"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    vzok wrote: »
    Klavan isn't the worst defender they have.

Christ I know we're bad but there's someone sniffing at the four time Estonian footballer of the year's heels for the shittest player stealing a living in the league?

Who might that be? Don't tell me we've still got Djimi 'CL winners medal' Traore on the books?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Whoever takes over at Everton has got their work cut out for them?!!

I think Sean Dyche would be mad to touch them with a barge-pole..much better staying at Burnley for now.

You're right. Why would a Dyche or a Silva go there when if they keep on as they are a big club will come in for them? One of Spurs (Pocc will get poached by a bigger club before long), Liverpool (our current relegation defence going to get you sacked sooner or later Jurgen), Chelsea (things certainly not right at the moment and we know Roman doesn't hang around when it comes to pulling the trigger) and Arsenal (we all know it will never happen but at some point you'd imagine sanity would dawn on them) will surely be after a new manager in the next 12 months so why make the jump to a club at the bottom?

Big Sam the only possible option if Everton want to safeguard being in the league next season.

I agree...it's Big Sam or ciao to the PL....they are shocking atm.

If we really want to stitch them up we should offer Big Sam 10m to the end of the season to be our defensive coach. Organising a back four is all we need and if it sent them down and got us top 4 cheap money well spent - which, for the club that bought Klavan and Karius, would be a novelty.

Defence and attack in any team is part of one overall philosophy. It is not only about organizing a back four, it is about how eleven players defend as a unit. A back four would act completely different in a club that is pressing high in a 4-3-3 than in a team which is defending deep in a 4-4-2.
    jobo wrote: »

I think Sean Dyche would be mad to touch them with a barge-pole..much better staying at Burnley for now.

You're right. Why would a Dyche or a Silva go there when if they keep on as they are a big club will come in for them? One of Spurs (Pocc will get poached by a bigger club before long), Liverpool (our current relegation defence going to get you sacked sooner or later Jurgen), Chelsea (things certainly not right at the moment and we know Roman doesn't hang around when it comes to pulling the trigger) and Arsenal (we all know it will never happen but at some point you'd imagine sanity would dawn on them) will surely be after a new manager in the next 12 months so why make the jump to a club at the bottom?

Big Sam the only possible option if Everton want to safeguard being in the league next season.

If we really want to stitch them up we should offer Big Sam 10m to the end of the season to be our defensive coach. Organising a back four is all we need and if it sent them down and got us top 4 cheap money well spent - which, for the club that bought Klavan and Karius, would be a novelty.

Defence and attack in any team is part of one overall philosophy. It is not only about organizing a back four, it is about how eleven players defend as a unit. A back four would act completely different in a club that is pressing high in a 4-3-3 than in a team which is defending deep in a 4-4-2.

That's very true in open play but there's no 'philosophy' (we used to call it tactics in the good old days - when did managers all become the Dali Lama?) at defending corners. Just pick up a man and get your f-bombing head on it. It really is that simple.

And it seems beyond Jurgen to get his team to do that.

Christ I know we're bad but there's someone sniffing at the four time Estonian footballer of the year's heels for the shittest player stealing a living in the league?

Who might that be? Don't tell me we've still got Djimi 'CL winners medal' Traore on the books?

Lovren is as bad as Klavan, but with less confidence, worse injury record, higher salary, higher transfer fee.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117

Lovren is as bad as Klavan, but with less confidence, worse injury record, higher salary, higher transfer fee.

At present I would agree.

But Lovren does have good performances in his locker whereas Klavan's locker is chock full of misplaced passes, losing his man at set pieces and shinning balls into his own net and nothing more.

If Matip (who is decent but nothing more) breaks his leg tomorrow Jurgen will be gone by Christmas as we'll be 10th at best. You have to question a manager who puts himself in a position like that.

Koeman left himself with no cover up top and look what happened to him.
    jobo wrote: »

That's very true in open play but there's no 'philosophy' (we used to call it tactics in the good old days - when did managers all become the Dali Lama?) at defending corners. Just pick up a man and get your f-bombing head on it. It really is that simple.

And it seems beyond Jurgen to get his team to do that.

Set pieces are a different matter of course.
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15117/10985307/liverpools-set-piece-problem-exposed-in-3-3-draw-with-watford

That's nothing to do with any philosophy that's just basic training ground drilling of defenders that every coach aspiring for the top 4 should be able to do in their sleep.

And that article was written on the first day of the season. Christ knows how many it is now. 2 more against Spurs spring to mind a couple of weeks ago just for starters.
    Unless money talks, Dyche and Silva would be crazy to go to Everton. They are making two very solid teams in Burnley and Watford (two teams I'm not ashamed to admit enjoy watching), and I wouldn't be surprised if they challenge both Liverpool and Arsenal for the places behind the two Manchester teams and Sp*rs (ugh!).
    Wolves cement their position at the top of the EFL!
  • football? i thought this was a NFL thread , a real manly sport not some prancies faking injuries every minute, european football is boring!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Rasputin wrote: »
    football? i thought this was a NFL thread , a real manly sport not some prancies faking injuries every minute, european football is boring!

