Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns That's where I watched it. It's good but it is slow.

The issue that I had was people constantly harked on about just how terrifyingly scary it is - I likely would've enjoyed it had I not gone into the film with this impression, which definitely had a layer of dread about it as opposed to outright scares. But alas, I wasn't impressed in the end.

I really didn't find it scary in anyway. It's just overall creepy. Whoever said it was scary doesn't know what scary is.
    Gator 1976) - Burt Reynolds as Gator Mcklusky in a movie about friends becoming enemies because while one is more of a robin hoodesque bootlegger his friend has turned into serious crime and killing. A great movie that turns from quirky funny into a serious situation with only one outcome.

Texasville - A return to the characters as shown in black & white in the Last Picture show starring Bridges & Shepard. A beautiful drawing of a world that is strange to me but yet intoxicating. Annie Potts is just to die for I kept rooting for her.

Appaloosa - a brilliant adaptation of the Robert B. Parker western novel in which Ed Harris & Viggo Mortissen give us a brilliant couple of lawmen with Jeremy Irons grand baddie. And Renee Zellweger as a young lady who has her own needs. By no means a traditional western but one that excels at it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns That's where I watched it. It's good but it is slow.

The issue that I had was people constantly harked on about just how terrifyingly scary it is - I likely would've enjoyed it had I not gone into the film with this impression, which definitely had a layer of dread about it as opposed to outright scares. But alas, I wasn't impressed in the end.

I really didn't find it scary in anyway. It's just overall creepy. Whoever said it was scary doesn't know what scary is.

I think that's just people who classify all horror films as "scary" or "not scary," not realizing the difference in the tone and mood of the whole film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Narrow Margin (1990)
    pR5Za6p.jpg
    I really enjoyed this old school thriller starring Gene Hackman and Anne Archer. Deputy District Attorney Robert Caulfield (Hackman) is tasked with protecting Carol (Archer), who is witness to the murder of her blind date Michael Tarlow (the always excellent J.T. Walsh) by a notorious gangster Leo Watts (Harris Yulin). They are forced to escape on VIA Rail bound for Vancouver but unfortunately Watt's henchman are also on board. Caulfield must hide Carol & evade them throughout the long journey.

Director Peter Hyams (who also served as cinematographer) does a very good job in capturing the beauty of the Vancouver coastal mountains and keeps a good pace throughout. The fight scenes atop the train are quite realistic (evoking OP) without any CGI or obvious rear screen and there are scenes when the train stops at a rural location which evoke FRWL. Composer Bruce Broughton does a great job too, with a suspenseful score which elevates the proceedings. Hackman is his usual entertaining self and is a delight to watch here. His character is an ex navy man and therefore able to handle himself, which he has to do on quite a few occasions given the threats. Archer is somewhat wasted, but she's still an interesting actress to watch. Great supporting actors like James Sikking, Nigel Bennett & J.A. Preston also star.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Narrow Margin (1990)
    pR5Za6p.jpg
    I really enjoyed this old school thriller starring Gene Hackman and Anne Archer. Deputy District Attorney Robert Caulfield (Hackman) is tasked with protecting Carol (Archer), who is witness to the murder of her blind date Michael Tarlow (the always excellent J.T. Walsh) by a notorious gangster Leo Watts (Harris Yulin). They are forced to escape on VIA Rail bound for Vancouver but unfortunately Watt's henchman are also on board. Caulfield must hide Carol & evade them throughout the long journey.

Director Peter Hyams (who also served as cinematographer) does a very good job in capturing the beauty of the Vancouver coastal mountains and keeps a good pace throughout. The fight scenes atop the train are quite realistic (evoking OP) without any CGI or obvious rear screen and there are scenes when the train stops at a rural location which evoke FRWL. Composer Bruce Broughton does a great job too, with a suspenseful score which elevates the proceedings. Hackman is his usual entertaining self and is a delight to watch here. His character is an ex navy man and therefore able to handle himself, which he has to do on quite a few occasions given the threats. Archer is somewhat wasted, but she's still an interesting actress to watch. Great supporting actors like James Sikking, Nigel Bennett & J.A. Preston also star.

