Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Battlefront II multiplayer Beta is available to download, first impressions it looks Dam good on my 4K TV, Maul has some badass offence

I found the graphics to be a bit underwhelming compared to the first game. Seems to be some sort of odd filter used to invoke the feel of Episodes IV-VI, but it just makes the graphics look a bit harsh. Great detail throughout, though.

I enjoyed my time with it but I can see the pay to win features creeping through even in the beta, and I don't like the skill of a player being down to the luck of what they acquire in a loot crate. I may pass on this one, I'm undecided currently.

It's unlikely I'll buy it on release I'll wait till the price drops and how the campaign turns out, the novelty wore off quick for me with the first game as felt there was never a game to get into. A great looking Star Wars universe is just not enough to hold my attention and hopefully the developers learn from the first game and the issues that had.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I may do the same, I'll likely ruminate on it for the next few weeks and decide around release time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The Star Wars game to watch out for will be the story based one Amy Hennig is working on right now. The Battlefront titles are interesting, and make you sort of feel in the universe, but as a non-fan like myself there's not anything there to really grip me. It's great that they have access to all of Williams' music and all the old sounds for guns, but take the Star Wars branding away and the game really doesn't have anything to stand on.
    The Star Wars game to watch out for will be the story based one Amy Hennig is working on right now. The Battlefront titles are interesting, and make you sort of feel in the universe, but as a non-fan like myself there's not anything there to really grip me. It's great that they have access to all of Williams' music and all the old sounds for guns, but take the Star Wars branding away and the game really doesn't have anything to stand on.

Isn't that one open world, or at least solely single player? Hell, if it's an RPG, sign me up. I've heard almost nothing about it, but I think an early concept screenshot was dropped at some point in time and it looked real good.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Isn't that one open world, or at least solely single player? Hell, if it's an RPG, sign me up. I've heard almost nothing about it, but I think an early concept screenshot was dropped at some point in time and it looked real good.

Not sure if it's open world (if it was there'd have to be galaxy/planet hopping) but it's definitely story focused and not with this micro-transaction garbage that EA loves to push. Hopefully the campaign of it, whatever it will be, can remain clean of that, and live up to the cancelled Star Wars game from a few years back.

Not sure if it's open world (if it was there'd have to be galaxy/planet hopping) but it's definitely story focused and not with this micro-transaction garbage that EA loves to push. Hopefully the campaign of it, whatever it will be, can remain clean of that, and live up to the cancelled Star Wars game from a few years back.

Yeah, it really is a shame that EA is taking this route, as usual. I knew it was way too early to commend them when they announced that the Season Pass would be free - that's solely because they're banking on people shelling out for the Pay-To-Win loot crates, which is even more disgusting.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Nothing about Amy Hennig's Star Wars game has been announced yet. I imagine it'll have some form of multiplayer, since EA won't release games that don't anymore.

I'm holding off on Battlefront II until a drop in price and a fair share of the patches have been tossed out. This age of unfinished games being released, they're almost never worth day one price anymore, regardless of how hyped you are for them. The story looks interesting, and from what I've seen of it, they're tying it in well with the post-ROTJ stories that have been told so far.
    Nothing about Amy Hennig's Star Wars game has been announced yet. I imagine it'll have some form of multiplayer, since EA won't release games that don't anymore.

I'm holding off on Battlefront II until a drop in price and a fair share of the patches have been tossed out. This age of unfinished games being released, they're almost never worth day one price anymore, regardless of how hyped you are for them. The story looks interesting, and from what I've seen of it, they're tying it in well with the post-ROTJ stories that have been told so far.

I've found that's the case with pretty much any video game these days, even those from my most trusted developers (looking at you, Rockstar/GTA V), yet I'll never learn and will always cave with particular titles.

I've found that's the case with pretty much any video game these days, even those from my most trusted developers (looking at you, Rockstar/GTA V), yet I'll never learn and will always cave with particular titles.

I made a post about this in this thread a short time back, but the industry really is in a bad place right now. Production costs for games are only going up, and when the projects get rushed you've got devs working to the bone just to get it done. And then we still have to deal with day one patches that show how badly optimized and tested the game was, on top of any season passes, day one DLC, pay-to-win schemes and the like that will be attached. We've got games now that are actually programmed to be grindy and infuriatingly difficult to progress in without spending real money, and that's just unforgivable.

