Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• edited December 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Luke was badass...
    Snoke was a punk. Disappointment. Well, goodbye Snoke.we hardly knew ye, and you went out like a punk. Killed by(?) emo brat Kylo Ren i wonder what they do now, that emo vader killed Snoke and he's supposed to be the great evil now.

Edit: dang my graspvof the english language get even worse when I have an after movie beer...o r few.Lost count here.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @Sharkbait and @DarthDimi One of my favorite moments in TLJ that made a few people go 'WOW!' in the audience was
    the very particular use of the lightspeed function to destroy a ship instead of escaping.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay, I cried when
    I saw Yoda.

Tears. Hadn't seen that coming, wasn't aware of it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,690
    I also wasn't aware of that scene prior to seeing it, so I had the same reaction @DarthDimi. Also when
    Leia is floating in outer space and 'flies' herself into the ship where Poe and Finn were.

I really enjoyed the
    very samurai-inspired lightsaber battle with Rey and Kylo Ren. Those goons seemed to have come straight out of 'The Last Samurai'.
    I cried
    when I thought Leia had died and suddenly she uses the Force to get her back to the ship. I was expecting they'd kill off Leia since Carrie Fisher had died (R.I.P.) , instead I witnessed something beautiful I wonder how they're going to write out Leia, since it didn't happen in the ladt of jedi Also, Luke, you were a bad as
    If I can offer one bit of criticism,
    the final scene with the little boy makes sense but to make it the final scene before the iconic end titles felt unearned. I want to see one of our familiars in that final scene.
    I had a blast at the movie. As a 30 year old lapsed fan who only keeps up to date with the movies and not the expanded media around it, I was thoroughly satisfied with The Last Jedi.
    I do think that if I was still as big of a fan as I was when I was 16 I would be a little disappointed with some of the choices the filmmakers made.
    Best SW since Empire Strikes Back!
    High praise going on here. Good way to start.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 2,107
    But a lot of negativity elsewhere. I don't remember this much negativity towards TFA.

It feels like the number of people who say Disney has ruined SW, has grown a lot.

Then again there are those trolls who don't even see the new movies, yet call them the worst thing ever happened to Star Wars.

I admit it. I feel like TLJ is the first SW for me that I need to see twice to form my opinion. There were things I liked, but then a few things I did not like and was a bit disappointed.

The movie isn't easy to digest in one bite.
    Story was more meatier than the one in the last one, that basically was ANH repackaged, even though I love the movie.

It was so different.
    Although I did see a bit Rotj in the movie, what with Rey surrendering to Snoke and trying to turn Ben back to the lightside, which I during one cool fightscene, thought would happe. Alas, no such luck. We just got one new supreme leader.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    But a lot of negativity elsewhere. I don't remember this much negativity towards TFA.

It feels like the number of people who say Disney has ruined SW, has grown a lot.

Then again there are those trolls who don't even see the new movies, yet call them the worst thing ever happened to Star Wars.

I admit it. I feel like TLJ is the first SW for me that I need to see twice to form my opinion. There were things I liked, but then a few things I did not like and was a bit disappointed.

The movie isn't easy to digest in one bite.
    Story was more meatier than the one in the last one, that basically was ANH repackaged, even though I love the movie.

It was so different.
    Although I did see a bit Rotj in the movie, what with Rey surrendering to Snoke and trying to turn Ben back to the lightside, which I during one cool fightscene, thought would happe. Alas, no such luck. We just got one new supreme leader.

Where does all the negativity you mention come from? Are we talking internet forums? Or actual serious reviews? I haven't seen one negative review yet myself.
    Imdb and youtube reviews by some disappointed fanboys.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Imdb and youtube reviews by some disappointed fanboys.

They thought there were too few and short light saber fights?
    There will always be vocal detractors. Always. It’s relatable with the community here with SF; despite being really popular, it still has its haters. CR is as close at it gets to universal love, and even then there are some who don’t like it.
    I thought I witnessed something very special today. A new and unique story that can hold its own without (too many) throw backs or 'greatest hits', and which has the potential to create a legacy on its own like the original films did. Almost all characters had an arch, the performances were strong, there were several surprising turns, a lot of emotional moments. There were never a dull moment, yet the story thankfully also allowed for some slower scenes and not action only.

I will need time to let it sink in properly, but I can only find praise for it at this point. I watched it with one set of friends today and have scheduled a later rewatch with some other friends later this week. Yet I am seriously considering watching it one or two times by myself before then. That's how good it is to me!
    jobo wrote: »
    I thought I witnessed something very special today. A new and unique story that can hold its own without (too many) throw backs or 'greatest hits', and which has the potential to create a legacy on its own like the original films did. Almost all characters had an arch, the performances were strong, there were several surprising turns, a lot of emotional moments. There were never a dull moment, yet the story thankfully also allowed for some slower scenes and not action only.

I will need time to let it sink in properly, but I can only find praise for it at this point. I watched it with one set of friends today and have scheduled a later rewatch with some other friends later this week. Yet I am seriously considering watching it one or two times by myself before then. That's how good it is to me!

Agreed, @jobo. I am considering the exact same thing.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Mixed thoughts myself. Some good parts but also some sour notes. And Snoke was truly terrible.
    Brilliant! Saw it last night. Although there is still that nagging sense that the Star Wars universe may collapse in on itself with references and call backs for instance
    Jedi training etc. very like ROTJ. Luke's fight with Rylo Ken reminded me a lot of Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH
    Mixed thoughts myself. Some good parts but also some sour notes. And Snoke was truly terrible.

