No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I doubt we’ll learn anything about Bond next week honestly. I too still have my fears about the Nov. 2019 release date. This news about Barber has increased those fears.

I wouldn’t worry too much, but there is a possibility of a delay sadly. I think if they can start working on the film by year’s end or even early next year they can make Nov. 2019 happen.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am just sick of all this MGM stuff - as if there isn't enough things theses days that hold up the production of Bond films. Craig could be preparing his 7th instead of 5th Bond movie just easily these days.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Bond developing a heroin addiction would be quite radical!

24 did that already with Jack Bauer. It was also done with Hutch in Starsky and Hutch, which in turn was a rip from The French Connection.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Something always gets in the way. If it wasn't the writers strike, or the distributor, it something else.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Nevermind
    What a wonderful film title for the heroin drama!

As long as they meet a 2020 deadline, that's fine. Just get it made, or move on with a new actor. One or the other.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited March 2018 Posts: 2,138
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    With barber gone you can say goodbye to that 2019 release date unfortunately

Haha! No. Bond is one of if not thee biggest earner for MGM if anything it may see more frequency of films post Craig. Funding will be in place. Sony's one movie deal for distribution is most likely what has been taken up, and as with all Craig's tenure films Sony has put up a majority of the cash. I think EON will know their budget and that Barbers removal will not effect Bond 25's production Timeline in any way.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dennison wrote: »

24 did that already with Jack Bauer. It was also done with Hutch in Starsky and Hutch, which in turn was a rip from The French Connection.
    The only difference is that Bond isn't those. Also, in Starsky & Hutch, it wasn't Hutch's fault he became addicted. They knocked him down and forced him to be a "junkie" which he was not.

The only difference is that Bond isn't those. Also, in Starsky & Hutch, it wasn't Hutch's fault he became addicted. They knocked him down and forced him to be a "junkie" which he was not.

Didn't say anything to the contrary old chap.
    New developments:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gary-barber-why-mgm-ceo-was-fired-1096079
    garybarber_graphic_copy_-_h_2018.jpg

Supposedly, Eon refused to work with Barber and often clashed with him.

Some people on this forum surprise me. They seem to lack any sense of business acumen.

Bond 25 is definitely coming in 2019. MGM is a business and it needs to establish revenue. Bond is a huge source of that revenue. Production decisions can be made by Eon and creative decisions are led by Boyle (if he gets the job). The studio still have the money and the added incentive to deliver in time to please shareholders.

If anything, next week's shareholders meeting will be a perfect time to pivot away the Barber ousting and announce a Annapurna/Warner Bros deal for Bond & MGM.

It's business as usual at MGM.
    Reminds me of the time Kirk Kerkorian (the then-owner of MGM) was in conflict with Eon, and particularly Michael G. Wilson, when Tomorrow Never Dies was in the planning stages.
    New developments:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gary-barber-why-mgm-ceo-was-fired-1096079

Some people on this forum surprise me. They seem to lack any sense of business acumen.

Bond 25 is definitely coming in 2019. MGM is a business and it needs to establish revenue. Bond is a huge source of that revenue. Production decisions can be made by Eon and creative decisions are led by Boyle (if he gets the job). The studio still have the money and the added incentive to deliver in time to please shareholders.

If anything, next week's shareholders meeting will be a perfect time to pivot away the Barber ousting and announce a Annapurna/Warner Bros deal for Bond & MGM.

Yes, we all hope 2019 is still viable, but without a distributor they can't progress.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,686
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    And if they are behind schedule, I imagine Showtime will be none to please. I for one was looking forward to 'Purity', and wonder now, where that is on the priority list.

Purity will most likely not be filmed until late 2020/early 2021, depending on whether Craig takes a break (and how long it'll be) once he finishes filming/promoting Bond 25.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    What’s worse?
    The idea for vesper to have had a child
    Or
    The idea that Blofeld is bonds step brother

The first.

I can't imagine you are serious about that one!
    New developments:

Could it be that this Hollywoodreporter it's just the Internet equivalent of the Tattler? I am having a hard time to believe that the CEO of a hedge fund of that size is firing a top man of one of its branches just because he supposedly didn't get along well with EON.
    Also, aren't they the outfit that supposedly confirmed the news with Boyle directing? At the risk of repeating myself I don't believe anything of it. Why, you ask? Well I just can't believe that news of that size wouldn't stay unreported by all those other news outfits on the planet. And -surprise,surprise - none of them did. At least those I frequently adhere to. Also, since they are not in the habit to finance their movies themselves I just can't see how they could make that far reaching decisions without even having a new distributor/investor. The way I see it (and I'm sure many will hate me for it ) apart from P&W there's no one signed yet at all.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    And if they are behind schedule, I imagine Showtime will be none to please. I for one was looking forward to 'Purity', and wonder now, where that is on the priority list.

Purity will most likely not be filmed until late 2020/early 2021, depending on whether Craig takes a break (and how long it'll be) once he finishes filming/promoting Bond 25.

He generally seems to take a break after each film, but if it is his last maybe he will jump straight into something else, take his mind off what was, and ride out the last of the Bond boost and hope it propels 'Purity'.

