No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited November 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Why are we even discussing this ?
    Em is a shortened version of Emma and Kincade thought that was what Bond was calling her.
    So,being an old fashioned gentleman ,he calls her Emma.

I think M and Bond even smile slightly when he does it !!

Case closed....next !!

Why not Emily or Emilia?

But I agree it's obvious that Kincade is supposed to think M is short for one of these variations.

Kincade is old and doddery and his hearing is going so he thinks he just didn't catch the 'a' on the end of 'Emma'.

Why would he just pick a name out of the air like that otherwise?

(Can't believe I've even lowered myself to getting involved in debating this which has to be the most pathetic discussion we've ever had on here. Apologies Wizard fans.)

Ho ho ho. I was wondering which numpty would be unable to resist responding to that one. Congrats for falling for it!

Indeed, who cares.

This thread sucks.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    (Can't believe I've even lowered myself to getting involved in debating this which has to be the most pathetic discussion we've ever had on here. Apologies Wizard fans.)
    Didn't the infamous 'codename' theory discussion make an appearance here for a few pages about a year ago? If so, I think that takes the cake, although this could qualify for seconds.
  • Dennison wrote: »
    Totally agree. Also, have I missed something but has anyone in the real world since 9/11 been saying we don't need undercover agents? The premise they set up in SF and SP just seemed like a straw man. Clare Dower in SF and C in SP just didn't have the ring of truth about them. The actual issue in SF was more M's incompetence but that seemed to be forgotten pretty quickly.

@Getafix. I think the could thing about "Skyfall" was the ambivalence of the characters. There's something to say for the points that "M" was making, but also for the arguments from Gareth Mallory (Ralph Fiennes), the successor to Emma Mawdsley (Judi Dench):

"M" no1 (Emma Mawdsley, played by Judi Dench): Yes, she fucked up big time. I mean, are you really globetrotting with taxpayer's money that much, to contain just one rogue agent named James Bond? Not to mention the fact that she compromises the secrecy of MI6 on so many occasions, including the loss of the McGuffin from "Skyfall" (the stolen harddrive) under her leadership. So that shows her incompetence. Still, I do agree heavily with "M"s speech in the Committee Room. It's still necessary to have an intelligence community. And it still is necessary that this should be secret. And in order to counter-attack those people with intentions to destroy a nation, we should indeed realize that they are operating in the shadows. You cannot just accuse nations anymore....the villains have indeed become more opaque. And in order to fight such threats, it is necessary to do battle in the shadows, in uttermost secrecy, and with only a minimum of democratic influence. The more transparency there is about secret intelligence services, the more they are compromised. "M" no1 realized that.

"M" no2 (Gareth Mallory, played by Ralph Fiennes): Yet, I also agree with "M" no2. There is a reason Mallory started this discussion about democratic accountability. "M" no1 fucked up, screwed up badly. There's no other way to say it. Even MI6 is Her Majesty's Government institution. As such it is dependent on the money, direct or indirect, from taxpayers. Under her watch the terrorist attacks in London took place. And it's only normal in a well functioning democracy that there will be a transparent hearing about the disfunctioning MI6, led by "M" no1. But it shows that there's something to say for both arguments from both "M"s, "M" no1 and "M" no2.

That's why "Skyfall" was so fascinating to me. It really tells you something about the intelligence communities and all its complexities. Because it's a matter of what you want: Having a well-functioning secret intelligence service with less democratic accountability? Or having even more democracy and transparency (WikiLeaks-style), and by doing so that the secret intelligence services are functioning less effectively? In the United States this discussion currently is very topical. Trump doesn't give shit about the CIA, nor do his voters. Yet the adament supporters of the CIA -many Republicans- completely disagree.

Having said all that, both "Skyfall" AND "spectre" are perhaps way much more about real current-day espionage than many forummembers in here realize.

The amount of things that those two movies having common with the real world of espionage is just about Zero and probably the only people that think otherwise are people like you. You know the type that hangs on to illusions of grandeur and a supposed higher understanding.

The same could be said of every Bond film!

I'm not denying that at all.
    Dennison wrote: »
    Totally agree. Also, have I missed something but has anyone in the real world since 9/11 been saying we don't need undercover agents? The premise they set up in SF and SP just seemed like a straw man. Clare Dower in SF and C in SP just didn't have the ring of truth about them. The actual issue in SF was more M's incompetence but that seemed to be forgotten pretty quickly.

