No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    As far as Americans go, I'm a big proponent of Ron Howard. He knows how to handle a big budget entry and keep it entertaining while still injecting some heart.

Branagh can be good in either villain or directorial capacity. Something tells me he would also take it with a recast though.
    Kenneth Branagh's reaction should he be asked to direct:
    giphy.gif
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2018 Posts: 4,554
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I don't think Danny Boyle would ever do Bond.
    But would Bond ever "do" Danny Boyle? :-?
    What makes you think it's his first time? ;)

So a few posts earlier, you bitched about the "auteur" approach and then just quoted one of those "auteur" films. Classic. The first rule about bashing SF is that you don't get to quote SF. LOL j/k
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Danny Boyle would be a great director for a down-to-earth Bond film with an older Craig. Love the few films I've seen him direct, love his style. Steve Jobs and Slum were on point.
  • Interesting development….

When I first saw the headline today, I thought I was the typical crap some tabloid would come up with. Since Slumdog came out, Danny Boyle has been rumoured for every subsequent Bond film. The fact that THIS was evidently the story that Justin Kroll wanted to drop yesterday, makes it much more credible.

Personally, I don’t think Boyle’s style is suited to Bond. It’s a tad manic, ill-disciplined and frenetic. He was an edgy filmmaker in the 90s. But I think we’re all a bit over glowsticks and Underworld soundtracks….

I found Yann Demange to be a far more dynamic and exciting choice. I’m a little gutted that EON had to go back to plundering the depths of the A-list again. The selection of Danny Boyle feels like a decision made solely to placate Craig. He’s a little too irrelevant for my tastes. Having said that I did really enjoy the Steve Jobs film when it came out. I’m just underwhelmed. If they wanted an A-lister, what’s wrong with Steve McQueen?

I'm surprised that these folks can't seem to shut down leaks on the creative end. We've heard all these rumours over the past year and it's becoming a bit embarrassing.

The business end is so much better at keeping a lid on gossip (not a peep about the distributor).
  • BT3366 wrote: »
    I am glad. Was somewhat petrified that we were going to get an American. Looks like Eon still has their wits about them.

Everybody who feels similar to this, please help me understand: This series was brought to the screen by American and Canadian producers; the current producers are American. Several of the screenwriters have been American. There have been American influences in other areas.

What is the X factor that makes a British director so much more qualified to do a Bond film than an American or any number of other nationalities?

The money is funneled by Americans. Not creative decisions.

An American director will not be able to bring to the screen the elegance and class of the sorts of elitist chaps Bond often has to hang out with. Dress, outfits, body language, food, drink and general culture American directors know nothing about. And that is what separates Bond from the rest of the pack.

Maibaum, Mankiewicz and Feirstein were Americans and wrote scripts (creative decisions).

• edited February 2018 Posts: 9,767
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm surprised that these folks can't seem to shut down leaks on the creative end. We've heard all these rumours over the past year and it's becoming a bit embarrassing.

The business end is so much better at keeping a lid on gossip (not a peep about the distributor).

Rumors keep hype going I am 95% sure all the major studios leak a few thing here and there to keep fans excited

That being said if it is Boyle I vaguely recall liking 28 days latter and would be ok with him to be honest

And happy and glorious is an ok short bond film
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Risico007 wrote: »

Rumors keep hype going I am 95% sure all the major studios leak a few thing here and there to keep fans excited

That being said if it is Boyle I vaguely recall liking 28 days latter and would be ok with him to be honest

True, but it's just that at the rate they're going it will appear that whoever gets the job wasn't the first choice. That is already a bit deflating. After all, we all know now that Craig preferred Villeneuve. I still can't understand why he talked about discussions with the Bond crew, thereby validating those claims. He should have just said "no comment", kept it theoretical (like Nolan), or deflected.

I'm not familiar with Boyle's work, but at this stage, I'd just rather they get on with it, no matter who it is.
    Risico007 wrote: »

True, but it's just that at the rate they're going it will appear that whoever gets the job wasn't the first choice. That is already a bit deflating. After all, we all know now that Craig preferred Villeneuve. I still can't understand why he talked about discussions with the Bond crew, thereby validating those claims. He should have just said "no comment", kept it theoretical (like Nolan), or deflected.

I'm not familiar with Boyle's work, but at this stage, I'd just rather they get on with it, no matter who it is.

Agreed !!

• OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I'm really wondering what the Big News that Barbara Brocoli hinted at was - I thought there was supposed to be an announcement in January?
    I'm really wondering what the Big News that Barbara Brocoli hinted at was - I thought there was supposed to be an announcement in January?
    She only said that they hoped to have something for us on the director by the early part of this year. Folks took that as a definite, and it was anything but.
    She only said that they hoped to have something for us on the director by the early part of this year. Folks took that as a definite, and it was anything but.

When did she make that comment?

In Nov 2017. Here's a link:

The operative word is "hopefully".

We are still only in the 2nd month of the year too. The Danny Boyle rumours are worrying if true - wasting more time trying to woo someone who isn't remotely interested in directing a Bond film.

She didn't say which year.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Interesting development….

When I first saw the headline today, I thought I was the typical crap some tabloid would come up with. Since Slumdog came out, Danny Boyle has been rumoured for every subsequent Bond film. The fact that THIS was evidently the story that Justin Kroll wanted to drop yesterday, makes it much more credible.

Personally, I don’t think Boyle’s style is suited to Bond. It’s a tad manic, ill-disciplined and frenetic. He was an edgy filmmaker in the 90s. But I think we’re all a bit over glowsticks and Underworld soundtracks….

I found Yann Demange to be a far more dynamic and exciting choice. I’m a little gutted that EON had to go back to plundering the depths of the A-list again. The selection of Danny Boyle feels like a decision made solely to placate Craig. He’s a little too irrelevant for my tastes. Having said that I did really enjoy the Steve Jobs film when it came out. I’m just underwhelmed. If they wanted an A-lister, what’s wrong with Steve McQueen?

I also believe that the circumstances around this story are important to consider. The fact that Mr. Kroll hyped up the delivery of this story for days. He also provided some defense to his original story stating "where there is smoke there is fire" leads me to believe the Danny Boyle is more than just at the top of the list. It would signal to me that there is a plan to go hard after him and to use an oft qouted movie line "make him an offer he can't refuse". Mr. Kroll also seems to insinuate that Boyle has changed his mind about directing a Bond film and that the interest is mutual.
    vzok wrote: »

She didn't say which year.
    Haha. It's a scary thought actually.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Is Danny Boyle just another Sam mendes type choice
    Might as well just get back Mendes for one more, if the script is decent I think he can make something as good as skyfall
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

Wow, I completely forgot about that tweet. Maybe things aren’t as far along as some of us initially thought.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,272

Hadn't seen that tweet - thanks for posting! "Hopefully" is such a vague word, too. She sure isn't giving much away there.

Is Danny Boyle just another Sam mendes type choice

He is to me. I did say I'd be fine with any choice that wasn't Mendes, but Boyle doesn't get me excited and optimistic, either.
  • Branagh. Please let it be Branagh. Although Murder On The Orient Express was merely another ok adaptation, it was one of the best looking movies I saw in 2017 and was brilliantly directed. Mostly, I want Deakins back as DP. He is a true genius. As for Danny Boyle? Why not. All his movies look great and he can handle big projects and gets great performances from his cast, and Daniel will want to work very closely with his director to get everything just right.
  • How can it be a brilliantly directed, if it's just another OK adaption?
    I personally loved the cinematography in Spectre more than in Skyfall. I find Spectre to be a very stunning and beautiful shot movie.

Whoever the director will be I hope he/she will maintain the cinematic look and pace like in Spectre/Skyfall/Connery movies. No blurry quick "I cannot see what's going on" editing like in QoS.

I wish John Glen could come back.
    Glen was a very good Bond director. Of all the ones who did more than one, he’s my favorite after Young and Campbell. Honestly at this point I’d be open to Forster coming back, but I know it won’t happen. I’d rather see him get a second chance than Mendes getting a third.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Branagh. Please let it be Branagh. Although Murder On The Orient Express was merely another ok adaptation, it was one of the best looking movies I saw in 2017 and was brilliantly directed. Mostly, I want Deakins back as DP. He is a true genius. As for Danny Boyle? Why not. All his movies look great and he can handle big projects and gets great performances from his cast, and Daniel will want to work very closely with his director to get everything just right.

Regarding Branagh:
    The film will have to star himself as bond wont it?
    ;)
    What people seem to be missing continually here with director suggestions is Craig.

His stamp has been all over the series since CR, and he makes the call on the director, or at least has significant input and influence. I don't see him prioritizing or preferring an action oriented journeyman Glen/Campbell type. Far from it.