Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,530
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Wonder Woman third viewing Gal Gadot humanity in taking on the character of WW is amazing, if there were no action scenes in this film it would not bother me, Gal emotes so much truth and compasion.

Oh yes. Totally agree.

Any comment I made would not do this film justice

The best since Superman The Movie?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    mattjoes wrote: »
    My Blue Heaven (1990). A light but pleasant film, fairly entertaining despite feeling fairly inconsequential. Makes me miss Rick Moranis.

@mattjoes

"What's arugula?"
    "Its a veg a tuble."

One of Steve Martin's most distinctive roles, I must say, beginning with the accent! ;)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    My Blue Heaven (1990). A light but pleasant film, fairly entertaining despite feeling fairly inconsequential. Makes me miss Rick Moranis.

@mattjoes

"What's arugula?"
    "Its a veg a tuble."

One of Steve Martin's most distinctive roles, I must say, beginning with the accent! ;)

"Have a nice day."
    "F..k you."

One of his most underrated roles
    Dr Strange.

Once I got through the opening sequence which was very mind blowing. I really got into this and enjoyed it thoroughly. I thought Thor would make an appearance towards the end. Really looking forward to seeing Thor Ragnorok next month now.
    Another Mie Hama classic : King Kong Escapes. Good fun. Especially hilarious was that the villain was named Doctor Who (and even wore the clothes of the first Doctor (Hartnell), but also that the heroine/Damsel in Distress / Kong's crush was named Susan :))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2017 Posts: 17,694
    Wonder Woman third viewing Gal Gadot humanity in taking on the character of WW is amazing, if there were no action scenes in this film it would not bother me, Gal emotes so much truth and compasion.

Oh yes. Totally agree.

I'd say so, yes.
    Iron Man was there, and Winter Soldier too...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Oh yes. Totally agree.

Wow, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Really happy this film has impressed you beyond belief. Definitely one of my all-time favorites, simply for the feelings it gave me as I watched it and for the flaws it has I find so many ample pluses that make me forget them.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 684
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks @Strog. I'm actually an Aronofsky novice, and have a lot of catching up to do in regards to his films. I will get to them eventually. It was primarily Lawrence and Bardem which drew me to catch mother! in the theatre, and I'm glad I did.

I've also of course heard of The Long Goodbye but haven't seen that either. Your comments have inspired me to seek it out, which I will do shortly. I agree on your additional points re: Chinatown. Jake is haunted by his past in the neighbourhood and that influences his behaviour over the course of the film. The events of his past are even referenced in the fatalism inherent in the famous last lines of the film.
    @bondjames I hadn't thought of that re: the line line, but you're correct.

I know you often post your reviews in here, so whenever you do get around to THE LONG GOODBYE I look forward to hearing your take on it.

--

Here's an overview of my week. Haven't had much time to update as I watch.

STEAMBOAT BILL, JR. (1928) / Buster Keaton & Charles Reisner - Top tier Keaton. Wish Marion Byron had had a bigger career. She’s great in this.

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE (1937) / Fritz Lang - A good film, though not as captivating as his German stuff. Looking forward to a few more of his American films in the weeks ahead.

THE FOUNTAIN (2006) / Darren Aronofsky - An appreciable mishmash of ideas. Certainly ambitious. Ultimately falls short of what it's attempting to do (not majorly however). I like Aronofsky more restrained than this on the whole. I'd like to revisit both THE WRESTLER and BLACK SWAN soon.

WILD AT HEART (1990) & INLAND EMPIRE (2006) / David Lynch - In the wake of the excellent third season of Twin Peaks I find myself on a Lynch kick. WILD AT HEART is somewhat overly maligned. Watching it this time, the first half isn’t nearly as poor as I remembered. I’ve long loved the second half. For all intents and purposes I find the entire thing on par with BLUE VELVET, though if I were forced to make a ranking it would probably slot in just behind. INLAND EMPIRE was still difficult to digest, but I'm determined to come back again. I'm not satisfied with any of the theories I've read (not entirely). Lynch's career since FIRE WALK WITH ME has increasingly brought the medium of film closer to the painter's canvas. I think this is the first principle in trying to understand this film. INLAND EMPIRE has no hope of being understood linearly, one minute to the next. The full picture in mind, I look forward to coming back to this one down the road.

