"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

RogueAgent wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Here we go again :

WEST HAM HAVE SACKED MANAGER SLAVAN BILIC .

Yep! Just came up on Sky News! Crazy days yet again indeed!

Hardly. He's been on the brink for a year and they are utter shite.

The guy looked broken on Saturday after the match. Crazy would be to continue with him when you've got hundreds of millions at stake.

True, but you could say that about a majority of clubs in the Premier League. Who ever comes in will be under as much scrutiny as the new Everton Manager....etc.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,333
    What on earth is going on?!!! 2 down to the bottom club at half time! Sort it out boys and FAST!!!!

Oh, that's not good. Tettey playing these days?

Tettey has an injury, but recovering, our attacking options have been decimated for some time now which is why we are barely scoring any goals. Hopefully the international break will give us time to regroup.

Did not know that. Hopefully him and the others out injured come back strong as ever! With Tettey being a former Rosenborg player, I would like to see him in the PL again.
    Here we go again :

Rumour has is Moyes is signing an 'rest of the season'-contract?
    Its looking that way,but the West Ham fans don't seem to want him at all.

Could do lot worse than him? Allardyce could be an option maybe, but West Ham isn't Everton – thinking of size of the club and all.
    What on earth is going on?!!! 2 down to the bottom club at half time! Sort it out boys and FAST!!!!

Oh, that's not good. Tettey playing these days?

Tettey has an injury, but recovering, our attacking options have been decimated for some time now which is why we are barely scoring any goals. Hopefully the international break will give us time to regroup.

Did not know that. Hopefully him and the others out injured come back strong as ever! With Tettey being a former Rosenborg player, I would like to see him in the PL again.
    Here we go again :

Rumour has is Moyes is signing an 'rest of the season'-contract?

You and me both! Lol! Going to be a tough season though!

Could do lot worse than him? Allardyce could be an option maybe, but West Ham isn't Everton – thinking of size of the club and all.

I think Allardyce would choose Everton over West Ham? But I too saw that West Ham fans are not exactly thrilled at the idea of Moyes taking over?
    Moyes will be confirmed as West Ham manager in a press conference tomorrow,according to Sky Sports !!

The fans wont be happy about that.
    Moyes will be confirmed as West Ham manager in a press conference tomorrow,according to Sky Sports !!

The fans wont be happy about that.

That's quick – if reports are correct! No news with Everton then; will be interesting to see what happens there. Did anyone see the Everton march against Watford? How did Unsworth's men play?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Pretty tired of hearing all this 'Slaven handled himself with dignity and is an honourable and decent man' guff everyone's coming out with.

Ask Laurent Blanc how honourable he is.

Wonder if Moyes will come in with the classic motivating technique he employed at Sunderland and say 'Yeah basically we're going down.'
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Think I have entered the Twilight Zone, have West Ham seen Moyes recent record, there is an inevitability of what will happen to West Ham this season.
    Moyes confirmed as West Ham manager.and Everton in talks with Alladyce.
  • Rumours that West Ham were rejected by Ancelotti, Mancini and Benitez before plumping for David Moyes.

West Ham have never been wildly successful (apart from winning the World Cup, of course) but used to be known for their decent football; certainly under the likes of Ron Greenwood and John Lyall back in the day. Allardyce wasn't a good fit the first time around, but Moyes must be the cheapest available plausible option for them. Sullivan, Gold and Brady will always go for the cheapest option.

I can't see this ending well.

Well, no surprises this time around! Wouldn't bet against Allardyce getting the Everton gig. What are the other options, really? Right now, few big name managers are available – possibly with a few exceptions, like Thomas Tuchel and Carlo Ancelotti. But would a Tuchel/Ancelotti take on West Ham or Everton, when they could just take it easy, wait until the next season – when a bigger opportunity presents itself? Most unlikely.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    When Leicester were looking for a new manager they clearly wanted to take their time. And then Everton came on board and West Ham were not far behind. I think that made them panic appoint. Too many similar sized teams, not enough good managers around.

Well? Wouldn't it be amusing if they both were relegated? I guess as with all things, only time will tell in the long run?!!!

Well? Wouldn't it be amusing if they both were relegated? I guess as with all things, only time will tell in the long run?!!!

Difficult to work out the funniest set of circumstances from here to be honest.

Obviously we all want Palace dead and buried as Woy should have had the decency to crawl away and die in a hole after England.

West Ham going down would be hilarious as I've had to hear mugs at work coming out with 'We'll be in the CL in 3 years' when they got their hands on their free stadium. Good luck selling that out in the championship.

I'm two minds over Everton. 1) After their delusions of grandeur following their extremely modest transfer business it would pretty hilarious but 2) it would be very very funny if Everton pipped West Ham to stay up given how they hated Big Sam when that's the level of manager they should be gagging to have in charge.

