"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    NicNac wrote: »
    Decent win for Leicester though Sky need to reign it in, saying that's Championship winning Leceister. The knee jerk reaction to results is crazy these days

Are Sky criticizing that performance from Leicester?

No they were praising Leicester more than anything

Ah, must have read that comment wrong. They were good though. Think Puel approached the game very well, making the right substitutions in the second half. Will be interesting to see how they do from here on.

Puel is a good manager he did a decent job at Southampton last season, arguably he has better offensive players at Leceister they will do ok now this season.

He came with a reputation for trying to bring young players through at Southampton, and indeed against Everton he threw in two young lads Grey and Chilwell as attacking wide players (Chilwell is normally Leicester's back up left back to Fuchs). Grey has been in and out of the team but this was arguably set up nicely for him against an Everton side lacking confidence. He played well and won MOTM. However, next week away at Stoke do Leicester play the same attacking formation, or drop the youngsters and bring in the more experienced Albrighton and Okozaki? How do I know, this is what they are paying Puel to work out.
    The week after Stoke it's Man City so I recommend an 8-1-1 formation.

City look unstoppable I hope Leceister can take points of them
    Gutted we lost to Derby at the weekend. That's the price of an unwanted Cup run in my opinion mixed in with yet another international break. And yet I see we have another one coming up again soon! No wonder the lads are shattered with the lack of personnel to cope with the schedule! OTBC!!!!
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,333
    That was a very Burnley game. That defence, though. Sean Dyche has an incredible collective there.

RogueAgent wrote: »
    Gutted we lost to Derby at the weekend. That's the price of an unwanted Cup run in my opinion mixed in with yet another international break. And yet I see we have another one coming up again soon! No wonder the lads are shattered with the lack of personnel to cope with the schedule! OTBC!!!!

better luck in upcoming games! Wolves next?
    That was a very Burnley game. That defence, though. Sean Dyche has an incredible collective there.

Yep! Big match against my tip to win the division with the amount of investment they have ploughed into their squad. Going to be a very challenging night!

Yep! Big match against my tip to win the division with the amount of investment they have ploughed into their squad. Going to be a very challenging night!

Wolves have invested a lot, haven't they? Several Portuguese players, or something like that?

Wolves have invested a lot, haven't they? Several Portuguese players, or something like that?

Certainly something along those lines? Where the money has come from as a supporter would bother me though as obviously they have not been in the Premier League for a while?

Certainly something along those lines? Where the money has come from as a supporter would bother me though as obviously they have not been in the Premier League for a while?

Think I read somewhere that 13 signings were made this year too. Several signings somewhat related to Jorge Mendes. Looks to be working; the new owners have probably invested a lot in the squad.
    Well done for giving all you had lads against Wolves. They clearly are the team of the division in my eyes. Fully expect them to be sat in the top two spots come the end of the season.
    Well done for giving all you had lads against Wolves. They clearly are the team of the division in my eyes. Fully expect them to be sat in the top two spots come the end of the season.

Wolverhampton looks more ore less ready for PL. Good form by looking at matches won. Most surprisingly though, is possibly the team currently 3rd – Sheffield United. From League One to top three in the Championship! Incredible stuff.
    jobo wrote: »

Not sure what Jose can gain from this.

I think he wants to create an environment where the squad are 'victims', 'them against everyone', which theoretically will make them more unified. Be has been going on like that with every team he has coached. It usually works quite well for a period of time before the bubble bursts and you get division inside the dressing room itself.

Is it a cynical, whiny, pathetique and rather suspect strategy? Yes. Are those the very characteristics José is famous for? Yes.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Siege mentality creates winners
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Is it a cynical, whiny, pathetique and rather suspect strategy? Yes. Are those the very characteristics José is famous for? Yes.

Yeah that and winning trophies.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,333

I think he wants to create an environment where the squad are 'victims', 'them against everyone', which theoretically will make them more unified. Be has been going on like that with every team he has coached. It usually works quite well for a period of time before the bubble bursts and you get division inside the dressing room itself.

But surely creating 'issues' between the team and the fans can't be a good idea? One can get José trying to do the 'us against everyone' between himself/the team and the media, but fans is a different thing altogether.
    Sp*rs are making Real Madrid look like a mid-table team at the moment...
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,529

Wow just checked the score

Taxi for ZZ and the Real board in Daniel's office post match with the chequebook out for Dele, Harry and Pocc.
    Watching this game between Sp*rs and Real Madrid makes an Arsenal fan feel...uncomfortable.

Taxi for ZZ and the Real board in Daniel's office post match with the chequebook out for Dele, Harry and Pocc.

Wouldn't be surprising!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,529
    Watching this game between Sp*rs and Real Madrid makes an Arsenal fan feel...uncomfortable.

United beating Spurs at the weekend was a decent result I would say to the doom peddlers, not you mate
    The luck seems to finally have run out for ZZ's Real Madrid. They have won far more than their actual performances have have merited the last couple of years...
    3-1. Ronaldo of course...

And so ends the game. Looks like mr. Ronaldo went straight into the player tunnel – not shaking hands with anyone. Classy.
    Shit.........
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Shit.........

No worries, we have Arsenal-Fk Crvena Zvezda (aka Red Star Belgrade) to look forward to!
    Could this be the season English clubs reassert themselves, as a Englishman I hope so
    Shit.........

No worries, we have Arsenal-Fk Crvena Zvezda (aka Red Star Belgrade) to look forward to!

I know......how the mighty have fallen.....
    Shit.........

Hopefully the young guys can make their impact in the EL – and eventually become regulars in the starting eleven. Some real good talent in the club.
    Shit.........

Hopefully the young guys can make their impact in the EL – and eventually become regulars in the starting eleven. Some real good talent in the club.

We can hopefully do a Mourinho and win the EL and auto qualify for next seasons CL..

Shit.........

We can hopefully do a Mourinho and win the EL and auto qualify for next seasons CL..

Looks like that's the way to go, judging by how the other teams are playing!
    Steve Nicol needs window wipers on his glasses
    Shit.........

Indeed. For a prestiguous club like Red Star Belgrade to be slumming it against European no marks Arsenal is rather demeaning.