DAYS OF BEING WILD (1990) / Wong Kar-wai - Great stuff. Kar-wai's 'plot' is more like an assemblage of character moments, but the imagery creates a pitch perfect mood match to the lives of characters, and that's enough to pull you along for the ride.

NOSFERATU (1922) / F.W. Murnau - I respect this one's place in film history, but it really didn't connect with me for some reason. A few great shots that are artwork in their own right, but aside from that it fell somewhat flat I'm afraid.

L’AVVENTURA (1960) / Michelangelo Antonioni - Posted my thoughts over in the Film Club thread. Greatly liked it.

PICNIC ON THE GRASS (1959) / Jean Renoir - This is a gem. See this! Worth watching alone just to stare at the colors. Every frame is indeed a painting in this case, masterfully staged by Renoir and excellently evoking the paintings of his father. The story itself is comedic in a very Shakespearean way. I felt pure bliss watching this, and I can see myself returning to it many times in the future.

MODERN TIMES (1936) / Charlie Chaplin - Thank heavens I finally got around to this. Now my favorite Chaplin. I adore Tati's PLAYTIME (1967) and it's easy to see how this might have served in part as its springboard (both technically and spiritually). Also much impressed with Chaplin's use of sound here. What a grand finale for The Tramp. Another I will love coming back to.

TRICKED (2012) / Paul Verhoeven - Now here's an interesting one. This was originally made as a competition film, split into eight parts which eight teams were assigned to film. Verhoeven filmed a separate, cumulative version of his own. It's understandably the least-Verhoeven like film I've seen from him, yet it's surprisingly typical of his stuff in particular details, and on the whole it comes together more seamlessly than perhaps expected.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Oh yes. Totally agree.

Wow, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Really happy this film has impressed you beyond belief. Definitely one of my all-time favorites, simply for the feelings it gave me as I watched it and for the flaws it has I find so many ample pluses that make me forget them.

It gets better with every rewatch I am liking the ending more than I did initially, though I am a fan of David Thewlis he played one of my favourite Harry Potter characters. WW does indeed have good rewatchability due to the emotion in the film, DC have done well to keep the same team to do the sequel.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    The first color version of Anthony Hope's classic adventure novel featuring a memorable sword fight between Granger and Mason at the finale:

Poster%20-%20Prisoner%20of%20Zenda,%20The%20(1952)_03.jpg
    2 Fast 2 Furious It's better than I remember it, not as crazy as the later films though an easy watch.
    steve-mcqueen-poster_SI.jpg?itok=lVxOcK5u
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    while it was visually incredible, it was so boring and drawn out that I can't say I enjoyed it. There were good scenes, and incredible moments. The concepts were explored really well and the meaning to the film is good but, its so slow. It moves at snail speed.
    maybe a 5/10

Side note I didn't quite understand what happens in the end.
    Who is the baby?
    Where is the room he is in?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,612
    @JamesBondKenya
    The room is a simulation prepared by the aliens who have since the dawn of man been monitoring us and helping us to make progress. They have allowed Bowman to travel to their part of space and in this "familiar" environment, built from his memories, they want to put him under further observation. In Clarke's novel it is made obvious that the room features props that look the same but are made from different materials than on Earth. So the aliens, no matter how intelligent, got it only half right.

When Bowman dies, the aliens allow him a resurrection of sorts; as the "space baby" he is allowed to return to Earth. In the novel, this reborn conciousness will make all the nuclear missiles in space explode. In the second book, Odyssey 2, the space baby will communicate with a few people. The latter also happens in Peter Hyams' sequel to 2001, based on Clarke's book.

