"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    Come on Northern Ireland tonight !!!

Thanks for the reminder! Had totally forgotten that the internationals starts today – will tune in to that one. :-)

Thanks for the reminder! Had totally forgotten that the internationals starts today – will tune in to that one. :-)

My mum was Northern Irish and her mum Irish so I have a lot to cheer them on for tonight haha !!

My mum was Northern Irish and her mum Irish so I have a lot to cheer them on for tonight haha !!

Best of luck then, @barryt007! First game in a long time where I'm a neutral, but I'll be cheering for the home team!

Best of luck then, @barryt007! First game in a long time where I'm a neutral, but I'll be cheering for the home team!

Thanks mate...just avoid the away goal !
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,333

I'm sure Michael O'Neill's squad can get the job done without conceding goals!

Man, that's a horrible tackle by Schär!

That's disgusting....red card all day...referee bottled it.

That's disgusting....red card all day...referee bottled it.

He didn't go into that tackle slowly, that's for sure!
    Croatia are putting Greece to the sword ,3-1 atm...I love the split screen facility from Sky,so I can watch both matches at the same time .
    Croatia are putting Greece to the sword ,3-1 atm...I love the split screen facility from Sky,so I can watch both matches at the same time .

Another goal? Greece had just scored when I checked only a little while ago. Must be quite the match.

Another goal? Greece had just scored when I checked only a little while ago. Must be quite the match.

Greece' defence will lose them qualification at this rate...terrible.
    It's a long way from Euro 2004 for Greece, this. But they've scored the one goal. Might get the chance to put another one in the net.
    Is THAT a penalty?! Wow...Just wow!

What a joke....fuck this.

The ball hit his back, didn't it?

Yep....now they are up against it because of some dickhead officials mistake...that country has fought over so many months to get here and they get that.

Yep....now they are up against it because of some dickhead officials mistake...that country has fought over so many months to get here and they get that.

Ridiculous! Must have been possible for the officials to see the difference from an arm and the back. It's not like his arms were in an outwards position either.
    Feel for Ireland tonight, I think we can also say that Croatia are basically there can't we?
    Croatia definitely,Greece were awful.

Croatia definitely upped their game when needed...one to watch.
    Ireland will need to produce something special to win,they didn't play well last night even though the non-sending off and 'penalty' were disgusting decisions.

Ireland will need to produce something special to win,they didn't play well last night even though the non-sending off and 'penalty' were disgusting decisions.

Not seen them yet, so will check it out on the Sports news. From what I have heard and read? It ain't good in the slightest!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Not seen them yet, so will check it out on the Sports news. From what I have heard and read? It ain't good in the slightest!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQO8Q13qpQ8W1JgqtbvvxMFtp5JXZRUEhfFFcUpVqqo071HX5YMew
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117

Just seen the NI travesty. Utterly ridiculous. Even Howard Webb would've been ashamed to give that at Old Trafford.

You wonder if the Swiss have requested a bit of help from FIFA in exchange for not investigating their dodgy deeds to closely?

Hey Hey Hey, no swearing please.

Controversial Switzerland penalty would have been automatically reviewed by a Video Assistant Referee.

Where the fuck is VAR. :)
    001 wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQO8Q13qpQ8W1JgqtbvvxMFtp5JXZRUEhfFFcUpVqqo071HX5YMew

That decision by the ref certainly was! How on earth is that a penalty? Simple? It is not one!!!
    I have this strange feeling no one here would complain about the penalty of it was given to the Irish. ;)
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Thought about going to Wembley tonight. Checked the website and as of Wednesday they still had tickets for £35 and it only takes me 40 mins on the tube so given it's England v Germany it really is a no brainer.

Except I really can't be arsed.

I'm genuinely looking forward to this match about as much as going to 'An Evening With Rory Kinnear' (actually at least that would have some kitsch value).

How is this possible? It's England v The Hun for Christ's sake. It doesn't get any bigger but the apathy uninspiring yes men like hapless Roy and now Gareth 'That's a CV that gets you the England job these days? Are you winding me up?' Southgate have ground us down to has left us utterly bereft of anything approaching enthusiasm.

Was talking to a mate the other day and we concluded we'll be exceptionally lucky to get out of the group in Russia.

At least back in the day we used to have hope. We've been stripped of even that now.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Thought about going to Wembley tonight. Checked the website and as of Wednesday they still had tickets for £35 and it only takes me 40 mins on the tube so given it's England v Germany it really is a no brainer.

I'm genuinely looking forward to this match about as much as going to 'An Evening With Rory Kinnear' (actually at least that would have some kitsch value).

How is this possible? It's England v The Hun for Christ's sake. It doesn't get any bigger but the apathy uninspiring yes men like hapless Roy and now Gareth 'That's a CV that gets you the England job these days? Are you winding me up?' Southgate have ground us down to has left us utterly bereft of anything approaching enthusiasm.

Was talking to a mate the other day and we concluded we'll be exceptionally lucky to get out of the group in Russia.

At least back in the day we used to have hope. We've been stripped of even that now.

Have you seen the team southgate is starting wiz? Get the log burner on!
    Patrice Evra gets a 7 month ban for THAT kick .
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,333
    At least good ol' England have the chance to qualify for international tournaments. Wouldn't go to a Norway-match if I got tickets for free. Lagerbäck might turn things around, but meh. Rather spend that money on a few Rosenborg matches.

He's what - 36 now? Wonder if we see him at that level of football again...
    At least good ol' England have the chance to qualify for international tournaments. Wouldn't go to a Norway-match if I got tickets for free. Lagerbäck might turn things around, but meh. Rather spend that money on a few Rosenborg matches.

He's what - 36 now? Wonder if we see him at that level of football again...

Now Marseille have sacked him which makes good business sense - no point having a bloke that age on the wage bill.
    DCisared wrote: »

Have you seen the team southgate is starting wiz? Get the log burner on!

Realistically there's about 4 players in this starting lineup who have decent shout of getting on the plane. We might have even gone backwards since Iceland.

Jesus Christ it's the Krauts practically on Remembrance Day - which is ironic given the gulf in class means we could be in for a repeat of the Somme - but I can't get up for this in the slightest.

Get away with anything better than 2-0 and I will count it as a right result.
    Only twenty seconds into the Sweden-Italy game, and the first elbow has been given, and the first yellow card. How will this game turn out? :-D