The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Alright, here's this year's Black Friday pickings...

51iNZ6ssDUL.jpg
    The newest release of one of my top 10 films, Apocalypse Now, which comes with the original cut, the re-cut Redux and the phenomenal Hearts of Darkness documentary that details the crazy near-suicide adventure the film brought Coppola on. I've never upgraded to blu-ray for this particular film but the price of $14 for such a collection of filmmaking history was worth it and so I had to jump on it.

15178-warner-home-video-announces-mad-max-high-octane-collection-89-1473890385-400x534.jpg
    This one was a no-brainer as well. I have only upgraded the first Mad Max to blu-ray after finding it a few months back in a bargain bin so the chance to get all the other films in restored quality was grand. For just $44 you get the first three Gibson films in Blu-ray alongside both Fury Road AND the Black & Chrome edition of the film along with two new documentaries for the first two films and the features that have appeared on all other releases for these films to this point in one beautiful and shockingly cheap package. I'll be getting a lot of use out of these discs, and plan on doing some extensive film reviews on each in the future when I get a film blog up and running.

This last one is an experimental buy for me, thanks to the urging and recommendation of @ClarkDevlin:
    product_images_modal_61727_20Secret_20Agent_2017DVD_20Box_20Complete_20Front_2072dpi__7B08e0cbc1-512e-e411-add3-d4ae527c3b65_7D.jpg
    The 60s spy series starring Patrick McGoohan, Danger Man in the UK or Secret Agent in the US. The complete series is collected here using the original film of the British ITV series, which drops some of the American editions to the show including the theme song that was included when the show went stateside. Not a big deal to me, as I prefer the show to be as it was when it aired natively on its home network.

I did a lot of research on the show before buying and gave myself a taste of what to expect by watching parts of episodes and clips online, and was enticed to get the whole series in the end. The main reason was the draw of the main star. McGoohan oozed an unexpected and unconventional cool at a time when even Bond wasn't around to be compared to. As the show returned for further seasons alongside the Bond films, McGoohan still held his own and I look forward to seeing more of his work throughout the 80 plus episodes spanning until the late 60s.

My intent in seeing McGoohan's Danger Man days is to ready myself for watching the show he did immediately after, The Prisoner that I've only heard great things about. I've been a little burnt on what to expect in that show while researching Danger Man and McGoohan's career, but from recommendations from both @ClarkDevlin and @DarthDimi I think The Prisoner will be right up my alley and from now until I see it I'll remain severed from further research to go into it as unspoiled as possible.

It's no mystery why McGoohan was reportedly offered Bond. He fits into that mold of actors I am drawn to, like a Bogie or Robert Mitchum or Steve McQueen, men who embodied an everyman quality while being effortlessly cool through their own individual style and presence. I'm sure McGoohan will fast become a new favorite of mine through Danger Man's influence.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I can’t wait to read your reviews on Danger Man, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! I’m excited that you came around to it! :D

It includes the half-hour episodes as well, right? It’s basically Series One before Ralph Smart had it retooled.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can’t wait to read your reviews on Danger Man, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! I’m excited that you came around to it! :D

It includes the half-hour episodes as well, right? It’s basically Series One before Ralph Smart had it retooled.

@ClarkDevlin, yes, it includes everything. The first run of thirty minute shows and then the expanded following seasons as well as the last two full-color "fourth season" episodes. I may watch a lot of the thirty episode shows together because of their shorter length but when I get to the more expanded episodes I may do episode by episode reactions in the TV show thread to each. We'll see. ;)

I thank you and @DarthDimi for brining the show to my attention in the first place.
    Contrary to popular reception, I actually love the last two episodes in full colour when the fandom in general hates them both. I think you’ll see why when you get there. ;)

And you’re welcome, mate. Can’t wait to read your reviews. :D
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Huge deals on amazon and bestbuy
    Spider man homecoming for 7.99
    Covenant for 8.99
    A cure for wellness for 6.99
    The founder for 5.99
    Ex machina for 3.99!!!!!
    And a few others

I was upset that silence didn’t reduce from 20$. Its almost been a year since it’s release perhaps I’ll just have to buy it for that price...

That's a great price for Spiderman Home Coming is that on dvd or Bluray?

I bought Ex Machina on the Black Friday last year funnily enough

Those would all be blu ray
    @ClarkDevlin, I took a few minute's look at the first color episode simply out of curiosity and I loved it. Very stylish and well put together.