Snoke was terrible if
    your mind is set on the preconceived idea that he is the main bad guy of the film. But why does he have to be?

I have dug up some of the negative reviews now. One thing all the detractors seem to have in common (disregarding all the nitpicking) is that they are disappointed or even outraged that the story didn't turn out the way they thought it would. Personaly I am so sick and tired of this trend of overanalyzing a film in advance, trying to guess the plot line and themes before the film release. It's so annoying! The fact that the film manages to surprise us and that some characters did not develop the way we thought they would, is apparently an outrage to some. I loved it!

I saw some guy on youtube rant that
    Ray's character has no significance to him anymore because it turned out her parents are not known to us or anything special. I loved that! It was a delicious f u to all those who have made up crazy, cheesy stories about her family ties. Who said the force har to be about blood line?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I saw it yesterday, and like a few others here have mixed feelings. Every scene with Luke, Rey, Kylo Ren and Snoke are brilliant. As for the rest, there is a lot of superfluous characters and goings-on. It is a worthy addition to the saga with several iconic scenes, but unlike the previous one, I wasn t mesmerized throughout.

It falls somewhere in the middle for me, which is still very enjoyable. Curious to see where they take this next.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited December 2017 Posts: 1,984
    Snoke was terrible if
    your mind is set on the preconceived idea that he is the main bad guy of the film. But why does he have to be?

I have dug up some of the negative reviews now. One thing all the detractors seem to have in common (disregarding all the nitpicking) is that they are disappointed or even outraged that the story didn't turn out the way they thought it would. Personaly I am so sick and tired of this trend of overanalyzing a film in advance, trying to guess the plot line and themes before the film release. It's so annoying! The fact that the film manages to surprise us and that some characters did not develop the way we thought they would, is apparently an outrage to some. I loved it!
    The "twist" in of itself isn't terrible. Actually, that part was probably the relieving bit, because of everything Snoke was up to then; that is to say, a poor rehash of Palpatine and a non-character. The idea of using him as a red herring isn't so much of an issue but he was still a pointless character, though the horrible dialogue in that scene didn't help. And the movie had perhaps too many red herrings. If anything, that invited over-analysis. I don't hate the movie for trying to subvert established dynamics; the lack of doing so was what weakened TFA as a film for me because it relied too much on familiarity.

In terms of character development, I was mostly impressed, really. Again, not so much with Snoke because there's non-existent character development for him.
    Not seen it yet but previous point is well made. Like Bond, the are millions of passionate and vocal fans around the World that love the series and have very set views on what makes a good and bad addition to the series. The most brilliant director that has ever lived could do their best and there would still be detractors.

For that reason, sites like rotten toms can be much more useful than individual reviews as the general, average view comes out. And it does look very promising. Only 3D in my local at the moment so waiting for 2D
    Snoke was terrible if

The "twist" in of itself isn't terrible. Actually, that part was probably the relieving bit, because of everything Snoke was up to then; that is to say, a poor rehash of Palpatine and a non-character. The idea of using him as a red herring isn't so much of an issue but he was still a pointless character, though the horrible dialogue in that scene didn't help. And the movie had perhaps too many red herrings. If anything, that invited over-analysis. I don't hate the movie for trying to subvert established dynamics; the lack of doing so was what weakened TLJ as a film for me because it relied too much on familiarity.

In terms of character development, I was mostly impressed, really. Again, not so much with Snoke because there's non-existent character development for him.
    That is basically my point. It is impossible to have an arch for every character in a movie. All the main characters have one. We don't have time to investigate Snoke, and it's not really necessarry. Regarding the dialogue I didn't think it was that bad. But I'll have to watch it again to give proper judgement.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 1,031
    I have a question
    How does Ren know who Rey's parents are if she really is a nobody? Is he telling the truth? Is there something he's hiding? I think it's much more interesting to get rid of Snoke - in terms of how it will play out in 9 between Ren and Rey

Also it's strange how the critical response is similar to Spectre's - i.e. effusive and enthusiastic British response to more mixed, lukewarm and negative US response.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Just saw it. Mixed feelings at present. Some I loved. Some I didn't like at all
    Flying Leia and killing off Admiral Ackbar with merely a throw away line. Maybe a little too much humour as well
    There was also something I didn't get
    Where was the line 'I have a bad feeling about this'
    I didn't hear it.
    Certainly a lot to enjoy, and I think when I've analysed it some more and possibly a second viewing will help.
  • There hasn't been a good Star Wars movie since 1980. (The year I graduated high school.)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2017 Posts: 8,112
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    There hasn't been a good Star Wars movie since 1980. (The year I graduated high school.)

Except in 2005.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    There hasn't been a good Star Wars movie since 1980. (The year I graduated high school.)

Except in 2005.

Nah, that was simply reheated seconds from the first two movies, right down to lifting sections straight from the original movie's plot and dialogue. No wonder the big studios can now getaway with serving up regurgitated drivel to the masses. The millennials clearly haven't got a clue what constitutes a good movie from a bad movie, so long as it looks nice, moves at a brisk clip and doesn't give them too much to think about.

I still haven't seen RoTJ, but the things I'm hearing about it, I'm not liking the sound of this one either.

I'm going to put my assumptions in a spoiler below based purely on what I already know about this new movie. So, you've been warned...
    By all accounts the third instalment could be absolutely void of any charismatic lead actors, especially as they've all been killed off in the first two movies. Nice going, Disney. You've killed off all the wrong lead actors and left the new trilogy with absolutely No Hope.
    After Empire, my favorite are Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith. So underrated.