It's important to grasp the metaphors, but that doesn't make 2001 all symbolism and nothing else. Once you've discovered that a superior alien race is guiding mankind through his evolution, using the monoliths as devices with multiple functions, many things become clearer. Also, you accept a certain amount of "incomprehensible" things, since we aren't yet sophisticated enough to understand what the aliens can do. These are not divine mysteries; simply higher-intelligence beings who explore the universe and every once in a while check up on us. Clarke's four Odyssey books eventually take us on a truly amazing journey to Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, and they explore what happens with Floyd and, believe it or not, Frank Poole.

I would like to recommend that if you're interested, you at least read Clarke's original novel, written while Kubrick was making the film. I found it very helpful to make the film much more accessible. It's short enough; you can get through it quickly, but it's an enlightening experience and, though this is a personal comment of course, an exceptionally fascinating journey. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I love THE DETECTIVE! Excellent movie, great performance by Sinatra.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Bladerunner 1982

Always a pleasure and never a chore, the Final Cut as it's only version I have. Just masterful, the story is pretty simple and nothing ground breaking but it's the visuals and the atmosphere that sets this apart from other films.

Although Alien will always remain my favourite film from Ridley the influence is unmistakeable, sets me up nicely for BR 2049 in IMAX next Saturday afternoon.

5/5
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    American Made (2017)
    7v6xayO.jpg

Just got back. I enjoyed it. Liked it even. However, I didn’t love it. Doug Liman’s (The Bourne Identity) dark comedy biopic about a TWA pilot turned CIA drug runner/arms trader/snoop middle man is entertaining and very slickly made. It moves at a good clip throughout its roughly two hour run time as well, starting at the point when Barry Seal (Tom Cruise) is recruited by Uncle Sam (via CIA operative Monty 'Schafer', played by Domhnall Gleeson) to serve his country as a spy due to his flexible morals. Seal knows the risks but seizes the opportunity, being a 'fly by the seat of his pants' kind of guy, literally as well as figuratively. The one thing Seal does is deliver consistently, and therefore the financial rewards come in spades in time, but the dangers mount as well. Eventually the whole nasty business is exposed, allegiances change, and Seal is forced into a compromising position attempting to play two powerful sides (the US govt. and the notorious Medellin cartel) against the middle.

This film hinges on Cruise’s performance, and he is very watchable as the unscrupulous, but strangely likeable huckster Seal. It’s refreshing to see him do some real acting again, and he pulls off a Louisiana twang admirably while bringing his swagger to the character. Sarah Wright is very good too as wife Lucy, but she’s not given too much to do except get upset at Seal’s constant shenanigans. Doug Liman is a really versatile director. I’ve enjoyed many of his films, including Swingers, the aforementioned first Bourne entry, Edge of Tomorrow and Fair Game. He and cinematographer Cesar Charlone give this film a raw, almost newsreel style aesthetic. It’s really quite stylized and stunning to look at in places.

So why didn’t I love it? The film covers a lot of ground (roughly 8 years of Seal’s life) in 2 hours, and therefore is quite exposition and plot heavy. However I didn't feel that it developed many of the secondary characters all that well. We see them come in and out of the picture but they are basically cardboard characters. Moreover, most of the supporting individuals here are unsavoury and flawed. Finally, Seal himself is a bit of an anti-hero, so it’s difficult to root for any of them. It’s nevertheless a testament to Cruise’s star power and charms that he is immensely likable on screen, and his Seal is a believable and interesting character in the film. I just wish we had more opportunity to see beneath and understand his motivations more. After all, he became a very important cog in a grand covert scheme of deception, but here we only see a surface level ‘shoot first ask questions later’ sort of thrill seeker. While it takes a certain kind of audacity to do what he did, I’d like to think there were moments of self doubt and contemplation, and we don’t really get to see any of that. Still, it’s a minor criticism. This is well worth a watch to understand the lengths the US govt. will go to in order to achieve its geopolitical aims, and also to see Mr. Cruise deliver one of his best performances in some time. Recommended.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,692
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, @bondjames. I hope you'll get to see The Foreigner and The Snowman in the upcoming 3 weeks, as I'll get both of them a few weeks after the North American release, and I am awaiting your reviews on these 2 films with excitement!
    Just watching Dredd, forgotten how good it is. Very John Carpenter with lots of Dirty Harry thrown in. Urban really should be a bigger star. He nails it.