That's a film that never seems to be shown on TV,i don't know why..I've seen it once years ago but not since.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    @bondjames Great choice, have you seen the original from 1952 as well? Its a classic low budget film noir that I would highly recommend if you like the 1990 version. I can't get enough of films that are predominantly set on trains.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @NSGW. No, I haven't seen the 1952 version but have heard of it. I am curious to see it now. Yes. I'm a sucker for films on trains as well. I love Murder On The Orient Express, The Cassandra Crossing, The Lady Vanishes (remake) and even enjoy the much maligned Under Siege 2. There's something about confined spaces and wilderness that's compelling in this genre. There's an element of old school glamour about a train ride too. I really enjoy skyscraper based films too (The Towering Inferno or Die Hard).
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited October 2017 Posts: 299
    @bondjames Me too The Towering Inferno is one of my favourites. I haven't seen The Cassandra Crossing but I'll add it to my list. As you probably are already aware of, there are of course many great Hitchcock films that are centered around trains too, I'd recommend The Lady Vanishes in particular if you like Murder On the Orient Express which also revolves around the murder of a passenger on a trip through Europe.
    Thanks again @NSGW. Coincidentally, I actually added The Lady Vanishes to my list above just before your post, because I recall I really enjoyed that too. However, I've only seen the hard to find colour remake starring Elliot Gould, Cybil Sheppard (dressed in a cream outift which probably inspired her Moonlighting look) and the great Angela Lansbury. I must see the original at some point.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,692
    Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Short review for this one to not ruin/spoil the experience of anyone who will go see the film in the next days/weeks: Hands down one of the best film I've ever seen. The film's cinematography has zero equal that I am aware of. Every set, every location, even every shot if a sight to behold. Ryan Gosling literally owned the screen in every scene, and Harrison Ford gives, IMO, his career-best performance. The rest of the cast is fantastic - Dave Bautista, Jared Leto, Robin Wright and others all give stunning performances. Hans Zimmer's music is not very melodic but I really liked the eery suspenseful feel his soundtrack gave at specific moments. There is one 20/25 minutes sequence in particular that may very well be the best scene I've witnessed in a film - I literally didn't move a muscle during the entirety of this sequence. This will probably (most likely even) be me #1 film of 2017. Denis Villeneuve just is the very definition of quality now.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Short review for this one to not ruin/spoil the experience of anyone who will go see the film in the next days/weeks: Hands down one of the best film I've ever seen. The film's cinematography has zero equal that I am aware of. Every set, every location, even every shot if a sight to behold. Ryan Gosling literally owned the screen in every scene, and Harrison Ford gives, IMO, his career-best performance. The rest of the cast is fantastic - Dave Bautista, Jared Leto, Robin Wright and others all give stunning performances. Hans Zimmer's music is not very melodic but I really liked the eery suspenseful feel his soundtrack gave at specific moments. There is one 20/25 minutes sequence in particular that may very well be the best scene I've witnessed in a film - I literally didn't move a muscle during the entirety of this sequence. This will probably (most likely even) be me #1 film of 2017. Denis Villeneuve just is the very definition of quality now.

Yes…but did you like it?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Yes…but did you like it?

Sadly not as much as @Thunderfinger likes Brosnan as Bond. ;)

Glad to read the positive review @DaltonCraig007. It looks like it will live up to the exorbitant hype. This could be the one to see for 2017. This year's eventual TDK or SF. Let's see if it has 'legs' at the box office. I'll be catching it on Friday in IMAX.
    Glad to read the positive review @DaltonCraig007. It looks like it will live up to the exorbitant hype. This could be the one to see for 2017. This year's eventual TDK or SF. Let's see if it has 'legs' at the box office. I'll be catching it on Friday in IMAX.

If it anything like TDK or SF I will not enjoy the movie I am afraid.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Lawrence of Arabia
    10/10
    Unparalleled.
    This film knocks it out of the park at every turn, fhe cinematography, the story, the acting, and the production are all excellent.
    Lawrence of Arabia
    10/10
    Unparalleled.
    This film knocks it out of the park at every turn, fhe cinematography, the story, the acting, and the production are all excellent.