I'm also intrigued by all the guest stars on the show who would go on to be in the Bond films or who went from the Bond films to Danger Man. While watching a few minutes of a random episode I saw both Zena Marshall and Walter Gotell, for example, who were just two or three respective years from appearing in the Bond franchise. Very cool!
    I think it’s more that, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, the colour episodes are sort of different in tone to the prior episodes that purists have disdain for them. I personally love them a lot. Won’t spoil furthermore, and let you experience the series from start to finish.

There are many Bond alumnus in it indeed. There’s Donald Pleasance, there’s Charles Gray, the guy who played Mr. Solo and many more.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    1002004010605330.jpg
    BD: Lethal Weapon 1 - 4 (1987-1998) - 5 disc keepcase with sleeve. € 9,00 (New)

9200000077745974.jpg
    BD/DVD: Lego Movie (2014) / Batman Lego Movie (2017) - 6 disc 3D release (Boxset with every movie have his own 3 disc keepcase with 3D BD, BD and DVD) € 13,50 (New)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    M_Balje wrote: »
    1002004010605330.jpg

9200000077745974.jpg
    BD/DVD: Lego Movie (2014) / Batman Lego Movie (2017) - 6 disc 3D release (Boxset with every movie have his own 3 disc keepcase with 3D BD, BD and DVD) € 13,50 (New)

I have been thinking of buying the Lethal Weapon Boxset, though I wish the art work on the box was better.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    M_Balje wrote: »
    1002004010605330.jpg

9200000077745974.jpg

I have been thinking of buying the Lethal Weapon Boxset, though I wish the art work on the box was better.

You got it for a good price
    Final Black Friday amazon order
    All blu ray
    Spider man Homecoming 7
    Alien Covenant 8
    A cure for wellness 7
    Ex machina 4
    The founder 6
    Fury 6
    Why him 6
    Ferris Bueller Day off 6
    Kingsman 6
    Reservoir dogs 7
    Spartacus 8
    Trainspotting 10
    The graduate 7
    Battle of Britain 9
    The dictator 7
    Traffic 7
    Silence 6
    All blu ray
    Spider man Homecoming 7
    Alien Covenant 8
    A cure for wellness 7
    Ex machina 4
    The founder 6
    Fury 6
    Why him 6
    Ferris Bueller Day off 6
    Kingsman 6
    Reservoir dogs 7
    Spartacus 8
    Trainspotting 10
    The graduate 7
    Battle of Britain 9
    The dictator 7
    Traffic 7
    Silence 6

That's some haul I recently bought Battle of Britain On Bluray it has very good aerial scenes also a few Bond connections.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I went to Best Buy for their Black Friday deals. For $4 a piece, I picked up...

Django Unchained
    51Nc8C7SKFL._SX342_.jpg

The Hateful Eight
    91wsDqatYCL._SX342_.jpg

I have yet to see The Hateful Eight but I've heard good things.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) dir. Matt Reeves. Third in the reboot series, and a cracking good film too. This now completes my apes blu-ray collection.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,395
    War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) dir. Matt Reeves. Third in the reboot series, and a cracking good film too. This now completes my apes blu-ray collection.

Likewise I have just ordered this...

51720KoU%2BjL._SY300_.jpg

Got all 8 movies now, it really is a great series.

Also bought this...

189496_slip.jpg

A film I have never seen though I keep hearing great things about this since its 40th Anniversary release, Mark Kermode is one that has been urging people to watch it.
    All blu ray
    Spider man Homecoming 7
    Alien Covenant 8
    A cure for wellness 7
    Ex machina 4
    The founder 6
    Fury 6
    Why him 6
    Ferris Bueller Day off 6
    Kingsman 6
    Reservoir dogs 7
    Spartacus 8
    Trainspotting 10
    The graduate 7
    Battle of Britain 9
    The dictator 7
    Traffic 7
    Silence 6

Nice haul! I'm fond of Ferris Bueller, Spartacus (if it is the 1960 version), The Graduate, and Silence from that list.

Got some anime films today - Akira (1988) and Your Name (2016). Akira is a great classic. Your Name I still have yet to see but I am expecting good things.
  • I just recently saw Your Name. It's a pretty amazing film, along the lines of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
    Glad to hear it. I am definitely looking forward to it. I'm not one of those crazy anime fans, but I definitely enjoy a good one every now and then. Spirited Away (2001) is one of my all-time favorite films.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 6,844
    You and I are probably in the same boat there. There is a vast amount of anime I am positive I will never see—and gladly—and I don't go exploring round the genre as much as I used to, but Your Name was heavily hyped.

As far as anime essentials go, I could very happily live on Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop for the rest of my life.

