No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Roll on something official and soon please!!!!!!!!!
    SP is sitting pretty at #11 atm in my rankings.
    Spectre is an alright Bond film.
  • shamanimal wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    What's obvious though is that people get wound up by radically different things. I agree with you that compared to a lot of the garbage EON has served up over the past 25 years SP is actually a moderately decent entry, but there are those on here who can never overlook or forgive Brofeldgate or the other myriad crimes which SP allegedly commits.

I find the moaning about SPECTRE as baffling as the praise heaped on Moonraker. But I'm an older fan whose first Bond flick was Live and Let Die. I've seen the trends change. I remember Raymond Benson hailing Licence to Kill as "the best Bond film since Thunderball", the Moore era was so frowned upon!

But really, this thread is about which direction to go in. And if we're talking about humour versus realism, I'd say SPECTRE struck the right balance. Stylistically, SPECTRE was pretty much spot-on in its tone. The jokes didn't compromise the danger. It just lacked a meaty story that would elevate it from a middling Bond yarn, to a classic Bond flick.

Fully agree with both @shamanimal and @Getafix. By the way, welcome to the forums @shamanimal
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,162
    Personally I'm quite happy Dan is back for a fifth. It marks a return to the long term stability that characterised the much loved tenures of Sean and Rog.

I was really hoping this thread would get a refresh though. It's long overdue. Same old comments again and again - often without even the slightest hint of a Fleming influence. The continuity on here is getting beyond a joke. Is it really necessary to link every post directly to the previous one ad infinitum? The writing has gone down hill too - arguments full of holes and often barely coherent. Same old Scooby Gang day after day.

Fresh blood is needed. And some news!

I'm sorry but the current state of the franchise to me doesn't display much of stability. Quite the opposite in fact. Also - and despite many guarantees ( and even more insults )from "experts" on this forum - I'm still not in the very least convinced that EON really signed Craig for 25.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    In 2019 when the next film is released, there will have only been one Bond film in the preceding 7 years - namely, SP. The film which even proponents call 'alright' or 'middling Bond yarn' or 'moderately decent'. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

That 7 year duration in the past pretty much gave us all of Brosnan's, Dalton's and Laz's eras and most of Connery's (it certainly gave us DN, FRWL, GF, TB & YOLT which are the best of his era). It's a duration even under this iteration that pretty much gave us CR, QoS, and SF. Two of those films are highly regarded by the general public and one appears to be highly regarded by the fanbase on this forum.

So ultimately I think they have to work on getting these films released more often. Even if there is a dud among them, folks can at least look forward to the next one in a few years, which they may like more. I think there will be far less moaning if they went down this path. Time to get the 'sausage factory' back online imho.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    shamanimal wrote: »
    What's obvious though is that people get wound up by radically different things. I agree with you that compared to a lot of the garbage EON has served up over the past 25 years SP is actually a moderately decent entry, but there are those on here who can never overlook or forgive Brofeldgate or the other myriad crimes which SP allegedly commits.

I find the moaning about SPECTRE as baffling as the praise heaped on Moonraker. But I'm an older fan whose first Bond flick was Live and Let Die. I've seen the trends change. I remember Raymond Benson hailing Licence to Kill as "the best Bond film since Thunderball", the Moore era was so frowned upon!

But really, this thread is about which direction to go in. And if we're talking about humour versus realism, I'd say SPECTRE struck the right balance. Stylistically, SPECTRE was pretty much spot-on in its tone. The jokes didn't compromise the danger. It just lacked a meaty story that would elevate it from a middling Bond yarn, to a classic Bond flick.

This is the tragedy.

In so many aspects it comes so close and after we were sold an epic to rival OHMSS in the trailer it's the disappointment of the 'Dog ate my homework' hastily cobbled together script that kills us.

Objectively it's a much clsssier affair than half the entries but it just couldn't live up to its own billing so it's seem as a crushing disappointment when in reality it's merely average.
  • Here is an idea, there is a time window between QOS to Skyfall. In which Craig's Bond could be on a solo mission not attached to the other side story. Even leaves door open for M Dame Judi to return, as she would would not yet have met her fate.

Would be probably just as believable as the 10 year older A. Hopkins playing a younger Hanibal Lecter in the prequel of the silence of the lamb's.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Objectively it's a much clsssier affair than half the entries but it just couldn't live up to its own billing so it's seem as a crushing disappointment when in reality it's merely average.
    That's exactly how I feel about Spectre. Well said, Wiz.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    So we can add 'merely average' to 'alright', 'middling Bond yarn' & 'moderately decent'.
    That's exactly how I feel about Spectre. Well said, Wiz.