So many once respected devs have fallen into these bad cycles, including Rockstar who are content to live off GTA Online for years without doing much anything else, and a player base thick enough to support their bottom line, or Rocksteady who dropped the ball massively with their DLC releases for Batman, pricing ridiculous amounts for barely there content. Even devs who I think already had issues with making competent games, like Bethesda, are only making their image worse by also getting on the pay-to-play, micro-transaction wagon.

And then there's the games that are genuinely great, but that get overshadowed by what their corporate owners or publishers demand the devs to do. The latest example is what looks to be a great game, Shadow of War, whose potential and quality is being distracted from by WB Games' business practices of throwing loot boxes and pay-to-win micro-transactions into a game a lot of people worked hard on, sullying the image of the dev team and the game itself through their attempts to make bank.

So many devs are losing good will because they are falling into a bad cycle of propagating the industry's worst practices in their games, somehow thinking that they won't be flamed at. Very few major devs and publishers haven't stooped to this new "normal," and that's depressing.
    That's the most disheartening thing about GTA V - could've delivered even more stellar single player with DLC, but they focused on the fat piggy bank that is GTA Online for them. Come RDR2, it'll be the exact same situation, calling it now. I hope I'm wrong, though, lest I'll solely focus my time on the SP aspect of that, too.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I was wondering if GTA Online was going pave more way in for their online ventures with that fat piggy bank. Thing is, I personally couldn’t give a toss about multiplayer modes in almost any game. Give me a story-driven single-player, and I’ll be satisfied. I wonder how many years later they’re going to give us VI.
    I was wondering if GTA Online was going pave more way in for their online ventures with that fat piggy bank. Thing is, I personally couldn’t give a toss about multiplayer modes in almost any game. Give me a story-driven single-player, and I’ll be satisfied. I wonder how many years later they’re going to give us VI.

They've made billions through the online, so they don't have a reason to stop. Gamers support a slimy system, and it goes on. In that way I can't even be as angry at Rockstar or Take 2 as I'd like to be, as part of it is on the community that buys the games.
    That's the most disheartening thing about GTA V - could've delivered even more stellar single player with DLC, but they focused on the fat piggy bank that is GTA Online for them. Come RDR2, it'll be the exact same situation, calling it now. I hope I'm wrong, though, lest I'll solely focus my time on the SP aspect of that, too.

I worry about that too, @Creasy47. I hope the online is a step up from GTA in RDR, and that Rockstar do it right this time. The gameplay and missions of the GTA Online are so lacking and poor, and it's nearly impossible to do anything even with a team because of the way the missions are set up.

With RDR at least the old west setting won't give players the ability to spam rockets or fly around in jets destroying people, so stripping back their gameplay content when it comes to weapons may actually help Rockstar in making that online better.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423

They've made billions through the online, so they don't have a reason to stop. Gamers support a slimy system, and it goes on. In that way I can't even be as angry at Rockstar or Take 2 as I'd like to be, as part of it is on the community that buys the games.
    Agreed. And it's very likely GTA Online might be coming an ongoing thing for as long as talks of newer generation consoles occur. Then, Rockstar/Take-Two will develop an updated engine and produce GTA Online II. Not that I have any interest in it, mind?

I do miss the entries they used to release that are spun-off from the main installments.

Agreed. And it's very likely GTA Online might be coming an ongoing thing for as long as talks of newer generation consoles occur. Then, Rockstar/Take-Two will develop an updated engine and produce GTA Online II. Not that I have any interest in it, mind?

Yeah, maybe.

I've gotta say, I like V really killed me on interest in GTA going forward, simply because I don't really care anymore. I found GTA V a step down from just the previous game, and everything else was just more of the same thing the series has always been.

Good thing I'm not aching for another one, as GTA VI could be eons away for all we know, with no sign of GTA Online support closing off. Only when GTA Online stops being supported can we be even a little sure the next game is heading into production or is developing.

Yeah, maybe.

I've gotta say, I like V really killed me on interest in GTA going forward, simply because I don't really care anymore. I found GTA V a step down from just the previous game, and everything else was just more of the same thing the series has always been.

Good thing I'm not aching for another one, as GTA VI could be eons away for all we know, with no sign of GTA Online support closing off. Only when GTA Online stops being supported can we be even a little sure the next game is heading into production or is developing.
    I personally liked GTA V. Its storytelling and theme brought back the black comedy spirit of the usual Grand Theft Auto stories. IV was too emotional for a GTA story, at least for me. I mean, other than Brucie's absurdity and Roman's constant begging for a bowling ball match, it had very little humour in it. At least for my taste. So, I'm cool with GTA V, personally.

