Your favourite US President ....and why ?

edited February 2018 in General Discussion Posts: 19,339
For me ..it's FDR ...he knew the situation Britain was in,during WWII ,and that we stood alone against Germany,Italy and Japan,and did his all to help my country.

For me,God bless this man,a hero in my eyes,and always will be.

Your President ?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Jimmy Carter. A good man. Apparently too good for the office. Not prepared for the shark infested waters, but look where he is today. Be like Jimmy Carter.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't have a favorite, but Bill Clinton and Barack Obama would be up there.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I liked the one who hunted vampires ;)
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited February 2018 Posts: 3,675
    I'ma cast a vote for Reagan. Or JFK. Or FDR... you know what? Too many to choose from. But those are my top ones.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Some presidents have had far greater adventures...
    0a9551792339520053093f78a61fbd78.jpg
    I'ma cast a vote for Reagan. Or JFK. Or FDR... you know what? Too many to choose from. But those are my top ones.

Excellent choices, especially Reagan.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 3,675
    STAR WARS!!!

That image though. It's kinda true!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Some presidents have had far greater adventures...
    0a9551792339520053093f78a61fbd78.jpg

1a0167e892aaf78af0bd546c929b7ec7.jpg

I did not know Clinton was a Lycanthrope

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Man, they even got the saxophone.
    I don’t hold any on a pedestal, but some I rate highly: Lincoln, FDR, Eisenhower, JFK, and Reagan.

My least favorites are easier: James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Herbert Hoover, Bill Clinton, George Bush Jr., and Donald Trump. There are many other bad ones too but those make me groan a lot.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,104
    There is one of G.W.

george-w-bush-top-gun-fighter-pilot-12-1-6-scale-limited-edition-action-figure-8f95db55910c7198e92f33f67b13f3ec.jpg

:))

FoxRox wrote: »
    I don’t hold any on a pedestal, but some I rate highly: Lincoln, FDR, Eisenhower, JFK, and Reagan.
    Reagan was a fool, and a puppet of others. See: Iran/Contra. He also began the destruction of the American middle class. He meant well, but he wasn't that bright. At all. Still, Don makes him look smart...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Reagan was a fool, and a puppet of others. See: Iran/Contra. He also began the destruction of the American middle class. He meant well, but he wasn't that bright. At all. Still, Don makes him look smart...

I notice Democrats love to use every chance they get to tear down Reagan. I assumed you could be one due to the hate for Reagan and love for Carter (who I don’t hate). I know he wasn’t perfect, but Reagan did good things, and he actually used optimism to help lead the country rather than Trump’s pessimistic approach (I hate the Reagan/Trump comparisons). Reagan loved America. Trump loves Trump.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

Mine as well. Plenty of things I disagreed with them on but respectable nonetheless.

Definitely good picks there.

Like I said though, unfortunately, it's easier for me to pick out my least favorites. This article includes some stuff I dislike about the popular Bill Clinton:

https://listverse.com/2014/02/05/10-reasons-bill-clinton-was-secretly-a-terrible-president/
    I notice Democrats love to use every chance they get to tear down Reagan.
    Not a Democrat. Just an observer of all the foolishness. Not a fan of Bill, BTW.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I notice Democrats love to use every chance they get to tear down Reagan.
    Not a Democrat. Just an observer of all the foolishness. Not a fan of Bill, BTW.

That’s fair. I’m a strong independent you could say. Didn’t want to say for sure. I probably lean Democrat a little but both sides make me sick. Glad to see another who doesn’t like Bill; refreshing.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    This thread is going to go so out of control so soon. It’s literally a ticking time bomb
    This thread is going to go so out of control so soon. It’s literally a ticking time bomb

Naturally - like any other political thread anywhere else on the entire internet. But they'll keep on existing anyway so why worry.
    :D
    :D

The face of Reagan!
    Haha, yes.
    While I'd agree with those who say FDR was the greatest president of say the last 100 years, I'll go with Washington. I suppose I base my opinion largely on the man and his actions before he became president, so maybe my "vote" would be disallowed. But what a massive undertaking that was at the start of this new nation, with Washington as General and Commander-in-chief of the Continental Army--during that time, I think of his leadership, wisdom, vision and daring. Talk about long odds--but they were bound to create a new and free nation. And he presided over the Congress that formed the Constitution.

Then as president, he's been the only president to win all the Electoral College votes...served two terms...then gave it all up, though he was apparently so popular he could've become king. Also interestingly, in his farewell presidential address, he warned against the dangers inherent in competing political parties (which were just starting in the U.S. at the time), concerned that they could fracture the union.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    We should have a presidents elimination game
    We should have a presidents elimination game

That would be hilarious, good fun!
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,104

UK members will remember this.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 684
    The old cliche: Lincoln and Washington. Granted when you look into any human being, the myths propping them up are bound to collapse to some extent. But there's a reason that legend elevates these two more than the rest, the effects of their service being felt daily by generations living hundreds of years later. Lincoln was perhaps the better fit for the actual office of the Presidency, but I think it's fair to judge Washington (and so every President) in terms of overall service to his country.

Like Washington, there are certain Presidents I find more interesting outside of office. Jefferson, for instance. I'm not sure he was great at the job itself, but I think by a large margin he had the most interesting philosophy of the "founding fathers" and was himself a super interesting guy. Teddy Roosevelt, too — a madman but his vigor can still infect a hundred years on.

I don't think there's been a great President since FDR. WWII changed everything. EDIT: I also agree with those who say Carter was sort of too good for the office, and that LBJ had a nice highlight reel domestically but the Vietnam stuff drags him back to the muck.

Most under-appreciated is possibly Chester A. Arthur. But then again he's the most obscure President that I know most about. That's the thing: there's a large swathe of these guys that go completely unregarded. That might be down to their being unremarkable themselves, but it also might simply be that the world didn't need them to rise up to it in the same way as the Lincolns and Washingtons.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Birdleson wrote: »

UK members will remember this.

We saw that in the US, as well.

Great song.
    Strog wrote: »
    ...there are certain Presidents I find more interesting outside of office. Jefferson, for instance...Most under-appreciated is possibly Chester A. Arthur... there's a large swathe of these guys that go completely unregarded. That might be down to their being unremarkable themselves, but it also might simply be that the world didn't need them to rise up to it in the same way as the Lincolns and Washingtons.
    Totally right about Jefferson! The main author of the Declaration of Independence, and fairly interesting religious views. About Arthur, you know better than I...I should refresh my knowledge of former presidents. And you make a great point about the ones history recalls less.
  • neonmartinineonmartini Classified
    JFK
This discussion has been closed.