Although let's be unequivocal: stepbrothergate is a war crime of an idea and the people who thought this could fly should be rounded up and face justice.

Be great to have some sort of Nuremburg scenario where the extras and crew are paraded in front of the eyes of the world to testify 'I heard Sam Mendes say 'wouldn't this be a good idea' to Babs and she nodded.'

I'd happily lead the prosecution to make sure none of them were allowed on a Bond set again: Simon Wizenthal if you will.
  • Here is an idea, there is a time window between QOS to Skyfall. In which Craig's Bond could be on a solo mission not attached to the other side story. Even leaves door open for M Dame Judi to return, as she would would not yet have met her fate.

I can't see it happening but I like it. That way they can go stand alone while not undermining SP. Best of both worlds.

Great post. I agree.
    Here is an idea, there is a time window between QOS to Skyfall. In which Craig's Bond could be on a solo mission not attached to the other side story. Even leaves door open for M Dame Judi to return, as she would would not yet have met her fate.

I can't see it happening but I like it. That way they can go stand alone while not undermining SP. Best of both worlds.

Craig is too old to be put into a film between QOS & SF,both made 5 and 9 years ago.

I'm still not in the very least convinced that EON really signed Craig for 25.
    Will you please finally STOP with this nonsense?
    I'm still not in the very least convinced that EON really signed Craig for 25.
    Will you please finally STOP with this nonsense?

Clearly an act of provocation.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,756

Spectre is a huge insult to Bond fans.

Stylistically spot on? You mean the sudden shifts between silly and campy, to sombre; from a Simpsons couch gag, to a scene of someone begging to die of radiation poisoning who lost everything, who commits suicide on screen, and Bond so used it to that he doesn't react? Then we have scenes of Blofeld being mad cause daddy like Bond better, to Blofeld begging Bond to kill him (extremely out of character, might I add). Supposedly this is his childhood step brother, meh he doesn't care, might as well been Joe Blow for all we care. Then we have an obnoxious Bond fan service at the end, which makes me roll my eyes everytime.

No action scene in Spectre had any danger. Maybe the helicopter scene, where Bond was trying to land a helicopter safely by punching and killing the pilots.

- Bond blows up a whole building and lands on a sofa, no biggie. No police alert, must happen often.
    - Bond has some baddie on his back rudely interrupting putting pressure on his phone call to Moneypenny while they do some cool turns in Rome.
    - Snowplane fight, no steaks at all except saving the daughter of someone we don't care about yet. So we have Bond flying around doing... something? Trying to land on the cars I guess? Then he does by utter convenience and unconvincing timing. It's 90% hype 10% payoff.
    - The train scene is the only good fight scene and it also ends on coincidence. Also where the hell are the people on the train while this was happening? Makes absolutely no sense, and it takes me out of the action everytime. There are no steaks again, because the only steak is Bond dying, which we know he won't. Then Blofeld sends a car out for Bond, on purpose, after Hinx tried to kill him, so he tried to kill him but planned the car meeting in the middle of nowhere. Makes sense!
    - Fight scene at the Lair might as well have been a video game, no steaks, no tension, and the explosion was extremely lackluster; shot on one camera so we don't get any spectacle of the explosion.
    - London is a joke. The scene with Bond walking through MI6 is insulting. Blofeld putting pictures of people on a wall? What the f**k? Then Blofeld tells him you must escape! Cue "action scene" aka Bond running around, who then hears a screaming (and gagged, because that makes sense) Madeleine, whom he saves, for the final "action scene" where Bond fires a few bullets and takes down the Blofeld helicopter........................... yay? Exciting?

Stylistically spot on? You mean the sudden shifts between silly and campy, to sombre; from a Simpsons couch gag, to a scene of someone begging to die of radiation poisoning who lost everything, who commits suicide on screen, and Bond so used it to that he doesn't react? Then we have scenes of Blofeld being mad cause daddy like Bond better, to Blofeld begging Bond to kill him (extremely out of character, might I add). Supposedly this is his childhood step brother, meh he doesn't care, might as well been Joe Blow for all we care. Then we have an obnoxious Bond fan service at the end, which makes me roll my eyes everytime.