"It's all the deep end." Wonderful line
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @patb I read your latest post on the B25 Production thread about Denis Villeneuve's impressive talents as director, I think Alex Garland was also 'made' in that same mould, his resume as writer and/or director is very impressive too - 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Dredd, Ex Machina. And the recently released trailer for Annihilation looks insanely good.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, @bondjames. I hope you'll get to see The Foreigner and The Snowman in the upcoming 3 weeks, as I'll get both of them a few weeks after the North American release, and I am awaiting your reviews on these 2 films with excitement!
    @DaltonCraig007, my movie watchlist is packed for the next few weeks. I've yet to see Flatliners (which I hope to get to in a few days). Then there's BR2047 and The Mountain Between Us next week, followed by The Foreigner, Mark Felt, Happy Death Day & Professor Marston & the Wonder Women the following week. I think we only get The Snowman on the 20th, but I know the French release date is towards the end of November. That's one I'm really looking forward to (love the dark thrillers).
    @bonjames October will be calm for me, only a few films (BR2049, Kingsman 2 and Thor Ragnarok), but November is when it will pick up for me. Mark Felt, Geostorm, The Foreigner, You Were Never Really Here (the Joaquin Phoenix revenge flick), Justice League, Death Wish, The Snowman, Suburbicon, Star Wars 8, Murder on the Orient Express, Jumanji and finally All the Money in the World in the last week of December. 2018 is looking to start very well, with such films as White Boy Rick, The Commuter, Black Panther. But many big US release coming in the next 2 months are still without release dates here, so tough to figure out which films to see or skip as I need to fit these cinema trips in my weekly schedule.
    That's a great list @DaltonCraig007. Yes, there are certainly a lot of interesting films coming out in the next few months. I've found 2017 to be a bit sparse to date, but finally it looks like we'll have quite a bit to look forward to. As I've complained about before, I wish studios wouldn't stagger the releases globally, just so we could all discuss these films while they are fresh in all of our minds. I hope technology forces them to do it all at once soon enough.
    affiche-L-Affaire-Al-Capone-The-St-Valentine-s-Day-Massacre-1967-3.jpg
    Fast & the Furious 7, bought it for my daughters and they love it and always tell me that 007 should stay away from car or motorstunts unless they can better F&tF or MI. And I kinda agree these two franchises are very good at it. I find this franchise just great over the top entertainment that you can enjoy a lot. With the Rock & Statham they have absolute screenwinners.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Fast & the Furious 7, bought it for my daughters and they love it and always tell me that 007 should stay away from car or motorstunts unless they can better F&tF or MI. And I kinda agree these two franchises are very good at it. I find this franchise just great over the top entertainment that you can enjoy a lot. With the Rock & Statham they have absolute screenwinners.

Can you call them 'stunts' in F&F when they're mostly all CGI....?

Baby Driver did it for real. And boy does it look better!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,612
    @LeonardPine
    I think both films/series are different. Baby Driver is Rock-'n-roll with a touch of punk rock. F&F is hip-hop, rap and RnB with an occasional leap into metal music. Depending on my mood, I can go with either of both. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    patb wrote: »
    Just watching Dredd, forgotten how good it is. Very John Carpenter with lots of Dirty Harry thrown in. Urban really should be a bigger star. He nails it.

He really does nail the part, unlike Stallone, who was a joke in it.
    patb wrote: »

He really does nail the part, unlike Stallone, who was a joke in it.

I liked Dredd too. I'll have to watch it again if i have time.
    I watch too many Bond films. :)