I don't think GTA Online is going to stop getting support anytime soon from the clients that pay for it. If anything, their numbers are getting higher day by day, so for me who craves for single player storyline modes constantly from Grand Theft Auto, that's a big disappointment. I remember the days when there was a new GTA coming out every year, with the first entry producing two spin-offs, the third one spawning four entries (plus Advance), the fourth one giving us three (including Chinatown), and with the fifth, just overglorified multiplayer extravaganza.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694

Yeah, maybe.

I personally liked GTA V. Its storytelling and theme brought back the black comedy spirit of the usual Grand Theft Auto stories. IV was too emotional for a GTA story, at least for me. I mean, other than Brucie's absurdity and Roman's constant begging for a bowling ball match, it had very little humour in it. At least for my taste. So, I'm cool with GTA V, personally.

I don't think GTA Online is going to stop getting support anytime soon from the clients that pay for it. If anything, their numbers are getting higher day by day, so for me who craves for single player storyline modes constantly from Grand Theft Auto, that's a big disappointment. I remember the days when there was a new GTA coming out every year, with the first entry producing two spin-offs, the third one spawning four entries (plus Advance), the fourth one giving us three (including Chinatown), and with the fifth, just overglorified multiplayer extravaganza.

@ClarkDevlin, and the only thing Take 2 have taken away from Rockstar's success with GTA Online is that they have "under-monitzed" their gamers (they actually said this, look it up), meaning that with RDR2's online we could see more of the same, but this time the content in the online and otherwise may be blocked behind pay walls every time something releases.

I miss the days when GTA IV was out and instead of wasting time on a poor online Rockstar developed two amazing separate games as just DLC. Fast forward to only the next game and they don't care to do that anymore, as they want to lose themselves to the running business practice of the day. As if they don't make enough on their games to sky high profits already.

We know how much Rockstar love satire and parody, but the real sad thing is that they are becoming a parody of what they used to be, and representing the worst of the industry as we know it.

Yeah, maybe.

@ClarkDevlin, and the only thing Take 2 have taken away from Rockstar's success with GTA Online is that they have "under-monitzed" their gamers (they actually said this, look it up), meaning that with RDR2's online we could see more of the same, but this time the content in the online and otherwise may be blocked behind pay walls every time something releases.

I miss the days when GTA IV was out and instead of wasting time on a poor online Rockstar developed two amazing separate games as just DLC. Fast forward to only the next game and they don't care to do that anymore, as they want to lose themselves to the running business practice of the day. As if they don't make enough on their games to sky high profits already.

We know how much Rockstar love satire and parody, but the real sad thing is that they are becoming a parody of what they used to be, and representing the worst of the industry as we know it.
    Very true. And honestly, outside the single player storyline, I'm not interested in playing online with other people. See, for people like me, multiplayer is fun only when you're in a private server playing with friends. Much like the old days of Counter-Strike when we used to gather around with friends at a specific hour and play against each other. Other than that, I really don't give a damn about engaging with a total stranger in a fight or anybody who might troll me out. There's no time for that, anyway.

So, for me, GTA Online and its likes represent no value worth of a dime. Give me plot-driven DLCs with single player campaign any day. I truly did enjoy Red Dead Redemption's zombie nightmare alternative. Whatever happened to quality products like that? Rockstar really succumbed into the corporate money-hunger attributes, much like Electronic Arts, and more absurdly, Activision. I do hope they realize this before it is too late.

Yeah, maybe.

Very true. And honestly, outside the single player storyline, I'm not interested in playing online with other people. See, for people like me, multiplayer is fun only when you're in a private server playing with friends. Much like the old days of Counter-Strike when we used to gather around with friends at a specific hour and play against each other. Other than that, I really don't give a damn about engaging with a total stranger in a fight or anybody who might troll me out. There's no time for that, anyway.

So, for me, GTA Online and its likes represent no value worth of a dime. Give me plot-driven DLCs with single player campaign any day. I truly did enjoy Red Dead Redemption's zombie nightmare alternative. Whatever happened to quality products like that? Rockstar really succumbed into the corporate money-hunger attributes, much like Electronic Arts, and more absurdly, Activision. I do hope they realize this before it is too late.

