The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

190588_medium.jpg
  • atomic blonde is a joke, i'd need one backhand slap to knock her silly, that giraffe theron an agent, gimme a break!

With that been said, i recently bought the legendary untouchables with Costner.

• edited November 2017 Posts: 15,818
    Found some Blu-rays on sale:

RAGING BULL (1980)

One of my fave De Niro performances and Scorcese films- yet it's one I've watched the least, when compared to GOODFELLAS and TAXI DRIVER. So this will be a treat.

GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT (1947)
    Considering I'm such a huge fan of 1940's and golden age cinema it's hard to beleive I've never seen this one. I love Elia Kazan, John Garfield and Gregory Peck, though so I'm sure it will become a fond favorite.

THAT THING YOU DO (1996)
    Tom Hanks period piece set in the early '60's about a pop/rock band. Again, another film I've never seen and heard mixed things about. However, I also love the early '60's and music of that era. My Dad loves this film so I'm looking forward to it.

A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD (2013)
    Arguably the DIE ANOTHER DAY of the DIE HARD series? I thought so when I saw this in the cinemas. Horribly disappointed back in '13, However I'm giving it another shot, and so far I'm enjoying it far more. I'm actually watching as I type this post.
    I can't quite put my finger on it, but one of the current trends in cinematography is a slightly greenish hue and deep deep contrast. Perhaps shot digitally? The other Die Hards look more cinematic 35mm natural. The colors and lighting here almost remind me of one of the Matrix sequels.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Rasputin wrote: »
    atomic blonde is a joke, i'd need one backhand slap to knock her silly, that giraffe theron an agent, gimme a break!

With that been said, i recently bought the legendary untouchables with Costner.

Have you seen it?
    I’m not a huge fan of those kind of films where the woman is 20 times stronger than she could be but atomic blonde was awesome. Especially if your a bond fan.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Found some Blu-rays on sale:A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD (2013)
    Arguably the DIE ANOTHER DAY of the DIE HARD series? I thought so when I saw this in the cinemas. Horribly disappointed back in '13, However I'm giving it another shot, and so far I'm enjoying it far more. I'm actually watching as I type this post.
    I can't quite put my finger on it, but one of the current trends in cinematography is a slightly greenish hue and deep deep contrast. Perhaps shot digitally? The other Die Hards look more cinematic 35mm natural. The colors and lighting here almost remind me of one of the Matrix sequels.

Someone uploaded a video on YouTube and color-corrected the trailer. It looked much better without that oppresive color palette.

Also, Bruce Willis doesn't seem to be playing McClane anymore. Superficially, he appears to, but deep down he comes across as too Terminator-ish, not human and fallible enough. Compare with Die Hard with a Vengeance, probably a slightly more over-the-top film than its predecessors, with McClane showing less surprise at the death-defying acts he has to go through, but he still shows fear, worry, doubts, anxiety.
  • 8312.jpg
    On Blu-ray:
    Web of the Spider (1971)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    8312.jpg
    On Blu-ray:
    Web of the Spider (1971)
    @CraterGuns That is one of my favourite films! The original even more so!

Although, I sort of think that poster, regardless of being awesome, is sort of misleading as is that alternative title. I know the film as And Then Came The Dawn But Colored Red. Its 1964 equivalent, Castle of Blood, served as one of the inspirations of my horror novella.
  • I have Castle of Blood on DVD -- a great, creepy classic gothic thriller -- but have never seen Web of the Spider... Looking forward to it!

I'm glad my initial viewing of this film will be via Remastered Blu-ray and not one of the numerous crappy public domain versions that are floating around out there.
  • For anyone living in the USA, does amazon usually have a big Black Friday list of deals on blu rays

Amazon's Black Friday deals have been firing up. Big discounts on Blu-rays for many recent films.

Wonder Woman for $6.99: https://amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-Blu-ray-DVD-Digital/dp/B0714QRG4Z/ref=pd_sim_74_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=91P3Q8MW5C3E4DP0C6M9
    BD-
    the Avengers season 4
    Homeland season 6
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Great news for Robert Mitchum fans like myself and especially @MajorDSmythe. Guess what is coming to us in a double-feature Blu-ray release this coming February?
    915HC9xzrFL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22357

Mitchum nailed the cynical weariness of Marlowe so I'm absolutely thrilled that two under looked neo-noir films of his are going to be getting the remastered treatment.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Great news for Robert Mitchum fans like myself and especially @MajorDSmythe. Guess what is coming to us in a double-feature Blu-ray release this coming February?
    915HC9xzrFL._SL1500_.jpg

Mitchum nailed the cynical weariness of Marlowe so I'm absolutely thrilled that two under looked neo-noir films of his are going to be getting the remastered treatment.

Oh, lord. Normally I don't buy BRs, unless they are those dual format releases. But this, if it gets a R2 release, I would strongly consider buying.
    915HC9xzrFL._SL1500_.jpg

Wow! I'd love to get that! Any special features?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ToTheRight, all that's confirmed right now is that the films are coming in a two-for-one pack and that at least Region A is confirmed. Beyond that, nothing of the special features is known. This was announced at the start of November, so I'm sure the details will be expanded upon later as the February date approaches. I'm mighty excited!
    @ToTheRight, all that's confirmed right now is that the films are coming in a two-for-one pack and that at least Region A is confirmed. Beyond that, nothing of the special features is known. This was announced at the start of November, so I'm sure the details will be expanded upon later as the February date approaches. I'm mighty excited!