Masterpiece
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 684
    001 wrote: »
    What's wrong with Darren Aronofsky ?
    Why would he make Noah (2014) ?
    Anyone seen it ?
    Yes, once when it first came out. I liked it more than the critical consensus. I preferred it to THE FOUNTAIN at any rate.
    Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Glad to hear this. Though I must instantly forget it to avoid the spoils of hype. ;)

Confession: I enjoy the original film enough, but I've never thought it a masterpiece. Nevertheless excited for 2049.
    Lawrence of Arabia
    10/10
    Unparalleled.
    One of the first films I hunted down and watched when I first started getting more into film. It's been a while since I last saw it. The cinematography, as you mentioned, is of course ace. Lean's editing is likewise superb (as is typical with him), the famous cut from the match to the desert being the shining example.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    Narrow Margin (1990)
    pR5Za6p.jpg

This is one of those films that I find transfixing. Something about its rhythm, the way it flows from scene to scene, with something interesting happening all the time.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Bear Island, on film 4. A great Alister Mclean adventure.
    @mattjoes , I agree. Peter Hyams does a splendid job of keeping it interesting, even in a claustrophobic train.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 2,081
    @Strog - Have you seen Requiem for a Dream? If yes, what did you think?

@bondjames - No, the question Friedkin insisted on getting an answer to was "Do you believe in God?"

---

She Done Him Wrong (1933)
    A Mae West movie. Okay, but kinda meh.

The Maltese Falcon (1941)
    Awesome. Beautiful. A classic.

The Search (1948)
    I continue exploring Montgomery Clift's filmography. Here he's an American soldier in Europe after WW2 who encounters a young concentration camp survivor who's looking for his mother. Both Clift and the kid are good.

A Place In The Sun (1951)
    This is based on novel and play, both called An American Tragedy. And it is. Directed by George Stevens, starring Montgomery Clift and Elizabeth Taylor.

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
    Directed by Elia Kazan, screenplay by Tennessee Williams (based on his own play), this is the story of the other ultra famous Vivien Leigh southern belle - though she was English herself - and her second Oscar as such as well. (Obviously the characters of Scarlett O'Hara and Blanche DuBois are entirely different.) Marlon Brando, Kim Hunter and Karl Malden are all good in supporting roles.

La Notte (1961)
    About alienation and a marriage falling apart. Beautifully made, but exhausting to watch.

The Detective (1968)
    Not my cup of tea, I was bored.

Scarface (1983)
    I wonder if Sidney Lumet's different ideas about this story would have resulted in something actually interesting. The Brian Palma version isn't.

Dazed and Confused (1993)
    An early Linklater movie. Ummm... right. Very unpleasant and pretty boring. I've seen this described as comedy. I have no idea where the comedy was.

Shakespeare In Love (1998)
    Silly, but kinda entertaining. Judi Dench did the best work here, a pity she wasn't in it more (though story-wise there was of course no reason she should have been).

Meet Joe Black (1998)
    Why on earth did anyone think this needed to be 3 hours long? Sure, it wouldn't have been good even at half the length, but why prolong the misery? Anthony Hopkins was doing pretty good acting work, though (or it just stood out because the bar wasn't very high here).
    Tuulia wrote: »
    @bondjames - No, the question Friedkin insisted on getting an answer to was "Do you believe in God?"
    That's interesting @Tuulia. I presume Friedkin is a god fearing man, who perhaps took offense at some of Aronofsky's imagery in mother!. Maybe he was just curious. I'd be ok with him questioning him on it though, given there is some reference to it in the film as long as he didn't badger him about it.

For the moment, I have to say that along with It, mother! is one of the best films I've seen all year.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Star Trek: Insurrection I enjoy the film more as time passes I guess it's my fondness for the characters, also Jerry Goldsmiths score just gets better and better it's truly phenomenal.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Forgot to mention I got to finally see Wind River almost a week ago and loved it. Might make my Top 10 of the year, was certainly one incredible film. Sheridan on fire as usual.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    That's interesting @Tuulia. I presume Friedkin is a god fearing man, who perhaps took offense at some of Aronofsky's imagery in mother!. Maybe he was just curious. I'd be ok with him questioning him on it though, given there is some reference to it in the film as long as he didn't badger him about it.