Basically as long as West Ham go down I don't care who else.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Everton neatly poached chief scout Steve Walsh from Leicester - the man credited with 'discovering' Vardy, Kante and Mahrez, the three principle attributes in City's 2015-16 campaign, and bringing them all to Leicester.

Leicester fans agreed that Walsh was probably last season's biggest loss.

Strange how things turn out.
  • Allardyce and West Ham were an odd match. It didn't seem to matter how many points Allardyce got them, the fans simply never seemed to accept him. The players loved him, but never the fans. He did wind them up, though. At a Bobby Moore tribute evening, Big Sam said: "I've always thought of Bobby Moore as more of a Fulham player." He knew exactly what he was saying!

So an Allardyce-led Everton relegating a Moyes-led West Ham has a certain drama to it.

Not sure either will drop, though. Palace, Swansea and Bournemouth would be my bets, but it's far too early to tell.
    Diego Simeone Everton's top target among four potential new managers, according to Sky Sports. Good luck with that!

Guessing who'll be in Championship next season is a bit early to say the least. Do however think that all three promoted teams will have a good chance staying in the PL, if things continue like this. Newcastle should stay up with Benitez managing, Huddersfield have taken important points against United, and will probably use that as motivation for the big games to come, while Brighton have looked solid.

Difficult to work out the funniest set of circumstances from here to be honest.

Obviously we all want Palace dead and buried as Woy should have had the decency to crawl away and die in a hole after England.

West Ham going down would be hilarious as I've had to hear mugs at work coming out with 'We'll be in the CL in 3 years' when they got their hands on their free stadium. Good luck selling that out in the championship.

I'm two minds over Everton. 1) After their delusions of grandeur following their extremely modest transfer business it would pretty hilarious but 2) it would be very very funny if Everton pipped West Ham to stay up given how they hated Big Sam when that's the level of manager they should be gagging to have in charge.

Basically as long as West Ham go down I don't care who else.

Oh Wizard? I have to put up with idiots like that up here in the Midlands where I work. Funnily they play in claret and blue too! Lol!
    Ray Parlour puts Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira forward as potential Arsène Wenger successors.

Yes please! Unlikely to happen, but if Arsenal can't attract a big name manager when Arsène retires, I do hope the club leave the door open for a possibility like this.
    Ray Parlour puts Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira forward as potential Arsène Wenger successors.

Yes please! Unlikely to happen, but if Arsenal can't attract a big name manager when Arsène retires, I do hope the club leave the door open for a possibility like this.

Not sure why this is being suggested.

Isn't Wenger going to me manager forever and when he dies they'll just have mausoleum like Lenin but they still won't actually sack him.

Isn't Wenger going to me manager forever and when he dies they'll just have mausoleum like Lenin but they still won't actually sack him.

Wenger won the FA cup beating champions Chealsea last season or have you forgotten already.
    Have you no respect for that win ?
    I wouldn't mind Liverpool winning it.

When he dies they will bury the club with him
    jobo wrote: »

When he dies they will bury the club with him

That wouldn't surprise me ,I've given up hope ;)

001 wrote: »

Wenger won the FA cup beating champions Chealsea last season or have you forgotten already.

I wouldn't mind working mining it either but only to keep us ticking over until we win the big prizes.

Arsenal seem to think they can get away with charging the highest prices in world football for an average (at best) product.

At any other 'big' club (in inverted commas because I don't really think Arsenal qualifies) in Europe nobody would be allowed to get away with serial mediocrity for 10 years and counting without being sacked.

You feel for the fans as nobody at the club has the slightest ambition and Wenger is apparently untouchable despite being increasingly left behind by the modern game.

I wouldn't mind working mining it either but only to keep us ticking over until we win the big prizes.

Arsenal seem to think they can get away with charging the highest prices in world football for an average (at best) product.

At any other 'big' club (in inverted commas because I don't really think Arsenal qualifies) in Europe nobody would be allowed to get away with serial mediocrity for 10 years and counting without being sacked.

You feel for the fans as nobody at the club has the slightest ambition and Wenger is apparently untouchable despite being increasingly left behind by the modern game.

Maybe you should start a petition ? :)

Maybe you should start a petition ? :)

:))
    Listening to a football podcast a few days ago (can't remember which one), Arsenal was titled a 'cup team' – which I can agree with. The way the team is playing right now is not enough to keep up with the top 4 over the length of the season, yet they can pull out some decent cup wins out of the hat.
    Come on Northern Ireland tonight !!!
    Come on Northern Ireland tonight !!!

Thanks for the reminder! Had totally forgotten that the internationals starts today – will tune in to that one. :-)