No action scene in Spectre had any danger. Maybe the helicopter scene, where Bond was trying to land a helicopter safely by punching and killing the pilots.

- Bond blows up a whole building and lands on a sofa, no biggie. No police alert, must happen often.
    - Bond has some baddie on his back rudely interrupting putting pressure on his phone call to Moneypenny while they do some cool turns in Rome.
    - Snowplane fight, no steaks at all except saving the daughter of someone we don't care about yet. So we have Bond flying around doing... something? Trying to land on the cars I guess? Then he does by utter convenience and unconvincing timing. It's 90% hype 10% payoff.
    - The train scene is the only good fight scene and it also ends on coincidence. Also where the hell are the people on the train while this was happening? Makes absolutely no sense, and it takes me out of the action everytime. There are no steaks again, because the only steak is Bond dying, which we know he won't. Then Blofeld sends a car out for Bond, on purpose, after Hinx tried to kill him, so he tried to kill him but planned the car meeting in the middle of nowhere. Makes sense!
    - Fight scene at the Lair might as well have been a video game, no steaks, no tension, and the explosion was extremely lackluster; shot on one camera so we don't get any spectacle of the explosion.
    - London is a joke. The scene with Bond walking through MI6 is insulting. Blofeld putting pictures of people on a wall? What the f**k? Then Blofeld tells him you must escape! Cue "action scene" aka Bond running around, who then hears a screaming (and gagged, because that makes sense) Madeleine, whom he saves, for the final "action scene" where Bond fires a few bullets and takes down the Blofeld helicopter........................... yay? Exciting?

Spectre is amazing.

Dont forget the countdown to 9 Eyes going live which packs in all the tension of the average episode of The One Show.
    Dennison wrote: »

Spectre is amazing.

• CASINOROYALECASINOROYALE Somewhere hot
    Sigh... Everyone keeps saying back on topic for a movie coming out in 2019. We won’t get any real news until spring 2018.. If that... Come on guys..

Dont forget the countdown to 9 Eyes going live which packs in all the tension of the average episode of The One Show.

Oh no! If the arbitrary Nine Eyes countdown strikes zero then the bad guys are going to have surveillance of literally nothing useful! Truly on the edge of my seat!
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Today marks two years until bond 25 is released!

Oh no! If the arbitrary Nine Eyes countdown strikes zero then the bad guys are going to have surveillance of literally nothing useful! Truly on the edge of my seat!

Shut it down before zero or 5 minutes after zero who cares as the bad guys will have been able to watch stuff for 5 mins. Unless the President and Prime Minister are going to tell each other the nuclear codes over the phone bang on zero then, given its gone midnight, all you're likely to see is footage of Teresa May having a cup of Horlicks in bed and reading an Agatha Christie.
    Today marks two years until bond 25 is released!

Which means it's under 2 years until it's released in the UK!
  • shamanimal wrote: »

Stylistically spot on? You mean the sudden shifts between silly and campy ...... Bond fires a few bullets and takes down the Blofeld helicopter........................... yay? Exciting?

The tone of the film was fine by me. It was only the guy with the airbag fainting that made me wince. One wince per Bond film is pretty mild, I think. I remember Tarzan Yells and pigeons, y'know.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy SPECTRE, and felt insulted. I enjoyed it very much.
    "There are no steaks again," making me hungry
    patb wrote: »
    "There are no steaks again," making me hungry

Hahaha I noticed that Pat,and had the same reaction...I'm bloody starving now.

• Interesting lines of discourse. I see both MR and SP in the same camp, though they are worlds apart in execution -- they both are exercises in missed opportunity. MR actually had a great plot -- one clue led to another and another piece of the puzzle. A shuttle, a logo, an octagonal blueprint, a glass factory, a mysterious liquid, etc. The comedy got in the way. In SP, the right balance of humor and drama was there, but there was little to no edge to it. Compare the fight on the train in FRWL to the one in SP (and they want you too, make no mistake). The SP fight felt lifeless. or how about that "exciting" low-speed chase through the empty streets of Rome? Or Blofeld's lair which serves no purpose other than to blow up? I think that where good scripting comes into play. It's not enough to have a great plot idea; you need to polish the script so that each and every scene is sharp as a razor's edge ... or as close as you can come to that. I'd love to see a remake of MR because I hated it and know that the same plot, done better, could have been a winner. I mourn the loss of the chance for a great return of Blofeld but after SP, it's too soon to do that again. Just one fan's opinion.