"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    United could not see each other in those grey kits :))
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,373
    My Fantasy-team is the worst ever thanks to the Leicester-Everton-game. Still, it's interesting to see Puel make his mark on the Leicester-team from game one.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    My Fantasy-team is the worst ever thanks to the Leicester-Everton-game. Still, it's interesting to see Puel make his mark on the Leicester-team from game one.

Decent win for Leicester though Sky need to reign it in, saying that's Championship winning Leceister. The knee jerk reaction to results is crazy these days
    Decent win for Leicester though Sky need to reign it in, saying that's Championship winning Leceister. The knee jerk reaction to results is crazy these days

Are Sky criticizing that performance from Leicester?

No they were praising Leicester more than anything

Ah, must have read that comment wrong. They were good though. Think Puel approached the game very well, making the right substitutions in the second half. Will be interesting to see how they do from here on.

Ah, must have read that comment wrong. They were good though. Think Puel approached the game very well, making the right substitutions in the second half. Will be interesting to see how they do from here on.

Puel is a good manager he did a decent job at Southampton last season, arguably he has better offensive players at Leceister they will do ok now this season.

Puel is a good manager he did a decent job at Southampton last season, arguably he has better offensive players at Leceister they will do ok now this season.

Agreed...I think he is top class.
    barryt007 wrote: »

United did well to beat Puel in last year's league cup final

Exactly...last minute..very lucky ..and the Saints finished 8th..

If it were not for Ibra United would have lost for sure, look forward to Ibra return born winner
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,373
    Rosenborg played 0-0 home against Stabæk this evening, in a game that with a win would have handed Rosenborg the league trophy at home, three matches before the season ends. Looks like next weeks game might be the one. This will be Rosenborg's third league trophy in a row.
    Rosenborg played 0-0 home against Stabæk this evening, in a game that with a win would have handed Rosenborg the league trophy at home, three matches before the season ends. Looks like next weeks game might be the one. This will be Rosenborg's third league trophy in a row.

When does your league start and end?

This years season started in early April, finishing late November. Can't play during the winter months due to the chance of snow and difficult weather in parts of the country. Next years season starts March 11th i think (my birthday!), which is a record early season kick-off, if I remember correctly.

This years season started in early April, finishing late November. Can't play during the winter months due to the chance of snow and difficult weather in parts of the country. Next years season starts March 11th i think (my birthday!), which is a record early season kick-off, if I remember correctly.

That I thought might be the case, not easy with European competition that schedule

That I thought might be the case, not easy with European competition that schedule

Winter weather might be a plus against Real Sociedad at home in late November, but that's about it. Another possible advantage is that Norwegian teams are well into their season when facing other European teams in qualification to CL and EL.

Winter weather might be a plus against Real Sociedad at home in late November, but that's about it. Another possible advantage is that Norwegian teams are well into their season when facing other European teams in qualification to CL and EL.

True conditions will help though difficult to pick up form off season
    True conditions will help though difficult to pick up form off season

I wonder how the early season kick-off will affect the season in general. Will be a few weeks less with pre-season, so they'll need to take that into consideration.

March through summer great weather for games that's for sure for you guys.

I am a advocate of a winter break in England, guaranteed come the world cup for England Harry Kane will be burnt out. I would even reduce the premiership teams compliment.

I am a advocate of a winter break in England, guaranteed come the world cup for England Harry Kane will be burnt out. I would even reduce the premiership teams compliment.

Doesn't the Bundesliga have winter breaks? Two weeks in January or something?

I believe so it would definitely benefit the premiership

With the hectic christmas fixtures, one would think a winter break would have been considered. The amount of games is incredible, really.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,695

With the hectic christmas fixtures, one would think a winter break would have been considered. The amount of games is incredible, really.

With cup games etc very true, I don't subscribe to this well they get paid alot of money attitude fatigue creeps in no matter what.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

If it were not for Ibra United would have lost for sure, look forward to Ibra return born winner

Just long as you don't count delivering at the business end of the CL, World Cup or Euros in that.

Has he even scored a goal in the knockout stages of any of the above competitions?

Massively overrated flat track bully who can turn it on against Getafe, Atalanta or Guincamp but is nowhere to be seen when it matters.

Just long as you don't count delivering at the business end of the CL, World Cup or Euros in that.

Has he even scored a goal in the knockout stages of any of the above competitions?

Massively overrated flat track bully who can turn it on against Getafe, Atalanta or Guincamp but is nowhere to be seen when it matters.

I like Ibra's mentality whether he scores or not does not matter, in this season if he can motivate other players which he will I will be happy.

I like Ibra's mentality whether he scores or not does not matter, in this season if he can motivate other players which he will I will be happy.

Certainly a great bit of business for Utd as he is a total professional and the youngsters can learn a lot from him.

Just don't expect him to step up in a CL semi when you're a goal down with 5 minutes to go like truly world class players do.

Certainly a great bit of business for Utd as he is a total professional and the youngsters can learn a lot from him.

Just don't expect him to step up in a CL semi when you're a goal down with 5 minutes to go like truly world class players do.

I am realistic United are rebuilding I see the bigger picture I think United have improved though are far from being European elite, I'll take every positive and ounce of experience from the likes of Ibra. I take every game at a time, I know enough to know Jose is doing a good job with the players he currently has available.
    Is Ibra's mentality that professional though? His trademark is to blame everyone else whenever something in his career is not going to plan. I hope for United's sake they continue to treat him as the greatest star of the club. Otherwise we could have a scandal looming...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

He came with a reputation for trying to bring young players through at Southampton, and indeed against Everton he threw in two young lads Grey and Chilwell as attacking wide players (Chilwell is normally Leicester's back up left back to Fuchs). Grey has been in and out of the team but this was arguably set up nicely for him against an Everton side lacking confidence. He played well and won MOTM. However, next week away at Stoke do Leicester play the same attacking formation, or drop the youngsters and bring in the more experienced Albrighton and Okozaki? How do I know, this is what they are paying Puel to work out.
    The week after Stoke it's Man City so I recommend an 8-1-1 formation.
    jobo wrote: »
    Is Ibra's mentality that professional though? His trademark is to blame everyone else whenever something in his career is not going to plan. I hope for United's sake they continue to treat him as the greatest star of the club. Otherwise we could have a scandal looming...

Very true. His tracking back is hardly that of a model professional either.