Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• wasn't star wars originally meant to be for children? that's what lucas said anyway, the last fun star wars was return of the jedi!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited November 2017 Posts: 7,854
    Eh, Star Wars can still be watched by kids.
    Eh, Star Wars can still be watched by kids.

Last Jedi is a PG-13. When you consider that the original was classified as a U certificate, I think the mad monk has a point.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The review embargo for Star Wars: The Last Jedi ends on December 12 at 12:00pm EST.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 40,474
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,376

Booked Thursday off so 12.30pm I will be watching The Last Jedi, it's shame I am working Wednesday as there is a double feature of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi playing locally. Gr
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    General early response to TLJ is Avoid Spoilers at All Costs think I'll avoid everything till Thursday.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,690
    A little over 72 hours left until I'll go see The Last Jedi!

24891509_10155240743775817_693846670_n.jpg?oh=95a233c4eb581a69fac1e48886a5678b&oe=5A2F5B75
    The early buzz for Force Awakens was also stellar, so the cynic in me will bide my time and wait until I've watched TLJ for myself. Trouble with these events is that the attendees tend get caught up in some kind of rabid, collective mania and, like devotees of some hideous cult, fall over themselves to praise mediocrity.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,376
    bondsum wrote: »
    The early buzz for Force Awakens was also stellar, so the cynic in me will bide my time and wait until I've watched TLJ for myself. Trouble with these events is that the attendees tend get caught up in some kind of rabid, collective mania and, like devotees of some hideous cult, fall over themselves to praise mediocrity.

That did cross my mind, a lavish event with perks can put alot of folk in a positive frame of mind going in.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 3,333
    I'm with you on that one @fire_and_ice. I don't doubt that Rian Johnson is a great director and will be a vast improvement over the previous lacklustre outing from J.J., but I can't seem to get over that Adam Driver's character is nothing more than just an angst-ridden Dark Helmet (Rick Moranis from Spaceballs) with daddy issues, and Daisy Ridley is a posh-wooden actress better served in episodes of Downton Abbey. Though I'm kind of pumped to see the legendary Mark Hamill again.

But when I read tweets like: "No hyperbole – #TheLastJedi is the best #starwars movie. @rianjohnson and co nailed it" I roll my eyes to the heavens. Doesn't this Tweeter see the irony of his own comment?

Fingers crossed that it's actually good this time.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A little over 72 hours left until I'll go see The Last Jedi!

24891509_10155240743775817_693846670_n.jpg?oh=95a233c4eb581a69fac1e48886a5678b&oe=5A2F5B75

Good lord! Don't tell me, @DaltonCraig007, you are going to watch a dubbed version. :S
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Good lord! Don't tell me, @DaltonCraig007, you are going to watch a dubbed version. :S

Sadly yes, @DarthDimi. The only movies played in their original language near me are 'smaller' films (like A Monster Calls with Liam Neeson ) or asian films (like Train to Busan).
    I'm with you on that one @fire_and_ice. I don't doubt that Rian Johnson is a great director and will be a vast improvement over the previous lacklustre outing from J.J., but I can't seem to get over that Adam Driver's character is anything more than just an angst-ridden Dark Helmet (Rick Moranis from Spaceballs) with daddy issues, and Daisy Ridley is a posh-wooden actress better served in episodes of Downton Abbey. Though I'm kind of pumped to see the legendary Mark Hamill again.

But when I read tweets like: "No hyperbole – #TheLastJedi is the best #starwars movie. @rianjohnson and co nailed it" I roll my eyes to the heavens. Doesn't this Tweeter see the irony of his own comment?

Fingers crossed that it's actually good this time.

In this modern Hollywood a coherent film that did not need major reshoots in post production is deemed a success, I just hope TLJ has a expansive story and takes risks, I suspect it will. JJ made a safe Marvel type film with TFA, Hopefully Johnson has not done that and the younger actors give us good performances.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Right there with you. Any early impressions I see tend to be over exaggerated foaming at the mouth, as if the movie is the cure to cancer. I'll wait and see the film myself first before deciding, though not sure if I'll even catch this one on theaters.
  • Don’t hate me. :))

PiNNAco.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So Chewbacca is in the movie.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Thank the maker , I've never seen dubbed version of any star wars movie!

The closest we've got was when they replaced the original english opening crawls with finnish ones in the prequel trilogy and in 2004 special editions. The Force Awakens, thank the maker, had an english opening crawl. Anyway, two more days for me.

I'm going to spoil the heck out of this movie to my friends who don't see it in the opening day. I'm that evil.

Sadly yes, @DarthDimi. The only movies played in their original language near me are 'smaller' films (like A Monster Calls with Liam Neeson ) or asian films (like Train to Busan).

My condolences, sir. I guess French chauvinism deprives you of the real experience then. You're telling me you don't even have the choice between the original version and a dubbed version?

My condolences, sir. I guess French chauvinism deprives you of the real experience then. You're telling me you don't even have the choice between the original version and a dubbed version?

Only choice I have is whether to see it in 3D or in 2D (both dubbed). My only option for seeing the original version of major blockbusters is to travel to a big city (Paris being the closest) and I don't have time to travel 90 minutes to get there and 90 minutes back home after the film. And it is really annoying to have to wait for the Blu Ray releases to finally hear the original versions of all films I see.
    @DaltonCraig007
    I really hope your theatre complexes are going to change that some day. I fail to see the point, honestly. Nothing wrong with reading subtitles or learning English. ;-)

Again, I sympathise.
    The german is das best.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    The german is das best.

the Don Camillo movies and the Bud Spencer & Terence Hill movies are brilliant in German synchronisation I do like them best that way. ;)
    edited December 2017 Posts: 45,489
    I thought the Brazilian was awesome. The Hebrew is just dumb.
    Don’t hate me. :))

PiNNAco.jpg

Lol! Brilliant!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I saw this question asked this morning and for the first time I didn't know what to say.

Who's going to take in more money, The Last Jedi or Infinity War?
    Last_Jedi_Infinity_War.jpg?x42694

Normally I would say Star Wars but this time I'm unsure. Then again, this is like asking which of Disney's hands are going to fill with money faster lol.
    The wait is killing mesa! This time tomorrow, I should know if it's good or not. Obviously at first I will think it*s the best thing since the sliced bread.

Today, after work, there will be nothing but Star Wars in my evening. Have to watch The Force Awakens and play BF2 till my eyes are red.

Okay, I'm bit overhyping myself here. But what canna yosa do?!
    I saw this question asked this morning and for the first time I didn't know what to say.

Who's going to take in more money, The Last Jedi or Infinity War?
    Last_Jedi_Infinity_War.jpg?x42694

Normally I would say Star Wars but this time I'm unsure. Then again, this is like asking which of Disney's hands are going to fill with money faster lol.

I am going to take a punt on Infinity War?!