Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I also find it remarkable how likeable he comes across as a person.
    He does always come across as a down to earth and approachable fellow, but also a highly disciplined and motivated person. You can see it in his responses. A consummate professional.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,694
    Tom Cruise is from the same mold as actors such as Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks and Liam Neeson, due to their immense charisma, charm and likeability on the big screen that even if the film they appear in isn't very good, they'll still manage to keep you invested and engaged in their specific character. Even as criminals, i.e. Tom Cruise in American Made, you can't help but enjoy his character given he spends the entire film looking very cool in colourful shirts, sunglasses and with a big smile on his face.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2018 Posts: 8,023
    There are actors and there are stars, and in some cases a performer who’s both. Talent makes a great actor while charisma the star; Tom has both.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    00Agent wrote: »
    lol here's a detailed video of how he broke his ankle, it's not pretty

starts around 1:40

That's outrageous. Even if he didn't break his leg, to have your leading man doing that is incredible. Fair play to Tom. Can't say I agree with his religious views but when it comes to putting it all up there on the screen you can't fault the guy.

Of course they can only do it in MI because Cruise is able to call the shots himself. The studio can't have been happy with the delay to filming and inherent costs that's why we will never see a Bond actor so involved in the stunts.

Nonetheless EON really need to have a long think about the action for B25 because MI and Cruise is putting them to shame at the moment.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Can't say I would ever want to be around him for obvious reasons.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    jake24 wrote: »
    Can't say I would ever want to be around him for obvious reasons.
    +1
    I would. I think it would be interesting to get his view on life and work. He's lived a full life to date.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I certainly wouldn't want to find myself on the same public transport as Liam Neeson.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 10,588
    I certainly wouldn't want to find myself on the same public transport as Liam Neeson.
    Oh, I definitely would. We'd be in the safest of hands after all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DUjbF9SXUAAa9o9.jpg
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Angela's character: "I mustache you a question..."
    Henry's character: "Oh shut up. It's my French disguise. Frenchmen wear mustaches."
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Don't count him out as Bond, every year he looks more the part. I know some feel he's wooden, but with the right script and direction....
    talos7 wrote: »
    Don't count him out as Bond, every year he looks more the part. I know some feel he's wooden, but with the right script and direction....
    I was never one of his detractors. ;)
    I'd hop on the Cavill train if he impresses me in this, but he's yet to do so in everything else I've seen him in. However, I'd be more than happy with him in the role over plenty other choices I've seen nominated, such as Jamie Bell.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DUjbF9SXUAAa9o9.jpg
    That is one cool photo. Serious style.
    Strangely so, yes, even despite the lax combination of Henry´s attire.
    The PR campaingn for MI so far has been spot on. Little tit bits here and there. I wonder if Cruise's clue re who he was chasing during the roof top scene was all planed?
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 11,425

He’d still be wooden.

Hope it’s as good as the last one - that was actually very entertaining.
    Getafix wrote: »

He’d still be wooden.

We've had a narrow squeak avoiding him once even though he does look more the part now for Christ's sake let's not get a bloke in who would actually make Rory seem charismatic if they shared a scene together.

He’d still be wooden.

We've had a narrow squeak avoiding him once even though he does look more the part now for Christ's sake let's not get a bloke in who would actually make Rory seem charismatic if they shared a scene together.

I remember seeing Cavill in a Woody Allen film a while back and thinking who on Earth is this plank they’ve thrown on screen.

Had Campbell and MGW got their way in 06 I think that would have been the end of Bond for me.

Bond can’t be cast on looks alone otherwise you end up with Brozza syndrome.

Pretty sure Babs knows that now and would not make the mistake of casting Cavill.

He’d still be wooden.

I remember seeing Cavill in a Woody Allen film a while back and thinking who on Earth is this plank they’ve thrown on screen.

Had Campbell and MGW got their way in 06 I think that would have been the end of Bond for me.

Bond can’t be cast on looks alone otherwise you end up with Brozza syndrome.

Pretty sure Babs knows that now and would not make the mistake of casting Cavill.

I think we should be safe. She wouldn't go for someone already tainted by a terrible superhero franchise and a stillborn spy one.

But then I would have said she wouldn't sign off on Blofeld being Bond's stepbrother. And worryingly in 2020 when the search for the new Bond will begin he'll be round about bang on the right age.
    Nah. Never gonna happen. That’ll be time to bring back Dalton. If Sean could return, then why not the Daltonator..?
    I didn't have a problem with Cavill in Man From Uncle. It was Hammer who was useless.

He is maturing nicely and I wouldn't have a problem with him as James Bond. I doubt it will happen though, since he is about to star in the competitor franchise. Rather, he may take on a role in MI after Cruise moves on.
    @bondjames I hear that Hammer was spectacular in Call me by your Name that came out in late 2017.
    I had assumed he was in some film recently where he had received positive acclaim @DaltonCraig007, because I've seen his name around a lot lately. I wasn't aware of what it was, so thanks for passing along the name. I'll try to seek that one out at some point.
    Hammer was absolutely incredible in CMBYN, and also in Free Fire. Both are highly recommended. Fairly certain CMBYN will stand as the Best Film of 2017 for me.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    He has never impressed me in anything I've seen him in sadly. Quite the contrary & in fact I actually avoided & dismissed Free Fire when I realized he had a large role in it. Like Ryan Reynolds, he's on my 'stay away from' list normally.

Given these recent recommendations, I'll check these films out. Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised.
    Shame to hear; if you loathe him that much I doubt the aforementioned two are going to do anything for you then, particularly since you avoided Free Fire for that reason alone. I guess we all have that one actor that just completely gets under our skin and we avoid like the plague.
    It's not a question of loathing. I don't generally loathe anyone and give most folks an opportunity to prove themselves. A few strikes (or one major strike) and you're out though. He's on shaky ground from past experience (particularly based on Man From Uncle where I personally found him quite poor, and an embarrassment to the memory of the character who was played so memorably by David McCallum).

I'll see one of these soon enough.
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's not a question of loathing. I don't generally loathe anyone and give most folks an opportunity to prove themselves. A few strikes (or one major strike) and you're out though. He's on shaky ground from past experience (particularly based on Man From Uncle where I personally found him quite poor, and an embarrassment to the memory of the character who was played so memorably by David McCallum).

I'll see one of these soon enough.

Well however you would describe it - loathing, a lack of interest, etc. - I think we all have an actor or two like that.

Keep me posted (and mention me, in case I miss it) if you do get around to watching and reviewing both.