The Showtime CEO said in August 2017 that Bond 25 may not shoot until 2019. So he either knows something, or there's been a discussion or plan put in place.

https://hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/daniel-craig-drama-purity-wont-air-showtime-bond-1027904
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    One doesn't just oust a CEO without a replacement lined up unless there are serious differences. Particularly when his contract was just renewed a few months ago.

There is a lot happening behind the scenes that we don't know about. I'm quite certain of this. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this is linked to B25 as well. Right now it's unnamed cowards spewing contradictory and salacious gossip to the media, as is the norm these days. Eventually, and most likely in a couple of years, we'll get the truth.

From what I can glean from the various articles, UIrich and the Board wanted more rapid growth of the film division, and Barber had been unable to deliver that as of late. The TV division run by Burnett has grown by leaps and bounds while the film division has languished. It's basically a one trick pony relying on James Bond for its revenue. On top of that, they've failed to get the next film out in time, with dilly dallying and delays (as we all know). I can only imagine that the Board wants that film out pronto, which is good for fans. It's a massive revenue generator for the film division and can help to boost other business channels including Epix streaming.

MGM has reportedly offered up a one picture distribution deal for B25 and not exclusive rights for multiple future films (perhaps due to business uncertainties). That isn't a good deal for the studios because they would have to come back and rebid again next time. The articles point out that Barber was a very hard negotiator. It's possible that MGM/EON were trying to hold onto their fat profit margin for just a one picture deal and this could have perpetuated a delay. I'd imagine with his ouster MGM will move quite quickly to lock down a distributor by offering more goodies.

This change is likely to speed things up rather than slow it down imho.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    bondjames wrote: »
    One doesn't just oust a CEO without a replacement lined up unless there are serious differences. Particularly when his contract was just renewed a few months ago.

There is a lot happening behind the scenes that we don't know about. I'm quite certain of this. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this is linked to B25 as well. Right now it's unnamed cowards spewing contradictory and salacious gossip to the media, as is the norm these days. Eventually, and most likely in a couple of years, we'll get the truth.

From what I can glean from the various articles, UIrich and the Board wanted more rapid growth of the film division, and Barber had been unable to deliver that as of late. The TV division run by Burnett has grown by leaps and bounds while the film division has languished. It's basically a one trick pony relying on James Bond for its revenue. On top of that, they've failed to get the next film out in time, with dilly dallying and delays (as we all know). I can only imagine that the Board wants that film out pronto, which is good for fans. It's a massive revenue generator for the film division and can help to boost other business channels including Epix streaming.

MGM has reportedly offered up a one picture distribution deal for B25 and not exclusive rights for multiple future films (perhaps due to business uncertainties). That isn't a good deal for the studios because they would have to come back and rebid again next time. The articles point out that Barber was a very hard negotiator. It's possible that MGM/EON were trying to hold onto their fat profit margin for just a one picture deal and this could have perpetuated a delay. I'd imagine with his ouster MGM will move quite quickly to lock down a distributor by offering more goodies.

This change is likely to speed things up rather than slow it down imho.

That's a relief to hear hopefully they will lock down the international distributor very soon
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,115

Also, The French Connection II, where Popeye Doyle was captured and made into an addict.
  • New developments:

Could it be that this Hollywoodreporter it's just the Internet equivalent of the Tattler? I am having a hard time to believe that the CEO of a hedge fund of that size is firing a top man of one of its branches just because he supposedly didn't get along well with EON.
    Also, aren't they the outfit that supposedly confirmed the news with Boyle directing? At the risk of repeating myself I don't believe anything of it. Why, you ask? Well I just can't believe that news of that size wouldn't stay unreported by all those other news outfits on the planet. And -surprise,surprise - none of them did. At least those I frequently adhere to. Also, since they are not in the habit to finance their movies themselves I just can't see how they could make that far reaching decisions without even having a new distributor/investor. The way I see it (and I'm sure many will hate me for it ) apart from P&W there's no one signed yet at all.

The Hollywood Reporter confirmed that Boyle was doing the musical film first. Variety and Deadline: Hollywood had Boyle in the picture to direct Bond 25. Then, Bamiboye reported all of the above was true.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    New developments:

He sure has a big head. Is it a condition?

Also, The French Connection II, where Popeye Doyle was captured and made into an addict.

I meant French Connection II
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Another example, Sherlock Holmes.
    Sherlock Holmes was an addict on his own, though. Doyle and Hutch were both forced to the habit, which they never actually embodied.
    Sherlock Holmes was an addict on his own, though. Doyle and Hutch were both forced to the habit, which they never actually embodied.

And Jack Bauer became one in order to go undercover.
    And Jack Bauer became one in order to go undercover.
    I believe so, yes. But, is it really necessary for Bond to go down that route? I personally find the aspect unattractive for a Bond story.
    I would hate that if Bond ever did it.
    He doesn't need to do that,he can just beat information out of any junkie or dealer.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    +3.

I realize it's possible that some on the current team may be tempted to go down this kind of path in order to provide some acting meat for a 'high' (pun intended). I hope they resist any urge. Let's just have a well crafted straight mission this time around please.
    Agreed. And it's about time Bond goes out on a simple mission, again.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I doubt Boyle would go down this road as Trainspotting is obviously tied to him and he prefers always doing different things