Very cool. My DVD copy of FML is full frame so it will be nice to see the widescreen version. I imagine the picture quality is improved as well.

Very cool. My DVD copy of FML is full frame so it will be nice to see the widescreen version. I imagine the picture quality is improved as well.
    I'm most excited to see them both in a remastered presentation. They really needed it and deserved it. I was recently going to revisit them but now I'll just wait until February to order the blu-ray and go from there.

I'm most excited to see them both in a remastered presentation. They really needed it and deserved it. I was recently going to revisit them but now I'll just wait until February to order the blu-ray and go from there.

I watch Farewell My Lovely at least twice a year, but I may hold out until the Blu-ray is out.
    @ToTheRight, it's been a long, long while since my last rewatches of both so I'm excited. It was a formative moment in my love of movies when I was introduced to Mitch in these. I thought he was the coolest dude around! The same experience I had when I discovered Bogie.
    @ToTheRight, it's been a long, long while since my last rewatches of both so I'm excited. It was a formative moment in my love of movies when I was introduced to Mitch in these. I thought he was the coolest dude around! The same experience I had when I discovered Bogie.

Me, too- though I discovered Bogie several years earlier. I later found the earlier Mitchum films like Out of The Past, His Kind of Woman, Thunder Road, Where Danger Lives and discovered a whole new style of cool.

Me, too- though I discovered Bogie several years earlier. I later found the earlier Mitchum films like Out of The Past, His Kind of Woman, Thunder Road, Where Danger Lives and discovered a whole new style of cool.
    Mitch and Bogie were perfectly natural at that. And both were very self-deprecating about how cool they were...which made them even more cool. You will seldom find more down to earth and humble actors in the Hollywood machine.

Mitch and Bogie were perfectly natural at that. And both were very self-deprecating about how cool they were...which made them even more cool. You will seldom find more down to earth and humble actors in the Hollywood machine.

Very true. Neither of them really tried to be cool, it just sort of happened.
    I also appreciate that both actors used their own experiences to make their roles believable. Mitch hopped the freight trains and traveled the States often having no idea where he was going to end up. He hung out with the homeless community, got himself arrested and put on a chain gang and then escaped while being shot at. By the time he got into film, he had been through just about every conceivable experience one could imagine.
    Bogie grew up in wealth and rebelled against it, going into the Navy an getting into all sorts of trouble. His theatre work gave him the acting chops and he eventually worked his way up at Warners Bros until getting the leading roles he became famous for.
    Both actors paid their dues and it showed in their performances.
    51WG01EGFQL._SY445_.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWSIRpstDWtMOKL6MXIPx9Vi9rxULP7MMwty_sNasGmclF8PHDuw
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I haven't seen enough of Bogie talk about him, but Mitch was the true king of cool, not, as many think, Steve McQueen. Even his life off screen was an interesting one. I can't imagine any actor today being picked up for vagrancy, and placed onto a chain gang, only to escape.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @MajorDSmythe, I think McQueen has some decent ownership of that for his time, though I think cool comes in generations and he was a sort of second generation cool with others like Sean Connery after Bogie, Mitch, Sinatra and other icons had made their presence known before them.

I definitely agree about Mitch though, especially since he's one of the actors who had a crazier life off screen than on. ;) What makes actors like him and Bogie special is their naturalism. They lived a lot so they had a lot of reality to lean on in their performances. They knew what it was like to be in all kinds of situations or harbor all kinds of feelings in the moment, and that comes out in their work. For Mitch this is especially true, with his storming into films that had him being shot at or mixed with morally ambiguous characters, situations he knew well in his own life.
    BD
    Doctor Who Shada - pre-order
    Daredevil season 2
    Universal the Mummy boxset
    Highlander
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    81O1NOWI2wL._RI_SX200_.jpg

Another Black Friday deal £2.99 HD download, one of the very best action films ever made.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    And it's almost Christmas, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    And it's almost Christmas, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

My thoughts exactly I will be working Christmas eve so I'll definitely watch Die Hard on that shift.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Huge deals on amazon and bestbuy
    Spider man homecoming for 7.99
    Covenant for 8.99
    A cure for wellness for 6.99
    The founder for 5.99
    Ex machina for 3.99!!!!!
    And a few others

I was upset that silence didn’t reduce from 20$. Its almost been a year since it’s release perhaps I’ll just have to buy it for that price...
    Huge deals on amazon and bestbuy
    Spider man homecoming for 7.99
    Covenant for 8.99
    A cure for wellness for 6.99
    The founder for 5.99
    Ex machina for 3.99!!!!!
    And a few others

I was upset that silence didn’t reduce from 20$. Its almost been a year since it’s release perhaps I’ll just have to buy it for that price...

That's a great price for Spiderman Home Coming is that on dvd or Bluray?

I bought Ex Machina on the Black Friday last year funnily enough