@Getafix. I think the could thing about "Skyfall" was the ambivalence of the characters. There's something to say for the points that "M" was making, but also for the arguments from Gareth Mallory (Ralph Fiennes), the successor to Emma Mawdsley (Judi Dench):

"M" no1 (Emma Mawdsley, played by Judi Dench): Yes, she fucked up big time. I mean, are you really globetrotting with taxpayer's money that much, to contain just one rogue agent named James Bond? Not to mention the fact that she compromises the secrecy of MI6 on so many occasions, including the loss of the McGuffin from "Skyfall" (the stolen harddrive) under her leadership. So that shows her incompetence. Still, I do agree heavily with "M"s speech in the Committee Room. It's still necessary to have an intelligence community. And it still is necessary that this should be secret. And in order to counter-attack those people with intentions to destroy a nation, we should indeed realize that they are operating in the shadows. You cannot just accuse nations anymore....the villains have indeed become more opaque. And in order to fight such threats, it is necessary to do battle in the shadows, in uttermost secrecy, and with only a minimum of democratic influence. The more transparency there is about secret intelligence services, the more they are compromised. "M" no1 realized that.

"M" no2 (Gareth Mallory, played by Ralph Fiennes): Yet, I also agree with "M" no2. There is a reason Mallory started this discussion about democratic accountability. "M" no1 fucked up, screwed up badly. There's no other way to say it. Even MI6 is Her Majesty's Government institution. As such it is dependent on the money, direct or indirect, from taxpayers. Under her watch the terrorist attacks in London took place. And it's only normal in a well functioning democracy that there will be a transparent hearing about the disfunctioning MI6, led by "M" no1. But it shows that there's something to say for both arguments from both "M"s, "M" no1 and "M" no2.

That's why "Skyfall" was so fascinating to me. It really tells you something about the intelligence communities and all its complexities. Because it's a matter of what you want: Having a well-functioning secret intelligence service with less democratic accountability? Or having even more democracy and transparency (WikiLeaks-style), and by doing so that the secret intelligence services are functioning less effectively? In the United States this discussion currently is very topical. Trump doesn't give shit about the CIA, nor do his voters. Yet the adament supporters of the CIA -many Republicans- completely disagree.

Having said all that, both "Skyfall" AND "spectre" are perhaps way much more about real current-day espionage than many forummembers in here realize.

The amount of things that those two movies having common with the real world of espionage is just about Zero and probably the only people that think otherwise are people like you. You know the type that hangs on to illusions of grandeur and a supposed higher understanding.

The same could be said of every Bond film!

I'm not denying that at all.

Of course old bean.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »
    Didn't the infamous 'codename' theory discussion make an appearance here for a few pages about a year ago? If so, I think that takes the cake, although this could qualify for seconds.

Ah the legendary codename thread with the epic 'visiting graves of your dead colleagues' riff. Classic stuff.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ah, yes. How could I forget about that little doozy. Tell me Wiz, have you finished your whistle stop tour of the graves of your various colleagues, acquaintances, distant friends and their cats yet?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2017 Posts: 4,399
    i see @Gustav_Graves is still up to his usual nuttery.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i see @Gustav_Graves is still up to his usual nuttery.

You need to sign his petition!
    jake24 wrote: »
    Yann Demange looks set to do another series of "Top Boy' for 2019.
    http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/netflix-british-drug-dealer-drama-top-boy-1202609880/
    Does this rule him out?
    Demange will only executive-produce the series, not direct.
    Are you sure? The article mentions Demange will be one of the executive producers, but does not mention whether he will direct some of the episodes or not.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »
    Yann Demange looks set to do another series of "Top Boy' for 2019.
    http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/netflix-british-drug-dealer-drama-top-boy-1202609880/
    Does this rule him out?
    Demange will only executive-produce the series, not direct.
    Are you sure? The article mentions Demange will be one of the executive producers, but does not mention whether he will direct some of the episodes or not.
    The implication, I believe, is that Demange will only executive produce. Nevertheless, it's included in the timeline.
  • Looking forward to more Top Boy. One of the best dramas we've done recently imo, usually nowadays all the good stuff is coming from America.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    You know? When Baz Bamigboye said "Bond 25 is a long way off," now I know what he meant. Sure, every stone is still being set in the right place and we've gotten more news this year than the preceding 12 months, but I can see the impatience slowly eating up the fans. Do you think they'll announce the distributors along with the director at the same time? Possibly in January?
    Do you think they'll announce the distributors along with the director at the same time? Possibly in January?
    Yes, they absolutely have to announce both in January. I don't think they have any other choice. No big announcements by the end of January = big trouble.
    Do you think they'll announce the distributors along with the director at the same time? Possibly in January?
    Yes, they absolutely have to announce both in January. I don't think they have any other choice. No big announcements by the end of January = big trouble.
    Well, if it could mean delaying the film... I'd say 'Oh dear!'.
    My guess is late spring 2018 for major announcements.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    shamanimal wrote: »
    If the next Bond film doesn't start with a bad bastard villain doing something diabolical, then Tanner saying to M ..."there's only one man who can help, we need him back, sir"...

