No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    Do these people even have a distributor yet? I guess we'll have to wait for the MGM call before we get anything concrete.

Nov. 12, 2017: Deadline: Hollywood reports the MGM-Annapurna distribution joint venture is “thisclose” to wrapping up a deal to distribute Bond 25 in the United States.

Nov. 14, 2017: On an investor call, Gary Barber, CEO of MGM, says the Bond 25 distribution issue isn’t resolved. “Distribution plans for Bond 25 still have not been announced and we are continuing discussions with a variety of potential partners,” he said. “We look forward to sharing more details on Bond 25 on future calls.”

Nothing since. What's aggravating is since Deadline went to the trouble of doing a story, you'd think they'd be motivated enough to check back on it.
    Annapurna allegedly but I think that’s an awful idea because you don’t want a small company handling a monster production like bond.
    It’s suicide.
    But they don’t like sharing profits with the distributions because they are greedy so....
    To be technical, it would be a joint venture between MGM and Annapurna, not Annapurna by itself.
    Thanks. I do think that next MGM investor call is going to be critical to getting answers. If they still don't have anything to report, then I would start to worry about them being able to hit the release date.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Do these people even have a distributor yet? I guess we'll have to wait for the MGM call before we get anything concrete.

Nov. 12, 2017: Deadline: Hollywood reports the MGM-Annapurna distribution joint venture is “thisclose” to wrapping up a deal to distribute Bond 25 in the United States.

Nov. 14, 2017: On an investor call, Gary Barber, CEO of MGM, says the Bond 25 distribution issue isn’t resolved. “Distribution plans for Bond 25 still have not been announced and we are continuing discussions with a variety of potential partners,” he said. “We look forward to sharing more details on Bond 25 on future calls.”

Nothing since. What's aggravating is since Deadline went to the trouble of doing a story, you'd think they'd be motivated enough to check back on it.
    Annapurna allegedly but I think that’s an awful idea because you don’t want a small company handling a monster production like bond.
    It’s suicide.
    But they don’t like sharing profits with the distributions because they are greedy so....
    To be technical, it would be a joint venture between MGM and Annapurna, not Annapurna by itself.
    Thanks. I do think that next MGM investor call is going to be critical to getting answers. If they still don't have anything to report, then I would start to worry about them being able to hit the release date.

Should be in March, though I don't have a specific date.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    edited February 2018 Posts: 568

It’s suicide.

Sorry didn't fully read the message chain
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 3,126
    I wonder what day in march the investor call?

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I should wager on these things.

KINGS. Oh, it happens in 1992.

Until I saw that I was thinking OO7 was seeing what Jinx was up to, and got drawn into her domestic issues and challenges. At least it would be outside the UK.

Much earlier, that BO-TOX poster. Really ripe for an O-O-7 using the Os.
    Good. Having the main Bond girl return is a near-guaranteed mistake. It just isn’t supposed to happen.
    It could have worked easily if she had made an overall positive impression on viewers. Such was not the case, in general.
  • Bentley007 wrote: »

It’s suicide.

Sorry didn't fully read the message chain

Next MGM investor call will be sometime in March. Maybe there's Bond 25 news. Maybe not. Call will discuss fourth-quarter and full-year 2017 financial results.
    Danny Boyle high on the list.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 3,126
    Apparently he has been on their radar before spectre and skyfall http://variety.com/2018/film/news/james-bond-25-danny-boyle-director-1202705314/
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Now we're talking...
    I am glad. Was somewhat petrified that we were going to get an American. Looks like Eon still has their wits about them.
    So much undecided. Us Bond fans deserve better. Back in the 60s they were dished out 6 films in 7 years!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    So much undecided. Us Bond fans deserve better. Back in the 60s they were dished out 6 films in 7 years!

True. Now we're down to 3 films in 10 years and at the rate they're going, the next decade will most likely be down to only 2 films.
    I'm a little more optimistic about the future, because there will almost certainly be some fundamental changes within the next five years, not least a new actor but also probably a new leadership and ownership structure at MGM (50% owner). That should kickstart things because they will want to capitalize on their most valuable product offering.

As an aside, if that article above is to be believed, I'd be pretty peeved if I was Yann Demange. Here he has been, ready to go for the last 8 months or so, and all everyone has been apparently doing is going around looking for someone more famous to do the job.
    Let's just hope the changes do not filter through a social justice lens. Given Barbara's general interests, it wouldn't shock one to see feminism and diversity creep into these films.
    I am glad. Was somewhat petrified that we were going to get an American. Looks like Eon still has their wits about them.

