The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited February 2018 Posts: 17,293
    That looks interesting! What accent did Pierce use? Couldn't place it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    In this film, his character is said to be of an Irish descent, so I’d say it’s a mix of Irish and normal American, much like his real life accent.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    00Agent wrote: »
    Memento II
    Indeed. Sure looks that way.

I'm certainly intrigued by this.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,293
    In this film, his character is said to be of an Irish descent, so I’d say it’s a mix of Irish and normal American, much like his real life accent.

Ah, that explains it, then. Thought it was a mixed accent. Did I hear some Southern accent characteristics there, too?

Ah, that explains it, then. Thought it was a mixed accent. Did I hear some Southern accent characteristics there, too?
    The Brozz is still working on The Son tv series (set in Texas) as far as I know, so perhaps he's putting everything through the blender.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »

The Brozz is still working on The Son tv series (set in Texas) as far as I know, so perhaps he's putting everything through the blender.

Very well could be, he's in the midst of shooting the second season now. I still never saw the first, but the trailers looked solid.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I recently binge watched the first season of The Son. I liked it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Poor Broz can't do accents very well. If he had spoken in his normal "Mid-Atlantic" tongue he would have been fine here. Instead, it just seems a bit hammy.

Pity, because the film looks very interesting and it's the kind of material that he sells very well.

Lets just pray they never ask him to play a defecting Russian Nuclear Submarine captain...
    It actually looks half-decent. I agree about Brosnan and accents though. Whenever he attempts one it always sounds like Pierce Brosnan putting on an accent.
    Although, you have to admit he’s not trying but actually doing the Southern accent properly in The Son.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Although, you have to admit he’s not trying but actually doing the Southern accent properly in The Son.

And for a man who is supposed to be in his 80's Older Eli looks great. :D

Easy to use the things you pick up, I guess. His accent didn't bother me, really – it was just a thing I noticed. Will make sure to check out this one.

Also getting used to seeing Brosnan sporting a beard now. Of the Bonds, he has one of the best ones!
    Murdock wrote: »
    And for a man who is supposed to be in his 80's Older Eli looks great. :D
    The Brozzer is the man! :D
    Funny to see Pierce re-uniting with Minnie Driver again after GE.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    barryt007 wrote: »
    He couldn't get enough of strangling the cat. He missed the very talented girl.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,185

And After Zuchovsky died, he saw an open window...

After realizing that Guy Pearce married her, he came up with an elaborate Plan to frame him for murder and get him out the way lol
    00Agent wrote: »
    And After Zuchovsky died, he saw an open window...

After realizing that Guy Pearce married her, he came up with an elaborate Plan to frame him for murder and get him out the way lol
    Elementary, my dear Watson!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Is it just me? I have to look twice at Guy Pearce and Mark Wahlberg to make sure I'm not confusing one for the other.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Is it just me? I have to look twice at Guy Pearce and Mark Wahlberg to make sure I'm not confusing one for the other.
    Guy Pearce has pretty much always looked like that imho (even when he was on Neighbours). He's just aged a bit. Wahlberg has adopted this look somewhat with the longer hair, but he's still much more built (Marky Mark still shines through). There are certainly some similarities these days though.
    This just in,looks like India itself is taking it to Brosnan now !

India threatens Pierce Brosnan with fine over pan masala advertisement.

Delhi health officials have threatened to fine or jail the actor Pierce Brosnan if he fails to explain why he appeared in controversial advertisements for a chewing mixture that sometimes includes tobacco.

Brosnan appeared nearly 18 months ago in TV and newspaper advertisements for a brand of pan masala, a popular Indian mixture that can contain tobacco, lime, spices and nuts.

The specific variety Brosnan was endorsing did not contain tobacco but some of the company’s products include supari, a kind of nut considered by the World Health Organisation to be carcinogenic.

The campaign was suspended after causing an uproar, including from Brosnan, who said he was “deeply shocked and saddened” that his image had been used to promote a potentially harmful product.

On Monday, the Delhi health department issued a show-cause notice to the Irish actor demanding he explain his appearance in the commercials, which it claims were a form of “surrogate advertisement” intended to evade a ban on promoting tobacco.

“We have issued the notice to Pierce Brosnan through the company, and also reached out to him via social media platforms,” S K Arora, a health official with the Delhi government, told the Indian Express.

“If he fails to respond to the notice, he would face punishment of a fine up to Rs5,000 (£56) or two years in prison.”

Pan masala products containing tobacco have been known to increase the risk of mouth and throat cancers. The red-tinted teeth of regular chewers are a common sight across India and red splotches of pan masala stain many Indian streets.

Brosnan said at the time of the controversy he was under the impression he was promoting a “breath freshener/tooth whitener [and] all-natural, containing neither tobacco, supari, nor any other harmful ingredient”.

He said the company, Pan Bahar, had “grossly manipulated” the advertisements to suggest the star was endorsing its entire product line.

“Having endured, in my own personal life, the loss of my first wife and daughter as well as numerous friends to cancer, I am fully committed to supporting women’s healthcare and research programmes that improve human health and alleviate suffering,” Brosnan said.

Pan Bahar has denied it misled Brosnan and emphasised that its product is a mouth freshener that should not be associated with chewing tobacco.

edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    So the punishment is either £56 or 2 years in prison? I know which one I'd prefer!!
    I think somebody wants more attention. The man even condemned the product and apologized for promoting it, even though it was unknowingly. The Indian government should shut the hell up and concentrate on improving their own country first rather than jumping on the partisan bandwagon.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Lol what?! Thats the biggest load of Bull i heard today, how does that even make any sense?
    Why would you go after Brosnan? He's just a hired gun.
    Go after the campaign Manager, or the company, and if this product is so illegal or toxic or whatever why are there even advertisings allowed on TV for it?

Brosnan should be the least important person in this case. A lawsuit would never ever stick.
    In a developed country that is...
    His name captures the most media attention, mate, that's why they went after him. Looking for another 15 minutes of fame.
    Yeah, thats the most obvious conclusion...
    A bit pathetic on the part of the indian health officials. He won't have to loose any sleep over it though, they have nothing. And that fine even i could pay for him if he gives me a signed autograph in return :))
  • bondjames wrote: »
    So the punishment is either £56 or 2 years in prison? I know which one I'd prefer!!

Haha yeah, £56? I'm sure multi millionaire Pierce Brosnan is crapping himself right now.

Haha yeah, £56? I'm sure multi millionaire Pierce Brosnan is crapping himself right now.

Hope he's getting used to the idea of living on the streets and starving, having to pay a hefty fee like that.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Hope he's getting used to the idea of living on the streets and starving, having to pay a hefty fee like that.

I think he'll just take the prison time mate, he's got kids to support after all, can't afford to be skint.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I think he'll just take the prison time mate, he's got kids to support after all, can't afford to be skint.

Too right. His wife and kids won't be able to survive on the streets, so prison is the only logical option for him now.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Too right. His wife and kids won't be able to survive on the streets, so prison is the only logical option for him now.

He's probably at home now watching the North Korea scenes from DAD on repeat in preparation, in between saying his tearful goodbyes to his loved ones.