No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Getafix wrote: »
    Mendes is all style and pretend substance that crumbles at the slightest scrutiny. With SF he pulls it off but with SP the whole artifice comes crashing down on his head.

Give Glen Roger Deakins and Hoyte Van Hoytema and FYEO, OP, TLD and LTK would be regarded as classics.

The films are cut from the same cloth.

That's why it's only fair to consider them both terrible.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,619
    I know that I need to accept that the simple truth is that the average Bond fan is not the kind of person who would be interested in the random Sam Mendes movie. Similarly, most people who eat at McDonalds on a regular basis would never appreciate food from Heston Blumenthal's 3-Michelin-starred The Fat Duck.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I know that I need to accept that the simple truth is that the average Bond fan is not the kind of person who would be interested in the random Sam Mendes movie. Similarly, most people who eat at McDonalds on a regular basis would never appreciate food from Heston Blumenthal's 3-Michelin-starred The Fat Duck.

Skyfall and spectre are not movies for the smart, they are movies for the masses, full of plot holes. I don’t know what you are talking about
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Skyfall and spectre are not movies for the smart, they are movies for the masses, full of plot holes. I don’t know what you are talking about
    Thank you!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

And Mendes is somewhere in the middle. An Angus Steakhouse if you will - sounds a cut above Mcdonalds in principle but when it arrives on your plate you realise you're just paying West End prices for pub food.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,619
    @JamesBondKenya Of course they are for the masses! What I wrote was not specifically about SF, but Mendes movies in general. As for plot holes: Name ONE plot hole in SF! I'll wait.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @JamesBondKenya Of course they are for the masses! What I wrote was not specifically about SF, but Mendes movies in general. As for plot holes: Name ONE plot hole in SF! I'll wait.

Raul Silva and his plan
  • GumboldGumbold Atlantis
    As for plot holes: Name ONE plot hole in SF! I'll wait.

Hahaha are you serious?
  • I know that I need to accept that the simple truth is that the average Bond fan is not the kind of person who would be interested in the random Sam Mendes movie. Similarly, most people who eat at McDonalds on a regular basis would never appreciate food from Heston Blumenthal's 3-Michelin-starred The Fat Duck.

And of course there are those people that anyone with the right swanky attitude can sell a turd as Ambrosia. But don't become desperate, you might still learn over the years. But then again not.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,162

Did you ever wonder why no teacher of yours ever said something along the lines of "Panchito, you are a smart little fellow."?
    Well, after this statement just about anyone on this forum ( apart from some truly hopeless cases) can give you the answer.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

You're so full of it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    There are movies for the thinking man, and then there are movies for those who think they're the thinking man. SF and SP are the latter.
  • There are movies for the thinking man, and then there are movies for those who think they're the thinking man. SF and SP are the latter.

That very much nails it!
    There are movies for the thinking man, and then there are movies for those who think they're the thinking man. SF and SP are the latter.

Could you just clarify which of the two Panchito is? No hurry.

I'll wait.
  • There are movies for the thinking man, and then there are movies for those who think they're the thinking man. SF and SP are the latter.

Could you just clarify which of the two Panchito is? No hurry.

I'll wait.

Well, while I wouldn't claim to speak for Mendes I would assume that since @PanchitoPistoles thinks that Skyfall has no plotholes he's quite obviously the latter.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2017 Posts: 2,138
    Getafix wrote: »
    Mendes is all style and pretend substance that crumbles at the slightest scrutiny. With SF he pulls it off but with SP the whole artifice comes crashing down on his head.

Give Glen Roger Deakins and Hoyte Van Hoytema and FYEO, OP, TLD and LTK would be regarded as classics.

I agree but personally would reverse the analysis of SF and SP.

If the man's a sham I find it odd that one minute he's hailed as a genius and the next an incompetent fraud. And people are still insisting SF is somehow a magnitude better than SP.

The films are cut from the same cloth. Overlong, incoherent and badly written. They're companion pieces in the recent history of Bond mediocrity.

We have this saying in the music industry "you can't polish a turd" if the source material is crap you can't turn it into something magical. Logan was too indulgent. Actually laughable that EON had to take Spectre to P&W to fix before hiring Butterworth to inject some light hearted humour.

• GumboldGumbold Atlantis

The only thing you need to think about SF and SP are the gaps you need to fill in so they make sense.
    If all the other Bond films are equated to McDonalds does that mean Spectre and Skyfall are equated to swiss cheese?
    With all the Mendes bashing here (shocking, I know), I wonder if the general audience's opinion of Skyfall has changed in some way since 2012...
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Mendes added a great film to the series - to me it‘s Skyfall, Spectre to others. But I don‘t think he deserves the hate. In my opinion he just had done all he can with SF.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Mendes added a great film to the series - to me it‘s Skyfall, Spectre to others. But I don‘t think he deserves the hate. In my opinion he just had done all he can with SF.

He and Logan made Bond human. That was something not every fan was going to be happy with. I remember at the time it being questioned about doing a back story and taking the mystery out of the international man of mystery.
    Who here is really hating on him? He's made a few dumb choices but nobody's actually hating the man. Some are just disappointed with some choices he's made. I don't see what's wrong with voicing that.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,533
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Remington wrote: »
    If Mendes had quit after SF, his reputation would be a lot better and 70% of us would be begging for his return. Just a feeling I have since I wanted him back for Bond 24 back in 2013. Now I wish SP hadn't happened and that we never see Mendes or Logan again.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,162

He and Logan made Bond human. That was something not every fan was going to be happy with. I remember at the time it being questioned about doing a back story and taking the mystery out of the international man of mystery.

Yeah, surely it's bonds humanity that makes some of us despise SF. Probably that "sorry for the good scotch" humanity he displays in the movie. Plenty laughable opinion of yours. Just for your information - bond has been human since OHMSS, and you don't find too many Bond fans that complain about it.

I think you'll find Peter Hunt and Maibaum did that first, then John Glen, Maibaum and MGW and then Campbell, Haggis and P&W. Despite all the press to the contrary Mendes didn't reinvent the wheel with SF.
    Remington wrote: »
    If Mendes had quit after SF, his reputation would be a lot better and 70% of us would be begging for his return. Just a feeling I have since I wanted him back for Bond 24 back in 2013. Now I wish SP hadn't happened and that we never see Mendes or Logan again.

Very true.

Yeah, surely it's bonds humanity that makes some of us despise SF. Probably that "sorry for the good scotch" humanity he displays in the movie. Plenty laughable opinion of yours. Just for your information - bond has been human since OHMSS, and you don't find too many Bond fans that complain about it.

Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one. Also remind you that apart from some die hards the general view of OHMSS is that it was a lame duck of the franchise and Lazenby not really held in high regard. Often tagged "the one where gets married, what's it called".
  • SeanCraig wrote: »

Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one.

I see your proverbs are just as original and distinguished as your thinking.
    I'm impressed.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 9,117

Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one. Also remind you that apart from some die hards the general view of OHMSS is that it was a lame duck of the franchise and Lazenby not really held in high regard. Often tagged "the one where gets married, what's it called".

And the 'general view' is utter bullshit.

Not sure what your point is exactly but having a dig at OHMSS is certainly a very bold strategy.

I'd say opinions are like an appendix. Everyone has one until someone needs theirs removed. :))