboarding the ninja scene or that bar fight?
    Have you gone utterly mental?

From the moment he shoots Clive to when he flies off ‘like a little bird’ the waterskiing sequence is an absolute tour de force - brilliantly conceived and executed.

The tanker chase isn’t far behind marred only by the inane wheelie and Kamen’s repetitive music is starting to grate by this point.

Yes the ninja fight is bollocks (as is the whole Hong Kong narcotics plot line) but that hardly justifies an accusation of ‘terrible action sequences’.

I dream of getting action sequences as ‘terrible’ as LTKs these days as there’s only the crane jump in CR that comes anywhere near matching them.
    TMWTGG vs AVTAK: Very easy. TMWTGG is a serious contender for worst film in the franchise, going up against a mid-tier entry like AVTAK.

LTK vs QOS: Very difficult. Love both of these films, but LTK's my favorite, so it wins out by default.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Both entries have terrible action sequences. QoS' issue is the execution (editing), whereas the problem with LTK are the ideas themselves. What were they thinking whilst storyboarding the ninja scene or that bar fight?

From the moment he shoots Clive to when he flies off ‘like a little bird’ the waterskiing sequence is an absolute tour de force - brilliantly conceived and executed.

The tanker chase isn’t far behind marred only by the inane wheelie and Kamen’s repetitive music is starting to grate by this point.

Yes the ninja fight is bollocks (as is the whole Hong Kong narcotics plot line) but that hardly justifies an accusation of ‘terrible action sequences’.

I dream of getting action sequences as ‘terrible’ as LTKs these days as there’s only the crane jump in CR that comes anywhere near matching them.

The entire waterskiing sequence actually reminds me of how tepid the film is. Very much like SP.

The tanker chase is decent. It's got many different things going on at the same time and ends with Bond avenging Felix. Nothing extraordinary though.

Oh, come on. Every action sequence in both CR and SF are better than any in LTK. And QoS was at the very least trying. The Brosnan entries do have their fair share of 'lows', but their 'highs' embarrass LTK.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    AVTAK and by the smallest of margins, LTK.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

The entire waterskiing sequence actually reminds me of how tepid the film is. Very much like SP.

The tanker chase is decent. It's got many different things going on at the same time and ends with Bond avenging Felix. Nothing extraordinary though.

Oh, come on. Every action sequence in both CR and SF are better than any in LTK. And QoS was at the very least trying. The Brosnan entries do have their fair share of 'lows', but their 'highs' embarrass LTK.
    I agree on the ninja and bar fights. Pathetic.

However, I think the water skiing and lorry sequences are quite excellent. I must admit that I thought poorly of them when younger but they've really grown on me. There's a sense of danger to both, Dalton seems to be heavily involved in the stunts, and both sequences have classic Bond stamped all over them in the way they are conceptualized, shot and edited.

That shot of Bond coming in from the side on water and grabbing the plane at speed is one of the best in the series imho. Truly brilliant.

With the lorry sequence it's the fact that there's very little CGI which I find compelling. In a way, perhaps the overload of that digitized fake nonsense in later Bond films has made me appreciate what they did in LTK more with time. It's great to see Dalton up there on top of the vehicle (both the lorry and the plane) as it moves at speed for instance.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    AVTAK - This might have been the most difficult choice for me yet. The only thing I find vastly superior in GUN is Moore's performance (and looks, which is a part of that I feel) and that arguably might be the most important factor, but I think I prefer everything else in AVTAK. Plus, I'll always have a nostalgic soft spot for AVTAK as it was my first Bond film in the theater.

QoS - This, on the other hand, was an easy decision. I've always been underwhelmed by LTK. There was a time when it was my least favorite entry (before DAD came along) but I enjoy it a little more these days. However, it's no match for QoS, which I have loved since day one. Many fans seem to have been disappointed by both entries upon release, but have developed a new found appreciation for them throughout the years. I think my feelings toward both have been pretty consistent.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    edited June 2018 Posts: 538
    TMWGG vs. ATVAK (No. 17 vs. No. 16) - Funny that these should be paired together and that I should have them ranked so closely. They are both villain driven stories. Without Lee and Walken, these are probably MR, DAF territory. Despite my ranking, going to see this as dead-even.

LTK vs. QOS (No. 8 vs. No. 14) - LTK like FYEO are underrated gems. Great action. Straightforward plots. Sanchez is great. Action is great. Plot (stinger missiles) meh... Bond meets the 80s shame it took 10 years go there. QoS, I like more than a lot of people. But it's still not a standalone story. Dominic is useless. No one cares about Bolivian water. It's about Spectre (cough, Quantum). Still a good showing from Craig. Just not quite there in the story telling department.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    TMWTGG beats AVTAK by 1/10. Lower midfield beats upper rock bottom.
    LTK is 7/10 for me, just like QOS. But LTK is a bit more fun due to QOS's shitty, annoying editing.
    TMWTGG.
    Love QOS but it's got to be LTK!
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 684
    AVTAK over TMWTGG. Still think the former is better than most give it credit for, though I know many feel the same about the latter.

QOS over LTK. Not a hard choice for me. LTK seems tired. Complete opposite of where Glen started with FYEO.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    TMWTGG over AVTAK
    LTK over QoS
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    TMWTGG with ease.
    LTK with even more ease.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    AVTAK & LTK
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    TMWTGG & LTK

By the way, I do not think that a wheelie is physically possible with a truck like that (the 4 tyres of the rear axles would just turn through). I found it ridiculous already the first time around.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TMWTGG beats AVTAK 13-10

LTK beats QOS 17-7

Round 40:

GF vs LALD

and

TSWLM vs QOS
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    GF & TSWLM
    GF wins comfortably over LALD, but both are highly enjoyable.

TSWLM wins comfortably over QOS, but again, both very good films.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Qos
    GF
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    GF over LALD by miles!

TSWLM over QOS by light years!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    GF over LALD

TSWLM over QOS
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    GF and TSWLM.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    GF and QoS
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 5,185
    This round is very close, but i'll go with GF and QoS.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited June 2018 Posts: 7,314
    I love all four of these films, so there are no easy choices here.

I believe Hamilton's first effort is superior to his follow ups, although LALD is very entertaining. Still, it's GF that comes out on top.

Next up, QoS, while near and dear to my heart, is just no match for all of the iconic moments in TSWLM.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    GF > LALD

Close call here. For me, LALD is more consistent throughout (entertainment-wise), but the first hour of GF contains some of the absolute best moments in the entire series. The PTS alone is a Top 3.

TSWLM > QOS
    I enjoy QOS more than the majority here, but TSWLM is a Top 5 for sure, and Roger's best.