Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Cue the John Barry slide whistle
    +1. :))
    Cue the John Barry slide whistle
    Future YouTube video
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DUeVnV3WkAMnLQs.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Impressive.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Indeed. It takes a special set of skills to be split in two, be in the same place at the same time, and perform two different stunts in the meantime. Tom Cruise definitely sells it, gotta give him that.
    Indeed. It takes a special set of skills to be split in two, be in the same place at the same time, and perform two different stunts in the meantime. Tom Cruise definitely sells it, gotta give him that.

Those scientology classes payed off.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

If someone had told me you gain the ability of flight when becoming a Scientologist, I would've signed up long ago!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DUeMbj8X0AAcaZz.jpg

This is the one that messed his ankle up (twice), isn't it? Damn, I can't wait.
    Something's wrong here... the jump was not nearly THAT far... either it's been visually tweaked here or... visually tweaked. ;)

Could just be a perspective thing, as it does look like a ridiculous distance. At least he isn't completely clearing it, and is meant to hit the side of the building, catch himself, and pick himself up.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2018 Posts: 7,989
    He does have a substantial amount of aerial rigging that has been digitally erased .also, the actual leaping off point may have also been removed.
    That is indeed the platform he launched from. You can see from that candid video someone shot of him getting injured:

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185
    lol here's a detailed video of how he broke his ankle, it's not pretty

starts around 1:40
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    He says it's not fully healed and yet he's been seen running and jumping around recently?

This guy is committed. Or maybe he should be committed!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 40,500
    The bit they show with the unfinished effects looks great. Ankles DEFINITELY aren't supposed to bend that way though, looks painful.
    The bit they show with the unfinished effects looks great. Ankles DEFINITELY aren't supposed to bend that way though, looks painful.

They should get a female lead to do those stunts. They can bear more pain.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

If someone had told me you gain the ability of flight when becoming a Scientologist, I would've signed up long ago!

You also get telekinesis but you have to sign a billion year contract, give them all your money, cut out your entire family if their not members and constantly lie that it's not a cult.

You also get telekinesis but you have to sign a billion year contract, give them all your money, cut out your entire family if their not members and constantly lie that it's not a cult.

Now I'm REALLY signing up!
    00Agent wrote: »
    lol here's a detailed video of how he broke his ankle, it's not pretty

starts around 1:40

OMG. Tom is NUTS, bless his cinematic heart. Waiting for this movie with all my baited breath...
    She may have not said much but damn... Rebecca is such a fox in that video. :D

You're not wrong.
    That is very true, she looks hotter than in MI5. Despite my curiosity re Tom´s injury, I could hardly concentrate on anything else with her there.

boldfinger wrote: »
    That is very true, she looks hotter than in MI5. Despite my curiosity re Tom´s injury, I could hardly concentrate on anything else with her there.
    Conspicuously. ;)
    I've seen her in some other interviews and she is quite stunning indeed.

RE: the stunt - an important point that Tom made was that he was always expected to slam into the wall (just not break his ankle in the process). That's notable, because it goes to show the trouble they take to conceive these scenes. That little element will show up as human vulnerability, & will enhance the eventual scene (although in reality we will unfortunately be seeing Tom in real pain as a result of the break).
    Pain is temporary; film is forever. -John Milius to Arnold Schwarzenegger after an injury on Conan
    bondjames wrote: »
    Big stunts I agree (last big eyecatching one was probably the CR crane jump) but I think Bond is fine when it comes to general action, fight scenes and stuff. The Hinx fight beats any fight scene from MI imo.
    I actually much preferred the opera fight in MI-RN (which captured the spirit of old school Bond, including a certain level of ferocity combined with a bit of humour and stuntwork) over the Hinx fight. It wasn't as predictable either, in terms of setting and moves. The Hinx fight was more vicious certainly, but Bond used to be more than that.

Agree on the opera fight. It had a lot more going for it as far as its blend of creativity, suspense, humor and unexpectedness. And it's an opponent Hunt had no history with, so he doesn't know what he brings to the table.

While the Craig era was in desperate need of an opponent who outmuscled him, the series also has the precedent of undefeatable characters like Jaws and Oddjob, making it tougher to bring another such character to compete with the memories of them.

It also didn't help that Bond and Hinx went against each other in the car chase, with its setting the car on fire and not phasing him making it almost like a Jaws situation. Like with a lot of aspects of SP, it just didn't measure up the way it should have.

He sorta spoiled who he is chasing in that vid :/

Ok, I am officially on board with the hype, I can't wait for Fallout.

I am so going to rewatch all MI movies when we get closer to the release date.

Also..first teaser next Sunday with the Superbowl, wooo hooo!
    BT3366 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Big stunts I agree (last big eyecatching one was probably the CR crane jump) but I think Bond is fine when it comes to general action, fight scenes and stuff. The Hinx fight beats any fight scene from MI imo.
    I actually much preferred the opera fight in MI-RN (which captured the spirit of old school Bond, including a certain level of ferocity combined with a bit of humour and stuntwork) over the Hinx fight. It wasn't as predictable either, in terms of setting and moves. The Hinx fight was more vicious certainly, but Bond used to be more than that.

Agree on the opera fight. It had a lot more going for it as far as its blend of creativity, suspense, humor and unexpectedness. And it's an opponent Hunt had no history with, so he doesn't know what he brings to the table.
    Precisely. I liked the pacing, set design and setup too. It flowed nicely.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    He sorta spoiled who he is chasing in that vid :/
    True. The others on the couch were wondering that too in the vid I think.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Ok, I am officially on board with the hype, I can't wait for Fallout.

I am so going to rewatch all MI movies when we get closer to the release date.
    Me too, but I'm going to watch them all in the next couple of weeks. I made the mistake of doing a Bondathon prior to SP and all that did was make the eventual release all the more disappointing (in comparison to its predecessors) & predictable. I'd rather not have that happen with MI:6, given how much I enjoyed RN/GP, and so will keep a decent distance between the rewatches and the new one.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    That ankle break was brutal close up, and Tom still hung onto the ledge, Tom is a badass.
    That ankle break was brutal close up, and Tom still hung onto the ledge, Tom is a badass.

That is undeniable.
    I also find it remarkable how likeable he comes across as a person.