Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GF & QOS
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QBranch wrote: »
    GF > LALD

Close call here. For me, LALD is more consistent throughout (entertainment-wise), but the first hour of GF contains some of the absolute best moments in the entire series. The PTS alone is a Top 3.

TSWLM > QOS
    I enjoy QOS more than the majority here, but TSWLM is a Top 5 for sure, and Roger's best.
    Well, this is a pleasant surprise. Good to see you back, @QBranch !

And my vote is the same.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 13,936
    Good to see you
    Alive, you mean?
    Good to see you
    Alive, you mean?

Regardless, but if you are alive, wow, even better.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    GF vs LALD - Sorry chaps. Despite the apparent delusion in my selection, I've never caught onto GF mania, despite appreciating and respecting the film for the iconic franchise beast that it is. I much prefer Hamilton's third outing in nearly every way. The thing about GF for me is that I believe quite a few elements from it have been done better along the way due to it being a template Bond film which continues to be utilized to extract DNA from.

TSWLM vs QoS - didn't have to think about this one. In fact, some of my favourite scenes from QoS homage the 1977 classic.
    @bondjames
    That's an interesting remark. Which scenes from QOS homage TSWLM, might I ask? Other than throwing a guy from a roof and Bond unintentionally body shielding himself from an incoming bullet, I can't think of much.
    The stroll through the desert.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @bondjames
    That's an interesting remark. Which scenes from QOS homage TSWLM, might I ask? Other than throwing a guy from a roof and Bond unintentionally body shielding himself from an incoming bullet, I can't think of much.
    @DarthDimi, you've certainly noted one. It's not so much the throwing the guy from the roof as much as the deliberate manner in which the scene evokes TSWLM via the grab (this time of jacket instead of tie), & Bond's flick.

The other obvious ones are Camille and Bond in the desert (Bond suited up similarly no less and she in a dark glossy number) and of course "R. Sterling", which always brings a smile to my face.

I'm sure there are arguments that can be made that these are all coincidences, particularly from fans of the film. I disagree and believe they were deliberate, as was the GF one.

That's how I felt in the theatre upon first viewing and that's how I feel now. They were other ways these scenes could have been presented if they didn't intend to remind us diehard fans of TSWLM.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,549
    Okay, glad I asked, @bondjames. Puts me in the mood to watch TSWLM again. :) I can see the similarities now. I was thinking of other things too.

- Italy as a location.
    - Confronting someone more or less responsible for the death of a loved one.
    (Yeah, I'm fishing now. ;))
    - Attending an open-air show of sorts.
    - Bond breaks the door handle in QOS, Jaws bites through some chains in TWSLM.

Like I said, I'm fishing.

One thing I've always found intriguing, and that's just my weird mind, is this:

Atop the opera building, there's a number. (Look in the middle of the pic:

1000?cb=20160409155845

That number is the speed of light.

Light can be split in different colours. We call that: the spectrum of light, after the Latin word for SPECTRE. (See what I'm hinting at?) Furthermore, the best model we have for light, comes from QUANTUM physics. (I'm probably reading too much into this now...) ... except that the first quantum mechanical model of the atom was arrived at via the combustion of hydrogen gas, which is exactly what sets the Dune Hotel on fire. Lastly, the colour GREEN has a wavelength of 486 nanometers is the emission spectrum of hydrogen. Add these numbers, and you obtain 18, which is exactly the molecular mass of WATER, the very thing Greene and Quantum are after. :D

Sorry... I have sleepless nights too. ;)
    Haha @DarthDimi, I'm impressed by all the possible connections you may have found. One can argue that everything is ultimately connected after all, so who knows? You may be onto something, although I'll admit that most of that completely went over my head!

I will say though that my simple mind sometimes thinks of the bike in TSWLM when the Alfa flies off the cliff in the PTS. That's me doing a little bit of fishing now.
    GF and QOS
    LALD
    QOS
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    LALD over GF
    TSWLM over QoS
    LALD (close one) and TSWLM (not so close of one)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    GF and TSWLM
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Okay, glad I asked, @bondjames. Puts me in the mood to watch TSWLM again. :) I can see the similarities now. I was thinking of other things too.

- Italy as a location.
    - Confronting someone more or less responsible for the death of a loved one.
    (Yeah, I'm fishing now. ;))
    - Attending an open-air show of sorts.
    - Bond breaks the door handle in QOS, Jaws bites through some chains in TWSLM.

Like I said, I'm fishing.

One thing I've always found intriguing, and that's just my weird mind, is this:

Atop the opera building, there's a number. (Look in the middle of the pic:

1000?cb=20160409155845

That number is the speed of light.

Light can be split in different colours. We call that: the spectrum of light, after the Latin word SPECTRE. (See what I'm hinting at?) Furthermore, the best model we have for light, comes from QUANTUM physics. (I'm probably reading too much into this now...) ... except that the first quantum mechanical model of the atom was arrived at via the combustion of hydrogen gas, which is exactly what sets the Dune Hotel on fire. Lastly, the colour GREEN has a wavelength of 486 nanometers is the emission spectrum of hydrogen. Add these numbers, and you obtain 18, which is exactly the molecular mass of WATER, the very thing Greene and Quantum are after. :D

Sorry... I have sleepless nights too. ;)

I don’t want to be an ass @DarthDimi but the linguist in me has to correct you there. The Latin word is also spectrum ;)

Spectre is a French word, which could be used both as the word for ghost or as the word for spectrum as in spectrum of light. In that last case it would be le spectre de la lumière.

Anyway, on topic, I’d choose GF and TSWLM.
    @GoldenGun
    You're right. Silly me. I forgot to write "for". The Latin word for spectre. ;)
  • NSGWNSGW London
    GF (#3) v LALD (#12)

TSWLM (#6) v QOS (#13)
    GF beats LALD 17-4

TSWLM beats QOS 15-6

We haven t had TLD on this thread yet,so here it comes.

Round 41:

DAF vs TLD

and

OP vs TWINE
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    TLD (top 5) > DAF (bottom 5) - Easy win for TLD, but I've really grown to love DAF.
    OP > TWINE (both in the bottom 10) - Just realized how similar both PTS's are: Bond goes undercover, followed by a chase involving a target seeking projectile & Bond in a Q vehicle.
    TLD (top 5) > DAF (bottom 5) - Easy win for TLD, but I've really grown to love DAF.
    OP > TWINE (both in the bottom 10) - Just realized how similar both PTS's are: Bond goes undercover, followed by a chase involving a target seeking projectile & Bond in a Q vehicle.

Well said, agree with this verdict. Except the top/bottom five bit.
    DAF

&

OP
    DAF vs TLD - it's close, but I have to give it to the earlier film. Much more fun for me from start to finish.

OP vs. TWINE - severe thrashing imho
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    TLD over DAF easily.
    OP and TWINE are both among my bottom five or six, but only DAD is worse than TWINE, so I'll have to take sides with OP for once.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    TLD and OP for me.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    edited June 2018 Posts: 538
    TLD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DAF
    OP>TWINE
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TLD over DAF

TWINE over OP
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    TLD
    OP
    TLD over DAF very easily.

OP beats TWINE but not quite as significantly.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    DAF and OP.

These were recorded on the same VHS tape back in 2000 from the TBS marathon