(Akira is, no doubt, a classic however. As are the works of Miyazaki.)

(And Grave of the Fireflies is another powerful anime film, one I know @Birdleson has expressed fondness for as well.)
    Good picks. I actually preferred Akira over Ghost in the Shell for more adult anime. Thought Ghost in the Shell was alright, but I was not crazy for it. Grave of the Fireflies is excellent. Princess Mononoke, The Castle of Cagliostro, My Neighbor Totoro, and The Wind Rises are all masterpieces from Miyazaki.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,395
    FoxRox wrote: »
    All blu ray
    Spider man Homecoming 7
    Alien Covenant 8
    A cure for wellness 7
    Ex machina 4
    The founder 6
    Fury 6
    Why him 6
    Ferris Bueller Day off 6
    Kingsman 6
    Reservoir dogs 7
    Spartacus 8
    Trainspotting 10
    The graduate 7
    Battle of Britain 9
    The dictator 7
    Traffic 7
    Silence 6

Nice haul! I'm fond of Ferris Bueller, Spartacus (if it is the 1960 version), The Graduate, and Silence from that list.

Got some anime films today - Akira (1988) and Your Name (2016). Akira is a great classic. Your Name I still have yet to see but I am expecting good things.

I have the Ultimate Edition box set of Akira on dvd great anime.
    All blu ray
    Spider man Homecoming 7
    Alien Covenant 8
    A cure for wellness 7
    Ex machina 4
    The founder 6
    Fury 6
    Why him 6
    Ferris Bueller Day off 6
    Kingsman 6
    Reservoir dogs 7
    Spartacus 8
    Trainspotting 10
    The graduate 7
    Battle of Britain 9
    The dictator 7
    Traffic 7
    Silence 6

Nice! It is pretty darn good. I love the soundtrack a lot in particular.
  • I enjoy Ghost in the Shell in a similar respect to Blade Runner—both for its philosophy and as a transporting, mood-setting work of art. As far as plot and characters go, however, I actually enjoy Stand Alone Complex considerably more than the '95 film.
    All blu ray
    Spider man Homecoming 7
    Alien Covenant 8
    A cure for wellness 7
    Ex machina 4
    The founder 6
    Fury 6
    Why him 6
    Ferris Bueller Day off 6
    Kingsman 6
    Reservoir dogs 7
    Spartacus 8
    Trainspotting 10
    The graduate 7
    Battle of Britain 9
    The dictator 7
    Traffic 7
    Silence 6

Nice! It is pretty darn good. I love the soundtrack a lot in particular.

I need to give it a rewatch been a few years though it's ground breaking anime, I dread to think what Hollywood will do with a live action version.
    I found Akira reminded me of Blade Runner. Ghost in the Shell did a bit too; I just preferred the characters and story of Akira. The general look and animation of Akira was also preferable for me.
  • The opening bike chase is a stunning work of animation.
    Oh yeah it’s excellent. The political world of the film also hits pretty close to home - ever so relevant.
    All blu ray
    Spider man Homecoming 7
    Alien Covenant 8
    A cure for wellness 7
    Ex machina 4
    The founder 6
    Fury 6
    Why him 6
    Ferris Bueller Day off 6
    Kingsman 6
    Reservoir dogs 7
    Spartacus 8
    Trainspotting 10
    The graduate 7
    Battle of Britain 9
    The dictator 7
    Traffic 7
    Silence 6

Yes the Kubrick one. Silence is incredible, I’m really looking forward to rewatching it. Its a shame it bombed and literally no ones seen it or heard about it.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,271
    All blu ray
    Spider man Homecoming 7
    Alien Covenant 8
    A cure for wellness 7
    Ex machina 4
    The founder 6
    Fury 6
    Why him 6
    Ferris Bueller Day off 6
    Kingsman 6
    Reservoir dogs 7
    Spartacus 8
    Trainspotting 10
    The graduate 7
    Battle of Britain 9
    The dictator 7
    Traffic 7
    Silence 6

Yes the Kubrick one. Silence is incredible, I’m really looking forward to rewatching it. Its a shame it bombed and literally no ones seen it or heard about it.

Agreed. Honestly it's one of my all-time favorites from Martin Scorsese - and obviously that says a lot. Taxi Driver, After Hours, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, The King of Comedy, and Cape Fear are my other favorites from him. I like many of his other films but those ones are top tier for me.
    Akira is being screened at a theater near me in a few weeks. I'll go see it; it's a long standing debt. I haven't seen the whole thing, but the stadium scene at the end has been embedded into my brain since my childhood.