Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    The problem with Stallone is that he always paints himself as the righteous do-gooder in every film and narrates a story with that morale. Vin Diesel is repeating exactly that, these days.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    His And Hers (1961)
    17393012259_653b01a989_b.jpg
    Imagine a British early 1960's proto War Of The Roses, but rather than a black comedy, as a farce, and that will give you an idea of what this film is. Author/adventurer Reggie Blake (Terry-Thomas), likes to have adventures around the world, then return home to England and turn his adventure into a book for his fans. Only his wife, Fran (Janette Scott), and publicist Charles (Wilfred Hyde White) know the real truth: Reggie is never in the slightest bit of danger on his "adventures". After a heated argument with Fran, wherin Reggie states without any doubt that "a woman's place is in the kitchen", Fran decides to write her own book, a tell all, revealing the real Reggie Blake.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    killing-gunther-theatrical-poster.jpg?w=1800&h=2700

A bit surprised to find that Schwarzenegger is in it only towards the very end, but quite funny little film nonetheless.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    CULT OF CHUCKY

250?cb=20170701023209

Don Mancini has cracked the code. After three mediocre semi-slashers called CHILD'S PLAY (I, II and III), he gave us some great laughs with BRIDE OF CHUCKY and SEED OF CHUCKY. Adding Jennifer Tilly to the cast was an inspired move. But then we got word of a straight-to-dvd sequel, and then we saw the 'new' Chucky design, and we grew worried that CURSE OF CHUCKY could easily put the nail in the coffin of the killer doll series. But that film ROCKED! It successfully blended comedy, suspense and 'Chucky myth', whilst also introducing Fiona Dourif as a paraplegic who has to fence off the Chuck. CURSE instantly became my favourite film in this series, replacing Ronny Yu's very enjoyable BRIDE in the number one spot.

So of course I couldn't have been more thrilled to get another sequel, with Fiona Dourif, Jennifer Tilly and Alex Vincent returning. Well, I wasn't let down, let me tell you that. Almost as good as the previous one. I loved the look of the film--those sterile, white rooms in the psychiatric ward felt cleaner than clean and a snowy setting is something I almost always enjoy. The performances were overall really good, with Fiona Dourif steeling the show as this series' new scream queen. The story is perhaps a little uneven at times, not sure if it should focus on Andy, Nica or any of the other characters. But there's enough blood and suspense to keep me going. If CURSE had that dark scary house thing going, this one is bright and white and basically ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST with gallons of blood.

A worthy successor to CURSE, CULT OF CHUCKY is a very enjoyable slasher film.

My ranking:
    CURSE OF CHUCKY
    CULT OF CHUCKY
    BRIDE OF CHUCKY
    SEED OF CHUCKY
    CHILD'S PLAY
    CHILD'S PLAY 2
    CHILD'S PLAY 3
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Good to know @DarthDimi. CURSE was the perfect rebot, keeping the momentum of the series moving forward, while while taking the tone back to that of the original (and junking the campy ottness of the two prior films). I don't know what it is about this series, but not only has it not fallen prey to the same.... curse(s) as other series, but it is doing better on straight to dvd than it did theatrically.

Wait, Alex Vincent is in this one as well? That would have been a nice surprise, the key words being: would have. ;) The DVD is released here at the end of the month.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe
    Since Vincent's name is all over the marketing for the film, I figured I wasn't spoiling anything. If I did, I apologise. :)

Yeah, CULT is pretty solid and good. There's a new element to the Chucky mythology introduced here and I'll be interested to read your thoughts on it. Not sure if everyone will appreciate it. If nothing else though, I can at least respect the effort. ;-)
  • Just got around to seeing Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. A little perplexed as to the adoration it's garnered? The villain was flat, Ilsa Faust is strangely and awkwardly developed and the story jumped locations so many times that the film became loose and disjointed.

What strikes me as odd is that no one raises an issue with the film's dialogue. The script was clumsy, verbose, and frequently nonsensical. "Hunt is the living manifestation of destiny." Erm, what does this line actually mean? And how has the series even earned this? The silly and childlike emphasis on kindergarten 'friendship' reduced the maturity of this movie. We are far, far from the developed and intriguing drama and suspense of Brian de Palma's first, which I can enjoy any day.

There are good bits here and there. The opera set piece is outstanding and the water heist is good for what it is but painfully contrived - as the movies are increasingly becoming. And even the motorcycle chase left me cold and unaffected. I remember the loud and slamming score taking me out of that scene.

Maybe it is all the hype around Tom Cruise doing his own stunts? But I don't really see how that elevates the actual quality of the film... If I don't see the double, then I don't care. By and large, not a bad film by any means but greatly disappointing. It beats John Woo's sequel, if that's anything.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I didn t care for MI-RN either, except for the London finale, which was great.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 3,336
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)

So terrible it gets me wondering why i even liked the original.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited October 2017 Posts: 6,733
    Looking forward to watching Cult of Chucky. I love the fact the Chucky franchise has remained so strong after all these years. Don Mancini's continued involvement with it is probably the main reason. I remember an interview with him in which he mentioned a couple of hypothetical scenarios for a new Chucky film, and it just struck me that the guy is quite inventive. I think he could make endless Chucky films, and they would all be solid.

The last film I watched is The Full Monty. Loved it. The final shot, and the specific moment they picked to end the film with, is perfect.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Been debating whether to buy it, is it worse than part 4?

YES!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

YES!