I'm more of a single-player man as well, with the only consistent multiplayer I go into being the Uncharted games. Sometimes one just needs to log on and shoot virtual people to take the edge off and unwind. I do prefer co-op modes as opposed to competitive though, as teaming up can be fun. I used to play online much more on last-gen when I had more active "friends," but now I barely play with anyone beyond the random person now and again.
    If they do go the same route with RDR2's multiplayer aspect, I do hope they don't neglect the single player again this time like they did for GTA V.
    If they do go the same route with RDR2's multiplayer aspect, I do hope they don't neglect the single player again this time like they did for GTA V.

I perceive that the RDR2 campaign will cover a lot of story, so I don't know where they'd go from a DLC standpoint when so much seems like it's going to be told. I don't think they'd repeat themselves and do a zombie themed series of missions, but with how it will connect for the first game they could do some interesting things.

Maybe a DLC where you play a young Landon Ricketts or young Marshall Johnson, if there's no overarching DLC like GTA IV or RDR 1 had that stood alone as their own games.

I perceive that the RDR2 campaign will cover a lot of story, so I don't know where they'd go from a DLC standpoint when so much seems like it's going to be told. I don't think they'd repeat themselves and do a zombie themed series of missions, but with how it will connect for the first game they could do some interesting things.

Maybe a DLC where you play a young Landon Ricketts or young Marshall Johnson, if there's no overarching DLC like GTA IV or RDR 1 had that stood alone as their own games.

That last bit was what I was going to suggest - or they could always craft some brand new, lengthy storyline after the finale, given your main character survives. Time will tell, but I really hope they don't omit SP DLC if it calls for it.

Yeah, maybe.

I'm more of a single-player man as well, with the only consistent multiplayer I go into being the Uncharted games. Sometimes one just needs to log on and shoot virtual people to take the edge off and unwind. I do prefer co-op modes as opposed to competitive though, as teaming up can be fun. I used to play online much more on last-gen when I had more active "friends," but now I barely play with anyone beyond the random person now and again.
    Not too many games I like offer co-op mode. A few did back in the day, but over time, I just lost interest, and a COD/MoH/Battlefield player, I'm not. Payday 2 fascinated me a few years back, especially with their John Wick and Scarface packs. But, even then, I lost interest too quickly. Not that this new generation of online players represent any respect towards one another, it's like entering a cave run by maniacal overgrown children/teenagers. Single-players would suffice.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

The beta was pretty fun (and yet it was lacking something for me, can't put my finger on it), but that Pay to Win stuff is what'll put me off from the game. We'll see; I'll either cave and get it on release, or not at all.
    It seems that from what the lovely Miss Kyle is saying on IGN, the main content to improve levels etc is earned in game which is good. The Maul section I played on Beta I kept running into walls and the time ran out too quick whilst I was looking for troopers, to be honest I put it down after a few goes.
    The beta was pretty fun (and yet it was lacking something for me, can't put my finger on it), but that Pay to Win stuff is what'll put me off from the game. We'll see; I'll either cave and get it on release, or not at all.

Yes, this is the sticking point for so many games now. It waits to be seen just how much DICE have designed the game to be a grind fest all in the attempt to get gamers to furiously pony up real life cash to get ahead. That kind of manipulative BS sets me off.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I bought the physical release of Friday The 13th: The Game yesterday (Argos were selling it for just £23). At first, I couldn't get on for connection issues (funny that, because a few minutes before, I had been playing a co-op mission on Sniper Elite 4 without any problems), when I could get on, the lobby was empty. I waited for around 5 minutes, not... one... damn... person.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Found an Xbox 360 at a thrift store for $20. Amazingly, it actually works. I guess I'll be loading up on 360 games soon. Anybody have suggestions for good exclusives?
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Found an Xbox 360 at a thrift store for $20. Amazingly, it actually works. I guess I'll be loading up on 360 games soon. Anybody have suggestions for good exclusives?

I haven't played the newer ones but the Halo and Gears Of War games I've played have been great. You might like Forza too depending on what you're after from a racing game, and I'm sure one of the Splinter Cells was 360 exclusive.
    I bought the physical release of Friday The 13th: The Game yesterday (Argos were selling it for just £23). At first, I couldn't get on for connection issues (funny that, because a few minutes before, I had been playing a co-op mission on Sniper Elite 4 without any problems), when I could get on, the lobby was empty. I waited for around 5 minutes, not... one... damn... person.

Wow, really? And I've actually debated trying this one out finally. People act like it's still fairly popular, so it's surprising to see it having empty lobbies.