NFL is more comparable to Rugby and when I played Rugby we did not wear a helmet and protective pads.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,293
    Pancies? Thinking about all the horror injuries and numerous fights on the field, I wouldn't say so. Faking injuries? Well, I guess it's much too easy to trick the refs.

Also, these two:
    vieira.gif?w=578&h=260
    Things were never boring with this duo playing.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 7,500
    No reason to take petty, American nationalism seriously. At the end of the day football is a global phenomenon, followed with religious passion all over the globe. American Football is hardly even the most popular sport inside the US. So I'm not sure which is the most boring...

Football's popularity is groving rapidly in USA. Give it another 20/30 years, and I think football will have surpassed American football in popularity even there. How interesting can it be to watch guys in armor jump on top of each other in a wormhole, and then cheer every time your team has advanced ten meters?
    Don't rise to the bait chaps. I mean seriously NFL? There's not even a debate to be had.

And 'European' football? It's actually the global game and here's only one country that doesn't get it.
    Don't rise to the bait chaps. I mean seriously NFL? There's not even a debate to be had.

And 'European' football? It's actually the global game and here's only one country that doesn't get it.

Actually I think they do get it. The resistence is more about nationalism than anything.
    Murray scores his fourth goal in three matches! Must be in quite good form these days.
    What on earth is going on?!!! 2 down to the bottom club at half time! Sort it out boys and FAST!!!!
    What on earth is going on?!!! 2 down to the bottom club at half time! Sort it out boys and FAST!!!!

Oh, that's not good. Tettey playing these days?

Hey Wiz, is Mohamed Salah nearly as good or as good as Coutinho ? as i told you when they signed him, which you very much doubted my opinion at the time.

Which is fine, as you are clueless when it comes to Football.... :)

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Great win for The Cherries, taking them out of the relegation zone.
    Just hope the boys in Blue can give Jose what for.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117
    001 wrote: »

Hey Wiz, is Mohamed Salah nearly as good or as good as Coutinho ? as i told you when they signed him, which you very much doubted my opinion at the time.

No he's not.

Ask Barca if they want to give us 130m for him and you'll have your answer.

And bear in mind even Klavan and Minger would be embarrassed to be a part of West Ham's defence let's not get too excited about a tap in and a decent finish albeit with about 5 hours to take a touch and pick his spot.

By our dire transfer business he's looking decent but he's hardly running games single handedly.

Everyone ecstatic because we've won 4 in a row against Huddersfield, Maribor (twice) and West Ham. When we start beating the top teams instead of getting destroyed by them I might start thinking we've turned a corner but if even woeful West Ham are scoring against us still nothing has been addressed defensively and better teams will exploit it.
    Not being able to beat the rubbish teams was a large part of LFC's problem last year.

No he's not.

And bear in mind even Klavan and Minger would be embarrassed to be a part of West Ham's defence let's not get too excited about a tap in and a decent finish albeit with about 5 hours to take a touch and pick his spot.

By our dire transfer business he's looking decent but he's hardly running games single handedly.

Everyone ecstatic because we've won 4 in a row against Huddersfield, Maribor (twice) and West Ham. When we start beating the top teams instead of getting destroyed by them I might start thinking we've turned a corner but if even woeful West Ham are scoring against us still nothing has been addressed defensively and better teams will exploit it.

This season playing for Liverpool, Salah is a better player than Coutinho, EASILY.........

Barcelona's offer means jack shit when it comes to answers.....

Sadio Mane makes a big difference to Liverpool too.
    Watched the Liverpool-West Ham last night. Not surprised by the result, but Joe Hart sure did not get any help from his defence.
    Watched the Liverpool-West Ham last night. Not surprised by the result, but Joe Hart sure did not get any help from his defence.

He was head and shoulders above the other defenders
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,293
    Just a thought: Would Liverpool have looked more secure in the defence with Hart as their goalkeeper?
    Sadio Mane makes a big difference to Liverpool too.

Very true.

With his precise finish for Liverpool's fourth goal late in the second half, he took his tally for the season to 12 in 16 appearances in all competitions. Harry Kane is the only Premier League player to have scored more. It is only November and Salah is just two goals short of matching top scorer Philippe Coutinho's tally for the whole of last season.

Impressive stuff.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11114231/mohamed-salah-shines-again-for-liverpool-against-west-ham

No he's not.

This season playing for Liverpool, Salah is a better player than Coutinho, EASILY.........

Oh we're only counting this season are we? Nice of you to tell me the rules. Given Cout has barely played then I'll agree Salah has been better but then so has Glen Murray of Brighton.

No he's not.

Oh we're only counting this season are we? Nice of you to tell me the rules. Given Cout has barely played then I'll agree Salah has been better but then so has Glen Murray of Brighton.

Salah is just two goals short of matching top scorer Philippe Coutinho's tally for the whole of last season.

Coutinho is a dead man walking for Liverpool. He has lost the desire to play for us.
    All day he thinks of going to Barca.