Everybody who feels similar to this, please help me understand: This series was brought to the screen by American and Canadian producers; the current producers are American. Several of the screenwriters have been American. There have been American influences in other areas.

What is the X factor that makes a British director so much more qualified to do a Bond film than an American or any number of other nationalities?
    Let's just hope the changes do not filter through a social justice lens. Given Barbara's general interests, it wouldn't shock one to see feminism and diversity creep into these films.
    To an extent it already has. I don't have a problem with diversity within the Bond universe, as long as it's reflective of reality and not too heavy handed or blatant (witness the last SW film for instances of it just being too overt in a box ticking 'take me out of the film' manner, at least for me).

Feminism has already creeped in too. I'd argue that Dench's M was certainly a feminist. Again, I don't have a problem with it, as long as Bond is still allowed to be Bond, warts and all.
    I'm a little more optimistic about the future, because there will almost certainly be some fundamental changes within the next five years, not least a new actor but also probably a new leadership and ownership structure at MGM (50% owner). That should kickstart things because they will want to capitalize on their most valuable product offering.

As an aside, if that article above is to be believed, I'd be pretty peeved if I was Yann Demange. Here he has been, ready to go for the last 8 months or so, and all everyone has been apparently doing is going around looking for someone more famous to do the job.

I certainly hope a distribution deal for MGM gives EON it's second wind, and more motivation to bring Bond back as a continuing series rather than an occasional to rare event.
    BT3366 wrote: »

Everybody who feels similar to this, please help me understand: This series was brought to the screen by American and Canadian producers; the current producers are American. Several of the screenwriters have been American. There have been American influences in other areas.

What is the X factor that makes a British director so much more qualified to do a Bond film than an American or any number of other nationalities?

Thank you. As I've said earlier, not every American director is named Michael Bay. As long as they're talented and respect the character, an American would not be the worst thing to ever happen
    What I find promising about this news is that Annapurna does not want to settle in regards to BOND25. Hopefully that means we will see a great and quality Bond film.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I certainly hope a distribution deal for MGM gives EON it's second wind, and more motivation to bring Bond back as a continuing series rather than an occasional to rare event.
    Unfortunately a one film distribution deal (as has been reported) for B25 is unlikely to change anything. Rather, I believe it is the eventual IPO or sale of MGM which will create the necessary impetus for change. Once MGM is on firmer financial footing with greater ability to tap financial markets or a wealthy owner, then we will see a more relentless drive for frequent Bond films. Having an actor who is motivated and doesn't need long breaks will also facilitate this.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Unfortunately a one film distribution deal (as has been reported) for B25 is unlikely to change anything. Rather, I believe it is the eventual IPO or sale of MGM which will create the necessary impetus for change. Once MGM is on firmer financial footing with greater ability to tap financial markets or a wealthy owner, then we will see a more relentless drive for frequent Bond films. Having an actor who is motivated and doesn't need long breaks will also facilitate this.

I'd hope an MGM change occurs sooner than later so we don't have to wait close to half a decade after B25 for the series to kick-start itself again.
    I've always felt once an actor is signed a 3-4 picture deal to begin as Bond, the usual intention is a 2 year space in between films. The Craig era certainly started that way with CR and QOS.
  • My own speculation: I would not be surprised if Annapurna (whose principal is a tech heiress) buys MGM. That would pay off the hedge funds who mostly own MGM. The merged entity takes the MGM name (which is more established). We'll see.
    Boyle will not direct bond 25 he turned them down twice
    My own speculation: I would not be surprised if Annapurna (whose principal is a tech heiress) buys MGM. That would pay off the hedge funds who mostly own MGM. The merged entity takes the MGM name (which is more established). We'll see.
    That's a plausible and credible theory. I have concerns with this however, because it is an operation known for more arty films, as opposed to a larger more traditional concern which may take us back to a more regimented and production factory formula approach (which I would prefer).

Still, you could be on to something, given the close links that are developing.
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    Boyle will not direct bond 25 he turned them down twice

Mendes once famously said the thought of directing a second Bond film made him ill. Lots of U.S. dollars (or EU euro notes, depending how his contract was negotiated) changed his mind.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I find it hard to believe that they haven't hired a director yet but Danny Boyle would be a awesome choice for craig's swan song.
    Sounds like their in a pinch to me. Nolan , Villenueve , Mendes , & Boyle have turned them down. Demange is too unknown for Craig's final outing. One of the above is holding out I think, I just don't see who their gonna get if not the case.

Seems like other reporters are insinuating that the search has narrowed drastically. Or are just making leaps in logic.