For the moment, I have to say that along with It, mother! is one of the best films I've seen all year.

I'd also be okay about the question itself, considering both mother! and Aronofsky's previous work like The Fountain and Noah - though personally I don't care what the answer would be - but not with the fact that when Aronofsky made it clear he didn't want to get into that conversation Friedkin didn't just drop it and move on to the next question (as a good and respectful interviewer would), but kept on... and on... I felt he had no right to that, and it made him seem like an ass, and didn't make the conversation better or more interesting in any way - quite contrary as it was unpleasant and utterly unfruitful.
    Hanna (2011)
    Good.
    Very underrated film.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Hellraiser (1987) dir. Clive Barker. Arrow Video - blu-ray. Well that was a blast from the past! Not seen that since the days of VHS, nice to see in proper aspect ratio and in HD quality. Disc is also loaded with lots of good extras, so look forward to watching all those sometime soon.
    'Jesus wept".
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Blade Runner , in preparation for BR 2049, that I'll be seeing later today.

I have to say it's very perplexing movie to experience each time, since I never know what my feelings towards it will be afterwards.

It might be because of tomorrow, that I found it better than tge last time I wathched it. Because after tomorrow I can't watch it as stand alone cult classic, I was prepared to watch it more open minded. BR2049 might break BR for me.

I usually love the visual and sound design, but don't hold Ford's performance in high regard. I usually see just bored Ford sleepwalking through the movie. I guess it could just seem to me like that. But more I think about it that might not be the case. He's supposed to be like that; retired blade runner, forced back to his old job that he doesn't much care about. With a drinking problem like some of the bored in life detectives in some noir fiction.

The story, even though pretty light is still as good as ever. Replicants are thinking living beings and faced with mortality and shorter than usual lifespan , Roy Batty and his band want to confront their maker , a god if you will, and grant them more years to live their life. Pretty simple stuff. But isn't that what all sentient beings want? Long lives, not cut too short.
    @mattjoes , I agree. Peter Hyams does a splendid job of keeping it interesting, even in a claustrophobic train.

Hyams is from a generation of directors that could build and create tension without blowing everything up and also doing it on a restricted budget. Outland and Capricorn One are good examples IMHO. As with Narrow Margin, a good balance of character, action and tension.

@patb, I didn't realize that Hyams did Capricorn One too. That's a great film.
    ---

Lions for Lambs (2007)
    VwdPkvu.jpg
    First viewing for me of this Robert Redford directed effort, which he also stars in along with fellow Hollywood heavy hitters Tom Cruise and Meryl Streep. It focuses on three interconnecting stories playing out in real time. The first features a college professor Stephen Malley (Redford) trying to instill a sense of purpose and civic pride/duty in his indifferent young student Todd Hayes (played by Andrew Garfield). The second features an ambitious Republican Senator Jasper Irving (Cruise) trying to sell a dogged & honest reporter Janine Roth (Streep) on his new war strategy in Afghanistan. The third features two young idealistic soldiers who happen to be former students of Malley's (played by Michael Pena and Derek Luke). They both enlisted in the military and are now at risk in Afghanistan due to the decisions made by Irving.

The performances are quite good in this relatively 'talky' effort, as can be expected given the high powered talent involved. However, the film really doesn't go anywhere and is a bit preachy. It's apparent that there is a 'political lean' to the narrative and it's laid on a bit thick on occasion. Moreover, for those interested in geopolitics (like myself) it doesn't really say anything new. However, what it does reasonably well is help the viewer think through the interconnectivity (and conflicts of interest) between the media and levels of government (which is more apparent than ever today), the relative apathy & ignorance of the general populace, and the power of the military industrial complex and defense industries (including intelligence agencies) in shaping foreign policy. It also offers a perspective on the need to stand up for one's principles and be counted, even if ultimately such choice is for the greater good at one's own expense.