...then I'm not watching it.

You mean the real Tanner?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    They at least have a story, not a script, but the outlines of a story - they have to.. Because they had to have sold Craig on something to return..
  • HASEROT wrote: »
    They at least have a story, not a script, but the outlines of a story - they have to.. Because they had to have sold Craig on something to return..

Judging from the quality of the last movies (which was obviously very sufficient for him)
    all they need is a paycheck.
    @noSolaceleft Sykfall is pretty much as good as a Bond movie can possibly get. NOBODY signes up for a Bond movie expecting a result better than Skyfall.
    @noSolaceleft Sykfall is pretty much as good as a Bond movie can possibly get. NOBODY signes up for a Bond movie expecting a result better than Skyfall.

That’s how I feel about SF honestly. Next-best thing to CR for a very long time.
    I wouldn't go banco on that, old chap.
    CR and SF are arguably 2 of the better/best films in the franchise.. Those are high water marks tough to reach.. I'd be ok with another SP, stylisticlly and tonally- just cut out all the stupid crap. (and I don't mean gags.. more like useless personal drama, shoehorned double endings)..
    .... Oh and blowing a good chunk of budget just to get a Guinness Record... FFS.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Exclusive: Denis Villeneuve Admits He’s Been In Contact About Next James Bond, But ‘Dune’ Is Next
    https://theplaylist.net/denis-villeneuve-james-bond-but-dune-20171109/

In September, a report claimed Daniel Craig’s first choice for the follow up to “Spectre” was Villeneuve. The Canadian filmmaker was also listed as one of the producer’s top three picks. When I asked him about whether he’d be directing the new 007 flick Villeneuve kept the door open, but seemed to infer his priority was “Dune.”

“The thing is I don’t now about that, but listen,” Villeneuve says. “Daniel Craig is a very inspiring actor and I had some contact and the thing is that I’m busy right now doing ‘Dune.’ But, I will say to have the privilege to work with him it would be a dream. I would love to work with Daniel and a Bond movie for me would be a treat. It’s a matter of timing, I guess.”
  • @noSolaceleft Sykfall is pretty much as good as a Bond movie can possibly get. NOBODY signes up for a Bond movie expecting a result better than Skyfall.

Well, I do and I expect a few others to do just as well. It is called demanding, just as you do when you want something to be good. You should really read at least one book in your lifetime that features a coherent story, just to know what you are missing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dune will take up a lot of Villeneuve's time, and I haven't heard much regarding its production lately, so it may not even be until mid-2018 before it would begin, which will keep him out of contention. Though I'd love to be wrong and have Dune complete a while before B25 so he could take over.
    This is what I anticipated. His priority and passion is Dune. I'm not all that fussed. I'm interested to see who they go with if it's not him and what that means for the tone and direction.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Exclusive: Denis Villeneuve Admits He’s Been In Contact About Next James Bond, But ‘Dune’ Is Next

In September, a report claimed Daniel Craig’s first choice for the follow up to “Spectre” was Villeneuve. The Canadian filmmaker was also listed as one of the producer’s top three picks. When I asked him about whether he’d be directing the new 007 flick Villeneuve kept the door open, but seemed to infer his priority was “Dune.”

“The thing is I don’t now about that, but listen,” Villeneuve says. “Daniel Craig is a very inspiring actor and I had some contact and the thing is that I’m busy right now doing ‘Dune.’ But, I will say to have the privilege to work with him it would be a dream. I would love to work with Daniel and a Bond movie for me would be a treat. It’s a matter of timing, I guess.”

I think it's time EON Productions hires one of these directors:

--> Steven Soderbergh
    --> Yann Demange
    --> Christopher Nolan, or
    --> David MacKenzie
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

oh no, specifically there are 20 bond movies better than skyfall, and spectre is one of them ;)

--> Steven Soderbergh
    --> Yann Demange
    --> David MacKenzie

Not soderbergh, what does he know about film making after logan lucky and oceans 12.
    The others would all be great though
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

--> Steven Soderbergh
    --> Yann Demange
    --> David MacKenzie
    I can't say I'd be too thrilled with any of these, tbh.