I am a completionist I'll wait until it's dirt cheap, the 4th film was mediocre
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    while it was visually incredible, it was so boring and drawn out that I can't say I enjoyed it. There were good scenes, and incredible moments. The concepts were explored really well and the meaning to the film is good but, its so slow. It moves at snail speed.
    maybe a 5/10

@JamesBondKenya have you seen the sequel, 2010? In terms of the experience of watching it, I prefer it to the original. I also think it's quite satisfying in how it puts its themes across, and the ending is quite moving. A well-made film; perhaps you should give it a try.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

No. Nothing can be more awful then part 4. Part 5 is just fine, dont pay more then like 12$
    mattjoes wrote: »
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    while it was visually incredible, it was so boring and drawn out that I can't say I enjoyed it. There were good scenes, and incredible moments. The concepts were explored really well and the meaning to the film is good but, its so slow. It moves at snail speed.
    maybe a 5/10

@JamesBondKenya have you seen the sequel, 2010? In terms of the experience of watching it, I prefer it to the original. I also think it's quite satisfying in how it puts its themes across, and the ending is quite moving. A well-made film; perhaps you should give it a try.

I wasnt gonna watch it but now I am
    @JamesBondKenya other than the mermaid sequence the 4th Pirates film was terrible, I'll hold out for part 5 on the cheap
    Just got around to seeing Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. A little perplexed as to the adoration it's garnered? The villain was flat, Ilsa Faust is strangely and awkwardly developed and the story jumped locations so many times that the film became loose and disjointed.

What strikes me as odd is that no one raises an issue with the film's dialogue. The script was clumsy, verbose, and frequently nonsensical. "Hunt is the living manifestation of destiny." Erm, what does this line actually mean? And how has the series even earned this? The silly and childlike emphasis on kindergarten 'friendship' reduced the maturity of this movie. We are far, far from the developed and intriguing drama and suspense of Brian de Palma's first, which I can enjoy any day.

There are good bits here and there. The opera set piece is outstanding and the water heist is good for what it is but painfully contrived - as the movies are increasingly becoming. And even the motorcycle chase left me cold and unaffected. I remember the loud and slamming score taking me out of that scene.

Maybe it is all the hype around Tom Cruise doing his own stunts? But I don't really see how that elevates the actual quality of the film... If I don't see the double, then I don't care. By and large, not a bad film by any means but greatly disappointing. It beats John Woo's sequel, if that's anything.

I like the film but I do agree re the main villain,he was very flat and just not interesting.
    Definitely the main weakness in the film for me.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I liked Lane. Sean Harris can be very unsettling without being overly theatrical. I noticed him first in The Borgias, where he was quite chilling without saying much.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I never thought the MI film series really had a good villian outside of Phillip Seymour Hoffman
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Hoffman was the best thing in MI3 imho. He made that film. I also liked Dougray Scott's emotive Sean Ambrose, even though I didn't care for the film. Jon Voight's Jim Phelps was excellent too.
    For me DREDD is as unsuccessful a movie as the Stallone version. While Urban is terrific as the man himself, and at least the helmet stays on, both movies completely miss the mark in terms if the humour of the comic strip. Dredd the strip had a strong satirical humour running through it, and was a warning about the dangers of a futuristic police state. Both movies miss this angle. The makers of both Dredd movies should have taken a lesson from Robocop in that respect
    Hoffman is easily the best villain,followed by Voight.
    The rest I can take or leave.
    What's wrong with Darren Aronofsky ?
    Why would he make Noah (2014) ?
    Anyone seen it ?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The problem I had with Voight is that we spent 3/4 of the film thinking he's dead. Dougray Scott wasn't bad, but he was forgettable. Ghost Protocol was the best in the series but again Hendricks was forgettable as well IMO
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    I liked Lane. Sean Harris can be very unsettling without being overly theatrical. I noticed him first in The Borgias, where he was quite chilling without saying much.

Sean Harris is great. I loved him in Harry Brown and Prometheus, too.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    001 wrote: »
    What's wrong with Darren Aronofsky ?
    Why would he make Noah (2014) ?
    Anyone seen it ?

Yeah its garbage. Watch mother! - excellent film
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    It Follows
    91WFxGFIBJL._SY450_.jpg

Finally got around to seeing this. I have to say I'm really impressed with it. It's not so much scary as it is just all around creepy. I love that it's original and didn't seem to copy any other movie to remain relevant. It was just it's own thing. I hear a sequel is rumored but I hope it's only a rumor. It's the kind of movie that is better as a standalone.
    With that I will be watching scary movies as often as I can for the month of October, leading up to Halloween (the holiday, not the movie).
    It Follows
    91WFxGFIBJL._SY450_.jpg

Finally got around to seeing this. I have to say I'm really impressed with it. It's not so much scary as it is just all around creepy. I love that it's original and didn't seem to copy any other movie to remain relevant. It was just it's own thing. I hear a sequel is rumored but I hope it's only a rumor. It's the kind of movie that is better as a standalone.
    With that I will be watching scary movies as often as I can for the month of October, leading up to Halloween (the holiday, not the movie).

Noticed this on Netflix keep meaning to watch it
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns That's where I watched it. It's good but it is slow.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns That's where I watched it. It's good but it is slow.

The issue that I had was people constantly harked on about just how terrifyingly scary it is - I likely would've enjoyed it had I not gone into the film with this impression, which definitely had a layer of dread about it as opposed to outright scares. But alas, I wasn't impressed in the end.